Knicks 2018-2019 roster discussion

Discuss New York Knicks news, current events, players, and history.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv

NewlyKnicked
Likes given: 162

Someone's got to throw the ball, and these 4 look to be our best offensive threats. I wouldn't mind Knox taking a few bad shots if there's some improvements during the season. Rookies make mistakes, that's how you learn.

Who else would you want firing it? According to your >60TS% rule, only Enes can shoot it. Opposite teams are going to figure our offensive systems pretty quickly....
2017 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
2020 Co-NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
2021 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
taowave
Likes given: 844

There's a major difference between playing within the offense and shooting at will..

Knox may be a natural scorer,but he wasn't Mr Efficiency in summer league..

Trey was really good,but if he wants to start,he needs to be more of a facilitator and less of a Gunner..Don't need a 2 guard in a 1 body..

It's one thing to develop young guys,but having them fire at will isn't exactly developing a well rounded game..

Steph Curry ,KD and Klay should fire at will . And they don't..
NewlyKnicked

Shooting at will doesn't preclude necessarily an offensive flow. The shoot doesn't need to come from iso with the 4 other players standing pat.

I get that you want shooting with efficiency (cf your beef with Timmy), but taking good shots/making good decisions is also something that develops over time. Knox is probably going to be one of our future main weapons. Why not use this empty season to let him fire away and figure out what works out at this level and when driving/passing/taking a back seat would be a better option...

I ask again, who else would you want shooting the ball then? Someone's got to do it. I'd prefer it to be our young gunner than a more efficient vet like Lee (next in %TS) for instance.

Btw Trey is one of our top players in %TS as well even while he's taking a huge bunch of those long 2pters that this metric hates. I'd have him take a step back but keep being an offensive threat.

For the warriors, there's but one ball to shoot and those three take the lion's share. They have beautiful set ups, but when Curry shoots it from the parking lot, he does shoot it at will
taowave

Steph Curry had a .675 TS last year..Im fine with him shooting the second he crosses mid court...He has earned that right...

Kevin Knox is a rookie who looked good in SL but is obviously no Steph Curry and i doubt he comes anywhere near Currys first year efficiency...

Judging from SL,Ill be OK if he duplicates Durants first year in the pros....Still dont think he should be hoisting up 20 shots per

IMHO,Knox shooting at will should benefit the tank.....

NewlyKnicked wrote:Shooting at will doesn't preclude necessarily an offensive flow. The shoot doesn't need to come from iso with the 4 other players standing pat.

I get that you want shooting with efficiency (cf your beef with Timmy), but taking good shots/making good decisions is also something that develops over time. Knox is probably going to be one of our future main weapons. Why not use this empty season to let him fire away and figure out what works out at this level and when driving/passing/taking a back seat would be a better option...

I ask again, who else would you want shooting the ball then? Someone's got to do it. I'd prefer it to be our young gunner than a more efficient vet like Lee (next in %TS) for instance.

Btw Trey is one of our top players in %TS as well even while he's taking a huge bunch of those long 2pters that this metric hates. I'd have him take a step back but keep being an offensive threat.

For the warriors, there's but one ball to shoot and those three take the lion's share. They have beautiful set ups, but when Curry shoots it from the parking lot, he does shoot it at will
Rusty La Rue
Likes given: 814

NewlyKnicked wrote:Shooting at will doesn't preclude necessarily an offensive flow. The shoot doesn't need to come from iso with the 4 other players standing pat.

I ask again, who else would you want shooting the ball then? Someone's got to do it. I'd prefer it to be our young gunner than a more efficient vet like Lee (next in %TS) for instance.l
I believe you contradict yourself a little bit here Newly... You cannot want both an offensive flow and then want Knox to just fire away... I prefer our young players learn to play the game the right way... meaning move the ball to get the best possible shot, so I would rather that Knox uses the extra pass than shoot a bad shot. Of course you can run plays for him so he gets in good positions and thereby get a good amount of shots in each game... but let us get these young players to play hard D and move the ball on offense... that will benefit the team in the future...
2023 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
"Everybody gets excited about youth except the coach, because he knows youth means mistakes, mistakes mean losses, losses means you're fired."
NewlyKnicked

taowave wrote:Steph Curry had a .675 TS last year..Im fine with him shooting the second he crosses mid court...He has earned that right...

