We have a Christmas game again

Discuss New York Knicks news, current events, players, and history.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv

ISIAH_THOMAS
Likes given: 52

Vs the greek freak. No kp? Maybe the NBA is ready to sell New York Knox
Fxck Adam Silver
Rusty La Rue
Likes given: 794

Maybe that is the game where KP returns :blink:
2023 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
2020 Co-NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
"Everybody gets excited about youth except the coach, because he knows youth means mistakes, mistakes mean losses, losses means you're fired."
H20Knick
Likes given: 3

if kp returns by christmas, this franchise is dumber than I even thought possible
In Thibs we trust.

2018 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION
2015 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION
Rusty La Rue

H20Knick wrote:if kp returns by christmas, this franchise is dumber than I even thought possible
Why? If he mentally and physically ready he should play... To me it doesn't matter if that is November or March as long as he is ready...
"Everybody gets excited about youth except the coach, because he knows youth means mistakes, mistakes mean losses, losses means you're fired."
Don Che
Likes given: 9

nah....im with H20 on that one

unless we are in the 6th seed a month or 2 before the playoffs. I'd rather him sit.
cragganmor
Likes given: 93

Where KP is concerned, take baby steps, no need to force the issue and risk ruining his career.
H20Knick

Rusty La Rue wrote:
Why? If he mentally and physically ready he should play... To me it doesn't matter if that is November or March as long as he is ready...
the guy is 7'3 and his game is predicated on mobility. Im not treating him like a Baron Davis or Jamal Crawford or David West. He needs to be 101% before I even think about letting him step onto the court in an actual NBA game.

If he's 90+%, sure, let him practice

Like Don said, if we're the 6th seed in early Feb, sure. He plays.

If we're looking at a bottom 5 seed, I don't care if he's 150%, he's not stepping anywhere near the basketball court. I'm not giving up a shot at a full knicks career of RJ Barrett just so KP can play 3 extra months of basketball in 2019.
In Thibs we trust.

StevoStarks
Likes given: 9

H20Knick wrote:if kp returns by christmas, this franchise is dumber than I even thought possible
Rusty La Rue wrote:Why? If he mentally and physically ready he should play... To me it doesn't matter if that is November or March as long as he is ready...
I think most of us assume he won't be. And if he were, he would not be tested enough for the entire franchise and fan base to not cringe everytime he left his feet.

Time and patience are of the essence with KP.
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
- Dr. Seuss

"Woody was the perfect coach for these mutts."
- taowave

"Is he REALLY injured?? A part of me doesnt believe that he is and I think he's just being a bitch. Bitch-nani."
- rynyk222
Rusty La Rue

cragganmor wrote:Where KP is concerned, take baby steps, no need to force the issue and risk ruining his career.
Did I say play him when he is almost ready? I said play him if he is physically and mentally ready... That means that he is 100% ready :hammer: Of course you do not play him if it involves a higher risk of a new injury...
Rusty La Rue

StevoStarks wrote:I think most of us assume he won't be. And if he were, he would not be tested enough for the entire franchise and fan base to not cringe everytime he left his feet.

Time and patience are of the essence with KP.
Sure but my statement was not based on an assumption... I basically just said play him when he is ready if that is December, March or the 2019/20 season.

I do not know where this assumption that it would benefit KP to sit down the entire season? When he is medically cleared and feels mentally ready. There is now higher risk playing him this season compared to waiting.

Of course playing games are always a risk... but if that is our concern then KP might just retire... One of my best friends has been a physical therapist for two professional football (soccer) teams here in Denmark, (AGF & Randers FC) so I have had this discussion with him about if there is any gains with sitting out longer than necessary. And he told me... When you are cleared medically there are no benefits other than you are not game situations where there is a higher risk... you actually strengten the right mucsles in your body by playing, absorbing contact etc. of course there is always wear and tear by playing which could result in stress fractures etc. but we have to trust that the Knicks medical team does not activate KP before he is 100% ready and then there is no higher risk or anything gained (except a higher draft pick but that is another discussion) in regards to the ACL...
Rusty La Rue

H20Knick wrote:the guy is 7'3 and his game is predicated on mobility. Im not treating him like a Baron Davis or Jamal Crawford or David West. He needs to be 101% before I even think about letting him step onto the court in an actual NBA game.

