Knicks 2018-2019 roster discussion

Discuss New York Knicks news, current events, players, and history.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv, cru77jones

Re: Knicks 2018-2019 roster discussion

Postby cragganmor » August 7, 2018, 3:25 pm

StevoStarks wrote:I hear he's developing a sky hook 3.

like this guy?
https://youtu.be/Ua92vi_UsKI :LOL:
cragganmor

Postby Don Che » August 7, 2018, 3:25 pm

wake me up when Enes Kanter practices taking charges and learning physical defense like Zaza

if I was a big man that couldnt jump or run...i'd study guys like him/Kurt Thomas/Oak and others like them that see success on defense with no form of physical tools to do so.
Don Che

Postby cragganmor » August 7, 2018, 3:34 pm

Yeah, Zsa Zsa would be a great role model for him.
cragganmor

Postby Koopa Troopa » August 8, 2018, 5:59 pm

Rusty La Rue wrote:It sounds like most people on here want Fiz to make the team look good, play hard etc... but loose :? You cannot expect the coach to keep players on the floor that isn't delivering... I am a big believer in Frank but I am not going to blame the coach if he takes him off the floor if he is not playing well... That is the first way for a coach to loose respect among his players is if he doesn't make players earn their minuttes...

I want all the young players to get all the minuttes they can... but I also want us to win as many games as possible... I am not going to sit and root for the Knicks to loose because we then might get a good draft pick...

Same. I want them to try their best. From the players to the coaches. Not interested in wins and losses. Tanking doesnt mean shit in a world where D Mitchell was like 12th or 13th.
Koopa Troopa

Postby StevoStarks » August 8, 2018, 6:15 pm

That's right. Just play the game.
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
- Dr. Seuss

"Woody was the perfect coach for these mutts."
- taowave

"Is he REALLY injured?? A part of me doesnt believe that he is and I think he's just being a bitch. Bitch-nani."
- rynyk222
StevoStarks
Writer

Postby shakespeare » August 22, 2018, 7:29 pm

The Porzingis blessing is real.
#TeamTank
shakespeare
Writer

Postby maxinquaye11 » August 22, 2018, 8:17 pm

^Gets more interesting as you scroll down. Our future backcourt and THJ as super 6th man.

Trey and frank working together latenights. I say its more of them building chemistry together rather than competing for the same starting job. What a great picture to see. #unseenhrs

"Simply putting THJ into the right role could really help his shot selection and efficiencies. 17 mill a year for a 3rd option/6th man is fair value. What i think hurts this perception is it will be very hard for THJ to ever play above his contract, ......"
 " Stat at 3 was code for Melo playing in the low post..." - n8 the gr8

"I don't ever wanna hear anyone bash max's 2 pg love again." - H20Knick

"Cant lie, he did play better off the bench." - nazrmohammed
maxinquaye11

Postby shakespeare » August 23, 2018, 8:50 am

Me too, Max. I’m beginning to think out strength will be in our backcourt, at least offensively it will, at least til or if and when Porzingis returns, at least until we draft another starting front court player.

Burke and THJ should resemble some sort of firepower, at some point of the season. So although we’ll be in the running for a top lottery pick, this season won’t be a complete drag.
#TeamTank
shakespeare
Writer

Postby Red » August 23, 2018, 2:46 pm

I was unaware Burke and Thj can play defense. I haven't heard anywhere about Burke and THj's defense.

So why would we be considering/pondering/anticipating either being a part of our starting lineup?

We're losing (some say) purposely to achieve some goal. Sacrificing years and careers of certain players. Hiring and firing as if all the answers are obvious.

All to ponder if Trey Burke and THj should start.

Gtfoh. They are not good enough. Anyone thinking differently is an exercise in futility.

Don't sell me tank as if you have some master plan then show your ass by advocating for Trey Fucking Burke and THJ like they're some world beaters.

Our (years worth of) efforts cannot and should not be punctuated with add Burke and Junior to the starting lineup and then all we'll need is another front court person.

That's shit you say when you don't know basketball. No front court rookie in next years draft will bring these dudes defense up to an acceptable level.

Can't say tank/rebuild and in the same breath say start Burke and Junior unless of course what you're really saying is they suck so much we're almost guaranteed a top pick. And in that case carry on. :popcorn:
Knicks president Steve Mills made it clear that New York plans to sign a star in the 2019 offseason. "Porzingis is a magnet."

"I’m ready to come out and show people I’m able to play defense...’’Kevin Knox
Red

Postby shakespeare » August 23, 2018, 3:56 pm

Lol, Red, what are you talking about now?

