2018-2019 Tank er, Rebuild

Discuss New York Knicks news, current events, players, and history.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv, cru77jones

Re: 2018-2019 Tank err, Rebuild

Postby Don Che » October 28, 2018, 2:41 pm

nazrmohamed wrote:That's the knock on Reddish since HS. The fact that he can sorta hover in and out of games. When needed he can look like a superstar but other times he has the propensity to just hide in an offense. But still, hes an extremely talented wing who Id love to have. My top 5 at this time will all put us in a good position

1Barrett
2Reddish
3Little
4Zion
5Grimes

what I like is that most of the wings are sg/sfs which is a role we're in need of, that flexibility to play Frank at PG next to most of these guys or if its determined he's a SG they can play point forward and shift everybody down to a smallball lineup. Zion is sorta the odd man in my plan but he's proving good enough for me to change my plan if needed. Knox's development may dictate how I wanna draft. Ex. should he build muscle and become a skilled stretch 4 or should he get into better cardio shape, work on his handle more and stay a SF. Too early to know.

at this stage...Knox isnt in my envisioned starting 5(when we are actually good) until he proves what he can do and show progress on his weaknesses..and thats what this year is for because so far I'm not confident he can defend/pass/make shots efficiently. I think we will have a solid indication by the end of the year to make an informed decision. If i dont see progress in those things and Nassir is on the board....I'd take him and not thing twice...that guy isnt as talented as Knox but he competes at a high level and dog in his game fits our needs...just not too sure of his offensive upside.

gonna be fun to watch Duke/UNC/Kansas this year.
Don Che

Postby shakespeare » October 28, 2018, 3:28 pm

cragganmor wrote:Actually, I see the Celts moving that pick if they resign Irving. All depends on how much progress they can make this season.

If the pick is moved, wouldn’t it be for a player in a trade?

I heard the Anthony Davis rumors, but I can’t see New Orleans trading him.

What other player(s) might be on Ainge’s radar?
#TeamTank
shakespeare
Writer

Postby Don Che » October 28, 2018, 4:31 pm

i would never do a trade with Boston
Don Che

Postby rebound » October 29, 2018, 10:00 pm

knicks are too good and will only get better with knox and then kp's return.
Team Mills
rebound

Postby shakespeare » October 29, 2018, 10:05 pm

On the contrare, we’re not playing Brooklyn every game.

Nothing can stop this tank.
#TeamTank
shakespeare
Writer

Postby shakespeare » October 29, 2018, 10:08 pm

Kings look like they’ve disbanded the tank.

Good.

More ping pong balls for us.
#TeamTank
shakespeare
Writer

Postby Don Che » October 29, 2018, 10:58 pm

love that we beat the nets but don't get it twisted....we only beat the hawks and nets this season

I'm good with the tank....but also good with progress
Don Che

Postby spree#8 » November 3, 2018, 7:55 am

Looks like we are in for a fun tank, the youth movement is going strong! With the way Dotson, Robinson and Trier are taking advantage of their opportunities, it seems like we will be committed to develop all of our own draft picks/rookie pick-ups Hardaway (2013), Ntilikina (2017), Dotson (2017), Knox (2018), Robinson (2018) and Trier (2018) while waiting on KP's return.

Great in my book, but of course it'll be interesting to see how guys that expected to play a bigger role like Kanter, Burke and Hezonja will react. Trier is already looking like he will take on Burke's role as a change-of-pace/iso-guard off the bench, Kanter might be gone (and realizing it) after this season if we can spend his money on a top outside free agent and Hezonja might not get as much of a shot as he hoped with the solid play of Dotson right now and Knox coming back. So I think Fiz with the help of maybe Hardaway and Thomas might have his hands full keeping the squad happy. Lee hasn't even entered the picture yet, but he will likely only be a calming voice in the locker room if he can gain some kind of role on the court.

Right now Kanter and Vonleh seem to be locked in as players 7 and 8 in the rotation count, leaving Burke, Mudiay, Hezonja, Lee and Thomas fighting for two spots in a usual 10-men-rotation. Of course someone stepping up out of this group, someone hitting the wall among the other eight guys or injuries can change the picture. Just some some food for thought.

