Knicks 2018-2019 roster discussion

Discuss New York Knicks news, current events, players, and history.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv, cru77jones

Re: Knicks 2018-2019 roster discussion

Postby cragganmor » September 22, 2018, 3:44 pm

Yeah, we have a ways to go in the team passing category. But the thing that Fiz can do now is improve the effort and awareness on d; that can trigger the break on transition, let our kids exploit length and athleticism until their halfcourt skills catch up.
cragganmor

Postby spree#8 » September 23, 2018, 1:04 am

With all this talk about passing: you realize that we were 9th in assists per 100 possessions last season, right?

Sharing the ball was not really one of our problems. That being said, we lost our best passing bigman in O'Quinn, so that could have an effect early. On the other side, we will likely play smaller with either Knox or Hezonja at the four (who both should pass more than KP/Beasley), so the ball should swing just fine.
#knickstape
spree#8

Postby rebound » September 23, 2018, 8:21 am

With the report that Noah will be waived before training camp the rosters stands at 14 guaranteed contracts:
kanter, tim, lee, lance, mario, kp, ron, mudiay, frank, knox, trey, mitch, luke, dot

fight for the 15th.
i think vonleh wins it. perry and mills have mentioned him a lot as of recently.
plus the other camp invites are unknowns, although trier and allen have some hype around them.
Team Mills
rebound

Postby Don Che » September 23, 2018, 8:37 am

look at the young core....we aren't a good passing team.

assists will be an issue with KP/Knox/Mitch as a frontline

unless Knox makes strides earlier than expected

that along with defense but the variables are high on how this goes depending on which young players take the steps forward to become foundation guys here
Don Che

Postby gradyandrew » September 23, 2018, 11:06 pm

KP beat Jokic in the skills challenge. Hes got some work to do, but I think hes fine as a passing big man.
This is a FAN page that relies on its members for content and commentary. So don't be a lurker, be a POSTER, even if it's just a picture of a fat guy eating a hamburger.
gradyandrew

Postby Don Che » September 24, 2018, 3:38 am

gradyandrew wrote:KP beat Jokic in the skills challenge. Hes got some work to do, but I think hes fine as a passing big man.

wait what?
Don Che

Postby nazrmohamed » September 24, 2018, 5:25 am

Yep, he beat everyone in the skills competition.
PHISHER
nazrmohamed

Postby Don Che » September 27, 2018, 11:33 am

Don Che

Postby StevoStarks » September 27, 2018, 1:35 pm

Don Che wrote:https://dailyknicks.com/2018/09/26/new-york-knicks-halt-kyrie-irving-pursuit-now/

Translation - "We're tired of talking about this hypothetical situation so can we please focus on what's happening now in training camp with the players that are there."
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
- Dr. Seuss

"Woody was the perfect coach for these mutts."
- taowave

"Is he REALLY injured?? A part of me doesnt believe that he is and I think he's just being a bitch. Bitch-nani."
- rynyk222
StevoStarks
Writer

Postby spree#8 » October 3, 2018, 4:09 am

Something to observe roster wise: With Trier having a good camp and starting off the right foot in the preseason opener, it'll be interesting to see whether the Knicks give him the Burke treatment - i.e. building him up in the G-league first - or if they create a roster spot for him right off the bat to start the season.

If they do, I'll repeat a guess I had in the summer, that Kornet's spot on the roster is in danger. With us playing Thomas, Hezonja or Knox at the 4 in KP's absence and Kanter, Robinson and Vonleh likely splitting time at the 5, I think Kornet could be the man out. Vonleh's contract is unguaranteed, so he is also a candidate, but IMO brings more to the table, and Baker who gets mentioned a lot is a) a solid defender who plays smart and b) his expiring contract is a nice trade chip to have.

Roster would look like this after cutting Noah and Kornet:

C Kanter - Robinson - Vonleh
PF Thomas - Hezonja - (KP)
SF Knox - Lee - Dotson
SG Hardaway - Mudiay - Baker
PG Burke - Ntilikina - Trier
#knickstape
spree#8

Postby nazrmohamed » October 3, 2018, 5:51 am

Nah, I'd keep Kornet close by. 2 C is not enough even with the lesser emphasis in C. At least until KP is firmly back. Not to mention you can simulate some of the things KP can do as a shooting big man. These guys should be running but they still need to play some traditional ball skill when KP comes back it ain't a culture shock.

