Training Camp Thread (Open practice live on PG.3)

Discuss New York Knicks news, current events, players, and history.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv, cru77jones

Training Camp Thread (Open practice live on PG.3)

Postby ISIAH_THOMAS » September 25, 2018, 2:07 pm

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dn9WD5iWsAAwClI?format=jpg training camp has begun

KP in the building

Knox will always be easy to spot with those bright color Pumas

https://mobile.twitter.com/MikeVorkunov ... start%3D20 video
Last edited by ISIAH_THOMAS on September 29, 2018, 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TAKE THAT FOR DATA
ISIAH_THOMAS

Re: Training Camp Thread

Postby ISIAH_THOMAS » September 25, 2018, 2:48 pm

Stefan Bondy
Stefan Bondy
@SBondyNYDN
David Fizdale’s message on first day of training camp: All five starting spots are open.

I'd be shocked if timmy and kanter don't start
TAKE THAT FOR DATA
ISIAH_THOMAS

Postby thewatcher » September 25, 2018, 3:46 pm

Great message, but yeah Kanter and Tim will start; the question I have is do you start Knox? I'm the biggest supporter of Fort Knox, but you may want to start the 19 year old's career as a sub. It show's the team he won't be catered to.
n8 the gr8 wrote:
The first rule of NYKFP is you don't talk about NYKFP.
thewatcher

Postby Starbury3 » September 25, 2018, 3:50 pm

Herzonja contested the shot and made the layup on the other end.

Ron Baker missing the pass on the other end. Get this guy off the team.
Starbury3

Postby ISIAH_THOMAS » September 25, 2018, 4:32 pm

TAKE THAT FOR DATA
ISIAH_THOMAS

Postby thewatcher » September 25, 2018, 4:37 pm

^^ "this might be the beginning of a beautiful friendship".
n8 the gr8 wrote:
thewatcher

Postby N8theGR8 » September 25, 2018, 4:54 pm

They already share the same barber.
ONCE A KNICK, ALWAYS A KNICK.
N8theGR8

Postby ISIAH_THOMAS » September 25, 2018, 5:18 pm

TAKE THAT FOR DATA
ISIAH_THOMAS

Postby gradyandrew » September 25, 2018, 6:43 pm

Starbury3 wrote:Herzonja contested the shot and made the layup on the other end.

Ron Baker missing the pass on the other end. Get this guy off the team.

Nice avatar!
This is a FAN page that relies on its members for content and commentary. So don't be a lurker, be a POSTER, even if it's just a picture of a fat guy eating a hamburger.
gradyandrew

Postby nazrmohamed » September 25, 2018, 9:16 pm

ISIAH_THOMAS wrote:Image

Man look at those shoulders. Those folks are the shoulders of a guy who will fill out and be a beast. Throw in long arms and you got the makings of a premiere C. I know people wanna run until forever, but when healthy you'll see KP sandwiched between these two and we'll have the longest team in the NBA that hopefully are two way players. I'm dreaming I know but this is what I fully expect to happen.
PHISHER
nazrmohamed

Postby Don Che » September 26, 2018, 10:14 am

Defense with those 3 can be special if Knox really takes that on as a mindset.

Question tho.....Knowing where we are as a team...would you start Mitchell out the gate if he shows promise in camp?
Don Che

Postby Don Che » September 26, 2018, 1:24 pm

http://thesportsdaily.com/2018/09/25/kn ... o-hezonja/

i really do see Mario being a toni kukoc type of role off the bench

or a playmaker/sniper on the perimeter with Knox.

I havent seen videos but keep an eye out for Kadeem..been mentioning him for a while now. Fiz likes dogs....Kadeem is the biggest dog in camp and if I'm him...i'm looking at Mudiay/Baker and even Tim as food.
Don Che

Postby taowave » September 26, 2018, 3:09 pm

I thought you were down on our front court and D??

Don Che wrote:Defense with those 3 can be special if Knox really takes that on as a mindset.

