It's time to start questioning Perry

Discuss New York Knicks news, current events, players, and history.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv

StevoStarks
Likes given: 9

Won't happen. Perry knows the deal over here. He wanted a mentor for Fox. We're all good with mentors.
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
- Dr. Seuss

"Woody was the perfect coach for these mutts."
- taowave

"Is he REALLY injured?? A part of me doesnt believe that he is and I think he's just being a bitch. Bitch-nani."
- rynyk222
taowave
Likes given: 817

That franchise makes us look like the Warriors

spree#8 wrote:
Hill has only one more guaranteed year, so it's not really such a biggie all you guys make it to be. That's why he likely will easily traded (Cavs are the frontrunners right now). Not a Noah deal Phil left us with.
dcapodic
Likes given: 0

Right now, Hill is better than anything they have got so it would not be all that surprising to see the Cavs do it especially given their defensive issues. Rose, Thomas, JR, Calderon...they get zero defense from their guards and Shumpert has been no help either. Not saying Hill is a defensive wizard but he runs rings around those guys and would be an easy improvement.
- Me being the resident optimist around this cesspool of doom and gloom, StevoStarks, circa 2019
Koopa Troopa

StevoStarks wrote:Won't happen. Perry knows the deal over here. He wanted a mentor for Fox. We're all good with mentors.
If he wanted a mentor for Fox a cheaper alternative would have been Rondo....also a better player. But what do I know, Im not a GM. Maybe if I was id overpay for bums too.
rebound
Likes given: 1104

Perry has 4 days to make a move before he is nothing more than a PR friendly version of Phil Jackson.
Knicks on pace to end with another late lottery pick, after subjecting the fanbase to a team Philled with washed up vets.

Lee has a 3 year deal that needs to be turned into a 2 year deal. That's probably priority one.
If he can get anything for O'Quinn then do it. He's a known commodity whose value won't be higher.
Willy's value is at an all time low due to no playing time. Never saw much in him but no point in selling a player at his all time low when his contract is 1.5mil.
TOM THIBODEAU'S NEW YORK KNICKS PRESENT:
HEROBALL. A STORY OF THE MID RANGE FADEAWAY JUMPER.
STARRING JALEN BUMSON AND DUBIOUS HANDLES.
Rusty La Rue
Likes given: 794

rebound wrote:Perry has 4 days to make a move before he is nothing more than a PR friendly version of Phil Jackson.
Knicks on pace to end with another late lottery pick, after subjecting the fanbase to a team Philled with washed up vets.

Lee has a 3 year deal that needs to be turned into a 2 year deal. That's probably priority one.
If he can get anything for O'Quinn then do it. He's a known commodity whose value won't be higher.
Willy's value is at an all time low due to no playing time. Never saw much in him but no point in selling a player at his all time low when his contract is 1.5mil.
Why does Perry have to make a move? I agree that if we can move CLee we do it... But we should not be desperate so what Perry needs to do is be cool and let one of these playoff team become desperate...

If no interesting deals presents itself... Then I am okay with Perry doing nothing...

As I said before we only move Willy on draft day to move up... There is no reason to include Willy in any deal before that...
2023 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
2020 Co-NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
"Everybody gets excited about youth except the coach, because he knows youth means mistakes, mistakes mean losses, losses means you're fired."
Don Che

chill if I can get Rondae for Willy....I'd do that deal w/o even thinking about it
Championship 16/17

You trade Willy and you just lost the ability to resign KP. We will all look back at this and I will tell everyone "Told you so", if Willy gets traded.

You trade Kanter and maybe include THJ or Lance Thomas for a SF. You promote Willy to starting center, you tank and get Doncic in the draft to play SG.
nazrmohamed
Likes given: 246

Championship 16/17 wrote:You trade Willy and you just lost the ability to resign KP. We will all look back at this and I will tell everyone "Told you so", if Willy gets traded.

You trade Kanter and maybe include THJ or Lance Thomas for a SF. You promote Willy to starting center, you tank and get Doncic in the draft to play SG.
Basketball is a business. Kp should understand this as he left his home to travel across Europe at a young age. If a trade improves his team he should be happy cuz ultimately we're gonna praise him for wins and blame him fur losses until we get a player better than him.

With that said, Willy shouldn't be on the trade block regardless. Dude makes less than 2 mil yr and was an all rookie last year. We need to trade the guys who can opt out, get a legit C of the future and keep Willy in the fold as our next generational impact backup. That C could be KP depending on who we acquire
Ari_Ingus

Willy demanded a trade till end of deadline, team was informed by Willy`s agent.
Source: https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-willy- ... 34637.html

Trade KOQ and Kanter asap and play Noah/Willy 50:50 and make him stay.
Last edited by Ari_Ingus on February 5th, 2018, 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don Che

i thought that earlier in the year as well champ but at this point

Kanter just does everything Willy does at a better clip and Willy hasnt really proven much with the limited time he's played

with that said i still think he can be a 15/10/3 type guy which is beyond solid but I dont think Willy and KP can defend at a playoff level..let alone a championship level if you intend to build towards that phase.

Offensively i dont have too many concerns with that duo tho.

also doing that trade doesnt guarantee a tank...and understand that Kanter makes 17 mill and Tim makes the same amount..your not trading those guys and not getting contracts back...contract given to players that will expect to play.

I would trade Kyle now...run kanter/willy and evaluate from there....if Willy performs well and it works...let Kanter walk...if they both suck...let kanter walk and trade willy....Kanter stays where he is...you really sit down and think to yourself...is Kanter at 18 million better than Willy at 2 million?....and go from there
Don Che

Ari_Ingus wrote:Willy demanded a trade till end of deadline, team was informed by Willy`s agent.
Source: https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-willy- ... 34637.html

Trade KOQ and Kanter asap and play Noah/Willy 50:50 and make him stay.

