Preseason Game 1: Knicks @ Wizards 10/1 7pm ET MSG

Discuss New York Knicks news, current events, players, and history.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv, cru77jones

Re: Preseason Game 1: Knicks @ Wizards 10/1 7pm ET MSG

Postby Nononsense » October 1, 2018, 9:20 pm

My impressions:
The Good: Knox, Mitch, Trier, Burke, Lance, Hezonja, Kanter, Vonleh, and Dotson all impressed and should round out a 9-man rotation.
The Bad: THJ, Mudiay, and Baker should be trade fodder.
The Ugly: Walker, Hicks, et al are not NBA material and will be cut before the last game of preseason, so no need to even get worked up there fellas.

The Question Mark: The one guy who I can't figure out what to do with is Frank. Love the kid and it's still very early as this is just his second season, but I'm not sure he'll have much of an NBA career. I sure hope so, but he's just too slow with the ball in his hands. Even when playing off the ball, he's molasses when making an offensive move.
Nononsense

Postby Mr3037 » October 1, 2018, 10:23 pm

Nononsense wrote:My impressions:
The Good: Knox, Mitch, Trier, Burke, Lance, Hezonja, Kanter, Vonleh, and Dotson all impressed and should round out a 9-man rotation.
The Bad: THJ, Mudiay, and Baker should be trade fodder.
The Ugly: Walker, Hicks, et al are not NBA material and will be cut before the last game of preseason, so no need to even get worked up there fellas.

The Question Mark: The one guy who I can't figure out what to do with is Frank. Love the kid and it's still very early as this is just his second season, but I'm not sure he'll have much of an NBA career. I sure hope so, but he's just too slow with the ball in his hands. Even when playing off the ball, he's molasses when making an offensive move.

I couldn't agree more with all this.

It still shits me Lance is getting mins but if he's a good influence on guys like Robbo & Knox I will put up with him.

I've always said that Frank will be a bust while hoping he'd prove me wrong.
To me he's 1 of those guys that ALWAYS LOOKS like they CAN go to the next level BUT NEVER do....
NYK Fan since 92
NYKFP Fan since 04

26 years & counting...Bleeding Orange & Blue
Mr3037

Postby Starbury3 » October 1, 2018, 11:10 pm

It's been one game, be it preseason, for the guys first game of his second NBA season. Mind you he was also splitting time with 14 other rotation players for the sake of preseason.

When the fodder gets weeded out and Frank sees more PT plus logs more games, he'll be fine. Let's not freak out until he's had more time please.

We saw what he did in SL with more PT. Just be patient my friends.
Starbury3

Postby Koopa Troopa » October 1, 2018, 11:12 pm

Starbury3 wrote:It's been one game, be it preseason, for the guys first game of his second NBA season. Mind you he was also splitting time with 14 other rotation players for the sake of preseason.

When the fodder gets weeded out and Frank sees more PT plus logs more games, he'll be fine. Let's not freak out until he's had more time please.

We saw what he did in SL with more PT. Just be patient my friends.

Nah man, we got it all figured out after 1 pre season game :P

Seriously though Fizdale is the truth!!!!! Guy coached more in this one preseason game than Jeff did all of last season!
Koopa Troopa

Postby big_j_NY » October 1, 2018, 11:18 pm

Any1 notice that Courtney Lee DID NOT step one second on the floor tonite? He's not even listed as injured or anything, and Fizdale gave him the str8 DNP Coach's decision in the first pre-season game
#EmbraceTheTank2019

#InPorzingisWeTrust

Hassan Whiteside wrote:I'm just tryin...tryin 2 really get my NBA 2K rating up
big_j_NY

Postby spree#8 » October 2, 2018, 1:33 am

Courtney Lee has a strained neck and isn't practicing since Friday, so he is injured. What was interesting indeed, was that Trier and not Dotson took Lee's place in the rotation in the first half.
#knickstape
spree#8

Postby spree#8 » October 2, 2018, 2:23 am

Overall not much to see. Our starting line-up did well, winning their part of the game. The bad: Mudiay still can't finish and Ntilikina is still very timid. That way they won't even challenge for Burke's job. Lots of garbage time at the end of the first half and after the break.
#knickstape
spree#8

Postby thewatcher » October 2, 2018, 5:27 am

Spree, there was a lot to see from the new guys. Mitch changed the game, especially with Frank and Emmanuel to start the second half, they couldn't score. Knox showed he's headed to a lot of all-star games, damn he cleaned up the boards too? And Trier, undrafted, Emmanuel better get it together or Trier will come for his minutes, So 3 potential rotation players, with the 7th pick and a second rounder. :? :drunk: Throw in mario, who fit in perfectly (he reminds me of the Sixers PF Saric?) I'd say this was an amazing first look at these guys. :thumbsup:
n8 the gr8 wrote:
The first rule of NYKFP is you don't talk about NYKFP.
thewatcher

Postby thewatcher » October 2, 2018, 6:16 am

Loving Fiz, but man he's going to have a hard time satisfying players need for minutes. Love the way he got EVERYONE in last night. This squad really will require a 10 man rotation , with inclusion of the other guys too. Good thing Fiz is a salesman lol.
n8 the gr8 wrote:
thewatcher

Postby spree#8 » October 2, 2018, 6:33 am

What I meant with not much too see: there wasn't much surprising besides Trier being among the first ten guys being played.

