Knicks 2018 cap situation (including 2019 outlook)

Discuss New York Knicks news, current events, players, and history.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv, cru77jones

Re: Knicks 2018 cap situation

Postby Championship 16/17 » April 8, 2018, 12:16 pm

Nooooooo! Okay fine!
Championship 16/17

Postby Rusty La Rue » April 9, 2018, 3:00 am

PistolPete wrote:We need a Center who challengers defenders at the rim. Kanter's 0.5 career average for Blocks just ain't going to cut it. Atrocious actually.

While I admit 0.5 avarage is awful for a C... I do not believe it is that important when he is playing with KP who is one of the best shot blockers in the league... I prefer a strong rebounder next to KP than a great shot blocker and Kanter is exactly that... Would I like to have a player with both skillsets of course (so maybe if we pickup Bamba in the draft)... but I believe Kanter inability to block shots are the least of our worries...
"Everybody gets excited about youth except the coach, because he knows youth means mistakes, mistakes mean losses, losses means you're fired."
Rusty La Rue

Postby NewlyKnicked » April 9, 2018, 4:28 am

The Bucks offered 54mil for 3 years for Jabari at the start of the season and he refused. The guy sees himself as an AllStar deserving a max contract. Thats fine, he is talented. but if he will have to accept that his injuries will be factored in his salary. No way I want the Knicks investing 20mil per year over 3+ season on a player who still needs to show that he's fully back
2017 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
NewlyKnicked

Postby NewlyKnicked » April 9, 2018, 4:31 am

I love Kanter on and off the court, but his price is too high for sure and I don't see him getting his defense up to speed. He's a 25year old vet. He will stay as he is, a very good post player and a talented rebounder. If he opts out, I'd offer a 10-12mil contract over 3+ seasons but not a penny more.
NewlyKnicked

Postby Rusty La Rue » April 9, 2018, 4:57 am

NewlyKnicked wrote:I love Kanter on and off the court, but his price is too high for sure and I don't see him getting his defense up to speed. He's a 25year old vet. He will stay as he is, a very good post player and a talented rebounder. If he opts out, I'd offer a 10-12mil contract over 3+ seasons but not a penny more.

I do not believe you opt out of an 18 million $ contract to accept 10-12 million per year even if it is for mulitple years (He is 25 not 35 ;) )... the extra years are not that important yet...

I do agree though that we should be careful what we offer Kanter (even though I really like him)... I believe a lot is decided by who we draft... If we pickup one of Bamba, Bagley, Ayton, Bamba or JJJ... I do not believe it makes sense to invest a lot of money in Kanter... But should we get a guy like Mikal Kanter makes a lot more sense...

I wouldn't mind a starting lineup of Ntilikina, THJ, Mikal, KP & Kanter that could grow together the next couple of years...
"Everybody gets excited about youth except the coach, because he knows youth means mistakes, mistakes mean losses, losses means you're fired."
Rusty La Rue

Postby cragganmor » April 9, 2018, 10:15 am

Who is the better fit at the 5? Kanter at $10-12m/yr or KOQ at $8m/yr?
cragganmor

Postby Rusty La Rue » April 9, 2018, 10:38 am

cragganmor wrote:Who is the better fit at the 5? Kanter at $10-12m/yr or KOQ at $8m/yr?

If we could get Kanter at $10-12m and KOQ at $8m I might keep'em both ;)

But you are not getting Kanter at that price range and it might even be hard to keep KOQ at $8m...
Rusty La Rue

Postby cragganmor » April 9, 2018, 10:51 am

KOQs per 36 shows that he'll wind up in foul trouble, needs to show he can stay in the game; FA backup C's don't get $10m/yr. I think he'll be more attracted to us if we have a plan to be a winner.
cragganmor

Postby Rusty La Rue » April 9, 2018, 11:45 am

cragganmor wrote:KOQs per 36 shows that he'll wind up in foul trouble, needs to show he can stay in the game; FA backup C's don't get $10m/yr. I think he'll be more attracted to us if we have a plan to be a winner.

Well look what the Lakers gave Mozgov... was that $15-16m per year... So I will not rule out that some team will give KOQ $10m per year... But that shouldn't be us :blink:

Like I said I can accept around $8m per year in a 3 year deal... but not higher...
Rusty La Rue

Postby Championship 16/17 » April 9, 2018, 12:03 pm

NewlyKnicked wrote:The Bucks offered 54mil for 3 years for Jabari at the start of the season and he refused. The guy sees himself as an AllStar deserving a max contract. Thats fine, he is talented. but if he will have to accept that his injuries will be factored in his salary. No way I want the Knicks investing 20mil per year over 3+ season on a player who still needs to show that he's fully back

I was thinking 15 mil over 2 seasons, one without KP and one with how he meshes with KP.
Championship 16/17

Postby spree#8 » April 9, 2018, 12:41 pm

cragganmor wrote:Who is the better fit at the 5? Kanter at $10-12m/yr or KOQ at $8m/yr?

