Knicks 2018 cap situation (including 2019 outlook)

Discuss New York Knicks news, current events, players, and history.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv, cru77jones

Re: Knicks 2018 cap situation

Postby Championship 16/17 » July 3, 2018, 12:00 pm

What's the game plan to clear cap for the Triple K (Kyrie, Klay, Kawhi) so the can join (Kristaps & Kevin) so we can have a 5k Knicks. Or clear cap to potentially acquire all 3 is not happening. It will be a matter of time before we feel pressure from the league to be competitive. Lakers and Boston are in the top 3 in their conference, Chicago and New York need to acquire superstars. They cannot allow nobody to resign next season, especially when that superstar is joining a top 5 draft pick, with a healthy KP.
Championship 16/17

Postby Championship 16/17 » July 3, 2018, 12:45 pm

But his name doesn't start with a K, I want a "Killer Knicks" nickname. I'm kidding, Jimmy can replace Klay, he will most likely resign with Warriors.
Championship 16/17

Postby spree#8 » July 3, 2018, 1:05 pm

OP is updated.
#knickstape
spree#8

Postby Red » July 3, 2018, 6:41 pm

Is there a realistic scenario where we can acquire Kyrie and one of Kawhi/Butler/Klay next season while keeping KP and possibly Knox/Nitty?
Knicks president Steve Mills made it clear that New York plans to sign a star in the 2019 offseason. "Porzingis is a magnet."

"I’m ready to come out and show people I’m able to play defense...’’Kevin Knox
Red

Postby gradyandrew » July 6, 2018, 1:58 pm

KOQ signs a one year deal with the Pacers for 4.5 million. We could have offered a better deal, I guess he's not a Fiz player.
This is a FAN page that relies on its members for content and commentary. So don't be a lurker, be a POSTER, even if it's just a picture of a fat guy eating a hamburger.
gradyandrew

Postby StevoStarks » July 6, 2018, 3:26 pm

Red wrote:Is there a realistic scenario where we can acquire Kyrie and one of Kawhi/Butler/Klay next season while keeping KP and possibly Knox/Nitty?

I think we've got to get Lee out and then potentially can if we stretch Noah? Or does Noah need to go as well?
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
- Dr. Seuss

"Woody was the perfect coach for these mutts."
- taowave

"Is he REALLY injured?? A part of me doesnt believe that he is and I think he's just being a bitch. Bitch-nani."
- rynyk222
StevoStarks
Writer

Postby rebound » July 6, 2018, 11:41 pm

how on earth did noah get that deal? 4 years? 3 years i could've accepted the risk of it, lining up the contract with melo's and lance's. phil jackson robbed this team.

fucking guy was worse than Isiah.
Team Mills
rebound

Postby Mr3037 » July 7, 2018, 1:00 am

Yeah we are known for giving out bad contracts but that Noah deal HAS to be the worse. It was a risk as it was so 2 & a team option for a 3rd would have been understandable but 4.....FFS.
HOPEFULLY we've learned a valuable lesson in that if you're gonna overpay do it for someone young
NYK Fan since 92
NYKFP Fan since 04

26 years & counting...Bleeding Orange & Blue
Mr3037

Postby NewlyKnicked » July 7, 2018, 6:59 am

gradyandrew wrote:KOQ signs a one year deal with the Pacers for 4.5 million. We could have offered a better deal, I guess he's not a Fiz player.

I’m sad for KOQ. The market for bigs is so freaking clogged, it’s disheartening. I hope he gets fair playing time at least
2017 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
NewlyKnicked

Postby cragganmor » July 7, 2018, 12:38 pm

The market for muscular, tough interior players is low. Enes wasn't going to get a fraction of his $18m option. B&3 guys, rim runners are in demand. I'm hoping that Luke worked his strength, weight and speed. Mitch and him fit the new NBA.
cragganmor

Re: Knicks 2018 cap situation (including 2019 outlook)

Postby spree#8 » July 7, 2018, 3:34 pm

Added a 2019 primer to the OP. Not as detailed, but it should give y'all a feel for where we stand.
#knickstape
spree#8

Postby spree#8 » July 7, 2018, 4:00 pm

Red wrote:Is there a realistic scenario where we can acquire Kyrie and one of Kawhi/Butler/Klay next season while keeping KP and possibly Knox/Nitty?

It's unrealistic because of a few different reasons:
1) Irving and Butler not signing extensions now is only a financial decision, because extensions of existing contracts can only offer specific raises of the current salary, while new contracts signed next offseason will start at the way higher max salary for both of these guys after the cap spike of 2016. In case of Butler we are talking about a difference of 36 mill over the same 4 years and 80 mill in total over the length of the new contract (he is available to sign a 5 year, 190 mill deal with the Wolves next offseason versus a 110 mill extension now).

