Knicks 2018 cap situation (including 2019 outlook)

Discuss New York Knicks news, current events, players, and history.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv, cru77jones

Re: Knicks 2018 cap situation

Postby NewlyKnicked » February 21, 2018, 8:26 am

spree#8 wrote:Of course the expectation is that he gets the max no matter what. The important question for us is whether he signs that max contract BEFORE the start of next season (rookie extension) or in 2019. If he is willing to sign his max contract in 2019, we could go the Kawhi Leonard route and have more money to go after outside free agents, because his cap hold should be eight figures under his max. For his camp it still makes sense to push on that extension - if he wants to remain with the Knicks - because he could have another major injury in a worst case. That's how most sports agencies act: get as much guaranteed money as early as possible - especially when it comes to injuries.

Embiid is a good example exactly for that.

Joel did get the max but Philly also included protections in case he suffers specific catastrophic injuries (mostly concerning his back and feet which are already concerns). I get that Embiid has been more injury prone than KP, but we may want to include some of that in KP's contract as well, rookie extension or not.
2017 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
NewlyKnicked

Postby gradyandrew » February 21, 2018, 9:31 am

Good points Newlyknicked.
This is a FAN page that relies on its members for content and commentary. So don't be a lurker, be a POSTER, even if it's just a picture of a fat guy eating a hamburger.
gradyandrew

Postby gradyandrew » February 24, 2018, 4:30 am

spree#8 wrote:Of course the expectation is that he gets the max no matter what. The important question for us is whether he signs that max contract BEFORE the start of next season (rookie extension) or in 2019. If he is willing to sign his max contract in 2019, we could go the Kawhi Leonard route and have more money to go after outside free agents, because his cap hold should be eight figures under his max. For his camp it still makes sense to push on that extension - if he wants to remain with the Knicks - because he could have another major injury in a worst case. That's how most sports agencies act: get as much guaranteed money as early as possible - especially when it comes to injuries.

Embiid is a good example exactly for that.

My thinking is that KP doesn't even play at all next season. If that's the case then the risk of getting another serious injury are almost zero, unless he decides to go bowling.
This is a FAN page that relies on its members for content and commentary. So don't be a lurker, be a POSTER, even if it's just a picture of a fat guy eating a hamburger.
gradyandrew

Postby gradyandrew » February 27, 2018, 7:38 am

I think KOQ's decision whether to opt out or not will ultimately come down to this: how much is he making at his weekend job entertaining at Bar Mitzvahs?
gradyandrew

Postby NewlyKnicked » February 27, 2018, 10:22 am

Here is a list of the contracts centers signed all over the league in 2017:
Nerlens Noel: 1 yr(s) / $4,187,598 $4,187,598/yr
Pau Gasol: 3 yr(s) / $48,000,000 $16,000,000/yr
Kelly Olynyk: 4 yr(s) / $50,000,000 $12,500,000/yr
Mason Plumlee: 3 yr(s) / $41,000,000 $13,666,667/yr
Nene: 3 yr(s) / $10,954,440 $3,651,480/yr
Dewayne Dedmon: 2 yr(s) / $14,100,000 $7,050,000/yr
Marreese Speights: 1 yr(s) / $2,116,955 $2,116,955/yr
Alex Len: 1 yr(s) / $4,187,598 $4,187,598/yr
Cristiano Feliciano: 4 yr(s) / $32,000,000 $8,000,000/yr
Mike Muscala: 2 yr(s) / $10,000,000 $5,000,000/yr
Zaza Pachulia: 1 yr(s) / $3,477,600 $3,477,600/yr
Alan Williams: 3 yr(s) / $17,000,000 $5,666,667/yr
Joffrey Lauvergne: 2 yr(s) / $3,180,397 $1,590,198/yr
Aron Baynes: 1 yr(s) / $4,328,000 $4,328,000/yr

I think the market for bigs should go even further down, esp for those not able to space the floor.
If they opt out:
- KoQ may be able to find something along the lines of 3yrs/$15mil at best.
- Enes should be more valuable than most of those guys except Gasol (although Idk why the Spurs paid so much for him). He can aim towards something like Olynyk/Plumlee
NewlyKnicked

Postby NewlyKnicked » February 27, 2018, 10:25 am

Damnit the spaces between the columns went out when posting... sorry about that
NewlyKnicked

Postby Don Che » April 6, 2018, 12:11 pm

i think enes will stay or go to a playoff team but we better not bid with ourselves

question tho: if Kyle and Kanter go....how much cap space do we have?

can we offer Mario/Looney a cheap deal?
Don Che

Postby spree#8 » April 6, 2018, 1:01 pm

Don Che wrote:i think enes will stay or go to a playoff team but we better not bid with ourselves

question tho: if Kyle and Kanter go....how much cap space do we have?

can we offer Mario/Looney a cheap deal?

If both opt out and we don't resign any of them we would be roughly 20 mill under the cap. I would offer at least one of them a deal at which I like them long-term then though, unless we can do real damage with the cap space. If we stretch Noah we could even create a max slot for a player with 0-9 seasons in the league, although I doubt that such an opportunity presents itself to us with KPs injury and us becoming young.

We can offer Mario/Looney cheap deals anyway.
#knickstape
spree#8

Postby Don Che » April 6, 2018, 3:01 pm

perfect...i dont want to throw real money at anyone.

