Welcome to the Knicks Kevin Knox!!!

Discuss New York Knicks news, current events, players, and history.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv, cru77jones

Re: Welcome to the Knicks Kevin Knox!!!

Postby Don Che » August 3, 2018, 12:43 pm

Yeh its def close.
Don Che

Postby H20Knick » August 3, 2018, 12:51 pm

taowave wrote:
Frank vs Ball... Slight edge to Ball

what do you mean by "slight" lol. defensively they're a tie and in terms of running an offense, it's not really close

Lonzo Ball’s lockdown defense saved his rookie season

Lonzo Ball was one of the best defensive guards in the NBA this season and we need to talk about it.
By Christian Rivas@RadRivas Apr 17, 2018, 7:00am PDT

The 2018 NBA playoffs tipped off on Saturday and once again, the Los Angeles Lakers will be watching all of the action from home. It’s been five years since the Lakers last playoff appearance and they haven’t come close since. Not until this year, at least.

The Lakers finished the season with 35 wins, good enough for the No. 11 seed in the Western Conference, the highest they’ve finished since their last postseason appearance in 2013. However, their record, while impressive given the roster makeup, doesn’t reflect how good they were this season, especially on the defensive end.

Coming into the season, the Lakers were ranked dead last in defensive rating (110.6) by almost every metric including opponent field goal percentage (48.3), opponent fast break points (16.2) and team percentage point differential (2.2), per stats.nba.com. This season, they finished in the top half of the league in defensive rating (105.6) despite averaging a league-high opponent points in the paint (49) and allowing the fourth most opponent second-chance points (13.5).

While their rapid defensive improvement can and should be partially attributed to some of their acquisitions in the offseason like Kentavious Caldwell-Pope and Brook Lopez, no one deserves more credit for the leaps Los Angeles made defensively than Lonzo Ball.

Using ESPN’s defensive real plus-minus, Ball finished the season ranked No. 3 overall among point guards with a positive score of plus-2.25, ahead of acclaimed defensive stalwarts like Jrue Holiday, Ricky Rubio and Marcus Smart. Granted, Ball played in only 52 games this season, but when he was on the floor he showed all the ways he could impact a game on the defensive end.

Ball finished his rookie season with averages of 10.2 points, 6.9 rebounds, 7.2 assists and 1.7 steals per game. According to basketball-reference.com, only three rookies in NBA history have averaged at least 5 assists, 5 defensive rebounds, and 1.5 steals per game: Ball, Ben Simmons and Magic Johnson.

While Ball and Simmons are just getting their NBA careers started, they could do worse than being historically tied to arguably the greatest point guard to ever lace them up.

However, unlike Ball and Simmons, Ball was not physically imposing his rookie season. Even though he has nice length for the point guard position (6-6 with a 6-9 wingspan), no one was going to struggle to push through Ball’s 190-lb. frame and he found that out right away.

So instead of trying to bang bodies with guys that were much more physically mature than him at this stage of his career, Ball used every inch of his lanky frame to his advantage and made life hard on opposing guards, bigs, and sometimes both.

Ball’s 43 blocks in less than 60 games are the most blocks by any rookie during that span since Vince Carter in 1999, per basketball-reference.com. Carter went on to become one of two guards in NBA history to average 1.5 blocks per game in the regular season. The other was Michael Jordan.

Ball’s display of defensive prowess raises both his floor and his ceiling exponentially. While he figures out how to get his shot to fall with some consistency, he can still affect the game on both ends of the floor, something few players can do with success. Had he not been as dominant as he was on the defensive end, his shortcomings on offense would have been magnified to the thousandth degree.

Ball will hope to show more on the more glamorous end of the floor next season and if his jump shot starts to fall on a regular basis, expect him to be in the conversation for one of the best two-way guards in the NBA sooner rather than later.
Fort Knox. Hard Knox. Knock Knox. It doesn't matter. Hall of Fame in 20.

2018 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION
2015 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION
H20Knick

Postby Don Che » August 3, 2018, 1:41 pm

Lonzo's dad is the worst...as a player he's the man. If we could trade for Lonzo I'd do it in a millasecond....and hope Oakley keeps Lavar in chekc
Don Che

Postby shakespeare » August 3, 2018, 3:26 pm

Tao threw me for a loop when she said Ball and Ntili are close.

That’s like saying there isn’t much of a difference between Jason Kidd and Patrick Beverley.

