can we all just take it down a notch

Discuss New York Knicks news, current events, players, and history.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv, cru77jones

Re: can we all just take it down a notch

Postby NYGM » July 19, 2018, 9:26 pm

cragganmor wrote:Offensively, Mario will have a good year after suffering for so long with that sad collection of mismatched parts called the Magic.

Where Fiz is gonna earn his money is turning him into an decent defender.

The tools are there..

The kid is a knick fan, WANTS to be here and accepted the one year deal to prove it..

So i guess the effort will be there too...
NYGM

Postby NYGM » July 19, 2018, 9:33 pm

Mr3037 wrote:Still not happy with Frank starting BUT I have to concede its the only way to know if he's gonna get to the level we need.

Why? if he earns the job in trainning camp so be it..

Frank would be the only starter capable of defend his position (or defend at all)..

I think Frank is one year away to be a full time starter and we should be smart enough to wait for it..
NYGM

Postby StevoStarks » July 19, 2018, 10:19 pm

And I also like Burke off the bench because of that fire power. He can get hot in a hurry and pile it on.

The beauty of the THJ, Burke and Frank rotation you can always go with the hot hand between THJ and Burke and pair them with Frank. Or go all 3 and let Frank defend the 3.
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
- Dr. Seuss

"Woody was the perfect coach for these mutts."
- taowave

"Is he REALLY injured?? A part of me doesnt believe that he is and I think he's just being a bitch. Bitch-nani."
- rynyk222
StevoStarks
Writer

Postby Mr3037 » July 20, 2018, 1:18 am

NYGM wrote:Why? if he earns the job in trainning camp so be it..

Frank would be the only starter capable of defend his position (or defend at all)..

I think Frank is one year away to be a full time starter and we should be smart enough to wait for it..

I wasnt convinced about Frank when we picked him, seeing him last season didnt change that and neither has SL.
I just have a feeling he's going to be nothing more than a handy role player.....NOT a starting PG.

Hopefully I am wrong but it should be pretty clear by the end of the coming season.
NYK Fan since 92
NYKFP Fan since 04

26 years & counting...Bleeding Orange & Blue
Mr3037

Postby NYGM » July 20, 2018, 1:32 pm

I think he needs another year..

Frank on his 3rd year should be able to start for us..

Frank and KP are defensive + in the starting unit..

We need more of that.
NYGM

Postby StevoStarks » July 20, 2018, 2:46 pm

NYGM wrote:I think he needs another year..

Frank on his 3rd year should be able to start for us..

Frank and KP are defensive + in the starting unit..

We need more of that.

I'm prepared for the 3 year plan as long as I see some advancements this year. If Frank resembles the Frank we saw last year and the 1st game of Summer League through most of next season, then it may be time to start looking elsewhere. But I'm hoping to see a lot of the Frank we saw in the 2nd summer league game this year. I don't expect it consistently, but hope to see it a bit in the first half of the season and then much more consistently as we pass the all star break and he's had a half season to really figure things out.

That way, when it's his 3rd year, we're all assuming Frank is starting and expecting that 12-15 points a game to go along with 7-10 assists, some rebounds and his always excellent lock down D.
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
- Dr. Seuss

"Woody was the perfect coach for these mutts."
- taowave

"Is he REALLY injured?? A part of me doesnt believe that he is and I think he's just being a bitch. Bitch-nani."
- rynyk222
StevoStarks
Writer

Postby Don Che » July 20, 2018, 3:15 pm

Frank may end up being what Marcus Smart is for Boston
Don Che

Postby shakespeare » August 1, 2018, 3:04 pm

Y’all act like THJ is sitting around the house eating White Castle burgers.

Well actually, he’s putting in work, becoming a better shooter, scorer, better overall player, hopefully:

https://mobile.twitter.com/KnickFilmSch ... 26/video/1
The Porzingis blessing is real.
#TeamTank
shakespeare
Writer

Postby taowave » August 1, 2018, 3:23 pm

Hardaway will be better with a better coach.

Hornacek wasn't Great

shakespeare wrote:Y’all act like THJ is sitting around the house eating White Castle burgers.

Well actually, he’s putting in work, becoming a better shooter, scorer, better overall player, hopefully:

taowave

Postby Don Che » August 1, 2018, 4:07 pm

if he can get the same numbers with a higher % I'd change my tune on Tim. around 40% from 3 and closer to 50% from 2.

while his defense was ok....its hard to look good on defense with with Kanter and jack running it. we basically defended 2 and a half against 5 every night.

as a passer I dont know if he can get further along than he is
Don Che

Postby spree#8 » August 1, 2018, 5:36 pm

:? Tim shot over .500 from 2. His third year in a row. Just saying.
#knickstape
spree#8

Postby nazrmohamed » August 1, 2018, 6:05 pm

shakespeare wrote:Y’all act like THJ is sitting around the house eating White Castle burgers.

Jesus Shakes. Now I gotta go get some White Castle. You had to put that thought in my mind
PHISHER
nazrmohamed

Postby Don Che » August 1, 2018, 7:38 pm

spree#8 wrote::? Tim shot over .500 from 2. His third year in a row. Just saying.

Then he has 1 major hurdle to conquer on offense and get better increase his ability to defend.

cant wait to find out.