2) With us likely being a tanking team, free agents won't line up to sign here in 2019.

3) Adding two max free agents with that yearly experience means that we would need 65.5m in cap space, which is not realistic for us.

What we could try to do and what seems to be our plan is the following blueprint: tank in 18-19 while KP is out, add another high draft pick in 2019, focus on player development, create one max slot and try to be a player starting in 2019, hope that KP/one of our lottery picks/one max free agent form a big three, be open/opportunistic for/in trade scenarios starting in 2019 after adding that next lottery pick. BTW: when we target outside free agents I would rather target younger players.

What I would like is that our player development turns Burke's, Hezonja's and/or Mudiay's careers around, we resign two of them in 2019, compete for the playoffs in 19-20 and go for a max free agent in 2020 after having build a better core/looking more attractive.
#knickstape
spree#8

Postby Red » July 7, 2018, 6:46 pm

Thank you. If you want a home grown big3-4 tanking is the way to go.

I expect one of the three (or four) to be a solid point guard when it's said and done. With KP and perhaps Knox the beginning of that big 3-4 it leaves guard as a slot needed. If we have cap space and if a quality guard is available (this year by trade, next year, etc) then why not take advantage of the opportunity?

With the fo's tendency to perform quality searches and due diligence I expect that guard sooner than later. Like by the start of next season. If not then there is no purpose in cap space or tanking imo.
Knicks president Steve Mills made it clear that New York plans to sign a star in the 2019 offseason. "Porzingis is a magnet."

"I’m ready to come out and show people I’m able to play defense...’’Kevin Knox
Red

Postby rebound » July 9, 2018, 12:51 pm

Thoughts on Tobias Harris if Mario doesn't pan out and Durant doesnt take the actual hardest road?

Irving
Frank
Knox
Tobias
KP

Irving
Jimmy
Knox
KP
Mitchell

Irving
Frank
Knox
Durant
KP
Team Mills
rebound

Postby StevoStarks » July 9, 2018, 12:52 pm

I feel like Harris and Knox are redundant and I'd hate to bring in a guy that is going to steal minutes and impact the development of Knox. I would pass on Tobias.
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
- Dr. Seuss

"Woody was the perfect coach for these mutts."
- taowave

"Is he REALLY injured?? A part of me doesnt believe that he is and I think he's just being a bitch. Bitch-nani."
- rynyk222
StevoStarks
Writer

Postby big_j_NY » July 9, 2018, 1:50 pm

rebound wrote:Thoughts on Tobias Harris if Mario doesn't pan out and Durant doesnt take the actual hardest road?

Irving
Frank
Knox
Tobias
KP

Irving
Jimmy
Knox
KP
Mitchell

Irving
Frank
Knox
Durant
KP

We're trying to groom Knox to be BETTER THAN Tobias Harris.

Bringing in Harris just destroys that point in all together...............we don't want Knox to become Harris, AND WE DON'T WANT HARRIS HERE ANYWAY.

No more Tobias Harris/Michael Beasley/Corey Maggette type of forwards on this team, PLSSS
#EmbraceTheTank2019

#InPorzingisWeTrust

Hassan Whiteside wrote:I'm just tryin...tryin 2 really get my NBA 2K rating up
big_j_NY

Postby gradyandrew » July 10, 2018, 6:39 am

But with all the talk about positionless basketball, I think that's the team that Fizdale wants, a team of Beasley, Harris types.
This is a FAN page that relies on its members for content and commentary. So don't be a lurker, be a POSTER, even if it's just a picture of a fat guy eating a hamburger.
gradyandrew

Postby cragganmor » July 10, 2018, 12:22 pm

Let the season progress, we'll understand our needs in FA better by then. Meanwhile, Perry needs to clear some roster and salary.
cragganmor

Postby Koopa Troopa » July 10, 2018, 4:04 pm

big_j_NY wrote:
We're trying to groom Knox to be BETTER THAN Tobias Harris.

Bringing in Harris just destroys that point in all together...............we don't want Knox to become Harris, AND WE DON'T WANT HARRIS HERE ANYWAY.

No more Tobias Harris/Michael Beasley/Corey Maggette type of forwards on this team, PLSSS

Agreed. Sounds like a waste of money. Knox is looking like the real deal. You got Lance as the backup SF. Im OK with that.

I get that a lot of you guys wanna be losers but im good on signing total scrubs, we already have enough of those. Save the money for a megastar.
Koopa Troopa

PreviousNext

Return to New York Knicks