Willy requests trade.....

Discuss New York Knicks news, current events, players, and history.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv, cru77jones

Willy requests trade.....

Postby Mr3037 » February 5, 2018, 4:59 pm

RealGM.com:

Willy Hernangomez has requested a trade from the New York Knicks ahead of the deadline.

Hernangomez has fallen out of the Knicks' rotation this season and has played in just 25 of 54 games.

Several teams have expressed interest in Hernangomez.

Hernangomez averaged 8.2 points, seven rebounds, 1.3 assists and 18.4 minutes in 72 games last season and was a member of the All-Rookie first team.

Can say I am surprised......more so surprised it's taken this long.
I really think we've missed a beat by playing KOQ ahead of him.

The only upside to this is if we can offload a player we really dont want along with Willy
NYK Fan since 92
NYKFP Fan since 04

26 years & counting...Bleeding Orange & Blue
Mr3037

Re: Willy requests trade.....

Postby spree#8 » February 5, 2018, 5:15 pm

Ian Begley
ESPN Staff Writer
Representatives for Willy Hernangomez haven't made a formal trade request ahead of the Feb. 8 trade deadline but have stated that they'd like to see Hernangomez in a situation where he can play regularly - whether it's here or in New York, sources say. Hernangomez has said the same thing publicly several times. He has been largely out of the Knicks' rotation this season and has drawn interest from several teams ahead of the Feb. 8 trade deadline. Newsday earlier reported that Hernangomez's representatives have communicated the desire for him to play more.
#knickstape
spree#8

Postby spree#8 » February 5, 2018, 5:19 pm

Doesn't matter either way - whether he has requested a trade or not - because it's clear that you either trade one of the guys in front of him and play him or you would look to find a first-round pick or a wing on a rookie contract in a trade with him anyways. A trade request (if it has happened and the yahoo guy has better sources than Begley) doesn't change your strategy regarding Hernangomez. He can't get more mad (because he probably will play more anyway the rest of the season) and the best market situation for him might be on draft day either moving him alone or in combination with some of our other draft assets.
#knickstape
spree#8

Postby Mr3037 » February 5, 2018, 5:31 pm

If I am Perry & Co I am trading KOQ to ensure Willy gets more PT.

We are talking someone 4yrs younger who was in the All-Rookie 1st team and had better numbers last year than KOQ is having this year.

Pretty sure there is a thread re teams interested in KOQ, so I'd try package him with whatever and KEEP Hernangomez
NYK Fan since 92
NYKFP Fan since 04

Mr3037

Postby Don Che » February 5, 2018, 6:05 pm

Mr3037 wrote:If I am Perry & Co I am trading KOQ to ensure Willy gets more PT.

We are talking someone 4yrs younger who was in the All-Rookie 1st team and had better numbers last year than KOQ is having this year.

Pretty sure there is a thread re teams interested in KOQ, so I'd try package him with whatever and KEEP Hernangomez

If theres a wing player making the same amount Kanter is...id consder it just to see Willy fully have a chance
Don Che

Postby Mr3037 » February 5, 2018, 6:33 pm

Yeah I am still torn on Kanter.....he's averaging 14 & 10 but yeah his D sucks.

Willy could probably put up the same kinda numbers with equal mins though and Kanter's deal is huge.
As long as the wing we get back is the same age as Kanter or younger I'd co-sign that.
NYK Fan since 92
NYKFP Fan since 04

Mr3037

Postby PistolPete » February 5, 2018, 7:05 pm

Mr3037 wrote:Yeah I am still torn on Kanter.....he's averaging 14 & 10 but yeah his D sucks.

Same here. Great on offense and on the boards, but no D. However, he's the only one that could get us a good haul in return.
PistolPete

Postby taowave » February 5, 2018, 7:09 pm

This is soooo stupid....

We all love Kanter,he appears productive....but we SUCK

Would our record be any worse with Willie at the 5?

At this point,I am lost as to what we are trying to accomplish...

And with each passing day,Rebound sounds like a genius
taowave

Postby Mr3037 » February 5, 2018, 7:25 pm

Yeah we do suck tao but that doesnt mean it's Kanter's fault BUT I do agree with the idea of IF Willy had started every game Kanter has & played the same mins I dont think we'd be any worse in the standings.

I think Don has the right idea though of trying to trade Kanter for a YOUNG wing.
If we could end up with a starting 5 of Frank, Timmy, new SF, KP & Willy that's a young group who can grow together.

Let's face it we arent going from 10th in the EC to contenders in 1 off season with limited cap room.

Trade Kanter along with LT for a wing & and maybe a young / raw defensive minded C
NYK Fan since 92
NYKFP Fan since 04

Mr3037

Postby Muzhik1 » February 5, 2018, 7:44 pm

Willy has a ton of potential. If he is traded to the Spurs, he will become a solid starter in this league.

The best thing that the team can do right now is to trade Kanter and KOQ. Then they can start Willy and call up Luke Kornet from the g league.
Muzhik1

Postby gradyandrew » February 5, 2018, 7:48 pm

taowave wrote:This is soooo stupid....