You’re all over the place.
#TeamTank
shakespeare
Writer

Postby nazrmohamed » August 23, 2018, 8:41 pm

I totally agree with Red on this one. :thumbsup:
PHISHER
nazrmohamed

Postby gradyandrew » August 23, 2018, 9:17 pm

Totally disagree. THJs defense is above average for a wing, he'll be a borderline all-star this season. If you want to see him coming off the bench, see you in 2022.
This is a FAN page that relies on its members for content and commentary. So don't be a lurker, be a POSTER, even if it's just a picture of a fat guy eating a hamburger.
gradyandrew

Postby spree#8 » August 24, 2018, 3:44 am

Yeah, I have no idea why anyone would lump the defensive capabilities of those two together. :? Big difference. Since when is being average and being a liability the same?
#knickstape
spree#8

Postby taowave » August 24, 2018, 8:02 am

Yeah,THj is a halfway decent defender especially at the 2..My gripe with him is consistency.

If we are talking D,the glaring weakness is upfront.Kanter,Mario and Knox? That will be a comedy of errors that should lead us to the promised Draft Land
taowave

Postby nazrmohamed » August 24, 2018, 12:47 pm

Well I think that Red was talking about them as a tandem. If many here now feel that Burke is our best PG because of his scoring and then they also feel that THJ is our best SG then what does that tell you? That you probably think both should start together.

So where I agree with him is that those two separate truths do not make the combination of both our best option. Both can't defend but either can score. At the very least you would want to pair either of them with a defensive stud. Best case scenario (and it doesn't have to happen within this season) is if we were bringing along a superior two way guard in addition to our defensive stud and that defensive stud LEARNED TO SHOOT THE GODDAM BALL!!!
PHISHER
nazrmohamed

Postby taowave » August 24, 2018, 1:20 pm

In Burkes 3 best games'he averaged 26 per which is impressive..But whats way more impressive is he averaged 13 assists per in those games with a TOTAL of 3 turnovers..Thats a 13-1 A/TO ratio..

Obviously,hes not going to do that night in and night out,but Burke showed enough last year that he deserves a real shot,either starting or coming off the bench...For me,this year is about price discovery and where our money should be best spent the following year...

Mudiay,Frank,Burke,Mario and to a lesser degree Hardaway are my question marks. We sort of know Haraways floor..Robinson is too raw right now,and i dont believe we will be looking at 5's in FA.

nazrmohamed wrote:Well I think that Red was talking about them as a tandem. If many here now feel that Burke is our best PG because of his scoring and then they also feel that THJ is our best SG then what does that tell you? That you probably think both should start together.

So where I agree with him is that those two separate truths do not make the combination of both our best option. Both can't defend but either can score. At the very least you would want to pair either of them with a defensive stud. Best case scenario (and it doesn't have to happen within this season) is if we were bringing along a superior two way guard in addition to our defensive stud and that defensive stud LEARNED TO SHOOT THE GODDAM BALL!!!
taowave

Postby cragganmor » August 24, 2018, 1:39 pm

Burke and THJ have defensive efficiency of 114 & 113 per 100 respectively, both are below avg. Dunno where this plus defender label started from, but stats tell a different story.
cragganmor

Postby taowave » August 24, 2018, 2:12 pm

Interestingly, Lebron has the same defensive rating as Kevin Love around 110..Which happens to be the same as Lauri Markenen..Hmmmmm....And if that doesnt speak volumes,Melo has a better defensive rating than Bron.. :?

Oh,and bron has a shitty Net rating...

Im a numbers guy,but I have an eyebrow raised :)

cragganmor wrote:Burke and THJ have defensive efficiency of 114 & 113 per 100 respectively, both are below avg. Dunno where this plus defender label started from, but stats tell a different story.
taowave

Postby cragganmor » August 24, 2018, 5:14 pm

The past 2 seasons, LeBron had def. rating per 100 possessions of 108 & 109, slipping from his career average of 103, as per:
https://www.basketball-reference.com/pl ... sle01.html
cragganmor

Postby taowave » August 24, 2018, 6:07 pm

And Melo has a 105?

I am with you,but would you ever choose Melo over Lebron to guard a lamppost?

Maybe Melo guards the teams worst offensive player???

cragganmor wrote:The past 2 seasons, LeBron had def. rating per 100 possessions of 108 & 109, slipping from his career average of 103, as per:
https://www.basketball-reference.com/pl ... sle01.html
taowave

PreviousNext

Return to New York Knicks