Julius Randle is the only maybe...but im good with young talent on cheap deals.
Don Che

Postby cragganmor » April 6, 2018, 10:39 pm

We need more plus defenders on this roster; don't need to spend buckets. Even a journeyman like Bah Moute would have helped us; a reliable 15 mpg 3 & D type.
cragganmor

Postby gradyandrew » April 7, 2018, 10:25 am

KOQ has proven this season that he belongs in the nba. Faced with stiff competition for playing time, KOQ upped his game and was a reliable contributor. For the entire season he stayed healthy and was focused on court. Especially at home games he loves to energize the crowd. Two areas of his game improved especially this season, blocks and assists. Kyle became a much more nimble blocker this season. His trademark move was to switch onto the guard in a pick and roll and bait the guy into shooting an off balance floater that Kyle could go vertical and swat.
Last season Kyle started to show some real flare passing up court on the break after rebounding, but his evolution as a passer and general offensive facilitator have improved immensely. He does handoffs, picks, passes through traffic, behind the back, jumpers, drives to the basket, hockey assist 3 pointers. Kyle seems to have hit his ceiling; he doesn't have an extra gear to kick it into and struggles going more than 20 minutes a game. The fact that the Knicks suck also should depress his salary nevertheless he'll opt out and will end up getting paid.
gradyandrew

Postby NYGM » April 7, 2018, 6:59 pm

Don Che wrote:perfect...i dont want to throw real money at anyone.

Julius Randle is the only maybe...but im good with young talent on cheap deals.

Randle looks like a great fit..
NYGM

Postby PistolPete » April 7, 2018, 6:59 pm

We need a Center who challengers defenders at the rim. Kanter's 0.5 career average for Blocks just ain't going to cut it. Atrocious actually.
PistolPete

Postby rebound » April 7, 2018, 9:37 pm

Give me a roster of

burke
tim
frank
randle
kornet

mudiay
dotson
lee
rookie
noah

baker
lance
hicks or some other undrafted player
bulls 2nd round pick
kp

but sadly we are going to have to accept Kanter coming back instead of Randle.
Team Mills
rebound

Postby Championship 16/17 » April 8, 2018, 1:19 am

gradyandrew wrote:KOQ has proven this season that he belongs in the nba. Faced with stiff competition for playing time, KOQ upped his game and was a reliable contributor. For the entire season he stayed healthy and was focused on court. Especially at home games he loves to energize the crowd. Two areas of his game improved especially this season, blocks and assists. Kyle became a much more nimble blocker this season. His trademark move was to switch onto the guard in a pick and roll and bait the guy into shooting an off balance floater that Kyle could go vertical and swat.
Last season Kyle started to show some real flare passing up court on the break after rebounding, but his evolution as a passer and general offensive facilitator have improved immensely. He does handoffs, picks, passes through traffic, behind the back, jumpers, drives to the basket, hockey assist 3 pointers. Kyle seems to have hit his ceiling; he doesn't have an extra gear to kick it into and struggles going more than 20 minutes a game. The fact that the Knicks suck also should depress his salary nevertheless he'll opt out and will end up getting paid.

If I had to pick resigning Kyle or Kanter, I'm picking Kyle. Especially if someone like Bamba OR JJJ drops to us. That would make me very very happy b/c I think Kanter is a con artist. (Just my personal opinion)

If a big does drop from the top 6, I would sign Japari Parker and Kyle OQuinn, if Kanter opts out. That's a legit small Forward that knicks fans been missing. He is a mix between Paul Pierce and Carmelo Anthony, still young at 23 years old. If he can stay healthy and get crafty on defense like Pierce and Melo(when he wants to play defense), this kid will be a top 5 SF in 4 years. He is the next crop, if he can stay healthy and those knees get stronger, like I said, still very young.
Last edited by Championship 16/17 on April 8, 2018, 1:40 am, edited 3 times in total.
Championship 16/17

Postby Championship 16/17 » April 8, 2018, 1:20 am

PistolPete wrote:We need a Center who challengers defenders at the rim. Kanter's 0.5 career average for Blocks just ain't going to cut it. Atrocious actually.

Agreed!
Championship 16/17

Postby gradyandrew » April 8, 2018, 2:16 am

Kanter just changed agents, seems like a sign that he will opt out.
gradyandrew

Postby NYGM » April 8, 2018, 8:32 am

Parker scares the hell out of me.. The guy is one injury away from disaster..
NYGM

Postby Championship 16/17 » April 8, 2018, 9:04 am

NYGM wrote:Parker scares the hell out of me.. The guy is one injury away from disaster..

Everybody is one injury from disaster, but I get what your saying. How many NBA player's has had 3 ALC surgeries? My guess is, very little. This 2nd one might be the last for Parker, who knows, and we can finally sea what he matures to.

Random thought, most stud players from Chicago tear their ACL, I wonder if there is any research in that. All I know is I'm never draft ing a player from Chicago, let another team deal with that setback in their early years.
Championship 16/17

Postby taowave » April 8, 2018, 10:41 am

Champ,you are the best in the business at the college draft,but get Parker out of your noggin..

Let's see how KP's ACL is before doubling down on Parker.
taowave

PreviousNext

Return to New York Knicks