So what's next?

Discuss New York Knicks news, current events, players, and history.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv

Minkaveli
Likes given: 172

We know what we are. A 32-34 win team.

We know the young players and what they can do.

Is it patience? Do we make a move to change the team? What should happen? Because I feel like we could all write the end of this story and how it's going to end.

The whole staff (Perry, Mills) are on the road trip with the team. They know it's make or break.
No longer sick and tired that Kurt wasn't hired.
ISIAH_THOMAS
Likes given: 52

Time to clear the deck trade and get assets

I bet the team is pondering a kemba trade though

Bad team that should tank, not chase playoffs. They need more high level talent
Fxck Adam Silver
Minkaveli

I feel like something needs to happen. I've seen enough. We know what this team is.
ISIAH_THOMAS
Likes given: 52

Agree something better happen can't stand pat with this trash
Fxck Adam Silver
Don Che
Likes given: 9

I thought u guys wanted trash?

I'd just start frank.....see what I can get for kanter...I'd look to get a young athlete and/or picks and no long contracts if I can't get that...I'd stand pat
Minkaveli

Everyone is available except KP and Hardaway. that includes Frank.
maxinquaye11
Likes given: 6

Next is saying to the media that old Jack's legs have given up so Frank will now be promoted to starter with Burke as his back up.

Let them fight for the starter spot. We go from there. This will make the games more interesting to watch.

or we could always go back to the 2PG.
 " Stat at 3 was code for Melo playing in the low post..." - n8 the gr8

"I don't ever wanna hear anyone bash max's 2 pg love again." - H20Knick

"Cant lie, he did play better off the bench." - nazrmohammed
nazrmohamed
Likes given: 246

If it's me I'm attempting to trade anyone over 25 yrs old with the goal of additional draft picks or young talent and then sit back and hope that the loss of those vets result in a top 5 pick. It's been my plan all along.

And of course Frank is safe. Jesus Christ. We're supposed to be rebuilding and people wanna trade thier rookie.
NYGM
Likes given: 473

nazrmohamed wrote:If it's me I'm attempting to trade anyone over 25 yrs old with the goal of additional draft picks or young talent and then sit back and hope that the loss of those vets result in a top 5 pick. It's been my plan all along.

And of course Frank is safe. Jesus Christ. We're supposed to be rebuilding and people wanna trade thier rookie.
This..

This should be the last chance for the veterans to make something happen..

Keep the "under 25" team intact and start giving them major minutes..

Try to get more picks and assets at the deadline..
Koopa Troopa
Likes given: 0

Whats next is to stop watching the games.

If you switch to the YES network and watch the Nets, they lose. But they lose in an exciting way. Tons of great young talent always giving it 100 percent.

In NY we have nothing to look forward to. No assets. No excitement. Dead last in fast break points. No NBA level point guards. Only Tim Hardaway JR is fun to watch. All these years of losing and horrible deals led to this team. There is just a stench of misery floating around this franchise. You can try to mask it as a tank job, but good luck selling that to KP. He might be young, but hes not gonna commit 5 years to a franchise with no promise.
Rusty La Rue
Likes given: 794

Koopa Troopa wrote:Whats next is to stop watching the games.

If you switch to the YES network and watch the Nets, they lose. But they lose in an exciting way. Tons of great young talent always giving it 100 percent.

In NY we have nothing to look forward to. No assets. No excitement. Dead last in fast break points. No NBA level point guards. Only Tim Hardaway JR is fun to watch. All these years of losing and horrible deals led to this team. There is just a stench of misery floating around this franchise. You can try to mask it as a tank job, but good luck selling that to KP. He might be young, but hes not gonna commit 5 years to a franchise with no promise.
There you go again Koopa... expressing your deep love for the shit show that is the Nets... Do you seriously believe that any of the young players on that roster are special? Are it really fun to see them jack up 3's but not hitting them? That team is going nowhere fast...

After the Knicks current road trip we are probably out of the playoff race and then it is time for Ntilikina to start with Burke backing him up... Trade KOQ to get Willy playing time... and the only older player to get regular playing time is Lee unless we get a good trade offer for him... then he he goes... Even though I love Beasley he is of course also available for trade... if any playoff team needs some instant offense... And should we find a taker for Noah (which we won't) then we have hit the jackpot...
2023 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
2020 Co-NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
"Everybody gets excited about youth except the coach, because he knows youth means mistakes, mistakes mean losses, losses means you're fired."
Ari_Ingus

I think its clear for everyone that we are not playoff team.