And I like Patrick Beverley’s game.
The Porzingis blessing is real.
#TeamTank
shakespeare
Writer

Postby taowave » August 3, 2018, 3:57 pm

I was being sarcastic on behalf of the French Pastry lovers

And I see what you did :hmm:
shakespeare wrote:Tao threw me for a loop when she said Ball and Ntili are close.

That’s like saying there isn’t much of a difference between Jason Kidd and Patrick Beverley.

And I like Patrick Beverley’s game.
taowave

Postby Don Che » August 3, 2018, 9:27 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kS70OlPqn-Y

interesting video on Knox the summer going into KT.

feeds more into the idea that he's a scorer/rebounder type.

insane that Marbury was the last scoring playmaker we had.
Don Che

Postby big_j_NY » August 3, 2018, 11:00 pm

Don Che wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kS70OlPqn-Y

interesting video on Knox the summer going into KT.

feeds more into the idea that he's a scorer/rebounder type.

insane that Marbury was the last scoring playmaker we had.

Essentially this is why we need to hope that Knox makes bigger improvements on the defensive end more b/c his playing style on offense pretty much is already set, but only needs some refinements here and there.

And to correct yourself, Marbury was the last ELITE scoring playmaker that the Knicks had. We've had scoring playmakers since Marbury (overrated fat-ass Felton, often injured Chauncey Billups for half a season, and the 15-minutes of fame of Linsanity), just not at the elite-tier that Marbury was.
#EmbraceTheTank2019

#InPorzingisWeTrust

Hassan Whiteside wrote:I'm just tryin...tryin 2 really get my NBA 2K rating up
big_j_NY

Postby nazrmohamed » August 4, 2018, 7:40 am

I can see huge improvements being made to Knox game. Obviously defense is one of them but let's not assume his offense can't use work either. He takes a lot of midrange shots, he could work even more on his 3pters. That's not to say he can't shoot the long ball now but just refining that. But the biggest opportunity I see is with his handle, being able to create his own offense a bit and if you're bread and butter is midrange then I'm gonna want to see him add a couple post moves, quick ones. I heard ALOT of Tatum comparisons but go watch Tatum, type in Tatum midrange and you'll see a slew of moves compatible to Carmelo. Now, some may read that and say "WTF, I don't want him specializing in the same.....". The issue with Melo wasn't skills it was behaviors and then ALOT of times the speed at which he performed those moves, allowing defenses to get set. It was more, just because you can doesn't mean you should but back on point they are still moves that Knox can master and utilize wisely within a team concept in the half court. SL was fun but ALOT of his scores came off the break, off good 3/4 court basketball. I wanna see what he can do in the half court
PHISHER
nazrmohamed

Postby Don Che » August 4, 2018, 11:15 am

saying Felton was a scoring playmaker is a very loose term. So i guess your right...Elite.

my ideal scenerio is getting someone at the 2/3/4 spot that can go 20/7/7 type guy...yes I know he'd be great but to win it all...you need to be great.

Knox is a scorer and hopeuflly a rebounder...he's the "Shawn Marion" of this team, athletic/fast break finisher...KP is the Amare, pick and roll or pop, finishing all over the place or in the iso area...and no i dont mean we are that suns team at all....but what I mean is..we need that steve nash we need the guy thats running the pick and roll not the one finishing it.

Knox can help in this category and end up being a secondary ball handler but we need the guy that can do that on a high volume of possessions.

thats what makes the Warriors impossible....Curry/KD/Klay can create plays and finish them. We need 2 guys that can do that...and KP in time...will have to get his assists numbers to 3-5 if he ever wants to win it all as a top player.
Don Che

Postby shakespeare » August 4, 2018, 11:26 am

Tao. That’s a typo, good sir. I usually sport a lot of them while typing on a phone. Either I’m adding extra letters or missing a letter or two, altogether.
#TeamTank
shakespeare
Writer

Postby shakespeare » August 4, 2018, 11:30 am

nazrmohamed wrote: I heard ALOT of Tatum comparisons but go watch Tatum, type in Tatum midrange and you'll see a slew of moves compatible to Carmelo.

Agreed. Carmelo had offensive moves for days. He’s one of the few players I’ve witnessed since becoming a hoops fan that can score all over the court in multiple ways. Like you said, it wasn’t the juggernaut scoring that turned me off regarding Melo, it was that other stuff.

