Knicks 2018 cap situation (including 2019 outlook)

Discuss New York Knicks news, current events, players, and history.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv

taowave
Likes given: 817

In the right system with the right players(Durant),Frank is fine...He just cant be a liability on offense

Play D,put up 10 and 6+ which should be easy flanked with KP and Durant...

jpebike wrote:
Frank as the point guard? No way. We need at least a Bledsoe. Move KP to the 5 and play Vonleh at 4. Mitch will not be ready next year but I love his potential.
NYGM
Likes given: 473

Rusty La Rue wrote: I agree that it might be to early for Mitch to be a starter next season... but I do like the idea of having so many good agile shot blockers on the floor with Mitch, KP and even KD... But sure Vonleh could be the starter until Mitch is ready... again you might be right that it is also to early for Ntilikina... but the perspective on D is just too :drool: If Frank can get confidence in his shot him and Dot will get so many open looks with all the double teams KP and KD would face that scoring shouldn't be an issues with that lineup and if you then consider the backcourt D those two could provide it could get real interesting... Sure both Mitch and Frank need to mature a lot... but I just like that lineup on both ends of the floor...
Defense is so valuable right now.. Defenders can and will impact games.. With KP, Frank, Dot, Noah and Mitch your defense get to a level than most teams would have hard time going against that..

Also like Tao said, with KP and some player or KD's caliber distributing the ball wont be much of an issue IMO.. Guys who are willing passers and have good vision like Frank could flourish under that circustances.. Other guys like Mitch could get so much room to make easy plays..
nazrmohamed
Likes given: 246

Well that and you gotta figure. Our max contract should be someone who is a playmaker. SHOULD BE if we've learned our lesson. Durant can pass, Kuwai can pass. Many of the lesser FAs aren't at that level scoring or defense wise respectively, but some of the guys I see are still decent playmakers. So my point is the passing may be collective.

Our PGs need to be better on thier own though. I ain't giving them a pass.
Rusty La Rue
Likes given: 794

Spree you need to clear something up for me... I read somewhere that we will only have around $30m in cap space with KP's cap hold and Trier's new contract... With a cap of $109m next season I cannot see how that adds up?

I have added all our contracts together including KP's cap hold at $17m (leaving out LT's non guarenteed contract but adding Trier's new deal at $3.5m) That leaves us around $71m used with a cap of $109m... that should be enough for KD's max... but of course there will be an issue with our lottery pick which will also create a cap hold... I guess what I am asking do we need to do anything more to be able to sign KD to a max or are we already good?

P.S. I also wanna move Lee but I have always thought of that deal to create flexibility for players such a Vonleh or Mudiay etc.
2023 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
2020 Co-NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
"Everybody gets excited about youth except the coach, because he knows youth means mistakes, mistakes mean losses, losses means you're fired."
spree#8
Likes given: 540

The answer is in the OP. Keeping Trier costs us 2.6m. Dotson 0.7m. Subtract that from my example in the OP and you are at 29.4m cap space. I assumed the eighth pick in that example, so the actual space becomes less if we get a higher pick.

So we still have to make a decision on Lee. I am fine though, because KD is a big pipe dream. You could get close to his max by waiving and stretching Lee if you don't find a trade though.
#knickstape
Rusty La Rue

spree#8 wrote:The answer is in the OP. Keeping Trier costs us 2.6m. Dotson 0.7m. Subtract that from my example in the OP and you are at 29.4m cap space. I assumed the eighth pick in that example, so the actual space becomes less if we get a higher pick.

So we still have to make a decision on Lee. I am fine though, because KD is a big pipe dream. You could get close to his max by waiving and stretching Lee if you don't find a trade though.
Thanks Spree... and I can see it was all there in your original post... I will start there the next time I am a little confused...
"Everybody gets excited about youth except the coach, because he knows youth means mistakes, mistakes mean losses, losses means you're fired."
spree#8

I will also start the 2019 thread in the next few days with the updated base scenario. For now: if you add a player and want to know the remaining cap space, just add the salary and subtract 900k for one less roster charge until you have 12 active players on the roster.
#knickstape
Rusty La Rue

spree#8 wrote:I will also start the 2019 thread in the next few days with the updated base scenario. For now: if you add a player and want to know the remaining cap space, just add the salary and subtract 900k for one less roster charge until you have 12 active players on the roster.
:thumbsup:
spree#8

2019 version is live with tons of examples. ;) viewtopic.php?f=1&t=40398#p737750
#knickstape
KnicksRUs
Likes given: 0

Random, but I was just thinking about when we amnestied Billups and signed 2 trick pony Tyson Chandler. Only to realize later that season that it would've been REAAAALLLLY nice to have saved that amnesty for STAT's rapid decline and keeping Billups for his leadership. Once we had STAT on our books with no production is where everything started to go downhill.
"I hate them" - Stugotz
nazrmohamed
Likes given: 246

KnicksRUs wrote:Random, but I was just thinking about when we amnestied Billups and signed 2 trick pony Tyson Chandler. Only to realize later that season that it would've been REAAAALLLLY nice to have saved that amnesty for STAT's rapid decline and keeping Billups for his leadership. Once we had STAT on our books with no production is where everything started to go downhill.
:clap:
dcapodic
Likes given: 0

KnicksRUs wrote:Random, but I was just thinking about when we amnestied Billups and signed 2 trick pony Tyson Chandler. Only to realize later that season that it would've been REAAAALLLLY nice to have saved that amnesty for STAT's rapid decline and keeping Billups for his leadership. Once we had STAT on our books with no production is where everything started to go downhill.
It started earlier than that, of this there is little doubt.

....and to this day, people will continue to say, "You have to make that trade...."....anyway....just another great example of why, when you start down a rebuilding path you need to stick with the plan, not go for the shiny objects along the way.

My "random" thought of the day....the centerpiece of the above mentioned trade is now out of the league, whereas just one piece of the sacrificed bounty is averaging 19/5/2 on a currrently playoff postioned team. Yea, he will never amount to anything.
- Me being the resident optimist around this cesspool of doom and gloom, StevoStarks, circa 2019