So lets move on!! We should start with Willy and Frank, backup Burke and Kanter. Get KOQ traded.
Frank, Willy and Burke should play their minutes no matter how much they screw up. Experience, learn from mistakes. It hurts my brain to see that Frank was dishing with KP, 1 mistake and Jeff put Jack back in, who makes silly mistakes as a Vet. Fucking stupid.

After the season we can see what is Willy, Frank and Burke really capable of. We have no doubts about KP and Tim. Lee should be traded now if possible. We should not see Lance or Baker play at all.

If we see that Willy is not capable to be nr1, we get rid of him, we still have Kanter who can start during rebuild.
If Frank/Burke cannot start in future, we are fucked and thrown couple of years back in progress.

At the moment it seems like Jeff is just trying to not get fired, but by willing to win at all cost could backfire him. Because at the moment we are not developing new players, not having a true understanding where we are headding AND not winning games. These random line ups are so annoying. Come ON! its half of the season, you should already understand who can do what. It seems like he is throwing dices when chosing who is going to play.

I wouldn`t mind watching our guys lose with Willy and Frank starting. I would watch us not win the games but watch our guys develope. At the moment i see vets losing.

Damn im angry
Don Che
Likes given: 9

Trade willy and start frank

That's it
NewlyKnicked
Likes given: 160

Yep, I was still hesitant but after watching yesterday's loss with our full lineup against a diminished Lakers team, I also think we need the high pick.

- Jack has been much better than expected but it's time he takes a back seat. Let the Frank/Burke competition begin
- Willy should start to rebuild his confidence so either Kanter or KOQ has to go (the later seems to be the easier to move). If both are in demand, great, get Noah out the vault
- Beasley could interest a contender. Maybe. Not sure. Otherwise limit his minutes and give more pt to McDermott who has to show he can go back to the level he showed earlier in the season.
- I'd keep Lee for a minimum of consistency. I still think he is a great role model for our youth and he doesn't endanger the tank
- Watch KP's minutes (30 top). I want to see him full intensity when on the floor. No more half-assing it. Pull him out as soon as another nagging injury shows up
2017 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
2021 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
Championship 16/17

Replace the coach with Mark Jackson

Start Frank Nitkina

Test the trade market with Kanter, and pull the trigger if you can get a SF this team can grow with and potentially other wing players. If no trade is available, reshuffle the lineup with Willy starting and KOQ and Kanter coming off the bench. You gotta get a good hard look at Willy before you trade him for nothing bc he hasn't gotten any playing time to warrant a good return.I don't trade Willy or Quinn b/ c they are not valuable to other teams right now, but we know what they can do. Test trade market with Kanter and gauge interest.

Bench Lee and limit his minutes, backup for THJ. No trade for Lee

Package Lance and Baker with any Kanter trade.

Don't resign McDermott, Burk, Beasley, or Jack

Resign kOQ

Get a top 5 draft pick
Last edited by Championship 16/17 on January 22nd, 2018, 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
taowave
Likes given: 817

How can you give up on Burk at this point?

At least let him flop like the rest f these bums

As for the team,we are slow as fuck....

KP is NOT a 4,so that soft MF better get used to playing the 5 or learn that its OK to grab rebounds...

I like Franks D,his vision,but Phil drafted him to fit in the framework of the triangle..I hope he has more athleticism than he has displayed..

We play ay a nauseatingly slow pace..
dcapodic

Rusty La Rue wrote:
There you go again Koopa... expressing your deep love for the shit show that is the Nets... Do you seriously believe that any of the young players on that roster are special? Are it really fun to see them jack up 3's but not hitting them? That team is going nowhere fast...

After the Knicks current road trip we are probably out of the playoff race and then it is time for Ntilikina to start with Burke backing him up... Trade KOQ to get Willy playing time... and the only older player to get regular playing time is Lee unless we get a good trade offer for him... then he he goes... Even though I love Beasley he is of course also available for trade... if any playoff team needs some instant offense... And should we find a taker for Noah (which we won't) then we have hit the jackpot...
Do you actually watch the Nets? I so agree with koop on this. The Knicks basically have 1 more free year to make some headway then the Nets are back in business with their draft picks. In the meantime, the Nets have managed to get maybe the top young executive in the league to run things, a young but experienced coach and a roster full of players with value.
Do you seriously believe that any of the young players on that roster are special?
Who on the Knicks has really proven themselves to be "special". I like the core of young guys they are building around, RHJ, Dinwiddie, Levert, etc. If either Okafor or Russell works out they will be steals. Throw in guys that are probably good trade assets such as Carroll and Harris and you can see how much thought has gone into building a roster full of assets.

