NBA Draft Poll: Assuming we stay in the 7/8 range when the draft comes

Discuss New York Knicks news, current events, players, and history.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv

Pick your current choice

Trae
7%
Mikal
21%
Wendell
No votes
Miles
14%
Sexton
7%
Knox
29%
Lonnie
7%
Porter and his injury issues
14%

Total votes: 14
Rusty La Rue
Likes given: 788

NewlyKnicked wrote:Still 9 days to wait? Damn this final was over fast
Good the World Cup starts tomorrow so I will have something other to think about than the draft...
2023 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
2020 Co-NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
"Everybody gets excited about youth except the coach, because he knows youth means mistakes, mistakes mean losses, losses means you're fired."
NewlyKnicked
Likes given: 158

True, true.
I hope you win your two first games so that it doesn't end for you on the 26th ;)
2017 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
2021 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
Rusty La Rue

NewlyKnicked wrote:True, true.
I hope you win your two first games so that it doesn't end for you on the 26th ;)
We have beaten you before at the World Cup so we can do it again;) Jokes aside... that is our plan we do not need to have to win our final game against France :blink:

I guess if we both make it out of the group we cannot meet again before the final :drunk:
"Everybody gets excited about youth except the coach, because he knows youth means mistakes, mistakes mean losses, losses means you're fired."
cragganmor
Likes given: 93

Wow, Mike Schmitz of DX with a full throated endorsement of Knox over both Bridges:

He gets to eval a lot of talent, excellent eye.
taowave
Likes given: 817

Wally Szerb says we need a PG first and foremost..
Rusty La Rue

taowave wrote:Wally Szerb says we need a PG first and foremost..
Wally is confused :?
taowave

Wally likes Mikal as well...
You can't blame him for his doubts on Mudiay and Frank..
MSG Network’s Wally Szczerbiak likes both Villanova’s Mikal Bridges and Michigan State’s Miles Bridges — but believes the Knicks’ focus in the June 21 draft should be on their need for a top-line point guard.

Szczerbiak, who doubles as a CBS college basketball analyst, told The Post he would take point guard studs Trae Young or Collin Sexton at No. 9, if on the board, over either of the Bridges, who are both small forwards.

“The point guard position in a Knicks uniform has to be solidified,” Szczerbiak said. “It’s been too long. That’s been the big-time need for this franchise. Unless you have a game plan to get Kyrie [Irving] and can solidify it that way, I think the point guard position is the most important position.”

That’s hardly a vote of confidence for the young Knicks trio of Frank Ntilikina, Trey Burke and Emmanuel Mudiay.

“They have a lot of really good point guards, but do they have an impact point guard in the NBA?” Szczerbiak said. “That’s the question. The answer to me is, it doesn’t look like it.”

Szczerbiak, part of next week’s MSG Network “Rookie Week” draft shows, thinks the Knicks can’t go wrong with Mikal Bridges — but sees too much to like in Young (Oklahoma) and Sexton (Alabama).

“If you have Young and Sexton available at 9, I think they’re surefire NBA starters at point guard, so you might have to go that direction,” Szczerbiak said.

A couple of recent mock drafts even have Sexton going ahead of Young, with the Oklahoma point guard falling to the Knicks, though that’s not the consensus.

“The guy is a gift with the ball in his hands — he’s got an incredible handle, incredible vision,” Szczerbiak said of Young.

The Knicks have worked out both. Sources indicate the Knicks prefer Young, whom some label the next Stephen Curry. Young’s sloppy play late — and Oklahoma’s 2-9 close — caused his draft stock to fall. Szczerbiak said stricter coaching will benefit him.

“I’ve never seen a guy in college have the free rein he got from [coach] Lon Kruger to do whatever he wanted out there,’’ Szczerbiak said. “Kruger just let him play with no repercussions to any bad decisions he made — turnovers, bad shots, not playing good defense.
“It was working at the beginning of the year – they were top 10. Once they hit the Big 12 schedule, teams brought in a game plan for him. That’s where they hit their slide. But if he wasn’t on the team, they may not have won a game in the Big 12. That’s how good he is.”

Orlando (6) and Cleveland (8) also have point guard needs.

“[Trae] has a ton of talent,’’ Szczerbiak said. “I’m sure the Knicks and other teams are trying to figure out if this guy is Curry or Jimmer Fredette. I lean more toward Curry – not as good, because he’s not as big. He’s 6-1 and has got to get stronger. But there were the same questions about Curry coming in.”

Szczerbiak’s belief that Sexton is a major upgrade to the current cast may go against Knicks thinking. Knicks president Steve Mills is on the fence because Sexton is a mediocre outside shooter and may not complement Ntilikina as well as Young would.

“I really like Collin,’’ Szczerbiak said. “If that guy’s available, he got a bright future in the NBA. The physical gifts he has — explosive, powerful, strong, young. He’s capable, but got to get better shooting. That guy has Russell Westbrook and Damian Lillard explosiveness. When you look at the strength of his calves, he looks physically ready to compete now at the NBA level.’’

