Training Camp Thread (Open practice live on PG.3)

Discuss New York Knicks news, current events, players, and history.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv, cru77jones

Re: Training Camp Thread

Postby rebound » September 26, 2018, 8:56 pm

N8theGR8 wrote:Wow, here's another big change - Tim Hardaway Jr. Did not notice as much, but compare once again:

2017:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evgcwdLWOG8

2018:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBptiabAszc

It will be interesting to see how this will translate on the court - especially with his shooting. Would love to see more effective driving hard to the rim!

hopefully there are no negative consequences.
he was traumatized having to guard guys with 30 pounds on him last season.
Team Mills
rebound

Postby rebound » September 26, 2018, 10:57 pm

day 2's scrimmage showed

mudiay,tim,knox,mario,kanter
against
trey,lee,frank,lance,mitch
Team Mills
rebound

Postby gradyandrew » September 27, 2018, 2:17 am

nice, knicks have the exact same talent from spots 1-10, which either means we're awesome or we're terrible.
This is a FAN page that relies on its members for content and commentary. So don't be a lurker, be a POSTER, even if it's just a picture of a fat guy eating a hamburger.
gradyandrew

Postby NYGM » September 27, 2018, 8:03 am

rebound wrote:day 2's scrimmage showed

mudiay,tim,knox,mario,kanter
against
trey,lee,frank,lance,mitch

Knox and Mario is a interesting combination.. Both can play some point forward.
NYGM

Postby thewatcher » September 27, 2018, 8:31 am

Looks like Nilkita is going to moonlight at SF with all the guards we have. I like it! :thumbsup: he needs playing time, and a reduction in pressure, his talent will blossom with playing time.
n8 the gr8 wrote:
The first rule of NYKFP is you don't talk about NYKFP.
thewatcher

Postby NYGM » September 27, 2018, 9:38 am

thewatcher wrote:Looks like Nilkita is going to moonlight at SF with all the guards we have. I like it! :thumbsup: he needs playing time, and a reduction in pressure, his talent will blossom with playing time.

Last season he already looked bigger than THJ, so if he keeps growing a little bit would be closer to Ben Simmons than Lonzo Ball..

The beauty is you don't lose a bit on defense playing Frank PG, SG or SF..

I agree playing time is the key this year..
NYGM

Postby ISIAH_THOMAS » September 27, 2018, 1:01 pm

Allonzo Trier and Kevin Knox getting up shots at #Knicks practice. David Fizdale says Trier has a shot to make the 15-man roster.

https://mobile.twitter.com/AdamZagoria/ ... 6259463171
TAKE THAT FOR DATA
ISIAH_THOMAS

Postby thewatcher » September 27, 2018, 1:11 pm

Trier will be the biggest surprise of camp.
n8 the gr8 wrote:
The first rule of NYKFP is you don't talk about NYKFP.
thewatcher

Postby ISIAH_THOMAS » September 27, 2018, 3:05 pm

David Fizdale says Emmanuel Mudiay has improved his shot over the summer.

And

“He doesn’t turn the ball over, he’s probably the lowest turnover guy in camp right now”

I'll believe it when I see it
TAKE THAT FOR DATA
ISIAH_THOMAS

Postby Koopa Troopa » September 27, 2018, 3:26 pm

ISIAH_THOMAS wrote:David Fizdale says Emmanuel Mudiay has improved his shot over the summer.

And

“He doesn’t turn the ball over, he’s probably the lowest turnover guy in camp right now”

I'll believe it when I see it

Not turning the ball over against the Knicks defense doesn't sound too tough :laugh:
Koopa Troopa

Postby StevoStarks » September 27, 2018, 5:09 pm

thewatcher wrote:Trier will be the biggest surprise of camp.

I'm a fan of this kid. I hope he makes the team and can get some garbage minutes.
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
- Dr. Seuss

"Woody was the perfect coach for these mutts."
- taowave

"Is he REALLY injured?? A part of me doesnt believe that he is and I think he's just being a bitch. Bitch-nani."
- rynyk222
StevoStarks
Writer

Postby rebound » September 27, 2018, 6:09 pm

trier best case scenario is jamal crawford. i don't think he'll put it together but i'd like to be proven wrong :D
Team Mills
rebound

Postby Don Che » September 27, 2018, 11:32 pm

jamal was on another planet talent wise as a prospect at Triers age.

Frank's best situation is being 1 of 2 or even 3 playmakers

Trey or Mudiay/Frank/Knox/Mario would put 4 guys who can create at the top of the key to some degree which will make Frank look better.