On another note: who will be cut if we don't create a roster spot via trade (including Lee for example) until Trier's contract has to be converted into a regular NBA contract some time in December? Still thinking Kornet, but with Mudiay and Lee getting back in the picture, Baker could also be on the hot seat. Best case would be trading someone for a second rounder, so hopefully Lee can show off a bit on short notice...

Edit: earlier I wrote down my wish to sign Trier to a tree- or four-year deal once we sign him to a regular contract, but that isn't possible. We only have the minimum salary or bi-annual exception left to use and both exceptions restrict the contract length to two years.
Last edited by spree#8 on November 4, 2018, 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
#knickstape
spree#8

Postby spree#8 » November 3, 2018, 8:15 am

Looking at the schedule, we have an opportunity to look respectable with the Wizards (@WAS, 1-7, or are we exactly the team they need right now?), Bulls (at home, 2-7) and Hawks (@ATL, 2-6) coming up next. Overall our first-half schedule is brutal though with 26 of 41 on the road, so no worries for those that might not wanna see us look too respectable... ;)

Can't wait for the next game though!
#knickstape
spree#8

Postby spree#8 » November 5, 2018, 3:48 pm

Marc Berman
@NYPost_Berman
Luke Kornet will play for Westchester in Knicks its home opener Tuesday. Speculation when Trier has to be converted from 2-way in December, Kornet gets cut and re-signs on 2-way.

That would be best for everybody.
#knickstape
spree#8

Postby Don Che » November 6, 2018, 4:11 am

what we have:

Mitchell: our Tyson Chandler/Ben Wallace type anchor in time
KP: all star hopefully
Dot: 3/D...rebounder
Vonleh: enforcer that could start with KP also
Trier: microwave
Tim: dropping buckets now but can he do this with higher efficiency with more talent and get his playmaking up? if so keeper if not trade for future assets and take more L's now
Frank: depends on the week but he defends

Knox hasnt played.

we need either a dynamic wing that runs the show or a PG to pull it all together ...maybe both or maybe Frank and Knox get some fire in their belly
Don Che

Postby spree#8 » November 6, 2018, 4:32 pm

We need a feel good win in the next game to keep a positive vibe, so I hope a healthy THJ returns to help organize us again and build on his good start to this season. Frank is probably on Fizdale's watch now, so I wouldn't be surprised to see him being benched if he doesn't step it up quickly. Kanter is getting too much flak by some here IMO. The attention he draws inside and his offensive boards were one of THE main reasons we had opportunities in the last two games. I'm also looking forward to seeing more of Knox.
#knickstape
spree#8

Postby thewatcher » November 6, 2018, 4:45 pm

Yes i agree Spree, kanter gets over 20 rebounds off the bench and gets hate mail. :sadno: On the other hand, it's frustrating making the game all about a player who almost certainly won't be here next year. Kanter is dominating the game on both sides, the good and the bad side. But i won't hate on him, just an awkward situation.
n8 the gr8 wrote:
The first rule of NYKFP is you don't talk about NYKFP.
thewatcher

Postby Don Che » November 6, 2018, 6:04 pm

Kanter is best as a 6th man ...I like where he is in the rotation
Don Che

Postby rebound » November 6, 2018, 10:48 pm

Quentin Grimes looked fantastic in his NCAA debut.
Team Mills
rebound

Postby Don Che » November 6, 2018, 11:09 pm

yup...if he can be the shooter his form indicates...hes exactly what we need at the guard spot
Don Che

Postby rebound » November 6, 2018, 11:27 pm

zion looks like a franchise changing player.
Team Mills
rebound

Postby ISIAH_THOMAS » November 7, 2018, 12:02 am

RJ Barrett..
TAKE THAT FOR DATA
ISIAH_THOMAS

Postby ISIAH_THOMAS » November 7, 2018, 12:10 am

rebound wrote:Quentin Grimes looked fantastic in his NCAA debut.

Is he a point guard or what?
TAKE THAT FOR DATA
ISIAH_THOMAS

Postby rebound » November 7, 2018, 12:48 am

ISIAH_THOMAS wrote:Is he a point guard or what?

yes but he is a scorer. would work well next to frank.
Team Mills
rebound

PreviousNext

Return to New York Knicks