Last thing I'd want is KP treated like Melo was when he returned from injury only to have Dantoni fans hate him. We're a half court team.
PHISHER
nazrmohamed

Postby spree#8 » October 3, 2018, 6:10 am

Kornet just isn't any good from what I have seen since he is with us, that's why his spot is in danger in case we want to have Trier on the 15 men roster. We signed Vonleh to take his bigman spot. Wouldn't be surprised though if Trier gets send to the G-league first and called up a la Burke (maybe once KP is back). Just speculating who would be out...
#knickstape
spree#8

Postby thewatcher » October 3, 2018, 8:11 am

Yeah, I like Luke but he's the odd man out. I also like Mudiay and want to give him a chance, but I REALLY like Trier, and I think he will win the back-up PG spot within a month or two. Dude's hesitation dribble is so sweet, gets to the rim, gets fouled and finishes.
n8 the gr8 wrote:
The first rule of NYKFP is you don't talk about NYKFP.
thewatcher

Postby NYGM » October 3, 2018, 10:59 am

spree#8 wrote:Something to observe roster wise: With Trier having a good camp and starting off the right foot in the preseason opener, it'll be interesting to see whether the Knicks give him the Burke treatment - i.e. building him up in the G-league first - or if they create a roster spot for him right off the bat to start the season.

If they do, I'll repeat a guess I had in the summer, that Kornet's spot on the roster is in danger. With us playing Thomas, Hezonja or Knox at the 4 in KP's absence and Kanter, Robinson and Vonleh likely splitting time at the 5, I think Kornet could be the man out. Vonleh's contract is unguaranteed, so he is also a candidate, but IMO brings more to the table, and Baker who gets mentioned a lot is a) a solid defender who plays smart and b) his expiring contract is a nice trade chip to have.

SF Knox - Lee - Dotson

I like this Trier kid and his handles.. He seems to have the ability to go places and i like that..

But (always a but) he looks 6'4, i mean he looks a lot smaller than Frank for example.. The kid has a scorers mentality and was called "Iso Zo" in college, that tyoe of offense can be shot down if you are not elite..

The downside is on defense, he's a guard but who is he going to guard? PG's? SG's?.. Can he pass the ball?..
NYGM

Postby StevoStarks » October 3, 2018, 11:58 am

Trier 100% deserves a spot. That kid has a killer instinct. Love his game.
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
- Dr. Seuss

"Woody was the perfect coach for these mutts."
- taowave

"Is he REALLY injured?? A part of me doesnt believe that he is and I think he's just being a bitch. Bitch-nani."
- rynyk222
StevoStarks
Writer

Postby ISIAH_THOMAS » October 3, 2018, 12:01 pm

StevoStarks wrote:Trier 100% deserves a spot. That kid has a killer instinct. Love his game.

Agree he has nba skills
TAKE THAT FOR DATA
ISIAH_THOMAS

Postby ISIAH_THOMAS » October 3, 2018, 12:02 pm

spree#8 wrote:Kornet just isn't any good from what I have seen since he is with us, that's why his spot is in danger in case we want to have Trier on the 15 men roster. We signed Vonleh to take his bigman spot. Wouldn't be surprised though if Trier gets send to the G-league first and called up a la Burke (maybe once KP is back). Just speculating who would be out...

yeah kornet is def a cut candidate

Him Mudiay are both players I would let go and not blink a eye
TAKE THAT FOR DATA
ISIAH_THOMAS

Postby spree#8 » October 4, 2018, 2:15 am

Kornet the guy that didn't play in game 2, while Trier looks like a keeper (when it comes to the 15 men roster).
#knickstape
spree#8

Postby rebound » October 4, 2018, 3:36 am

spree#8 wrote:Something to observe roster wise: With Trier having a good camp and starting off the right foot in the preseason opener, it'll be interesting to see whether the Knicks give him the Burke treatment - i.e. building him up in the G-league first - or if they create a roster spot for him right off the bat to start the season.

SF Knox - Lee - Dotson

This seems good. I guess Knicks can keep Trier in the dleague until Noah's buyout is complete?
Team Mills
rebound

Postby spree#8 » October 4, 2018, 3:41 am

rebound wrote:
This seems good. I guess Knicks can keep Trier in the dleague until Noah's buyout is complete?

Yeah, we are in no rush. We can even keep him for 45 days as a 16th man on his two-way deal before having to clear a spot.
#knickstape
spree#8

PreviousNext

Return to New York Knicks