If he's 90+%, sure, let him practice

Like Don said, if we're the 6th seed in early Feb, sure. He plays.

If we're looking at a bottom 5 seed, I don't care if he's 150%, he's not stepping anywhere near the basketball court. I'm not giving up a shot at a full knicks career of RJ Barrett just so KP can play 3 extra months of basketball in 2019.
Again did I ever mention playing him when he is not ready? I just do not share this tank mentality that have infested NYKfanpage because Philly got two (maybe 3) of their last 6 lottery picks right...
thewatcher
Likes given: 2608

I think I want him back in February-march even if he is ready by Christmas, the ideal scenario would be if these young guys formed a ferocious tenacity and without KP put us in the 8th-9th spot around February; if they can't learn to win without him, then give him the whole year off. But if this team refuses to lose, bring him back in March and get him ready for the playoffs. The unicorn should be groomed for the playoffs every year; I wish he was durable, but he doesn't seem built for 82 games + the playoffs.
n8 the gr8 wrote:
The first rule of NYKFP is you don't talk about NYKFP.
nazrmohamed
Likes given: 246

My original mindset was that he'd be coming back no sooner than right after All-star weekend. Of course I wanna tank but can't control of youngsters play well. If they do then sure, he might as well get in there and get reps with the A-team but probably on a minutes restriction
shakespeare
Likes given: 0

H20Knick wrote:I'm not giving up a shot at a full knicks career of RJ Barrett just so KP can play 3 extra months of basketball in 2019.
If this took place, I’d be highly disappointed in Porzingis, Fizdale and Perry. For the first time in a long time, I feel like the shotcallers have a vision as far as building a winner. To had known the agony of defeat in their respective NBA careers and not learned anything from the setback would be very disheartening. So, like you said, if New York finds themselves in a position to draft 1 of the Top 3 players in college then Porzingis gotta take 1 for the team.
#TeamTank
Championship 16/17
Likes given: 0

H20Knick wrote:
I actually prefer Cameron Reddish b/c he can be another playmaker next to Frank Nit. I would pick him over RJ Barret & Nassir Little bc he can run the PG position like a Joe Johnson/Lance Stephenson.
H20Knick

Championship 16/17 wrote:
I actually prefer Cameron Reddish b/c he can be another playmaker next to Frank Nit. I would pick him over RJ Barret & Nassir Little bc he can run the PG position like a Joe Johnson/Lance Stephenson.
i don't have a problem with that. I just didn't want to turn this thread into another "what position will KP play". If you go with Cameron, then you're talking KP at 5, Knox at 4, then Cameron at 3. This may be a defense/rebounding problem in the front court. Time will tell if Cam has the skills to be a 2 in the NBA, because Frank/Cam/Knox/KP/Mitch would be cool
In Thibs we trust.

nazrmohamed
Likes given: 246

I get that and trust me, I've been talking about this draft for a while now but it really all depends. If without KP we're at about .400 then that means we're probably out of the running for Barret anyway even if we lost every single game. I think we were right about there last year before KPs injury and then won maybe 3 more games all year and still ended up 9th. So if that's the case essentially you already done F'd up, might as well see if KP can get you to .500 lower seed and if you fail you're still at the end of the lottery but.....at least that summer FAs don't see you as that far away.

It's somewhat of an if, or, then situation

However, I don't think that will be the case. I don't think people understand how hard it is to win games with youth in this league. He'll, even KP is youth even though he's established. Knox will have some games where you think he's an all-star followed by games where you think he's a long way away. We're talking about a kid who probably won't have a Donovan Mitchell rookie season. It'll probably resemble more closely to Danillo Gallinaris. Well maybe I should say second year as Danillo .......let's not talk about it actually. Even if he were pretty consistent we're probably looking at a 16pt average, and that's pretty good actually. I expect to see THJ chucking and Kanter isoing. I do expect some individual improvement but I just don't see us at risk of losing a top 8 spot. And more likely a top 3.

Even the guys who talk about culture and learning to win I'm like "ok buddy, sure. Yeah, play hard and win". But in my mind I know it'll be futile.