Also, to koops point, they are just so much more fun to watch!

I am older so I used to root for both the Knicks (my NBA team) and the Nets (my ABA team) so I have no resentment for the Nets or feel any competition to the Knicks from them.
- Me being the resident optimist around this cesspool of doom and gloom, StevoStarks, circa 2019
taowave
Likes given: 817

The Nets are heading in the right direction,and it looks like they have guys who try...

This Knicks team is maddening and so dam unathletic...We have ZERO clue as to what style of Bball to play..

Jeff Hornacek is an uptempo coach,and he is stuck with these dogs??

Put 5 guys on the floor who can push the pace and play D..
The New York Knicks were hoping to carry over their momentum from a clutch win on Friday night into the Staples Center during their matchup with the depleted Los Angeles Lakers on Sunday. Unfortunately, they were unable to slow down the fast-paced Lakers team and were blown out 127-107.

Los Angeles is well-known for their youth movement and up-tempo style of play. However, head coach Jeff Hornacek was still impressed by how well this Lakers team plays in transition, according to Ryan Ward of ClutchPoints.

You don’t see many of these games, they are the No. 1 paced team in the league, they are really flying. They have some young athletic kids that really get up & down the court.”

Knicks forward Kristaps Porzingis echoed Hornacek’s sentiment about Los Angeles’ ability to fly up and down the court.

As soon as they get the ball, it doesn’t matter who gets the ball, they just run transition.”

“We knew that the Lakers have the fastest pace in the NBA. I think we all agree that we didn’t do a good job of slowing it down ourselves, not falling into their game – showing it down, taking good shots – so we could get back on defense.”

It is a bit perplexing to see how the Knicks were unable to slow down the Lakers despite being well-aware of their strengths. Los Angeles had even been without two of their core players in rookie point guard Lonzo Ball and shooting guard Kentavious Caldwell-Pope. Although it could be a testament to their improved play, it is still a bit concerning to see the Knicks unable to make adjustments.

Needless to say, Porzingis was unable to do his part after registering just 17 points and four rebounds in the loss. The Knicks will need to make some tremendous strides soon if they are to get back into the Eastern Conference Playoff picture.
Rusty La Rue
Likes given: 794

dcapodic wrote:Do you actually watch the Nets? I so agree with koop on this. The Knicks basically have 1 more free year to make some headway then the Nets are back in business with their draft picks. In the meantime, the Nets have managed to get maybe the top young executive in the league to run things, a young but experienced coach and a roster full of players with value.

Who on the Knicks has really proven themselves to be "special". I like the core of young guys they are building around, RHJ, Dinwiddie, Levert, etc. If either Okafor or Russell works out they will be steals. Throw in guys that are probably good trade assets such as Carroll and Harris and you can see how much thought has gone into building a roster full of assets.

Also, to koops point, they are just so much more fun to watch!

I am older so I used to root for both the Knicks (my NBA team) and the Nets (my ABA team) so I have no resentment for the Nets or feel any competition to the Knicks from them.
My problem is that you guys (at least Koopa does) overvalue everything about the Nets situation... And bitch about everything about the knick...

How are Carroll and Harris any better assets than Lee, KOQ, etc.?

Okafor is probably not even on the Nets come next season... and even if he is... is he better than for example Kanter... no way...

I do not know what people see in Russell to me he is a bum... but he is young so he could still become a solid player... But would anybody in the NBA take Russell over KP if the draft was done today... NO WAY

I like RHJ but he is a role player... the same can be said about Levert and Dinwiddie...

Crabbe has been awful and is paid more than Timmy...

The Nest do not have their own draft pick this season... the knicks do...

Should I continue? So my problem is that there are many teams NBA with a better outlook than the Knicks... but the Nets are not one of them... so stop using them as blueprint for succes... if anything they are the exact opposite...
2023 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
"Everybody gets excited about youth except the coach, because he knows youth means mistakes, mistakes mean losses, losses means you're fired."
spree#8
Likes given: 540

What Rusty says (about the Nets). We have the better cards in basically every department going forward.

To the question, what's next? For me: chilling. I'm not seeing anything unexpected, I'm better entertained than expected, I like the outlook and have no idea why anyone would be mad about anything right now. I expect one move to clear the center logjam before the trade deadline (if a worthwhile offer comes in) and expect the youth to get more playing time the further we dip under .500.
#knickstape