Knicks Free Agency Rumors(Hezonja signs with Knicks!)

Discuss New York Knicks news, current events, players, and history.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv, cru77jones

Re: Knicks Free Agency Rumors(Hezonja signs with Knicks!)

Postby Don Che » July 4, 2018, 8:05 am

nice shout out Big ...also great find

Mario is 6'8 220 with a 6'10 wingspan...that's a 2/3 more than a 4 body wise.

I see more of a 3(while I'm biased to bigger lineups)....Knox plays like a 2....KP play a like a 3....this roster is out of wack and could be a stroke of insanity or pure genius lol

I just worry about the Mario signing because I didnt want any competition for Knox to start at the 3. and even though I'm good with us being bad...I want our players to be placed in situations where they can succeed down the line.

so by process of elimination....let's see Mario and Tim battle it out.
Don Che

Postby NewlyKnicked » July 4, 2018, 12:03 pm

It could also lead to healthy competition. Depends on the coaching staff and the players mentality
2017 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
NewlyKnicked

Postby taowave » July 4, 2018, 12:15 pm

Don,I will be shocked if Tim isn't our starting 2.

As of today,it looks like Mario and Knox are our front court. That is frightening

Don Che wrote:nice shout out Big ...also great find

Mario is 6'8 220 with a 6'10 wingspan...that's a 2/3 more than a 4 body wise.

I see more of a 3(while I'm biased to bigger lineups)....Knox plays like a 2....KP play a like a 3....this roster is out of wack and could be a stroke of insanity or pure genius lol

I just worry about the Mario signing because I didnt want any competition for Knox to start at the 3. and even though I'm good with us being bad...I want our players to be placed in situations where they can succeed down the line.

so by process of elimination....let's see Mario and Tim battle it out.
taowave

Postby Don Che » July 4, 2018, 1:33 pm

if Tim wins it...he wins it.

I'm just not a fan of Knox and Mario at our forward spots at all....unless Knox really becomes a different player in the NBA.

In stretches yes but as the main line up no.

but maybe in the workouts they saw him as a 4 but in Kentucky he grabbed 5 or 6 rebounds....no form of physicality no blocks no steals just a complete non factor in so many statistical defensive categories and lackadaisical demeanor on that side of the floor....but I could argue that's why he shouldn't any position not just the 4 but I just thought him being a 3 gives him an advantage somewhat.

I just want everyone to be in a place to succeed together even tho I expect them to suck and get me a lottery pick. if we know KP is gonna be a 5 when he returns...I'm molding these line ups and running basically try outs for the other 4 spots and I guess they think to see how this works and adjust later....I'm just saying outside of a huge mental change in Knox. it cant.

if Knox has a shawn marion motor(like he did in HS scouts said)on offense and defense than we are set and I'm hype but judging his college career which i value more this is just putting 2 huge assets in positions to fail in one swoop

cant wait till this weekend
Don Che

Postby nazrmohamed » July 4, 2018, 2:17 pm

I like Herzogna and Knox at the wings SG&SF respectively but I also gotta assume Hardaway plays so either Herzogna is a SF or he's a backup. Also remember we got a couple Pgs that in order to play might play off guard.

I guess who cares really. KP is out, we got ALOT of different combinations we can use
PHISHER
nazrmohamed

Postby Mike1989 » July 4, 2018, 3:38 pm

Don Che wrote:if Tim wins it...he wins it.

I'm just not a fan of Knox and Mario at our forward spots at all....unless Knox really becomes a different player in the NBA.

In stretches yes but as the main line up no.

but maybe in the workouts they saw him as a 4 but in Kentucky he grabbed 5 or 6 rebounds....no form of physicality no blocks no steals just a complete non factor in so many statistical defensive categories and lackadaisical demeanor on that side of the floor....but I could argue that's why he shouldn't any position not just the 4 but I just thought him being a 3 gives him an advantage somewhat.