Frank just has to focus on the 3 and finishing at the rim...after that itll fall into place

but to be clear Ben Simmons is 6'10 240......Frank will never in that realm. hes a guard or a average size wing.
Don Che

Postby Nononsense » September 28, 2018, 9:54 am

What's up with the lack of video footage of the practices? >:(
Nononsense

Postby NYGM » September 28, 2018, 12:40 pm

Don Che wrote:jamal was on another planet talent wise as a prospect at Triers age.

Frank's best situation is being 1 of 2 or even 3 playmakers

Trey or Mudiay/Frank/Knox/Mario would put 4 guys who can create at the top of the key to some degree which will make Frank look better.

Frank just has to focus on the 3 and finishing at the rim...after that itll fall into place

but to be clear Ben Simmons is 6'10 240......Frank will never in that realm. hes a guard or a average size wing.

Yeah, I hear you.. Size wise Frank won't be in the Ben Simmons category, but if he can get to 6'8 who knows..

He looked pretty big for a 6'5 guy last season.. He was more a wing in size than THJ.. If he keeps working on his body could be easily get into SG-SF territory and not in average size but legitimate
NYGM

Postby Don Che » September 28, 2018, 1:42 pm

feel like we are discussing Frank on multiple threads but to me...hes a guard ..6'6 with a 7 foot wingspan is still a guard to me especially the way he moves.

his best advantage is defending guards but on offense I'd love to see 3 playmakers on the floor...the pecking order doesn't matter.

I always felt having 1 orchestrator is just as limiting as iso ball...easy to defend...I've been calling for us to get playmakers at multiple positions for years ...we may have that now. I'm just enjoying the ride

and once June comes.....I'll be looking to draft another one
Don Che

Postby Don Che » September 28, 2018, 1:46 pm

Fiz has really made 2 things stand out in camp

1. starting gig is open
2. defend and rebound ...offense is wide open and flexible.

1 is how u build trust.....2 reminds me of Holzman ...he legit said if u defend we will do whatever u want on offense lol which is absurd to say now since the game has advanced but it's a similar wave of thought
Don Che

Postby NYGM » September 28, 2018, 4:53 pm

Wow! Under Holzman those guys shared the ball.. Hit the open man..

A lot of coaches have tried to implement the defense first and open offense second.. but takes a hughe commitment (and talent) from the players to make it work..

As long as Fiz keeps giving PT to those who play defense and share the ball it will be progress..
NYGM

Postby Don Che » September 28, 2018, 5:46 pm

NYGM wrote:Wow! Under Holzman those guys shared the ball.. Hit the open man..

A lot of coaches have tried to implement the defense first and open offense second.. but takes a hughe commitment (and talent) from the players to make it work..

As long as Fiz keeps giving PT to those who play defense and share the ball it will be progress..

agreed and that's been my point from the beginning of this rebuild....and yes every coach says that but not every coach had 100% back from the front office and actively got players who are athletic and can pass.

https://youtu.be/DVEpKrTId3Y

check this vid on Kerr discussing his defense...and if you envision Frank in Klays position defense wise esp since they are similar in size it's a great point of attack.

defend multiple spots/ pass the ball effectively/ shoot the 3.

if you look at the 70's Knicks they were ahead of their time...they passed in a free flow offense ...had multiple playmakers...guys who spread the floor. and I'm not saying build the team like theirs but it's just something as a NBA psycho it just clicked in my mind when hearing Fiz and seeing the wave we are building

and that's why I wanted Mikal over Knox....I like knox's ceiling and I see his work ethic which I like but I question things in his game...but at 18 years old he has plenty of time to work on them. my frame of thought is to have 1-4 able to switch...and have KP at the rim. on offense u can have 5 guys who shoot the 3 and create open lanes to attack since u cant pack the paint OR work out the post either way works idc but those 3 principles has been my vision since 2015. and I'm just patiently waiting to see the stars align
Don Che

Postby nazrmohamed » September 28, 2018, 7:11 pm

Wed need plus rebounders at every other position if you put KP at C. And you don't just need defenders, you need at least one dirty defender in that group. Draymond Green type and then sign me up. Doesnt have to be Draymon not does it have to be a PF but somebody on our team needs to develop into a hated NBA player if you want finesse at C.
Somebody who hates making friends but smart enough to manipulate players phychologically. We dont have that yet. Kanter is sorta like that but only applies that offensively. We need that on defense.
PHISHER
nazrmohamed

PreviousNext

Return to New York Knicks