Knicks 2018 cap situation (including 2019 outlook)

Discuss New York Knicks news, current events, players, and history.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv, cru77jones

Re: Knicks 2018 cap situation (including 2019 outlook)

Postby Don Che » July 19, 2018, 4:54 am

the east isnt enticing either lol

im perfectly good with giving Knox and Tim full reign this year to put up 20 every night.

we are one of those teams that a good player can look great this year. with Knox....hes a pup and will get beat up at times but as long as his motor is high. attacks the rim and gets out in transition I'm good.

Tim I'm looking at his defense and consistency . I dont wanna hear any excuses for this guy if he puts up 15-17 points a game in this situation. last year KP had to eat and he got hurt. this year this team is all his and if hes worth being a core player he has to look like an all star out there. another thread someone said butler looked good on bad teams.....Tim gotta be that guy for us this year. hes in his prime years so let's see what he can do.

another question need answering is the PG situation. Frank doesnt need to be Gary Payton but he needs to at least beat out trey and mudiay. also depending how Tim does(if he fails) Frank could be our avery Bradley also.

I'm hype to see the kids rise or crash but I just want some answers before KP comes back.
Don Che

Postby cragganmor » July 19, 2018, 10:42 am

If frank posts 12 ppg, 6 apg, plays disruptive d, then he's the starter. Make a world of difference from last season.

Fiz will push a high octane offense. A scorer has to score; THJ, trey and Mario gotta put up numbers as vets.
cragganmor

Postby StevoStarks » July 19, 2018, 11:52 am

Don Che wrote:the east isnt enticing either lol

im perfectly good with giving Knox and Tim full reign this year to put up 20 every night.

we are one of those teams that a good player can look great this year. with Knox....hes a pup and will get beat up at times but as long as his motor is high. attacks the rim and gets out in transition I'm good.

Tim I'm looking at his defense and consistency . I dont wanna hear any excuses for this guy if he puts up 15-17 points a game in this situation. last year KP had to eat and he got hurt. this year this team is all his and if hes worth being a core player he has to look like an all star out there. another thread someone said butler looked good on bad teams.....Tim gotta be that guy for us this year. hes in his prime years so let's see what he can do.

another question need answering is the PG situation. Frank doesnt need to be Gary Payton but he needs to at least beat out trey and mudiay. also depending how Tim does(if he fails) Frank could be our avery Bradley also.

I'm hype to see the kids rise or crash but I just want some answers before KP comes back.

Just let them chuck their chucker hearts out.
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
- Dr. Seuss

"Woody was the perfect coach for these mutts."
- taowave

"Is he REALLY injured?? A part of me doesnt believe that he is and I think he's just being a bitch. Bitch-nani."
- rynyk222
StevoStarks
Writer

Postby Don Che » July 20, 2018, 10:38 am

a lot of good players become them by letting it fly and reviewing their game after the fact.

while i like Knox a lot....hes not ready to really contribute to a winning team. He needs a post game...needs to work the pivot.

Hes a classic young guy....if you let him run and pick up steam your cooked. If you slow the game down he'll get lost unless hes spot shooting.

so let him get his spots all over the floor and let him get knocked to thefloor.
Don Che

Postby cragganmor » July 20, 2018, 5:00 pm

Both him and MRob feast in transition. I'd like to see Knox get super comfortable running pnr to get him moving to the cup.
cragganmor

Postby NewlyKnicked » July 25, 2018, 3:51 am

Because it's been a while tsince we closed this debate: https://dailyknicks.com/2018/07/24/new- ... rdaway-jr/

The author defends THJ and even him says:

"In the end, Hardaway inked a four-year deal worth roughly $71 million with the Knicks—$26 million above the offer that Atlanta was expected to provide him with. One could certainly debate whether or not team president Steve Mills should’ve paid such a hefty price. New York needed to offer more than the Hawks were willing to pay, but increasing the figure by more than $6 million per year was debatable."

71 - 26 = 45...

Damn fake journalist reports and their carefully estimated numbers !!
2017 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
NewlyKnicked

Postby Don Che » August 2, 2018, 9:52 am

Frank Tim Mario Knox Noah(I think he takes Kanters spot)

1. i dont know where KP fits into that when he returns
2. i do know that team can all run
3. multiple playmakers
4. fun team to watch
Don Che

Postby H20Knick » August 2, 2018, 11:23 am

Don Che wrote:Frank Tim Mario Knox Noah(I think he takes Kanters spot)

1. i dont know where KP fits into that when he returns
2. i do know that team can all run
3. multiple playmakers
4. fun team to watch

why on earth is kanter losing his spot to joahkim noah in your scenario.

sure, fiz likes defense... but mr "i want all 5 guys on the floor to take 3s" isn't going to trot out joahkim noah for heavy minutes. Fizdale is the same guy that benched Tony Allen and eventually had him out of town.
Fort Knox. Hard Knox. Knock Knox. It doesn't matter. Hall of Fame in 20.

2018 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION
2015 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION
H20Knick

Postby Don Che » August 2, 2018, 1:00 pm

Fiz loves 3's....but he also loves defense and passing.