Kevin Knox is a rookie who looked good in SL but is obviously no Steph Curry and i doubt he comes anywhere near Currys first year efficiency...

Judging from SL,Ill be OK if he duplicates Durants first year in the pros....Still dont think he should be hoisting up 20 shots per

IMHO,Knox shooting at will should benefit the tank.....
Of course, I don't expect Knox to be shooting like Steph. Nobody does. And I also think that Kevin is going to toss a few bricks around. Frankly I see a lot of losing in stock for us this season, Knox shooting a bunch or not.

I was trying to say that I'm ok with Knox being one of the center pieces of our offense from the get go. For two reasons: 1)Let him develop and learn from mistakes. 2) Who else would you want shooting when only Kanter shoots efficiently enough for your standards?
NewlyKnicked

Rusty La Rue wrote:I believe you contradict yourself a little bit here Newly... You cannot want both an offensive flow and then want Knox to just fire away... I prefer our young players learn to play the game the right way... meaning move the ball to get the best possible shot, so I would rather that Knox uses the extra pass than shoot a bad shot. Of course you can run plays for him so he gets in good positions and thereby get a good amount of shots in each game... but let us get these young players to play hard D and move the ball on offense... that will benefit the team in the future...
No contradiction here, we agree.
I don't want Melo iso either (don't think anyone does), but we should look to have systems featuring Knox as one of our main offensive weapons from the get go as our future depends in part on him fitting that role.

What did you think about the Jazz offense last year? Do you think DM "plays the game the right way"?
Rusty La Rue

NewlyKnicked wrote:What did you think about the Jazz offense last year? Do you think DM "plays the game the right way"?
I did not see enough Jazz games last season to give the Jazz and DM a fair assessment... Highligst never give the real picture... I would say that for a guy who drives that good good to the basket I would like a higher FG% than .437... but he also took a lot of 3s (7 per game) and only shot it at .340 % so that explains that... I guess what I am saying is that if Knox choose to drive to the basket instead of taking bad 2 point shots like DM... then I would be happy...

I like efficient basketball instead of flashy basketball... so I guess I am more impressed by the Jazz D than their O ;)
"Everybody gets excited about youth except the coach, because he knows youth means mistakes, mistakes mean losses, losses means you're fired."
NewlyKnicked

I get that, but to me shot efficiency is one of the things that come with experience
I feel a rookie like Knox whose scoring will be greatly needed for us in the future should be allowed to shoot without the fear how getting benched if it's a bad decision
taowave

I think we are on the same page. What sets me off is Dons wording..
Knox will legit be given as many shots as he wants.
That implies Knox is running the show,and is the defacto coach while Fiz sits on the sidelines holding his balls..

Do I think Knox will be an integral part of the offense? Of course,maybe even the focal point..But in no way will he have the green light from Fiz to launch away...Knox isnt Kobe,nor is he Russel Westbrook

My guess is Knox takes about 15 shots per and winds up with a TS of .500 or less.
thewatcher
Likes given: 2682

We have a lot of great scorers, but we need great team-work, make the extra pass, hit the open man. I really donb't know anything about whar offensive scheme Fiz will run, but if it's a good one, we have the potential to be unguardable as a team (with KP). :drunk:
n8 the gr8 wrote:
The first rule of NYKFP is you don't talk about NYKFP.
NewlyKnicked

taowave wrote:That implies Knox is running the show,and is the defacto coach while Fiz sits on the sidelines holding his balls..

