2018-2019 Tank err, Rebuild

Discuss New York Knicks news, current events, players, and history.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv, cru77jones

Re: 2018-2019 Tank

Postby nazrmohamed » June 23, 2018, 11:46 pm

Please,, let's not fuck around and get cute. You don't draft somebody, watch them blossom before your eyes and then start playing hardball with thier contract. The Knicks are the type to play hardball to save 5 mil per just to say we could do it and then with the savings pay Ron Baker. Just invest in your homegrown stars and stop overpaying bums ok. That's what passes me off about the Knicks. We'll pay top dollar for has beens and d leaguers and then in turn let KOQ walk because he wants 10mil per. Wanna play hard with KP. You could sign KP twice over if you simply never made Noah type deals, Hardaway deals.

Don't because you've made prior bad decisions, make new bad decisions that could've been great decisions. KP will be fine. He wasnt overpowered into a ACL tear, he jumped into the air and landed on a foot. It was an event based injury. What he needs to do is not jump in the air and land on foots. I'm paying him his money and watching he, Knox, Ntilikina and Reddish form a core that the league will envy.
PHISHER
nazrmohamed

Postby taowave » June 24, 2018, 9:47 am

I loved the Rose signing as it was a free option..One year,no big deal..

That would be the perfect strategic strategy for KP,strictly from a business point of view...

Noah was way too injury prone,coming off shoulder surgery and was rapidly losing his athleticism.I honestly dont know how anyone could offer a 30 something guy that contract..

This KP situation is really tricky..Team Janis didnt even show up for the exit interview. Thats pretty unusual..

I dont know how long we have to offer the max to KP..Can we wait till March and get a look at how he is responding??

I dont care if he doesnt play this year,in fact I would prefer it.If we are going to offer 25% of cap to him for 5 years,i want to be super cautious and see how he is progressing...

With that said,I lean towards maxiing for 5 years (or trading him),but not offering him less than the max. I want us to be all in or all out...Preferably in

Red wrote:
Thanks for the in depth post tao.

You want to extend the qo tao I get it, we can match any deal; feel out the market who we assume if he's 100% would be top offers. But 5 years? :?

You want to decide today to put your $ on this guy for 5 years? I can't... They passed on MPJ so. All i can think about is how hard you went on noah and rose and their injuries.
taowave

Postby shakespeare » June 24, 2018, 10:16 am

RJ Barrett doesn’t remind me of Kobe, but I can see why others might believe as much. He’s another versatile basketball player, new breed. Sorta reminds me of Andrew Wiggins when he played at Kansas https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SceUJE_DPB8

NBA comparison is Michael Redd.
The Porzingis blessing is real.
#TeamTank
shakespeare
Writer

Postby shakespeare » June 24, 2018, 10:25 am

Red wrote: As a matter of business I can't commit 5 years to someone who can't make it through the season let alone the playoffs.

Me neither, unless I’m the billionaire owner of the New York Knicks and the player is Kristaps Porzingis, the face of my franchise. I can see if he’d torn his ACL more than once or while in his 30s. That would make a difference.

But at 22 or 23 years of age, I don’t even blink.

Again, in the article I linked, Dolan mentioned putting a supporting cast around his great player, indicating KP remains a New York Knickerbocker.
#TeamTank
shakespeare
Writer

Postby shakespeare » June 24, 2018, 10:27 am

nazrmohamed wrote:

Don't because you've made prior bad decisions, make new bad decisions that could've been great decisions. KP will be fine.

Agreed.
#TeamTank
shakespeare
Writer

Postby shakespeare » June 24, 2018, 10:33 am

Early mock draft has Knicks picking 9th, but most of the teams drafting higher should sport better records. http://www.nbadraft.net/2019mock_draft

Also, I can’t see Phoenix Suns ending the ‘19 season with the worse record in the league.
#TeamTank
shakespeare
Writer

Postby Koopa Troopa » June 24, 2018, 2:33 pm

shakespeare wrote:Early mock draft has Knicks picking 9th, but most of the teams drafting higher should sport better records. http://www.nbadraft.net/2019mock_draft

Also, I can’t see Phoenix Suns ending the ‘19 season with the worse record in the league.

Damn, its like that huh? Were already looking at 2019 mock drafts?

Being a Knick fan is brutal.
Koopa Troopa

Postby Mike1989 » June 24, 2018, 7:22 pm

shakespeare wrote:Early mock draft has Knicks picking 9th, but most of the teams drafting higher should sport better records. http://www.nbadraft.net/2019mock_draft

If I'm not mistaken that looks like the 2018 draft order prior to the draft lottery?

I'd expect most of them to want to do better than last year like Dallas and Memphis who don't intend to tank again, but others just might not be good enough to win many games. I think we'll be the latter, we'll try but probably not be good enough unless our new coach gets more out of this team than we expect.
Mike1989

Postby NewlyKnicked » June 25, 2018, 3:57 am

Yeah the team order doesn't mean a thing yet. Even less that the draftees order one year ahead of the draft
2017 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
NewlyKnicked

Postby Mike1989 » June 25, 2018, 4:40 am

ESPN's way too early mock...