Question tho.....Knowing where we are as a team...would you start Mitchell out the gate if he shows promise in camp?
taowave

Postby Don Che » September 26, 2018, 4:51 pm

main word in that sentence is "can" and "if". I've seen guys with more talent than Knox fail but I've seen guys with less talent be all stars...like Jimmy Butler now that I think of it.

they have the tools but I question the heart/grit and IQ from those 3 from a defensive and playmaking pov.

specifically Knox...he has to prove he's a dog. I'm actually more confident in Mitch fulfilling his role purelly because that role is strictly tools and motor. Mitch has both. He just needs to work on not fouling out.

Knox naturally is a scorer but his tools/height wingspan and frame he can be a impact player on defense and the boards....guy on the sem high spectrum is Khris Middleton/Rudy Gay/Rashard Lewis type of guy if things go somewhat right. But he can also be Tim Thomas or Beasley...and all the guys I just named are very talented but its the IQ and heart that separates them.

I'll be focusing on Knox's tangiables..he already has tools you can't teach.
Don Che

Postby Don Che » September 26, 2018, 4:52 pm

David Fizdale was adamant contract & seniority won't influence the Knicks' starting lineup.
“No one is promised a starting position. I got freedom to do what I want to do from my bosses over there. So it’s open. Don’t matter if you make a lot of money or you make a little money."

If Fiz walks the walk with this....we are in good hands. And Mills/Perry backing him is the first time has happened since the Grunnie/Woodson pairing.
Don Che

Postby N8theGR8 » September 26, 2018, 5:14 pm

It seems Fiz is allowing this week in training camp, in isolated fashion, be the test to determine who starts Monday. If that's the case, all Mitch has to do is dominate Kanter on both ends of the floor - and boom. He's starting.

Let's also not give a starting job more prominence than necessary. Mitch and Enes can certainly end up with the same mpg. Fiz should simply finish the game with the stronger performer of the night.

Same argument for Frank and Burke. Some of yall know (and I know full well that I am in the minority) that I have been down on Frank based on his first season. I know full well his age, and his ability to potentially develop. I just saw too many things in terms of instincts, hesitation, etc. on offense that really bothered me and made me feel he will never get the offense to set properly. However, in Fiz's program of "position-less" basketball, and other ball handlers like Mario on the team (and even Knox potentially) this particular weakness of Frank can be compensated for. His defensive prowess is unquestioned, and will be even more impactful this year with the added beef and height. I will go into this season with an open mind and fresh slate for Frank - however if in the first 10 games I see the same shit as last year, I will be calling to deal him ASAP - as his value is likely as high as it can possibly be right now with all of the upside and talk. Either that, or simply let him play an appropriate role off the bench as a backcourt defensive stopper - and NOT as our "future" at the 1 as a starter.
N8theGR8

Postby thewatcher » September 26, 2018, 5:34 pm

Mitch won't start aheah of Kanter, nor should he; if anything the PF position may be more up for grabs. Kanter's rebounding keeps us respectable; don't start the rookies, maybe knox, but definitely not Mitch.
n8 the gr8 wrote:
thewatcher

Postby N8theGR8 » September 26, 2018, 6:25 pm

It's funny we've heard over and over about Frank's addition of 10-15lbs of muscle, but did yall peep KP's physique?

I didn't notice as much as first, but compare KP from 2018 media day to 2017 media day below:

2017:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cg3vMSkJd2Q

2018:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aV9O7yBIq00

Let's just hope it doesn't create additional stress on his knee!
N8theGR8

Postby N8theGR8 » September 26, 2018, 6:29 pm

Wow, here's another big change - Tim Hardaway Jr. Did not notice as much, but compare once again:

2017:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evgcwdLWOG8

2018:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBptiabAszc

It will be interesting to see how this will translate on the court - especially with his shooting. Would love to see more effective driving hard to the rim!
N8theGR8

Postby NYGM » September 26, 2018, 9:14 pm

Thank god we are just fans..

No need to call for a trade or something..

Frank is still growing!!!.. He could very well end as Point Forward down the road, there are so many examples of players who needed 3 or more years to figure it out..

I like Frank just for being able to defend his position and some.. The kid was a very good defended as a rookie, WTF is not to like?..

After all these years praying for players who care bout defense and now we're ready to trade one of our best defenders? And a perimeter defender who's a hot commodity in the league.
NYGM

Next

Return to New York Knicks