After seeing loads of Burke, Mudiay and Ntilikina, Szczerbiak isn’t convinced.

“Burke was phenomenal, but is he an NBA starter?’’ he said. “I don’t know. I think he’s a very, very capable, very good backup.

“Does Mudiay look like a starter in the NBA? From the sample size we’ve seen in Denver and in New York, when he was handed the keys to the team, it doesn’t look like he is. Ntilikina? Is he a 2 or 1? How much growth is he going to make moving forward? It’s a big question mark. … What I saw was Trey was the most capable hands down. The other guys have potential to grow, but until I see that on the NBA floor, I can’t trust them.”
Szczerbiak trusts Villanova’s Bridges more than Michigan State’s Bridges. He’s not “wowed’’ by Duke center Wendell Carter as a fit alongside Kristaps Porzingis, and would have to see the medical records of Michael Porter Jr. (back) before declaring he’s the guy at 9.

“[Mikal] has two rings, he shoots 40-45 percent from 3,’’ Szczerbiak said. “You pair him with Tim Hardaway Jr., you solidify your wing positions right away. That guy is going to be a great defender with his wingspan — a 3-and-D guy to put alongside Timmy that will take a lot of pressure off Tim to guard the LeBrons [and Paul] Georges. I’m very high on him.’’

But not as high as he is on Young/Sexton.
Rusty La Rue

taowave wrote:Wally likes Mikal as well...
You can't blame him for his doubts on Mudiay and Frank..
Of course he can have doubts... but I also see several issues with both Trae and Sexton... so I would rather draft players for positions where we have no young prospects... especially when the talent level is so close...
nazrmohamed
Likes given: 246

Wally watches ALOT of games just like the rest of us and has seen a lot. If I'm gonna be honest with myself the only reason I don't want a PG is to protect Frank's status and feel that moving him to SG if a precursor to eventually seeing him traded. But it's not just Wally. Clyde himself has voiced his frustrations with Frank and it's not like anyone can sit here and talk about Frank like he's a sure thing at PG.

I've also explained in other posts how the sheer number of pgs we have shouldn't matter because right off the top of my head 2 I have no faith in. I wouldn't give up on Frank at such a young age but who knows, maybe he thrives at the 2. It's so early that one could argue he could continue to develop there and be a very solid player. For me it's about who that PG is. I feel like the Knicks check off boxes to appease critics and then don't build upon it. So example they talk defense, draft Frank. Box checked, now we can go get a defenseless scorer at PG....And I'd feel the same way if they kept him at PG and did that at SG.

Now preferably yes, I want a wing but if you are gonna get a PG please, grab Sexton. The kid is a warrior. He plays the game downhill, is strong for his size and plays defense. Idk if he's a great passer but with Frank at SG you're essentially running a 2 PG lineup anyway. They'll share the load.
taowave

Unless Mudiay shows some signs of life,he doesn't enter the PG discussion in my mind.I love Burke,but don't know if he's a starter..

Frank is too young to judge,but I did not love his lack of aggression..He's not an assassin...at least not yet..

The only guy I don't want is Carter
thewatcher
Likes given: 2607

There's so much confusion about who to pick...now Knox back in the equation?? Mudiay won't help us move up, but if it were offered I'd think about trading him plus our pick for 12 and 13.
n8 the gr8 wrote:
The first rule of NYKFP is you don't talk about NYKFP.
Muzhik1
Likes given: 0

This draft seems to be packed with talent. If Michael Porter Jr drops to 9, they have to take him.

Kevin Knox is another excellent choice, simply because this is a rebuilding team. He is young player, who can create offense. His defense will improve. He is 3 years younger than Mikal. Since this is rebuilding team we can afford to wait for these guys to develop. By the time Mikal is done with his rookie contract, he will be 26. It's still young, but Knox will be 23. While 26 is still young Knox has a lot more time to add more skills to his game. Now if we were a playoff team, then Mikal would have been a better choice, but this is a developing team. Porter and Knox are two of the best choices out there.
Muzhik1

thewatcher wrote:There's so much confusion about who to pick...now Knox back in the equation?? Mudiay won't help us move up, but if it were offered I'd think about trading him plus our pick for 12 and 13.
I don't think Mudiay has that much value, Clippers would want Frank instead.

Now if we are talking about second round, it might be possible to package Mudiay and the 36th pick to move up a few spots in the second round.
taowave

Clips would really have to LOVE the player available at 9 to make that trade...

Cant see it happening..You probably have a better chance of finding a stud with the 12th and 13th pick than you do with the 9th..
Red

nazrmohamed wrote:Wally watches ALOT of games just like the rest of us and has seen a lot. If I'm gonna be honest with myself the only reason I don't want a PG is to protect Frank's status and feel that moving him to SG if a precursor to eventually seeing him traded. But it's not just Wally. Clyde himself has voiced his frustrations with Frank and it's not like anyone can sit here and talk about Frank like he's a sure thing at PG.

