What to do with Noah?

Discuss New York Knicks news, current events, players, and history.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv

What to do with Noah?

Keep him, and play him for 10-15 mpg, mentoring the young guys
55%
Keep him, but as far as possible from our younglings, Hornacek's style
9%
Wave him, and pay him his two remaining seasons ($18.5 million in 2018-19 and $19.3 million in 2019-20)
9%
Wave him before Sept 1st and stretch him ($7,565,000 per year from 2018-19 through 2022-23)
No votes
Wave him after Sept 1st and stretch him ($6.4 million per year from 2019-20 through 2021-22)
18%
Trade him - LOL
9%

Total votes: 11
NewlyKnicked
Likes given: 160

We are arguably doing fine with our rebuild. The FO stopped throwing money through the window, our roster should be one of the youngest next year, we have a coaching staff with developmental background, and we have our future draft picks. Mills/Perry have hinted that we are waiting in the shadows before making a big splash in next year's FA, thus starting the second phase of the process which should bring us back to glory after years of disarray. All is good and well... or is it?

We still have one gigantic monster in our closet that we need to take care to be real players: Noah's contract. Joakim still has two years and $37.5 millions left on the contract Phil Jackson famously signed him to just two summers ago (it feels like more than 2 years somehow). I know this issue has been discussed in other threads, but I wanted to gather all the options and see what fans thought the best one (or less worst in this case) was.

Few facts:
- Noah says he wants to stay, but he also said he wants pt
- If you choose trade, you better have a very convincing idea with bullet proof arguments
- I didn't mention a buy out option with Noah agreeing to leave money on the table because A) he isn't leaving a cent, B) we don't have any cap space this season.
2017 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
2020 Co-NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
2021 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
Don Che
Likes given: 9

Kanter has less of a value in our future than Noah does.

let Noah and Kanter battle it out.

same way we are letting trey frank and mudiay battle it out.

Mitchell is the future anyway....Noah backing him up next year would be ideal.....he passes defends and rebounds. things all teams need.

I forget how old he is but if hes 35 when we are good...hed give value to this young team. Frank Knox Mitch cant even drink yet...and KP is 22. they need vets who been in playoff wars and played the right way on the roster.

along with our potential lottery pick this year
gradyandrew
Likes given: 0

I think Jeff was trying to win games and that's why he never played Noah. For this season's tank squad he should be a perfect fit.
Randle in the Rafters
Don Che

just checked...hes 33.

we will be bad this year(assuming KP doesnt play and we just take the top10 pick)

impact pick/KP join....Frank will be 20..Knox 19...hopefully enter playoffs(if we grab kawhi or kyrie we are def a squad)

Noah will be 35 or 36....resign him as a vet min guy and he backs up Mitchell. our defense and ball movement stays solid with those guys roaming the paint alongside the best rim protector of the game last year.
taowave
Likes given: 817

Eh,they should both be gone.

Brooke Lopez got paid something like 3.5 mil this year..

We are paying close to 40 mil for those 2
Don Che

we wont release them....both are overpaid but you shouldn't get rid of a guy that's overpaid...just put him where he should be in the rotation and pay that structure once hes a FA.

plus on the low Kornet does everything Fiz likes in bigs....wouldn't surprise me that he gets minutes at some point
NewlyKnicked

Keeping Noah, hoping he's still serviceable sounds pretty good, but he does take a huge part of our salary cap. Money ($13mil) that could be easily used next FA. If I read Spree's projection right, we have $21mil right now. A lot of teams will be players next year with a big handful with more than $45mil of cap.

I'm very hesitant as to what would be the best solution. Noah is the stereotye of what a mentor should look like, except that I'm not sure he's ok to do the job. He reportedly wants pt, so he will be fighting Mitch and Luke for backup minutes behind Enes, possibly being a bad influence on our young lockeroom if things don't go his way. It's still no very clear what happened with Horny...

I'm leaning toward the middle ground with a stretch after Sept 1st to mitigate the effects of waiving him but still puting an end to this horrible mariage reeking of Phil's fingerprints.
NewlyKnicked

Kornet is just too slow footed for the league imo. Opponents can always resort to make him switch and go past him anytime they're short on ideas to score.
Plus, his 3pt % has been going down every season since his sophomore year in college.
Let's see him next season, but if he hasn't improve any, I'd much rather see Mitch learn
taowave
Likes given: 817

Just saying they are non events and not the Future.
Don Che wrote:we wont release them....both are overpaid but you shouldn't get rid of a guy that's overpaid...just put him where he should be in the rotation and pay that structure once hes a FA.

plus on the low Kornet does everything Fiz likes in bigs....wouldn't surprise me that he gets minutes at some point
Championship 16/17

I would include him in trade with Butler for another player, like Gorgui Dieng.

