1/7/18: New York Knicks @ Dallas Mavericks (W 100-96)

Discuss New York Knicks news, current events, players, and history.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv

Championship 16/17
Likes given: 0

Don't take Frank out of the game please, let him learn from his mistakes, he needs this time. Don't do anything stupid Hornacek.
nazrmohamed
Likes given: 246

Oh wait, just like that we embrace the tank
Ari_Ingus

NBA have shit referees.
spree#8
Likes given: 540

God do these refs suck. But at least we are up 2.
#knickstape
spree#8

Carlisle only playing vets in the clutch. He clearly didn't want to lose this game...
#knickstape
spree#8

A win!
#knickstape
Don Che
Likes given: 9

That was close
Minkaveli
Likes given: 172

A few thoughts since I saw most of the game tonight including the whole second half.

The Good: The Bigs. Kyle, Kanter, KP. All had solid games. Kyle was clutch in the fourth. Kanter in the first half. KP throughout.
Lee and McDermott did enough with no Beasley.
I thought the turnovers were killer. This should've been a blow out win but you give Dallas 28 points of turnovers. Defense was really good but you can't turn the ball over. I also thought the PG position was awful again. It showed it's ugly head. Jack hit the clutch floater but him and Frank didn't do much at all to get a flow going and turned it over way too much. Dallas is weak at PG too. I'll take the win.
No longer sick and tired that Kurt wasn't hired.
NYGM
Likes given: 473

Good WIN..

KOQ played really good.. Passing, scoring and rebounding.

KP looks way better if he's not forcing ISO all the time..

This team played some really intense defense..

McBuckets must be in top shape, the guy just never stops moving..

Frank looked solid to me.. Obviously he needs improve his handle but looked more agressive lately.. His shots pass the eye test but needs to go in way more..

We won this one on the road without TWB, well done.
big_j_NY
Likes given: 1123

nazrmohamed wrote:Oh wait, just like that we embrace the tank
See H20, this time I didn't jinx it...........I didn't even watch tonight's game and this is my first time in the thread LOL
Minkaveli

Another thing...I think we spend the most money in the league on centers (Kanter and Noah-$33 million) and the least amount of money on the PG position ($5 million) so you get what you pay for....lol
Mr3037

It's nice to get a win, especially with us taking all those L's around Xmas & New Year!
NYK Fan since 92
NYKFP Fan since 04

28 years & counting...Bleeding Orange & Blue
Rusty La Rue
Likes given: 794

spree#8 wrote:dallas tanks the right way (quote by rebound)

Because they have won 11 of their last 24? :? Because they don't play vets? Wait: Nowitzki, Matthews, Powell, Kleber, Harris, Mejiri and Barea are between 26 and 39. They play 3 guys 25 under in their regular rotation. :?

BTW: interestingly almost every team that was expected to tank has already gone on a big competitive stretch. Dallas and especially Chicago now, the Clippers got back into it despite the injuries, Orlando won early, Phoenix didn't give up, Memphis might fight back once Conley is back...
I agree 100% spree... some people on here really live by the saying that 'The grass is always greener on the other side'...

Dallas are shit and DSJ and HBarnes are not going to change that... and even then Dallas are trying to win games as they should... At some point in the season you might play the younger guys more because the playoffs are out of reach... but even then you play to win :hammer:
2023 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
2020 Co-NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
"Everybody gets excited about youth except the coach, because he knows youth means mistakes, mistakes mean losses, losses means you're fired."
Rusty La Rue
Likes given: 794

thewatcher wrote:I would take a 2nd round pick for Willie.
Really :? He is a young player on a cheap contract and has already shown he can play... So he is a keeper unless we get a great offer... Trading him for a 2nd pick would be the dumbest move ever...
2023 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
2020 Co-NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
"Everybody gets excited about youth except the coach, because he knows youth means mistakes, mistakes mean losses, losses means you're fired."
Minkaveli

lol @ taking a second round pick for Willie.
Don Che

Minkaveli wrote:Another thing...I think we spend the most money in the league on centers (Kanter and Noah-$33 million) and the least amount of money on the PG position ($5 million) so you get what you pay for....lol
This is the main reason we gotta clear the pack of centers...from a basketball standpoint...this is the worse time in NBA history to have this many bigs on the roster...let alone bigs that dont defend the perimeter either.

its gonna hurt but even if we make the playoffs and do well...Kyle and one of Willy/Kanter gotta go...if we are in the lottery and get real bad...id get rid of all of them. Just to have a balance...we need money invested in our wings
spree#8

Seems like I saw a different game when it comes to our point guards. Ntilikina had a very good stint from the end of the third until the end of the fourth when he got pulled after that one bad turnover with the team still being up by 6. He was doing everything. Pushing the ball, passing it well, blocking shots impressively, getting rebounds and making some shots. All while Smith didn't see any fourth quarter minutes, that's why today the articles are like this: https://nypost.com/2018/01/08/frank-nti ... ks-rookie/

A real nice game by Frank, although articles like that don't make much sense, because you could also see what is to like about Smith. And Jack won the game with his floater against heavy contact, before Lee iced it from the line.

All in all a game that was fun for the most part to watch, because we led from the start to the end with just a few ties. O'Quinn and Kanter played well again and Hernangomez saw some of the Beasley minutes. Baker defended well.

A bit worrisome despite his 29 points was KP. Very engaged, but he looks a bit confused on offense right now, rushing and forcing way too many shots, which led to his 9 of 25 night. It's funny that he played like that with his idol in the house. While KP right now shoots right into the defender, Dirk is a master of separation. Hopefully KP will study some more Nowitzki footage to get more comfortable again.

Wouldn't have minded a loss, but this win gives the team a shot to still compete for the playoffs with Chicago at home next and THJ (hopefully) returning a few games later.
#knickstape
Championship 16/17

spree#8 wrote:Seems like I saw a different game when it comes to our point guards. Ntilikina had a very good stint from the end of the third until the end of the fourth when he got pulled after that one bad turnover with the team still being up by 6. He was doing everything. Pushing the ball, passing it well, blocking shots impressively, getting rebounds and making some shots.
Yeah, i didn't like that he got pulled, he was playing a good game. I hope he silenced the doubters for now, especially when compare to DSJ.
Don Che

Both Dennis/Rick Carslisle were putting respeck on Franks name.....good to hear

i also liked Jeff's experiment of going pure bully ball and running 3 bigs out there...screw it lets see if things can be worked this way when teams go small.
spree#8

Don Che wrote:Both Dennis/Rick Carslisle were putting respeck on Franks name.....good to hear

i also liked Jeff's experiment of going pure bully ball and running 3 bigs out there...screw it lets see if things can be worked this way when teams go small.
Who was the third? We played combinations of Willy/Kanter and Willy/O'Quinn, but 3 bigs at the same time? Not that I remember. The other two are usual old school combinations, so at least O'Quinn/Willy should function relatively well. Kanter/Willy might be too slow footed (laterally) on defense.
#knickstape