I've also explained in other posts how the sheer number of pgs we have shouldn't matter because right off the top of my head 2 I have no faith in. I wouldn't give up on Frank at such a young age but who knows, maybe he thrives at the 2. It's so early that one could argue he could continue to develop there and be a very solid player. For me it's about who that PG is. I feel like the Knicks check off boxes to appease critics and then don't build upon it. So example they talk defense, draft Frank. Box checked, now we can go get a defenseless scorer at PG....And I'd feel the same way if they kept him at PG and did that at SG.

Now preferably yes, I want a wing but if you are gonna get a PG please, grab Sexton. The kid is a warrior. He plays the game downhill, is strong for his size and plays defense. Idk if he's a great passer but with Frank at SG you're essentially running a 2 PG lineup anyway. They'll share the load.
With THJ at SG.. with the fact that Nitti had issues scoring and being agressive and is a much better defender than shooter by comparison...

Why are we still talking about Nitti at SG? :?

The positionless basketball.. the "we have guards" not specifically point, lead, or shooting- just guards statement from Fiz.. I get it. but this talk of converting a 19 yr old PG to a shooter when he hasn't shown the penchant or explosiveness nor ability to create his own shot is just ridiculous. Its wishful thinking at best that lacks good reasoning imo. (considering our roster and Nitti's rookie year) PG's are what this nba is about. I think it's best to have our best pg defender defending pg's. Yeah there's some inevitable switching but out the gate Nitti should play and guard PG's because they have killed us with penetration in the past.

Can we please stop? :? Nitti is either our starter or bench point guard until further notice. With the exception of spot minutes in altered lineups, Frank at sg has no real basis.
The Mecca of Mess
spree#8
Likes given: 534

Lots of new videos by the draftexpress guys: http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2371 ... aftexpress

And the always interesting read about how players' games might translate into the NBA: http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2377 ... rojections
#knickstape
taowave

Red,I completely agree with you in theory,and I hope you are right (I can live with Burke at the 1)but I get the sneaking suspicion that management doesn't see it our way.

Why take a flier on Mudiay?

If he lives up to his earlier billing,doesn't that put Frank in an "awkward position"?

THJ should be our starting 2..

It is wierd to have Frank groomed for the 2 when he can't shoot or jump...

I wouldn't be surprised if we wind up with Sexton

Red wrote:
With THJ at SG.. with the fact that Nitti had issues scoring and being agressive and is a much better defender than shooter by comparison...

Why are we still talking about Nitti at SG? :?

The positionless basketball.. the "we have guards" not specifically point, lead, or shooting- just guards statement from Fiz.. I get it. but this talk of converting a 19 yr old PG to a shooter when he hasn't shown the penchant or explosiveness nor ability to create his own shot is just ridiculous. Its wishful thinking at best that lacks good reasoning imo. (considering our roster and Nitti's rookie year) PG's are what this nba is about. I think it's best to have our best pg defender defending pg's. Yeah there's some inevitable switching but out the gate Nitti should play and guard PG's because they have killed us with penetration in the past.

Can we please stop? :? Nitti is either our starter or bench point guard until further notice. With the exception of spot minutes in altered lineups, Frank at sg has no real basis.
cragganmor
Likes given: 93

Mudiay had a 2 month audition that was a thud. I sure hope he's been working hard to improve finishing at the rim, getting stronger.
taowave

Definitely a dud,and worth a second rounder.

Curious to see how serious he takes his career
cragganmor wrote:Mudiay had a 2 month audition that was a thud. I sure hope he's been working hard to improve finishing at the rim, getting stronger.
nazrmohamed
Likes given: 246

Red, I'd love to stop having the discussion but there are analysts way more connected and saavy than us thinking it might make sense. I was merely stating in what manner I'd prefer it happening.....If it were to happen.

And anyway, it's not crazy. The guy showed up 6'6 putting him taller than 50% of SGs in the league. Pointing out that he needs to guard elite SGs is obvious. He needs to guard elite Pgs, elite SGs, even elite SFs if that's what we need him to do. Eric Snow guarded whoever Iverson couldn't. Patrick Beverly guarded whoever Harden wouldn't. If anything it's offense that matters in this case because his defense is a constant. Now, with that said again, I hope Mikal Bridges falls to us so I don't have to talk about it, if not I'm good with Walker or Miles as well. I'm just saying that Wally isn't out of his mind for saying it when it's Perry who's the one entertaining Kemba Walker, Kyrie, and every PG who has even the remote chance of playing for us. Either everyone has a lack of faith in ANY of our Pgs or not to sound negative they have faith that Ntilikina would make a good SG, off guard, combo guard or however you wanna classify it

Lastly, we drafted him coming off a season where he was playing off guard in France so let's stop acting like it's something foriegn to him.
Last edited by nazrmohamed on June 13th, 2018, 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.