2018-2019 Tank er, Rebuild

Discuss New York Knicks news, current events, players, and history.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv, cru77jones

Re: 2018-2019 Tank err, Rebuild

Postby nazrmohamed » October 24, 2018, 11:20 am

Well considering the 76rs roster is made up of stars who sat out there first year entirely and then still became stars, I have no major concern about Knoxs development. In fact it could help him to spend some time working on skills, as you said studying tape and hitting some weights.
Grady- Mario is the KD of tanking. Fiz got worried that playing Jordan would help the Knicks win, so he has to make sure Mario gets plenty of minutes.
nazrmohamed

Postby taowave » October 24, 2018, 11:43 am

KP suiting up "early" has nothing to do with anything other than what is best for optimal recovery..

The risk of reinjury is much higher in the earlier timeframe..

Furthermore,every individuals physiology is completely different,so no one really knows how things will shake out

In addition to monetary factors, players often have to battle outside expectations about recovery time. It’s here where the miraculous recovery from ACL surgery of athletes like Adrian Peterson perhaps unfairly raises the bar for other athletes. In fact that race to return may even increase the possibility of a repeat injury to the ACL. Hewett cites the example of Derrick Rose, who delayed his return to the court after sensing that his knee still didn’t feel normal, as a player that was roundly criticized for a longer than normal recovery.

Most often what dictates recovery is not will or resolve, but the interior of the knee and function of the surrounding muscles. No one, even the best athletes in the world, can beat physiology. Ignore that, and the only reward for a quick recovery might be a short career.

nazrmohamed wrote:
I can easily see this happening. Good series of posts from you Red. People gotta understand KP sitting out all year is just one part of fandoms viewpoint. Its definitely not in his own best interest and there no proof that's it's really in the best interest of the team either.

Personally I only care to see him for the last month. That's a big enough sample size for the league to know what they need to know. Hed be fully healed and no feeling that he is rushing anything. What's a month's time, 15 games?

:hmm: :happy: nah I want a month and a half lol. I really hope Knox got his shit together by then though. Frank too
taowave

Postby Don Che » October 25, 2018, 2:41 am

this is a earn your keep year

Knox and Mario are battling for Burke/Tim's spot

Vonleh and Mitch for Lance spot

when KP comes back....I think Kanter sits mainly because Vonleh and Mitch do what he can do with more defensive upside. Vonleh can set screens(underrated skill to all good offenses) rebounds and defends a bit. even has shown he can pass a lil bit.

if all goes well our top 3 pick will replace Tim to go along with Mario or Knox/Vonleh or Mitch and KP as a frontline.

and yes I hold mario just as high as I hold Knox talent wise...Mario may be more talented actually. I think hed drop Tim like numbers if given the green light but like tim he tends to get too hot or cold...which stems from cardio/volatile rotations or mental fortitude

but I've seen gordon Hayward be an all star in this league and looking at tools ...mario has those traits just needs a foundation which we may build for him this year

https://youtu.be/gyX1PrFoMQU

look at the structure Hayward and not donovan operate....watching mario play I cant help but see similarity in tools but where gordon kills him is poise ....and he has has good passers around him as donovan does. Diaw ingles and hill with good screeners really open things up...I think this year for me is seeing who out of this roster has a role in a well run squad like a future ingles or diaw(Vonleh and Frank can be that possibly) and you pray 1 of the many ex lottery picks "get it" and play to a all star level

throw in a top 3 pick who we hope is a all star level player and KP who's an all star and we got something to work with
Don Che

Postby Rusty La Rue » October 25, 2018, 4:06 am

Don Che wrote:when KP comes back....I think Kanter sits mainly because Vonleh and Mitch do what he can do with more defensive upside. Vonleh can set screens(underrated skill to all good offenses) rebounds and defends a bit. even has shown he can pass a lil bit.

if all goes well our top 3 pick will replace Tim to go along with Mario or Knox/Vonleh or Mitch and KP as a frontline.

and yes I hold mario just as high as I hold Knox talent wise...Mario may be more talented actually.