AGREED

its just logical.
taowave

We should trade Kanter,and I love the guy...
Good luck finding a taker..

Lee should go to OKC or Cleveland..

Letting Willy go for a second rounder is DUMB..

Bench Jack,he's not the future,and he shouldn't be the present..

Send Hardaway back to Atlanta for further development
Don Che

lmaooo @ Tim
dcapodic

taowave wrote:We should trade Kanter,and I love the guy...

Yup!
- Me being the resident optimist around this cesspool of doom and gloom, StevoStarks, circa 2019
rebound
Likes given: 1104

taowave wrote:We should trade Kanter,and I love the guy...

:laugh:
TOM THIBODEAU'S NEW YORK KNICKS PRESENT:
HEROBALL. A STORY OF THE MID RANGE FADEAWAY JUMPER.
STARRING JALEN BUMSON AND DUBIOUS HANDLES.
cragganmor
Likes given: 93

taowave wrote:...

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
big_j_NY
Likes given: 1123

Tao with the early comment of the year candidate :LOL:
taowave

Knicks, who wanted a ‘fresh vision,' even failing at a rebuild

Stefan Bondy and Rebound

The rebuild, or “the fresh vision” outlined by president Steve Mills, is stumbling toward an unsightly wasted first year.

The players anointed by Mills as the franchise’s building blocks have fallen, one by one, to varying degrees of disappointment.

It all seemed to come to a head Monday in a day of reckoning — less than 24 hours following one of the worst defeats of this fading season because of another letdown from Tim Hardaway Jr. — when we learned Ron Baker is out for the season, Willy Hernangomez requested a trade and Frank Ntilikina is still not ready to be a starter on a bad team.

The four players mentioned in the above sentence were all part of Mills’ preseason manifesto on the MSG website. The fifth player was Kristaps Porzingis. It was dubbed, “A New Day For the Knicks — A Journey Begins,” and published amid intense skepticism following the disastrous Phil Jackson experiment. Five months later, this “Journey” feels a lot similar to the previous four or five.t0

Willy Hernangomez’s reps ask Knicks for trade
In other words, the solutions are not on the current roster and there is no identity beyond inconsistency. Culture derives from stability and the Knicks don’t strike anybody as a secure unit, from the coaching staff down the roster.

Frank Ntilikina still isn’t ready to be a starter in the league.

The news about Baker undergoing season-ending surgery on his shoulder and Hernangomez’s representatives requesting a trade was hardly a shock. The former was expected and the latter was just a step beyond what Hernangomez said publicly about his desire for playing time, whether it’s in New York or elsewhere. Hernangomez’s demotion to the end of the bench has been offset, to a degree, by the emergence of Enes Kanter. They’re similar players and Kanter has been better. But that also means the Knicks should’ve traded Hernangomez over the summer with Carmelo Anthony, when the center’s value was at its peak.

Ntilikina’s lack of progress is more discouraging. Whereas the two point guards taken after him in the draft — Dennis Smith Jr. and Donovan Mitchell — are accumulating valuable minutes for their rebuilding franchises, Ntilikina is stuck in a reserve role behind Jarrett Jack and sometimes Trey Burke.

Coach Jeff Hornacek indicated that Ntilikina, who missed Monday’s practice because of knee soreness, is behind schedule in his development. It’s fair to wonder, based on how they’ve handled Ntilikina, whether the Knicks should draft another point guard with their lottery pick in June. Many scouts believe Ntilikina is better suited as an offguard, and the decision to call up Burke from the G League was a telling sign of where the rookie stands.

“The thought at the beginning of the year was Frank at some point would become (the starter),” Hornacek said. “But he’s still trying to grasp having to go out there every single night and play so I don’t know if we’re quite there.”

The root of many Knicks issues is a conflict of interest, or a flawed business model that wasn’t accounted for in Mills’ manifesto. Hornacek has little security and understandably wants to win to keep his job. Mills and GM Scott Perry, to their credit, haven’t demanded certain rotations or playing styles from their coach. That level of dysfunction left with Phil Jackson.

But the negative issues and losing are suddenly overwhelming. Hardaway Jr., who signed a $71 million contract over the summer, is struggling through a 5-for-33 shooting slump and was so frustrated about blowing the game Sunday that he blew off the media. He apologized a day later.

“My emotions definitely got the best of me,” said Hardaway, who, like Porzingis, is learning how tough it is to fill Carmelo’s shoes. “Just an emotional game, atmosphere, and I just wanted to win really bad. It’s nothing personal.”

The surplus of centers on the roster has created an environment where Joakim Noah was banished and Hernangomez plotted his exit strategy. Hornacek rightfully passed the blame on these issues to the front office. Having four centers who all think they deserve playing time is a nonsensical recipe in today’s NBA.

“Of course (Hernangomez) wishes he could play and wishes we could get him more minutes but I think he understands how we got to this point,” Hornacek said. “It’s very diffuclt to play three guys especially in a

league that doesn’t play a lot of centers anymore.”

So where does all this leave the Knicks in the context of Mills’ preseason mission statement? At 23-31 going into Tuesday’s game against the Bucks, this already feels like a punted first year. Nobody expected them to be good but the goal of making this all about development is also failing.
StevoStarks

Mitchell is not a PG. Does that discredit that entire article?
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
- Dr. Seuss

"Woody was the perfect coach for these mutts."
- taowave

"Is he REALLY injured?? A part of me doesnt believe that he is and I think he's just being a bitch. Bitch-nani."
- rynyk222