Kanter had a alley in Jeff from his Utah days and were he has it won is scoring but hes not a pick and pop scorer, he scores in the areas we want our wings to score and can't pass off the high post.....I think Fiz only has an inclination for Knox/KP/Tim ...little bit of Mario since Perry drafted him in 2015.

someone posted..maybe it was you the overall defensive metrics with Kanter and it was just miserable across the board.

that center position is an interesting one. Kanter/Noah/Luke/Mitch.....If its a free for all. I think Noah has a chance. Ppl think he didnt play last year because of injuries or he sucks...it was because of a rift with Jeff(if its right or wrong is another situation). Noah at his worst...and i mean flat out dead worst the Rose/Melo year is a better defender than Kanter was last year. Just as good of a rebounding and comparing them as passers is not even worth extending on. TBH i didnt see us lose games because of him that year...it was Melo/Rose taking turns and closing players out while being negative defenders and the rest cleaning it up.

While its about shooting 3's...its gonna be more about defense...Tony Allen at the 2 not shooting the 3 is very different than a 5 not shooting the 3 especially when you have a 3 wing line up that all can shoot the 3. Udonis Haslem didnt shoot 3's either:

"Everyone expects us to take a few punches this year because we have a new team and Kristaps is injured," Fizdale said. "Perhaps we cannot always ensure we will score the ball, but we can definitely develop good defense. I want to play a lot of transition basketball, play fast, but the only way to do this is to have a good defense first."
Don Che

Postby rebound » August 2, 2018, 3:13 pm

kanter and noah are both Knicks for only this season. i'd be shocked if noah ended up better than kanter though.
Team Mills
rebound

Postby Red » August 2, 2018, 8:10 pm

The answer is obvious: it's money makin' Mitch then everyone else. And like I said in the other thread about thj (that should be merged) if Kanter can't play defense he can't start. Do the math.

We would love nothing more than a motivated Noah in the fold, to boost his trade value of course, but the odds are low. I'd give him a 36% chance of starting. 45 if he comes into camp in shape and ready.
The thing that separates good from great is consistency.- Red
Red

Postby Rusty La Rue » August 3, 2018, 2:07 am

Don Che wrote:Ppl think he didnt play last year because of injuries or he sucks...it was because of a rift with Jeff(if its right or wrong is another situation).

Who are those people? Everybody on here knows about the rift with Jeff... The real questions is was he injury free because he didn't play? I have no confidence in Noah's ability to stay healthy... the kid is done...
"Everybody gets excited about youth except the coach, because he knows youth means mistakes, mistakes mean losses, losses means you're fired."
Rusty La Rue

Postby spree#8 » August 3, 2018, 3:53 am

This is a thread for anything cap related, so it shouldn't be merged with roster discussions. Maybe we should discuss the latter in the appropriate thread.
#knickstape
spree#8

Postby Don Che » August 3, 2018, 6:45 am

agreed Red ...Mitch is the end game. but idt he has the body to start out the gate....maybe next to a stretch 5 ....would pay to see how him and KP work on the floor
Don Che

Postby spree#8 » August 29, 2018, 4:59 am

OP is updated to include some exact numbers for 2019 including a calculation how to create 2 max spots. Even more ugly than I had roughly thrown out, because roster charges and rookie scale salaries are increasing to higher numbers than I had in mind.
#knickstape
spree#8

Postby Rusty La Rue » August 29, 2018, 7:02 am

spree#8 wrote:OP is updated to include some exact numbers for 2019 including a calculation how to create 2 max spots. Even more ugly than I had roughly thrown out, because roster charges and rookie scale salaries are increasing to higher numbers than I had in mind.

Yeah I think you are right... I believe the only way to get 2 max players next summer is a sign&trade for one of them... where we move for example Noah and LT + draft picks... the issue with that deal is that we need to find a team that is in total rebuild mode and that has a top FA that the Knicks want (and that wants the knicks)... I mean I would love to get Jimmy Butler in such a deal but I do not see the T'Wolves doing such a deal unless KAT wants to leave...
"Everybody gets excited about youth except the coach, because he knows youth means mistakes, mistakes mean losses, losses means you're fired."
Rusty La Rue

Postby Don Che » September 3, 2018, 11:01 am

best to be patient

weird things happen in the year and you need to be flexible. that's why I wouldn't stretch Noah unless I KNOW hes the difference btwn getting a superstar and not
Don Che

Postby StevoStarks » September 4, 2018, 12:13 pm

Don Che wrote:best to be patient

weird things happen in the year and you need to be flexible. that's why I wouldn't stretch Noah unless I KNOW hes the difference btwn getting a superstar and not

Exactly. And we can't afford 2 max players next summer anyways, so why do it? Get this guy off the books after next season and think long term.
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
- Dr. Seuss

"Woody was the perfect coach for these mutts."
- taowave

"Is he REALLY injured?? A part of me doesnt believe that he is and I think he's just being a bitch. Bitch-nani."
- rynyk222
StevoStarks
Writer

Postby spree#8 » October 15, 2018, 12:44 pm

OP updated (the 2019 outlook) after Noah got waived and stretched. We are now in position to create a max slot for guys with up to 9 years NBA experience through waiving Lance Thomas (who could be resigned later on). This should help in future trade discussions, because we don't have pressure to make an outside move to create that slot, so other teams don't have that leverage when we call.
#knickstape
spree#8

Postby cragganmor » November 17, 2018, 8:07 am

After the trade deadline, I'd give Tarik Black a call; still only 26 and always a competent defender/rebounder at the 5, should be available for the vet min.
cragganmor

PreviousNext

Return to New York Knicks