I just want everyone to be in a place to succeed together even tho I expect them to suck and get me a lottery pick. if we know KP is gonna be a 5 when he returns...I'm molding these line ups and running basically try outs for the other 4 spots and I guess they think to see how this works and adjust later....I'm just saying outside of a huge mental change in Knox. it cant.

if Knox has a shawn marion motor(like he did in HS scouts said)on offense and defense than we are set and I'm hype but judging his college career which i value more this is just putting 2 huge assets in positions to fail in one swoop

cant wait till this weekend

This took a while but here is a breakdown of Mario Hezonja's stats per position for the 2017-18 season:

Starting PF
- 13 starts, 30 mpg, 82/165 FG, .496 FG%, 28/71 3P, .394 3P%, 5.5 TRB, 1.7 APG, 14.9 PPG
Bench PF
- 20 games, 20.4 mpg, 71/164 FG, .432 FG%, 21/62 3P, .338 3P%, 3.2 TRB, 1.05 APG, 9.1 PPG

Starting SF
- 14 starts, 28.3 mpg, 59/142 FG, .415 FG%, 22/61 3P, .360 3P%, 5.8 TRB, 2.2 APG, 11.71 PPG
Bench SF
- 21 games, 10.2 mpg, 33/75 FG, .444 FG%, 19/52 3P, .365 3P%, 1.6 TRB, 0.8 APG, 3.73 PPG

Starting SG
- 3 starts, 28.3 mpg, 15/32 FG, .468 FG%, 6/11 3P, .545 3P%, 5.6 TRB, 3.6 APG, 14 PPG
Bench SG
- 4 games, 28 mpg, 13/39 FG, .333 FG%, 4/22 3P, .181 3P%., 3.25 TRB, 0.25 APG, 10.25 PPG

Hezonja primarily started at small forward or power forward last season and of those two positions he was more efficient playing as an undersized stretch four. I would have no major issue if we decide to start Hezonja at power forward with Kevin Knox playing small forward. We might have to work out how we deal with the defensive match ups but on the offensive end I think Hezonja works best at the PF while Knox is probably better suited to SF.

The interesting thing about Hezonja from the above stats is that his percentages are not substantially different whether he comes off the bench as a SF or PF, however they are significantly different when he plays the SG spot. As a starter he is deadly accurate from 3 point range when playing as a shooting guard, but coming off the bench he was poor. I'd say that his bench stats for SG are probably an anomaly and down to his usage and who he was play with and against.

As for Knox and Hezonja playing together, when it comes to rebounds if they manage to average 5 or 6 a piece they would either be pretty much the same or better than what our forwards averaged last season. Porzingis averaged 6.6 per game, Hardaway averaged 3.9 and Lee averaged 2.9. So depending on how the line up fell we'd be talking 10.5 per game or 9.5 per game compared to potentially 10 to 12 rebounds per game from Knox and Hezonja if they manage to average 5 or 6 a piece. So as long as they grab a handful or half a dozen rebounds, when combined with Kanter's production, and anything we get from our guards, we should be fine. When it comes to shot blocking we are probably going to struggle because we don't really have a rim protector on the books unless Mitchell Robinson can offer that, or Noah makes a comeback and starts blocking like he did years ago. However, on the steal front we should be okay because Hezonja averaged 1.8 steals per 36 minutes, Frank averaged 1.4 and Hardaway averaged 1.2 steals, so on that stat line we should be okay if Knox doesn't offer much on that front.

Do I see Knox and Hezonja as our long term 3 and 4? Probably not. I think Knox is potentially a long term starter if he puts everything together, however I think Hezonja will either move to a role off the bench where his versatility will be very useful or he will move on next season. But who knows maybe they will surprise us and nail down those spots long term and KP will come back and have to play the 5. It will be interesting to see how these two young players do this season.
Mike1989

Postby NewlyKnicked » July 4, 2018, 3:39 pm

I don’t see the issue with having Mario and Knox competing for the SF spot. Let the best man start and the other can grab minutes as backup, at PF and/or SG. I actually like the flexibility. Fiz wanted versatility, he got just that
2017 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
NewlyKnicked

Postby spree#8 » July 4, 2018, 4:01 pm

Strength and struggles, the good and the bad in the next two vids:

#knickstape
spree#8

Postby Don Che » July 4, 2018, 4:22 pm

Thanks for the info Mike

i think this year...Mario is a better player...well i guess as a prospect I was much higher on Mario than I ever was on Knox so I guess thats may reservation.

but I also know the only way most prospects succeed...is on the job/coaching and developing them. I hope they both get over 25 minutes and are coached the right way.