We all love Kanter,he appears productive....but we SUCK

Would our record be any worse with Willie at the 5?

At this point,I am lost as to what we are trying to accomplish...

And with each passing day,Rebound sounds like a genius

Yeah, I have about two weeks left before I start eating crow the rest of the season. I still think our schedule is at about it's toughest point. Towards the end we play more games at home vs. worse opponents. That being said, when did guys like Willy who are lucky to be in the league get the prerogative to demand trades? Okafor had the history and draft position to at least make it excusable, but Willy has done what? Two months of double doubles and matador defense on a tanking squad? I think Hornacek is doing it right. You have to earn time.
This is a FAN page that relies on its members for content and commentary. So don't be a lurker, be a POSTER, even if it's just a picture of a fat guy eating a hamburger.
gradyandrew

Postby Mr3037 » February 5, 2018, 8:08 pm

gradyandrew wrote:Two months of double doubles and matador defense on a tanking squad?

Sure you are describing Willy and not Kanter? :)
NYK Fan since 92
NYKFP Fan since 04

Mr3037

Postby nazrmohamed » February 5, 2018, 8:26 pm

Mr3037 wrote:If I am Perry & Co I am trading KOQ to ensure Willy gets more PT.

:clap: I'm always gonna listen though, you never know the offer and while I don't like the idea of trading WHG, if there is someone else out there with a similar story (age, production, potential) at a different position that fits a need and we'll play him then I'd consider it. Sometimes it's about who will play. But yeah, I'd rather just play him by creating the opening for him to do so, trading Oquinn and Noah.
PHISHER
nazrmohamed

Postby taowave » February 5, 2018, 8:40 pm

I'm not blaming Kanter in any way,but is a KP Kanter front court the way to go?

Would it look all better with a real SF and PG??

Or do we shift KP to the 5 and find a stud 4??

,I doubt Kanter nets us anything worthwhile..

Mr3037 wrote:Yeah we do suck tao but that doesnt mean it's Kanter's fault BUT I do agree with the idea of IF Willy had started every game Kanter has & played the same mins I dont think we'd be any worse in the standings.

I think Don has the right idea though of trying to trade Kanter for a YOUNG wing.
If we could end up with a starting 5 of Frank, Timmy, new SF, KP & Willy that's a young group who can grow together.

Let's face it we arent going from 10th in the EC to contenders in 1 off season with limited cap room.

Trade Kanter along with LT for a wing & and maybe a young / raw defensive minded C
taowave

Postby Mr3037 » February 5, 2018, 8:48 pm

taowave wrote:I'm not blaming Kanter in any way,but is a KP Kanter front court the way to go?

Would it look all better with a real SF and PG??

Or do we shift KP to the 5 and find a stud 4??

,I doubt Kanter nets us anything worthwhile..

You never know though.......I mean he's a walking double double he just cant play D.
There are worse contracts out there (Noah for 1).

I'd just rather us shop Kanter & KOQ before WHG, thats all.

As nazr said though, if a theres a deal where we can trade KOQ/Kanter WITH WHG to get something that will contribute to our future in return then I am good with that too
NYK Fan since 92
NYKFP Fan since 04

Mr3037

Postby taowave » February 5, 2018, 8:53 pm

There is an article on ESPN discussing how the FA market has drastically changed..I don't see buyers for Kanter..
Last edited by taowave on February 6, 2018, 7:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
taowave

Postby NYGM » February 5, 2018, 8:54 pm

I think we're doing what we supposed to do, showcase the guys we want to move in order to keep the young core..

There is a strategy for playing KOQ, Kanter, Lee, Jack, etc.. First of all they are "veterans" so we gave them all the time to keep their job or show themselves..

Now it's time to move then to play the youth..
NYGM

Postby nazrmohamed » February 5, 2018, 10:21 pm

NYGM wrote:I think we're doing what we supposed to do, showcase the guys we want to move in order to keep the young core..

There is a strategy for playing KOQ, Kanter, Lee, Jack, etc.. First of all they are "veterans" so we gave them all the time to keep their job or show themselves..

Now it's time to move then to play the youth..

:thumbsup:

Except for Jack. Everyone knew Jack was a bum and probably still would've felt that way if we had a five game increase in wins. He's just not that good. He should be waived immediately
PHISHER
nazrmohamed

Postby Mr3037 » February 6, 2018, 12:55 am

Just read that the Wizards are trying to trade for D.Jordan....and are willing to part with Gortat & Oubre.

COULD we possibly convince them IF they cant get Jordan to take Kanter in some package to get Gortat & Oubre?
I'm guessing we'd have to part with a pick, MAYBE even our 1st rounder but Oubre is still hella young and can ball AND is a SF which we need....
NYK Fan since 92
NYKFP Fan since 04

Mr3037

Postby H20Knick » February 6, 2018, 7:50 am

You guys know that Kanter is 2 months younger than THJ right ?
Fort Knox. Hard Knox. Knock Knox. It doesn't matter. Hall of Fame in 20.

2018 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION
2015 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION
H20Knick

Next

Return to New York Knicks