NBA Draft Poll: Assuming we stay in the 7/8 range when the draft comes

Discuss New York Knicks news, current events, players, and history.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv

Pick your current choice

Trae
7%
Mikal
21%
Wendell
No votes
Miles
14%
Sexton
7%
Knox
29%
Lonnie
7%
Porter and his injury issues
14%

Total votes: 14
Don Che
Likes given: 9

PG as a college player was 6'8/6'9 with guard skills.

i dont see guard skills with MPJr. I see a gallinari/hedo/melo type guy. Which is still dam good but just not a PG type of player.
shakespeare
Likes given: 0

QUESTION: Besides both drafted at 9th in the league if New York ends up taking him, what’s the glaring difference between Trae Young and Trey Burke?
#TeamTank
Don Che

Trae pulls up 35 feet out without remorse...the only thing they have in common is being lite skin lol..their games are totally different.
shakespeare

2nd round targets for the New York Knicks in the ‘18 NBA Draft https://www.forbes.com/sites/tommybeer/ ... draft/amp/
Although I’m guessing there’s no particular order:

1) Grayson Allen
2) Jalen Brunson
3) Moritz Wagner
4) Landry Shamet
5) Jevon Carter
6) Hamidou Diablo
7) Donte DiVincenzo
8) Rodion Kurucs

Others are mentioned, but these names should suffice. BTW, Kurucs is a Latvia native.
#TeamTank
shakespeare

Don Che wrote:their games are totally different.
Thanks for the clarity. I’ve watched Trae, but not much of him to really warrant any honest assessment. I heard a lot of people saying he’s a relatively small score-first point guard and defensive liability, which is no different than how I’ve viewed Burke.

BTW, years from now, when the next generation of light-skinned point guards are studied, there’ll be one man to blame for the half-court pull-up jumper...

Stephon Curry.
#TeamTank
Mike1989

shakespeare wrote:Thanks for the clarity. I’ve watched Trae, but not much of him to really warrant any honest assessment. I heard a lot of people saying he’s a relatively small score-first point guard and defensive liability, which is no different than how I’ve viewed Burke.

BTW, years from now, when the next generation of light-skinned point guards are studied, there’ll be one man to blame for the half-court pull-up jumper...

Stephon Curry.
Burke is also the better athlete. He has far more quickness to utilize when attacking the lane than Trae Young. He also had a 6ft 5 wingspan which is a couple of inches longer than Trae Young, which is not massive but it can make a difference.
nazrmohamed
Likes given: 251

Although Grayson Allen has no potential and I got other prospects listed ahead of him, if that's who we picked I'd still be happier than a pig in shit.

He embodies tough son of a bitch. To me he's what you think you shoulda got with Ron Baker
Don Che

Frazier better be a knick ..thats all im gonna say

if we draft Mikal/Carter/Miles at 9...Frazier compliments all of them.
StevoStarks

Don Che wrote:Frazier better be a knick ..thats all im gonna say

Those are my top choices when we draft. Deciding between the 3 could be tough. I think I'd go Miles then Mikal then Carter should they all be there when we pick.
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
- Dr. Seuss

"Woody was the perfect coach for these mutts."
- taowave

"Is he REALLY injured?? A part of me doesnt believe that he is and I think he's just being a bitch. Bitch-nani."
- rynyk222
Don Che

yeh man if Carter and Mikal are there...on the clock...i legit would have NO IDEA who we'd pick.

while i do think if its Miles/Mikal...Perry may go Miles.

but if all 3 are there...you'd have to have some guts picking miles over BOTH mikal and Carter.

i know some ppl here dont like Carter but his production at his age and his passing/shooting ability...its a tough spot.

i just wonder if he can cover stretch 4's. no way to tell w/o being there at workouts but if he can...it might get interesting.

i want us to go the athletic/defense first rout and Carter isnt necessarily that but his skill set and age..plus just being a smart kid makes me think he can do well here.
StevoStarks

I honestly don't know. I did some more reading and there's a lot of good literature on Carter. And there's a lot of good stuff on Mikal and then there are a lot of people calling Miles the dark horse of the draft.