Do I think Knox will be an integral part of the offense? Of course,maybe even the focal point..But in no way will he have the green light from Fiz to launch away...Knox isnt Kobe,nor is he Russel Westbrook

My guess is Knox takes about 15 shots per and winds up with a TS of .500 or less.
Yes, I think it's just a question of nuances and what we hear in the "at will" part.
I'd be fine with that number of shots (more or less what the scoring rookies (DM, DSJ, Kuzma...) fired last season).
NewlyKnicked

thewatcher wrote:We have a lot of great scorers, but we need great team-work, make the extra pass, hit the open man. I really donb't know anything about whar offensive scheme Fiz will run, but if it's a good one, we have the potential to be unguardable as a team (with KP). :drunk:
Who do you put in that "great scorers" category?

To me, KP is the only one I'd trust to score any day of the week. Beaz was also a very good scorer but he's gone. After that, THJ has shown flashes he can be a 20+ppg but he also lacks consistency so far, Kanter is a double-double machine but I wouldn't call him great at scoring, and Burke needs to confirm he's the stuff.

Am I missing someone?
taowave

LOL....Watcher tends to get very optimistic this time of year

KP started the season as a great scorer but definetly hit a bit of a wall..

Th J is a scorer,but certainly not great..

Knox is a rookie who was not bashful..nor very efficient..

Im guessing Trey is a scorer???

Watcher,when you sat WE,are you referring to the Knicks :P

NewlyKnicked wrote: Who do you put in that "great scorers" category?

To me, KP is the only one I'd trust to score any day of the week. Beaz was also a very good scorer but he's gone. After that, THJ has shown flashes he can be a 20+ppg but he also lacks consistency so far, Kanter is a double-double machine but I wouldn't call him great at scoring, and Burke needs to confirm he's the stuff.

Am I missing someone?
Last edited by taowave on August 31st, 2018, 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
taowave

Heres an OK(not great) article discussing Knox and his scoring role with the Knicks..

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/279 ... -porzingis
Don Che
Likes given: 9

haha you guys really dived into that huh?

Knox at minimum the 3rd option this year. he will be given a ton of shots compared to most rookies.

you guys talk TS% and mention 4 hall of Famers being on the same team and not chucking. klay curry and KD would get a ton of shots if they were the only threat. and Knox isnt them. the Knicks aren't the warriors. the Knicks are developing not in the middle of a dynasty. you give Knox the keys now and let him work things out. we aren't winning a lot of games anyway
cragganmor
Likes given: 93

Dunno how the final season tally will finish, but at the start THJ will get the green light 24/7. I'd think that among Trey, Mario, Lee they'd organise things for the next 4 spots. Knox as a rookie will need to earn his shots. I'd think Fiz wants to see good decisions from his prized rookie, not learn sloppy habits.

My expectations of Kevin are to show a good grasp of the pnr, spot up on the 3, defend and share the ball.
NewlyKnicked

I tried to find it again but couldn't get my hands on an article saying rookies should be allowed to make mistakes and that instead of giving them "sloppy habits", it helps with their development if they don't have to look over their shoulder after every missed shot, fumbled drive and telegraphed pass. The article was featuring Westbrook as example who was sloppy as hell during his rookie season apparently.

I'm not saying Knox is in the same league (although I secretely dream he is), but I agree with that philosophy. If you have a rookie that you wish to build your future upon, you need to give him some slack so that 1) he learns what works and what doesn't on a NBA floor and 2) you learn what you really have in your hands. Now, again, I'm not saying Knox should fire every shot on the team and only play iso, but I want him to have the ball in his hands more often than not in this season that should lead us to a good lottery pick. Let's see what he does with it.
Rusty La Rue

NewlyKnicked wrote:I get that, but to me shot efficiency is one of the things that come with experience
I feel a rookie like Knox whose scoring will be greatly needed for us in the future should be allowed to shoot without the fear how getting benched if it's a bad decision
I do believe we agree... Knox should take all the good shots he can get his hands on ;) even if he misses all of them no need to bench him... But after two maybe three bads shots then he should sit like everyone else... What I mean is as long as his shots comes in the flow of game... feel free to shoot kid... But no fadeaway 3s with a hand in his face and 10 sec remaining on the shot clock :hammer:
taowave

Agreed..Fire away,but they should be good shots within the offense..