and i dont want this team to duplicate last years so looking at how they rebounded doesnt tell me much. We need a plus defender/rebounding at multiple positions and i guess anyway you slice it if knox or mario want to be a part of the future they gotta contribute in those areas if they wanna be a part of this going right.
Don Che

Postby StevoStarks » July 4, 2018, 5:25 pm

This article was great and gave some more insight to Fiz’s Plan. My favorite part was this excerpt:

Meanwhile, had traditional center Enes Kanter opted out, the Knicks had no interest in trying to re-sign him, but he opted back in. Fizdale instead is trying to change Kanter’s game to make him a competent 3-point shooter.

https://nypost.com/2018/07/04/knicks-getting-first-taste-of-david-fizdales-innovative-offense/
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
- Dr. Seuss

"Woody was the perfect coach for these mutts."
- taowave

"Is he REALLY injured?? A part of me doesnt believe that he is and I think he's just being a bitch. Bitch-nani."
- rynyk222
StevoStarks
Writer

Postby Championship 16/17 » July 4, 2018, 6:35 pm

^^^^That's funny, I said if Kanter can improve his defense, toughness, and lastly his OFFENSIVE REPERTOIRE, we should keep him.

No shot in bell with defense, good luck Fiz. Best case he improves in creating charges.

Toughness, needs to show more, please stop with all this social media stuff, it makes you look weak.

Offensive repertoire.......YES! Kanter has a shot, how about extending that shot and using it more instead of the same post move to every time. That is something he can definitely develop. Good job coach Fiz!
Championship 16/17

Postby Mr3037 » July 4, 2018, 8:02 pm

So with Amir Johnson & Tolliver off the table who else are we looking at?
NYK Fan since 92
NYKFP Fan since 04

26 years & counting...Bleeding Orange & Blue
Mr3037

Postby ISIAH_THOMAS » July 4, 2018, 9:13 pm

Mr3037 wrote:So with Amir Johnson & Tolliver off the table who else are we looking at?

Trevor booker

Bring back Beasley..
TAKE THAT FOR DATA
ISIAH_THOMAS

Postby StevoStarks » July 4, 2018, 11:54 pm

I’m on the Alan Williams train.
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
- Dr. Seuss

"Woody was the perfect coach for these mutts."
- taowave

"Is he REALLY injured?? A part of me doesnt believe that he is and I think he's just being a bitch. Bitch-nani."
- rynyk222
StevoStarks
Writer

Postby rebound » July 5, 2018, 4:37 am

I'd go with Williams over Booker.
Never have been impressed with Booker. Plus Williams is only 25.
Team Mills
rebound

Postby Boston_PuppyDawg » July 6, 2018, 10:32 am

Kyle O'Quinn agrees to 1-year, $4.5M deal with the Pacers, per @ShamsCharania https://t.co/idebZyFtNl
Calderon: "It’s no fun when you try to win for the Knicks and people want you out of the Knicks.” (2/18/16)
Boston_PuppyDawg

Postby taowave » July 6, 2018, 10:55 am

That's a bit of a head scratcher,unless the Knicks made it clear they weren't interested in him
taowave

Postby KRL » July 6, 2018, 10:58 am

Boston_PuppyDawg wrote:Kyle O'Quinn agrees to 1-year, $4.5M deal with the Pacers, per @ShamsCharania https://t.co/idebZyFtNl

So O'Quinn opted out and got a 1 year deal and a 250K raise while moving out of his hometown.
If you're a big these days you really need to know your game and market when hitting free agency
KRL

Postby Minkaveli » July 6, 2018, 11:24 am

Lol @ Kyle taking the same rate on a 1 year deal.
No longer sick and tired that Kurt wasn't hired.
Minkaveli

Postby big_j_NY » July 6, 2018, 11:36 am

Boston_PuppyDawg wrote:Kyle O'Quinn agrees to 1-year, $4.5M deal with the Pacers, per @ShamsCharania https://t.co/idebZyFtNl

#EmbraceTheTank2019

#InPorzingisWeTrust

Hassan Whiteside wrote:I'm just tryin...tryin 2 really get my NBA 2K rating up
big_j_NY

PreviousNext

Return to New York Knicks