And the Winner is David Fizdale..(Press Conference on PG.7)

Discuss New York Knicks news, current events, players, and history.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv

ISIAH_THOMAS
Likes given: 52

Breaking: David Fizdale has agreed to a deal to become the New York Knicks head coach, per @wojespn

4 yr Deal
Last edited by ISIAH_THOMAS on May 8th, 2018, 12:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Fxck Adam Silver
Mr3037
Likes given: 0

Im good with that move. Younger coach that has time to grow with the team.
Oh & his wife is a bonus
NYK Fan since 92
NYKFP Fan since 04

28 years & counting...Bleeding Orange & Blue
ISIAH_THOMAS

Fxck Adam Silver
thewatcher
Likes given: 2681

cool :thumbsup:
n8 the gr8 wrote:
The first rule of NYKFP is you don't talk about NYKFP.
Minkaveli
Likes given: 175

Solid hire. Happy with the decision. Fits the long term mold of the team. Defense, defense, defense.
No longer sick and tired that Kurt wasn't hired.
ISIAH_THOMAS

MikeAScotto
David Fizdale passed on a 4-year offer from the Phoenix Suns before eventually accepting a 4-year offer from the New York Knicks to become head coach, league sources told The Athletic.
Fxck Adam Silver
cragganmor
Likes given: 93

Mills & Perry did good. On to the draft!
nazrmohamed
Likes given: 251

Fizzdale obviously wasn't my choice but I can't complain. Would make my day though if Woodson was hired as his assistant.
taowave
Likes given: 844

Red,to show you whst true Sportsmsnship is,I will congratulate you on your African American hiring theory!!!!

I know you were pulling for Action Jaxon,but you defied the odds and am paying my respect..

Well done

You are on the scoreboard,and are only trailing trailing 2-1.. :)
ISIAH_THOMAS

Offense he ran in Memphis
Fxck Adam Silver
Isa Soulstar
Likes given: 2

Can anyone actually speak to his player development? Because I got nothing.
oOoO...VOTE REPUBLICAN...OoOo
Irv
Administrator
Likes given: 184

Isa Soulstar wrote:Can anyone actually speak to his player development? Because I got nothing.
https://bealestreetbears.com/2017/05/30 ... nt-skills/

Take that for data.
taowave

I'll give him the benefit of doubt,but in his one full year in Memphis he went 43 -39..Joerger the previous coach went 42-40...

The following year he went 7-12 and was fired...

On paper,it's really hard to say he has the best coaching resume out there
Starbury3

Nice read thanks for the share :clap:

Love the hire. Fiz fitz - timeline, culture, passion, player development, roots, relatable and respected. You can already tell with the players tweets that have followed. I'm on board! :thumbsup:

#FizFitz #FizDad

Last edited by Starbury3 on May 3rd, 2018, 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nazrmohamed
Likes given: 251

Whatever. I still don't really get what we are looking for in a coach or how anyone can do it with the expectation of losing. Knicks fire coaches for being the same as the person they last fired.

Under Hornicek we developed players as well. Sure he got into it with KP but remember, KP skipped his exit interview because Hornicek told him to stop being a little bitch and what happened? Next year he didn't look like a little bitch anymore....until he got hurt. That's development.

Frank Ntilikina came in pretty solid in terms of fundamentals but lacked confidence. He got plenty of minutes for those who need to equate development with minutes and guess what? Had his best games later in the season. That's development.

Trey Burke was out of the league, went to our D-league and was called up. Thats not Horniceks doing but guess what? Hornicek saw his value and played him up until he was a defacto starter and plenty of fans still think he could start. That's development

Troy Williams came up and was played by Hornicek. Became a nice part of our crew. That's development.

So my point is we have been developing players. What y'all didn't like was him playing vets......at all. Me neither. But let's remember, there was a large contingent of Knicks fans adamantly against tanking and thinking the future was now. I know, I spent all season arguing with you. So if that was you, you sound two faced now complaining about development. That's my job, that's H2Os job. See, we thought this was a tanking roster from day 1. I'm pissed that we won't be drafting Deandre Ayton right now for fucksakes.

So what's my point? Am I standing behind Hornicek, not supporting Fizdale. Neither. I support the idea that this team needs to be drafting top 5 picks and that the best coach for the Knicks was one that was gonna be down with that program. I don't know Fizzdale tbh, but to not have a unified view on what we didn't like about Hornicek scares me. It tells us more about ourselves than Hornicek. Was he fired cuz he won too much, or didn't win enough cuz to me when the goal was winning he did just that, and when the goal was losing he did a pretty good job at that. Why not keep him and dictate to him what the goal is?

Now we get Fizzdale, who could be anybody (not picking on him) and what's the goal now?. How do we define success. Again, I know what I want to do.....I want a top 5 pick. So how does one prove themselves against that underlying agenda? Its a quagmire. And that's why my coaching search would've happened the year we drafted a top 5 player. A star of KPs magnitude. THAT'S when I'd be looking for my Mark Jackson's, Fizzdale and all these candidates. Cuz I'll be a hypocrite when I think the next coach sucks cuz the team is worse than this year's team, and I'd be a hypocrite when I'm angry at the next coach for actually winning, which would have to involve him playing the same vets Hornicek felt he needed to play over rooks. It's a can't win situation. And that's why I would've just kept Hornicek all along.
taowave

I am certainly an anti tanker,but I am 1000 percent with you that this half assed 9 th pick shit is most likely an exercise in futility...