At those numbers, both are good signings. 8m is exactly what I expect O'Quinn to command, Kanter would still be a good signing between 12-14. If we want to be more flexible and play some small line-ups with KP at the 5, O'Quinn would be the better signing for us - if both opt out. He could be the starter and be a defensive presence, passing bigman for 20-30 minutes, while KP plays most of the remaining minutes at the 5 with a SF/PF (yet to be drafted/signed) playing at the 4.
#knickstape
spree#8

Postby cragganmor » April 9, 2018, 12:44 pm

Agree with Spree. That's a plan that is reasonable, not very risky, has flexibility and upside. It allows us to focus on drafting a forward for the future, stay on track.
cragganmor

Postby NewlyKnicked » April 9, 2018, 1:17 pm

Championship 16/17 wrote:I was thinking 15 mil over 2 seasons, one without KP and one with how he meshes with KP.

I don't see why the Bucks would offer less than at the start of the season. So 54mil for 3 seasons (18mil per year) is the minimum price and I'm not even willing to pay that
NewlyKnicked

Postby Mr3037 » April 9, 2018, 9:06 pm

Why would Kanter want 12-14 when his option is 18.6? Also I read he's considering declining which means he thinks he can get more than 18.6m elsewhere.

KOQ most likely declines the 4.25m his option is for & yeh maybe we can get him to stay for approx 8m.
NYK Fan since 92
NYKFP Fan since 04

26 years & counting...Bleeding Orange & Blue
Mr3037

Postby spree#8 » April 10, 2018, 12:56 am

Declining means a) that he wants long- term security and b) that he might want to leave for a playoff team.

I'm saying since the start of the season that it doesn't make short-term financial sense to opt out and that's why I don't think it will happen. Very unlikely that anyone will offer him more than his option as a starting salary and we certainly shouldn't. Because of his defense he will stay below 30 minutes per game, which is why I wouldn't offer more than 12-14. Maybe he finds a team willing to start at 16.
#knickstape
spree#8

Postby Rusty La Rue » April 10, 2018, 4:44 am

spree#8 wrote:Declining means a) that he wants long- term security and b) that he might want to leave for a playoff team.

I'm saying since the start of the season that it doesn't make short-term financial sense to opt out and that's why I don't think it will happen. Very unlikely that anyone will offer him more than his option as a starting salary and we certainly shouldn't. Because of his defense he will stay below 30 minutes per game, which is why I wouldn't offer more than 12-14. Maybe he finds a team willing to start at 16.

I tend to agree with you... but then again no one expected him to get the deal he got from the Thunder... I know I have mentioned the Mozgov deal before but if someone (Lakers) would give Mozgov $16-17m per year there are probably also some team out there that will give that and maybe more to Kanter... I guess that is what his new agent's job is... to see what the market is for Kanter...
Rusty La Rue

Postby cragganmor » April 10, 2018, 8:37 am

Gotta remember that Kanter got his $18m/yr deal during the years of the expanding cap when teams threw money because more was coming next season. The league has now settled into a steady ~$95m cap. Midrange players will struggle to keep that kind of salary.
cragganmor

Postby taowave » April 10, 2018, 9:00 am

I really like Kanter,but I think he's a bad fit long term.Yes,he was Mr Double Double,but much like Beasly,I am not sure he makes a team that much better. To a lesser degree,I feel the same way about Hardaway.

I don't think now is the time to extend him.We have to have some idea what KP looks like,and if possible,I would like to see where we are drafting and what the possible options are
taowave

Postby spree#8 » April 10, 2018, 12:41 pm

Kanter got his contract as a restricted free agent after his rookie contract (matched max offer sheet), so the numbers weren't really surprising. Now that everyone knows the role Kanter can play for the rest of his career, the offers likely will be adjusted to the role.
#knickstape
spree#8

Postby Koopa Troopa » April 10, 2018, 5:50 pm

On a winning team Kanter is a bench player. He can provide great scoring off the bench and catch all the offensive boards from your bench guys throwing up bricks. His defense is too horrible to be a starter, and hes somewhat of a black hole that takes away from your main guys getting involved.
Koopa Troopa

PreviousNext

Return to New York Knicks