1. RJ Barrett, Duke - Hawks
2. Nassir Little, UNC - Celtics >:(
3. Sekou Doumbouya, INT - Magic
4. Cam Reddish, Duke - Mavericks
5. Romeo Langford, IND - Suns
6. Quetin Crimes, Kan - Nets
7. Zion Williamson, Duke - Knicks
8. Darrius Garland, Vandy- Grizzlies
9. DeAndre Hunter, VA - Bulls
10. Daniel Gafford, AR - Hornets

I'd have no issue with that pick for us, though I would be tempted to take Gafford.
Mike1989

Postby shakespeare » June 25, 2018, 12:14 pm

Boston Celtics are gonna be a problem for a long, long time.

And I’m not sure if Williamson’s game will transfer in the NBA. I believe New York drafts much higher, though.
#TeamTank
shakespeare
Writer

Postby cragganmor » June 25, 2018, 1:03 pm

Zion is damned entertaining, though. The next Barkley?
cragganmor

Postby nazrmohamed » June 25, 2018, 2:10 pm

I don't think Ive seen Zion do anything besides dunk a basketball. Can't wait to see what he can do at Duke
PHISHER
nazrmohamed

Postby Red » June 25, 2018, 2:50 pm

Just in case you were low on gas...

Chris Mannix of Yahoo Sports said on his podcast the Celtics are “scared” Irving could leave next summer, and the Knicks are viewed as a potential destination. 
Knicks president Steve Mills made it clear that New York plans to sign a star in the 2019 offseason. "Porzingis is a magnet."

"I’m ready to come out and show people I’m able to play defense...’’Kevin Knox
Red

Postby Don Che » June 25, 2018, 3:09 pm

if he wants to be here hes gonna have to wait.

win a ring in Boston and sign here if he wants.

but unless Knox/Frank are way ahead of schedule..no reason to trade.
Don Che

Postby spree#8 » June 25, 2018, 3:11 pm

No one is talking about a trade. But I don't think that the Celtics have anything to fear. They will play a great season and then he will resign with them.
#knickstape
spree#8

Postby rebound » June 28, 2018, 1:13 am

I'd bet that Irving doesn't re-sign with the Celtics.
Team Mills
rebound

Postby big_j_NY » June 28, 2018, 3:34 am

nazrmohamed wrote:I don't think Ive seen Zion do anything besides dunk a basketball. Can't wait to see what he can do at Duke

From what I've seen so far........Zion basically looks a modern-day rendition of "prime Grandmama" himself (the Knicks never got the prime version, we got the one with a busted back)
#EmbraceTheTank2018

#InPorzingisWeTrust

Hassan Whiteside wrote:I'm just tryin...tryin 2 really get my NBA 2K rating up
big_j_NY

Postby NewlyKnicked » June 28, 2018, 4:01 am

Not too high on Zion yet, but I want to see how he plays in a system surrounded by talented teammates who don't stop playing after passing him the ball to pick up their phones and instagram his dunks.

Didn't see anything from Doumboya either, but I'll pay attention this season (although I think he plays in our 2nd division)

I like what I saw from Barret, Reddish and Little
2017 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
NewlyKnicked

Postby washingtonparkjones » June 30, 2018, 11:45 am

Red wrote:
And if defense is our priority, even over winning for a period, it would be like a cornered animal with nothing to lose. A drunken bully who loves to brawl. We should pride ourselves on playing spoiler. A real IDGAF about making the playoffs attitude which would really bother the opponent who assumes otherwise.

That also means create and cultivate our identity for future acquisitions. Think Tom Thibodeau. Current players, draft picks, free agents, players traded for should know New York is a defensive team when Fiz is done. There should be no question as to the identity and minimal talent we seek: defense.

And maybe our record won't reflect it but our goal should be to inprove and be one of the best defensive teams. I'm guessing some may say we need talented defensive players first and my response would be approach the season as if you already have a few and are trying to find that out. Prioritize defense over wins.

.... and it only took you a year to get it.

http://forums.nykfp.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=39914#p710376
Red wrote:"How do you plan to lose..."

*We don't.

*Channeling my inner winner mentality.

The two (winning & player development) aren't mutually exclusive so the short answer is do what Popovich would do.

I get that everyone wants everything. Team tank wants to develop guys like KP into an alpha male while preparing to draft the next All NBA 1st team talent next year. I get it. You want cake. In your mind now that we have picks (and had picks that have materialized) you see the potential to draft the next superstar. This gives you the flexibility and advantage of fielding the best team for less cost which in turn leads to acquiring better players via FA, trading, etc...

To me it's about priority. Winning and excelling are always first. Now you say how do you win if the players aren't developed? All players are developed to an extent. Not all develop at the same rate and they all won't receive the same opportunities.

So I'd guess you pick one or two and concentrate there. You give these one or two players as much minutes as you can without being a detriment to winning. If it becomes obvious they can't get it done I think you move on and find someone else to focus on. Rinse and repeat
washingtonparkjones

PreviousNext

Return to New York Knicks