First off I agree with you about Mario... I believe he has tremendous upside... His shot looks so smooth when he shots it with confidence and he has a good size... But to say that Vonleh and Mitch can do what Kanter does is in no way true... Sure they both seem to be good rebounders and they are both probably better on D than Kanter and Mitch is already an elite shot blocker... But they are not even close to Kanter ability when it comes to scoring down low... They can dunk and that is about it (Mitch is a small sample size so he might surprise me) Vonleh have numerous times given the ball up or taken a wild shot when being in a good position down low... this is where Kanter excels... Sure he is not a great defender but his offense under and around the basket is miles better that what Vonleh and Mitch can do... at the moment Kanter actually demans a double team down low or else you are in trouble... so give Kanter the respect he deserves...

I would love a frontline with Kanter, KP and Mitch (if he develops as expected) in the future... If we can make the money to make sense... If Mitch develops into a great defender down low... those 3 would compliment each other perfectly... And Knox could also play PF if we wanted to good small... I like our options up front when KP comes back...
"Everybody gets excited about youth except the coach, because he knows youth means mistakes, mistakes mean losses, losses means you're fired."
Rusty La Rue

Postby rebound » October 25, 2018, 4:57 am

is darius garland worthy of top 7? he looks like isiah thomas (boston)
Team Mills
rebound

Postby Don Che » October 25, 2018, 7:50 am

Rusty .....in 2018 you cant have KP/Mitch/Kanter playing together ...I remember in 95 when KG was playing the 3....that just cant happen now....you have kyle kuzma and Draymond (who are 3's in the 90's) playing the 5.

Knox is a 4 until he creates for others ...hes a scorer that likes to rebound.

Kanter is the man but I think vonleh and mitch have upside on defense down the line
Don Che

Postby NewlyKnicked » October 25, 2018, 8:25 am

I agree with Rusty when respecting Enes for his skills. He is elite down low. Vonleh and Mitch would need many years to get to that level. However, this skillset is in small demands right now. The game has evolved so there's no incite to spend time developping those two into an out-of-date player
2017 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
NewlyKnicked

Postby Don Che » October 25, 2018, 9:41 am

I'm really not sure where the dispute is....Kanter is a double double guy that isnt dynamic defensively(good effort tho) and doesnt pass well.

can he help you win? yes is he a sure fire starter on a playoff team?..no

Vonleh has the talent to be a double double guy...that can pass and be a bit more dynamic defensively....Vonleh could start NEXT to Kanter right now and I dont think we'd miss much on defense compared to lance.

Mitch...is well Mitch..hes a rook but he fits the Tyson Chandler mold of bigs which is the wave of centers these days.

this year...im good with 2 of the 3 starting
Don Che

Postby NewlyKnicked » October 25, 2018, 11:40 am

The little beef is with your "I think Kanter sits mainly because Vonleh and Mitch do what he can do with more defensive upside". They won't be able to postup as he does anytime soon. But once again as ths skill is outdated, would it be a tragic loss if they do show up in defense? No
2017 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
NewlyKnicked

Postby taowave » October 25, 2018, 11:54 am

Unless you think KP is a 5,Knox is a 3..
Now, if you think Durant is a Knick,than Knox is a 3 or 4 with KP at the 5
taowave

Postby shakespeare » October 25, 2018, 2:48 pm

Banner featuring Durant and Porzingis:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/clutchpoin ... arden/amp/
#TeamTank
shakespeare
Writer

Postby Rusty La Rue » October 25, 2018, 3:41 pm

Don Che wrote:Rusty .....in 2018 you cant have KP/Mitch/Kanter playing together ...I remember in 95 when KG was playing the 3....that just cant happen now....you have kyle kuzma and Draymond (who are 3's in the 90's) playing the 5.

Knox is a 4 until he creates for others ...hes a scorer that likes to rebound.