The game was fine, but we won't start to learn more about this squad until the rotation will be shortened at the end of the preseason. Yesterday it was lots of reserves against lots of reserves for long stretches. The run at the start of the second half was nice, but let's not forget that it was the same 5 out there that lost the lead in the first half, so that was also just a nice little sprint.
#knickstape
spree#8

Postby thewatcher » October 2, 2018, 7:11 am

Fiz has his work cut out with mental cases Mudiay, Nilikita and Tim (who I thought had a good game). Posters need to be patient, Rome was not built in a day, I liked the smile on Emmanuel's face, these headcases need to relax first. 8-)
n8 the gr8 wrote:
thewatcher

Postby NYGM » October 2, 2018, 8:45 am

I agree, Fiz coaching looking great in this one.. Effort was there, th defense starting the second half with the bench was impressive and overall the team player solid a cohesive..

We need to keep evolving towards a more solid rotation but Mitch's play is refreshing he looked like a really good back up 5 in this one, so getting minutes baking up Kanter is possible..

Knox looked great and Mario effortless fitting in..

The guards are a mistery now with Trier showing something and Tim looking good to..

Frank would never play out of control IMO, he must be more agressive (wich he was) but he's not going to go like Tim or Trier (who doesn't know better).. Also playing some SF will be a challenge, he's bigger but he's a guard..

Mudiay looked a little more explosive but he still looks for the foul first and the basket second..
NYGM

Postby cragganmor » October 2, 2018, 9:42 am

spree#8 wrote:Courtney Lee has a strained neck and isn't practicing since Friday, so he is injured. What was interesting indeed, was that Trier and not Dotson took Lee's place in the rotation in the first half.

Trier's ability create and to shoot off the dribble is a need on this roster. Dot still looks inconsistent in traffic with his handle; it's fixable, but he needs better spacing to operate.
cragganmor

Postby Nononsense » October 2, 2018, 9:46 am

thewatcher wrote:Fiz has his work cut out with mental cases Mudiay, Nilikita and Tim (who I thought had a good game). Posters need to be patient, Rome was not built in a day, I liked the smile on Emmanuel's face, these headcases need to relax first. 8-)

We've been peddling this cliche for nearly two decades now. This has turned out to be the longest day in history. :D

But I get ya. New sheriff in town, new players, new system, etc.
Nononsense

Postby Don Che » October 2, 2018, 10:52 am

i like the style of play and effort...the only 2 things i can really judge Fiz on.

Fiz deserves the game ball on this one. Just fun to watch the game overall.
Don Che

Postby Isa Soulstar » October 2, 2018, 11:32 am

Koopa Troopa wrote:Lance Thomas can shoot threes we should keep him.

oOoO...Friends don't let friends VOTE REPUBLICAN...OoOo
Isa Soulstar
Writer

Postby Starbury3 » October 2, 2018, 2:20 pm

big_j_NY wrote:Any1 notice that Courtney Lee DID NOT step one second on the floor tonite? He's not even listed as injured or anything, and Fizdale gave him the str8 DNP Coach's decision in the first pre-season game

As Spree eluded to he is injured, HOWEVER I did notice he was especially quiet on the bench throughout the game and not his usual loud cheerleading type on the bench. He knows he's out IMO. Seems it too with his interviews and facial expressions in pictures.
Starbury3

Postby bobhait » October 2, 2018, 2:43 pm

we won’t come close to finding out what this team is until twenty games into the season. there’ll be a lot of nights of maddeningly bad basketball, but that’s alright - this is finally a really young team. Lance Thomas is the longest tenured Knick, and Courtney Lee is the oldest active player, older by a good decade over most of the rest of the roster
Hornacek Era prelude
bobhait

Postby gradyandrew » October 2, 2018, 3:46 pm

Night and day compared to last seasons first game. Fiz is a good coach, everyone of the starters knewvwhat they were doing.
This is a FAN page that relies on its members for content and commentary. So don't be a lurker, be a POSTER, even if it's just a picture of a fat guy eating a hamburger.
gradyandrew

Postby shakespeare » October 2, 2018, 4:08 pm

Nononsense wrote:We've been peddling this cliche for nearly two decades now. This has turned out to be the longest day in history.

Hilarious.
The Porzingis blessing is real.
#TeamTank
shakespeare
Writer

PreviousNext

Return to New York Knicks