So Jimmy Butler forces a trade to New York at the trade deadline, we offer Tim Hardaway Jr, Trey Burke, and Damyean Dotson. Or loss him for nothing.

We gauge interest with Tom Thibs on acquiring Noah, he was an all-star in your program, he can still pass and play defense, but most importantly it moves KAT to PF, where I think he can excel like KP.

We offer Joakim Noah, Luke Kornet, Isaiah Hicks for Gorgui Deng. Deng I think has an extra year on his contract then Noah.

I ultimately think a trade with the Timberwolves is the only trade route.
NewlyKnicked

Championship 16/17 wrote:I would include him in trade with Butler for another player, like Gorgui Dieng.

So Jimmy Butler forces a trade to New York at the trade deadline, we offer Tim Hardaway Jr, Trey Burke, and Damyean Dotson. Or loss him for nothing.

We gauge interest with Tom Thibs on acquiring Noah, he was an all-star in your program, he can still pass and play defense, but most importantly it moves KAT to PF, where I think he can excel like KP.

We offer Joakim Noah, Luke Kornet, Isaiah Hicks for Gorgui Deng. Deng I think has an extra year on his contract then Noah.

I'm not sure what you're saying.

You mention THJ + Burke + Dotson for Butler. Where does Noah fit in that?

Then it's Noah + Kornet + Isaiah Hicks (2-way contract) for Dieng ($15.2mil next year, $16.2 in 2019-2020 and $17,3 in 2020-2021). So why would you want to do that for a 28-year old C who's def not going to be our #1 option?

I don't get it :?
Rusty La Rue
Likes given: 794

Championship 16/17 wrote:We gauge interest with Tom Thibs on acquiring Noah, he was an all-star in your program, he can still pass and play defense, but most importantly it moves KAT to PF, where I think he can excel like KP.

Why do we still try to act as Noah has any value... No team takes Noah unless we take back a worse contract... whick makes no sense for us... So no thanks to the above deal :hammer:
2023 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
"Everybody gets excited about youth except the coach, because he knows youth means mistakes, mistakes mean losses, losses means you're fired."
Championship 16/17

We are taking back a worse contract, but Dieng has more value then Noah across the league, you could flip him later. I'm not proposing we keep Dieng and his contract. We are leveraging Thibs love for Noah and including Noah in any significant trades involving Jimmy Butler.

I'm starting to have faith that this management knows how to get a better deal. We traded Dougie and our 2nd round pick (Justin Jackson) for Emmanuel Mudiay and Mitchell Robinson

We traded Melo and didn't have to include a 1st round pick.

We gotta move Noah, too much bad blood, and this management is trying to look like a genius in this trade. Too easy to use the stretch provision. Look at OKC and what they did with Melo.
dcapodic

You hold onto him and use his contract as trade filler if needed down the road. If you can't get anything out of him you ride it out and take the expiring money.

Don't force anything, stay the course.
- Me being the resident optimist around this cesspool of doom and gloom, StevoStarks, circa 2019
cragganmor
Likes given: 93

Yep, just make him useful in reserve mins, be a mentor to our young players. Only way another team takes him is to send us worst contracts. Stretching him prolongs the agony of his cap hit and is the absolute last resort. Meanwhile, just stick to the plan of developing our young, establishing a foundation to build on.
NewlyKnicked

So we forget about 2019 free agency?
cragganmor

No, we just don't bet the farm on it. I admit that I was excited at the prospect of 2 star FAs but have calmed down.

Would rather develop our young, let KP get healthy; build a young, cohesive, functioning team. Then we can get that missing piece in FA.
NewlyKnicked

with $21mil projected free cap, we won't be able to bring even one max FA in 2019 if everything stays at it is
cragganmor

Joakim Noah makes 3s so now we should keep him!!!
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I think he's serious about coming back. Could a head-to-head battle with Enes.
big_j_NY
Likes given: 1123

cragganmor wrote:Joakim Noah makes 3s so now we should keep him!!!
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I think he's serious about coming back. Could a head-to-head battle with Enes.
Noah's shooting form is still BASURA........he ain't making those 3s in the regular season, hell he won't even do damage on mid-range with that BASURA form.

Shawn Marion's ugly shooting form didn't survive the later years of his career as he was on the decline, and Noah's will not either.