It's really tough if we have to choose between those 3. They all would have roles right away on this team.
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
- Dr. Seuss

"Woody was the perfect coach for these mutts."
- taowave

"Is he REALLY injured?? A part of me doesnt believe that he is and I think he's just being a bitch. Bitch-nani."
- rynyk222
nazrmohamed

Carter- I've never thought Carter was a bad plate. Never thought he was exciting either but never thought he was bad. And I must admit the reason he gets a bad rap from a Knicks perspective is two fold
- there's this assumption that KP is destined to play C and truth is just cause we keep talking about it doesn't make it reality. Could he be a C, sure but there's really only one player in this draft that makes me wanna put him there and that's Marvin Bagley.
- For me personally if you told me that all you'd accomplish is to find a player who can replicate what Oquinn or Kanter do I dk, I just can't get excited about it. I mean, are you gonna tell me Carter is gonna average a double- double in starters minutes at a 60% clip? Cuz that's what I exist out of our bigs and we think they are valueless. And I get the defense but until he faces nba talent how do I know he is better than Oquinn?
So it's somewhat unfair to him but that's just how I feel. Carter doesn't help me do anything radically different tommorow than we do today. He's a 6'9 C next to KP at PF. Been there done that. And this is coming from somebody who unapologetically likes twin towers.

Mikal- I like him the best. I'm just so enamoured with the idea of the longest backcourt in the nba. I see potential for elite level defense and someone who can space the floor. I personally hate the Otto Porter comparison cuz I think Mikal can develop into a better scorer in the mold of a Rip Hamilton/Reggie Miller. I think 3D is somewhat of an insult because it implies he just floats out there waiting for his PG to penetrate and kick. Not to say he's a shot creator but I think he moves and weaves better and will get his shot off of multiple platforms.

Miles-I love the guy. Been on him since his rookie year. I think he does allot of things well and has shown actual production and sometimes the more you produce the more gets critiqued. He's strong, athletic and glad to hear he trimmed down to commit to SF more. If he gets a better handle it's over.

I think any of these players are good picks and even though I don't sound thrilled about Carter I do get that he's a good talent. Not my preference but I wouldn't boo him on draft night.
NewlyKnicked
Likes given: 162

shakespeare wrote:
Although I’m guessing there’s no particular order:

1) Grayson Allen
2) Jalen Brunson
3) Moritz Wagner
4) Landry Shamet
5) Jevon Carter
6) Hamidou Diablo
7) Donte DiVincenzo
8) Rodion Kurucs

Others are mentioned, but these names should suffice. BTW, Kurucs is a Latvia native.
Lol
2017 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
2020 Co-NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
2021 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
nazrmohamed

Yeah, Diallo is on be of those players where in 5 yrs he'll be out of the league.

Or something clicks and he's the next JR Smith and that's best case scenario.
Don Che

Carter is just a much higher level player than Kyle is at this stage.

i think as a rookie Carter will be what Kyle is right now or better.

but i've said it all along that Carter's ceiling will be depicted on his ability to cover 4's and 3's on switches.

and i agree that Mikal can be a Rip/Reggie type guy.

his sole purpose on the floor is to score and defend...i remember games that Reggie would drop 40 off cuts/fast breaks/3's and 2 dribble pull ups lol it was so annoying to see as a knicks fan.
taowave
Likes given: 844

I HATED Reggie....
Don Che

taowave wrote:I HATED Reggie....
facts....but i'd go to war with a player like that anyday of the week.
cragganmor
Likes given: 93

Don Che wrote:Frazier better be a knick ..thats all im gonna say

yup, we gonna need lots of plus defenders, choke off the opponent's offense for long stretches
nazrmohamed

shakespeare wrote:QUESTION: Besides both drafted at 9th in the league if New York ends up taking him, what’s the glaring difference between Trae Young and Trey Burke?
Endless range. I'm not really excited about drafting Trae, in fact I'm nervous about it. I wanna assume that if he were drafted by us it would be because of what we've seen at the combine and against top tier athletes, not just his season. But one cannot deny his shooting ability and in as league where strength is becoming less paramount and shooting is, he's worth a look. I just don't think he's worth the mystery. We got 3 pgs as is, and I myself have said that if you got 3pgs you have none but why risk it? I think we can get the BPA and still fill a need at 9
Don Che

as much as im scared to draft him here.....if he was taken he would be the best shooter in knicks history..i really wouldnt know what to think lol