I'm not sure what this hire really does for us or what direction we are heading...

Is t humanly possible to lose Gregonroe and Mike B to Milwaukee???
Red

nazrmohamed wrote:Whatever. I still don't really get what we are looking for in a coach or how anyone can do it with the expectation of losing. Knicks fire coaches for being the same as the person they last fired.

Under Hornicek we developed players as well. Sure he got into it with KP but remember, KP skipped his exit interview because Hornicek told him to stop being a little bitch and what happened? Next year he didn't look like a little bitch anymore....until he got hurt. That's development.

Frank Ntilikina came in pretty solid in terms of fundamentals but lacked confidence. He got plenty of minutes for those who need to equate development with minutes and guess what? Had his best games later in the season. That's development.

Trey Burke was out of the league, went to our D-league and was called up. Thats not Horniceks doing but guess what? Hornicek saw his value and played him up until he was a defacto starter and plenty of fans still think he could start. That's development

Troy Williams came up and was played by Hornicek. Became a nice part of our crew. That's development.

So my point is we have been developing players. What y'all didn't like was him playing vets......at all. Me neither. But let's remember, there was a large contingent of Knicks fans adamantly against tanking and thinking the future was now. I know, I spent all season arguing with you. So if that was you, you sound two faced now complaining about development. That's my job, that's H2Os job. See, we thought this was a tanking roster from day 1. I'm pissed that we won't be drafting Deandre Ayton right now for fucksakes.

So what's my point? Am I standing behind Hornicek, not supporting Fizdale. Neither. I support the idea that this team needs to be drafting top 5 picks and that the best coach for the Knicks was one that was gonna be down with that program. I don't know Fizzdale tbh, but to not have a unified view on what we didn't like about Hornicek scares me. It tells us more about ourselves than Hornicek. Was he fired cuz he won too much, or didn't win enough cuz to me when the goal was winning he did just that, and when the goal was losing he did a pretty good job at that. Why not keep him and dictate to him what the goal is?

Now we get Fizzdale, who could be anybody (not picking on him) and what's the goal now?. How do we define success. Again, I know what I want to do.....I want a top 5 pick. So how does one prove themselves against that underlying agenda? Its a quagmire. And that's why my coaching search would've happened the year we drafted a top 5 player. A star of KPs magnitude. THAT'S when I'd be looking for my Mark Jackson's, Fizzdale and all these candidates. Cuz I'll be a hypocrite when I think the next coach sucks cuz the team is worse than this year's team, and I'd be a hypocrite when I'm angry at the next coach for actually winning, which would have to involve him playing the same vets Hornicek felt he needed to play over rooks. It's a can't win situation. And that's why I would've just kept Hornicek all along.
There's a few things: we did have that new coach who would've been allowed to lose in order to facilitate the "process" of drafting high but unfortunately he came with drama and PJ pulled the plug. I don't think we have to assume specific issues with Hornacek did it, and chalk it up to the new FO wanting to bring in their guy(s); something I think was expected.

But if you want to decide on what we should be looking for I think the answer is obvious looking back.
A) Free agent influence would be nice
B) Some pull to get believers & players on the cheap (if there is such a thing)
C) If we're talking development, again the few guys drafted by someone else are okay so we can't assume there would be something different except it's deeper.. a new coach values new things; may see the game different and thus emphasize other things. Have to assume he wouldn't let those 2 guards get passed us in drafting. :?

In short I don't think a new hire necessarily means the old coach is a bum, especially when it's a new regime.
But obviously we're expecting a solid offensive system and what we want is an uptick in the major categories both for players and team. And yeah that means we ain't even thinking Bout tanking at this point. Even Fizdale knows a chance to make the playoffs his 1st year with a young team is better than that unknown at this point, so if you were hoping for that..
taowave wrote:Red,to show you whst true Sportsmsnship is,I will congratulate you on your African American hiring theory!!!!

I know you were pulling for Action Jaxon,but you defied the odds and am paying my respect..

Well done

You are on the scoreboard,and are only trailing trailing 2-1.. :)
:drunk: I'll take it, thanks. But if he hires switching slippage Woody I'll be less excited.
The Mecca of Mess
taowave

Red,you like the hire(minus Woody)??
Don Che
Likes given: 9

You guys are over thinking it
Red

I'm good with it.
The Knicks did the right thing Thursday. They hired the right man. That doesn’t fix everything. It doesn’t guarantee anything. But hiring David Fizdale is a step in the right direction, a big step. Fizdale alone doesn’t make them champions or even winners. But it puts them on the right path, points them in the right direction. You start with that.-nypost
How many coaches has KP had?
The Mecca of Mess