Kanter is the man but I think vonleh and mitch have upside on defense down the line

I think you misunderstood... I would never play all 3 together... 2 at a time... but what I meant was that they offer something different depending on what you need in the game... Rebounding: Kanter and Mitch, Scoring: Kanter and KP, Shot blocking & D: KP and Mitch etc.

I hope that clears up my commet a bit...
"Everybody gets excited about youth except the coach, because he knows youth means mistakes, mistakes mean losses, losses means you're fired."
Rusty La Rue

Postby shakespeare » October 27, 2018, 7:14 am

Wizards and Cavs are trying to out-suck us: http://www.espn.com/nba/standings

Adam Silver needs to do something about this tanking epidemic. Ha.
#TeamTank
shakespeare
Writer

Postby Don Che » October 27, 2018, 7:55 am

yes it does Rusty but in today's league you only need 3 guys that can play center

Mitch KP and Vonleh ....is all I need

throw in kornet as the 4th stringer and call it a day.

Kanter is a nice guy but he really doesnt do enough to push us forward and is solid enough to not let us go back.

and he makes 17 mill....we need to invest on the wing and guards like the rest of the NBA.
Don Che

Postby shakespeare » October 27, 2018, 10:51 am

Gonna be interesting to see how New York handles Kanter’s upcoming free agency, especially if he believes he’ll be resigned.
#TeamTank
shakespeare
Writer

Postby shakespeare » October 27, 2018, 11:11 am

An Early 2019 NBA Mock Draft: Duke's Barrett And Reddish On Track To Go 1-2:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes ... draft/amp/

“In terms of sheer talent and potential upside, Reddish may be this draft’s most promising prospect.”
#TeamTank
shakespeare
Writer

Postby Don Che » October 28, 2018, 6:49 am

reddish has the talent but his motor and defense have been questioned

and he isn't a vertical athlete like the guys hes compared to hes more of a fluid athlete.

also not a fan of his release point...very low and doesnt really jump either...which leads to streaky shooting

but hea 6'8 can shoot/handle/pass it at a good rate and really fits today's NBA.

and looking at how Duke players have progressed into the NBA the last 2 years mainly Bagley and Tatum I think their training staff really helps these guys prepare for the league those guys ironed out their range before going to the NBA...reddish has all the NBA skill and tools to succeed but he lacks fundamentals at this stage which are easily fixable...hes a smart kid I just dont know how good he wants to be...and weirdly enough he fits this squad very well just on his 3 point shooting and passing...2 things we lack.

excited to see his progress from now till May
Don Che

Postby nazrmohamed » October 28, 2018, 9:55 am

That's the knock on Reddish since HS. The fact that he can sorta hover in and out of games. When needed he can look like a superstar but other times he has the propensity to just hide in an offense. But still, hes an extremely talented wing who Id love to have. My top 5 at this time will all put us in a good position

1Barrett
2Reddish
3Little
4Zion
5Grimes

what I like is that most of the wings are sg/sfs which is a role we're in need of, that flexibility to play Frank at PG next to most of these guys or if its determined he's a SG they can play point forward and shift everybody down to a smallball lineup. Zion is sorta the odd man in my plan but he's proving good enough for me to change my plan if needed. Knox's development may dictate how I wanna draft. Ex. should he build muscle and become a skilled stretch 4 or should he get into better cardio shape, work on his handle more and stay a SF. Too early to know.
Grady- Mario is the KD of tanking. Fiz got worried that playing Jordan would help the Knicks win, so he has to make sure Mario gets plenty of minutes.
nazrmohamed

Postby shakespeare » October 28, 2018, 1:45 pm

Thanks for the in-depth posts.

Looking forward to watching Barrett, Reddish and Zion this season. Hopefully all 3 players remain injury-free and we get to see what each [might] bring to the table, professionally.

I saw where Boston has a chance to draft one of them and it scared me.
#TeamTank
shakespeare
Writer

Postby cragganmor » October 28, 2018, 2:21 pm

Actually, I see the Celts moving that pick if they resign Irving. All depends on how much progress they can make this season.
cragganmor

PreviousNext

Return to New York Knicks