I personally don’t see Knox’s offensive skills evolving as quickly as Tatum, but who knows?
#TeamTank
shakespeare
Writer

Postby Don Che » August 4, 2018, 12:10 pm

the biggest thing Tatum did was become a high level 3 point shooter from his freshman to his rookie year.

Knox has good form on his shot...good release point...and seems to have a good work ethic.

if he can shooting over 36% from 3..its a wrap since we all knows hes getting a high volume of shots up
Don Che

Postby shakespeare » September 3, 2018, 11:05 am

#TeamTank
shakespeare
Writer

Postby shakespeare » September 3, 2018, 11:20 am

shakespeare wrote:Knox, putting in work:

https://mobile.twitter.com/TommyBeer/st ... 7708740609

I could be wrong, but I don’t believe New York wasted this draft pick.
#TeamTank
shakespeare
Writer

Postby Don Che » September 4, 2018, 10:45 am

form looks better...but his issues for me are all 5x5 based but either way I'm happy with his grind.
Don Che

Postby ISIAH_THOMAS » September 4, 2018, 1:14 pm

https://youtu.be/g78xyn2peT8 knox was on first Take this morning with stephen A
TAKE THAT FOR DATA
ISIAH_THOMAS

Postby shakespeare » September 4, 2018, 3:01 pm

Loved the interview, not to mention how Smith asked all the right questions in order to give viewers a really good look at Knox’s mentality. Not sure if Knox’s motor will improve [I recall this being a concern of Don Che’s before thwas draft], maybe it will or maybe it won’t. BUT I gotta say: I feel really good about this draft pick. He’s a hooper, which is what New York needs.

Thanks for posting.
#TeamTank
shakespeare
Writer

Postby shakespeare » September 4, 2018, 3:03 pm

Don Che wrote:I'm happy with his grind.

Same here, he has a chance to be a key ingredient in Fizdale’s sauce.

Another Kristaps Porzingis, another Kevin Knox, and Knicks will be eating good for years to come.
#TeamTank
shakespeare
Writer

Postby Don Che » September 4, 2018, 3:15 pm

motor/defense/passing are the main things im worried about.

If he can do that at a higher level than I expect...he can be special...if he's the scorer i think he is he can be pretty good...if hes the scorer he showed he was in college and doesnt evolve then he's Tim Thomas.

I'm happy to figure it out though and I think the fact that he has no choice but to be a scoring threat on this team makes me a bit more confident. All lottery picks havent talent but not all lottery picks are given shots/PT and allowed to make mistakes.

the SAS interview was ite minus that stupid "KP gotta be healthy/you have to be good to get FA's".....and its not a stupid question but more an obvious reason as to why the Knicks goal of FA being next year is just a flawed concept...too many if's have to be answered. too many stars have to align for this to work out in our favor a year in advance.

I'd rather have KP/Knox...and Zion/Barret/Grimes/Raddish over any FA next year...and Kyrie just wants NY...same way Melo did...if he wants to be here it wont be because of winning...he'd be leaving a team that was a win away from the finals...WITHOUT HIM AND ANOTHER ALL STAR. If Kyrie is about winning..hes staying where he is. If he leaves hes not about living but about lifestyle which is the OPPOSITE type of player i want here...Idc how good he is unless its prime Lebron/KD dont even waste my time.

I'm not gonna force wins to "persuade" Kyrie....kid is already sold. Be horrible(unless Knox is somehow special as i mentioned prior) draft Zion and let Kyrie do what he wants. I'll go to war with KP/Zion/Knox/Tim/Frank gladly the year after and guess what....with the extra year of contracts off the books...we can THEN sign a legit guard if Frank still sucks or a wing if Tim is still Tim.

sorry i got ahead of myself but yeh the mindset of this "next year is the year" is the most Knicks thing we can do...you do the rebuild to 70% and rush it for a guy that couldnt sniff the playoffs when he was the best player on a team.

Run the rebuild right...if a player wants to roll up anyway....decide what to do at that point. Till then...build cheap and wisely and nothing is cheaper with higher upside than studs on rookie contracts.
Don Che

Postby NewlyKnicked » September 5, 2018, 3:00 am

Don't you think Peyy/Mills said "we'll be players in next offseason, not this one" because they knew NY fans would rip them apart if they mentioned anything further in the future? I think offseason 2020 feels like an eternity from now for most NY fans. The Process will never take place here
2017 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
NewlyKnicked

PreviousNext

Return to New York Knicks