Knox/Tim/Mario on the break is going to be fun to watch.
Don Che

Postby cragganmor » August 2, 2018, 9:17 am

Yep, they gonna be a lot on fun in the transition game; I think Mitch will stand out as well in the run and gun. Fiz needs to school his young players on how to succeed in halfcourt, when teams naturally try to slow the game down.
cragganmor

Postby H20Knick » August 2, 2018, 9:41 am

spree#8 wrote::? Tim shot over .500 from 2. His third year in a row. Just saying.

Spree, aren't you the same guy who gets mad when anyone uses anything but TS% in an argument ever? What is purpose of having a shooting guard that is abnormally high 2P if his TS% is terrible.

In other completely meaningless stats, Enes Kanter 17-18 season has the highest 2P% for any knick playing 50 games and taking 10 FGA in a season over the last 20 years (57 entries total). Eddy Curry's 06-07 season comes in 2nd. The first non-big on the list is wilson chandler's 09-10 season followed by beasley's 17-18 season. THJ comes in 8th 2 spots ahead of Nate Robinson. If you switch it to true shooting percentage, THJ falls to 3 spots below Tim Thomas 04-05 and 2 spots above Arron Afflalo 15-16

Minimum: 50 games played
5FGA per game: 241 players qualify, 123 players over .500, THJ is 94th in 2P%, 172nd in TS%
10FGA per game: 106 players qualify, 56 players over .500, THJ is 39th in 2P%, 83rd in TS%
15FGA per game: 32 players qualify, 19 players over .500, THJ is 15th in 2P%, 29th in TS%
Last edited by H20Knick on August 2, 2018, 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fort Knox. Hard Knox. Knock Knox. It doesn't matter. Hall of Fame in 20.

2018 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION
2015 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION
H20Knick

Postby Red » August 2, 2018, 11:55 am

3 spots below Tim Thomas is garbage.
39-43
Red

Postby Don Che » August 2, 2018, 1:28 pm

I'm a simple FG2 % FG3% type guy. It's short simple and tells me all the data i need when looking at the attempts.
Don Che

Postby spree#8 » August 2, 2018, 2:09 pm

H20Knick wrote:
Spree, aren't you the same guy who gets mad when anyone uses anything but TS% in an argument ever? What is purpose of having a shooting guard that is abnormally high 2P if his TS% is terrible.

In other completely meaningless stats, Enes Kanter 17-18 season has the highest 2P% for any knick playing 50 games and taking 10 FGA in a season over the last 20 years (57 entries total). Eddy Curry's 06-07 season comes in 2nd. The first non-big on the list is wilson chandler's 09-10 season followed by beasley's 17-18 season. THJ comes in 8th 2 spots ahead of Nate Robinson. If you switch it to true shooting percentage, THJ falls to 3 spots below Tim Thomas 04-05 and 2 spots above Arron Afflalo 15-16

Minimum: 50 games played
5FGA per game: 241 players qualify, 123 players over .500, THJ is 94th in 2P%, 172nd in TS%
10FGA per game: 106 players qualify, 56 players over .500, THJ is 39th in 2P%, 83rd in TS%
15FGA per game: 32 players qualify, 19 players over .500, THJ is 15th in 2P%, 29th in TS%

His career TS% is fine. So can you guys all just take it down a notch and relax, until his three point percentage (his only problem last season) reverses to his mean? It's really not that hard. BTW: his TS% last season was still higher than DeMar DeRozan's career TS% his first seven seasons in the league and at DeRozan's average for his first eight. So if THE TS% guy on this site doesn't have any problem with THJ's efficiency last season, shouldn't that tell you something? :?

But if you guys can't look past one bad season from three there is nothing that will convince you, that's why I said that I won't discuss this any further until next season comes.

For fun here a little more perspective: https://www.basketball-reference.com/pl ... 02&y2=2018
https://www.basketball-reference.com/pl ... 02&y2=2018
#knickstape
spree#8

Postby taowave » August 3, 2018, 4:46 pm

I'm too lazy,but my guess is his standard deviation of shooting was revolting last year.

I am giving him a do over as he played the 3 last year.I want him at the 2...

Regardless,he needs to be more consistent night in and night out..I still have nightmares from Starks bricking the night away against Houston in game 6 of the finals.

and fuck you Sam Cassel
Last edited by taowave on August 4, 2018, 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
taowave

Postby Red » August 4, 2018, 6:25 am

He needs to improve on defense and w his shot selection. Another task for Coach to tackle.

If you consider Thj part of a core along with Frank and 3M that's five. Nitti- Thj - Knox - Kp - 3M with vets like Burke, Mario, LT and Kanter in reserve.

There's a clear balance of vets and young talent. Still have more depth with guys like Noah and Lee.

I don't see where this roster should feel compelled at this time to think they can't compete and win. I don't think believing if they can play defense they can make the playoffs is overestimating considering the landscape.

If the question is "have we already seen enough in SL to determine if Knox and 3M should be a part of our core?" then I think it's based on past outcomes which is all one can do. Does a good performance in SL correlate with nba success? Those who believe this say yes. We expect their talent to translate well. If it does and you combine that with the strengths we've developed, the level of expectation is justified imo.

They should struggle but succeed in the long run. We should have a fast-break defensive athletic team next season and that should be enough to make the playoffs.
39-43
Red

PreviousNext

Return to New York Knicks