Are we winning the Melo trade?

Discuss New York Knicks news, current events, players, and history.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv

n8 the gr8
Likes given: 158

You're not including the picks we traded nonon. :hmm:
"dam,we got a crier"
~tao

"Throw Payton out and get it over with. I'm getting hungry."
~Clyde
Ari_Ingus
Likes given: 0

I love Canter, I love Doug. Win for sure in my eyes
Nononsense

n8 the gr8 wrote:You're not including the picks we traded nonon. :hmm:
I'm also not including the fact that we ended up with KP with the route we took and the record we posted. There are lots of variables to consider, but the only thing that really matters is this: We're better off presently and moving forward than we were with Gallo/Chandler/Felton/Mozgov, and we're better off than we were with Melo. That's the bottom line. We have all our picks in tact moving forward, so we're better off with where we are now as opposed to then.
Don Che
Likes given: 9

^^^^^ post of the year Non

ppl that dont see that fact..just dont know team structure.

even if we end up with the 10th pick this year aka good enough to not be the bottom 5 but not good enough to be in the playoffs kinda like the worst of all worlds.

we are still 100% better moving forward than the prior situations this century in this organization
KRL

The trade has been a slam dunk win for the Knicks, only a fool would want
Anthony back. Kanter & McDermott are giving us 22 points and 13 rebounds
a game on top of:

- Active defense
- Low post offense
- 3 pt shooting
- Offensive rebounding
- Movement without the ball
- Someone who takes the physical pounding off Porzingis
- A Oakley/Mason enforcer who will stand up for teammates

And both of them are only 25 years old
n8 the gr8
Likes given: 158

Nononsense wrote:I'm also not including the fact that we ended up with KP with the route we took and the record we posted. There are lots of variables to consider, but the only thing that really matters is this: We're better off presently and moving forward than we were with Gallo/Chandler/Felton/Mozgov, and we're better off than we were with Melo. That's the bottom line. We have all our picks in tact moving forward, so we're better off with where we are now as opposed to then.
You could also say that the Knicks would have been in a position to draft Porzingis if it wasn't for the Eddy Curry trade because then we would've had a young Aldridge and Noah and would have won too many games for KP that year. You can't argue that it's not true but it just wasn't part of the thought process for anyone when the trade happened.
Just saying Dario Saric would be nice to have on the roster. He's not a Knick as a direct consequence of the trade. KP is here as a very indirect consequence.
"dam,we got a crier"
~tao

"Throw Payton out and get it over with. I'm getting hungry."
~Clyde
Nononsense

n8 the gr8 wrote:You could also say that the Knicks would have been in a position to draft Porzingis if it wasn't for the Eddy Curry trade because then we would've had a young Aldridge and Noah and would have won too many games for KP that year. You can't argue that it's not true but it just wasn't part of the thought process for anyone when the trade happened.
Just saying Dario Saric would be nice to have on the roster. He's not a Knick as a direct consequence of the trade. KP is here as a very indirect consequence.
The butterfly effect can indeed be a messy, bottomless rabbit hole, so let's just keep it simple and stick strictly with the immediacy of the thread question. Yes, we're winning the Melo trade simply because we're better now with Kanter & McDermott than we were with Melo, AND the Thunder are worse now with Melo than they were with Kanter & McDermott. PLUS, we have a second round draft pick out of the deal too. It's really that simple.
gradyandrew

Koopa, there was a stretch vs. LAC a few into the 2nd quarter of Enes with the bench. LAC went on an 8-0 run. And that's not even the reason I disagree with EK being featured with the second unit. I think he is just more talented than the rest of the centers, and the potential for the EKP pairing has the highest ceiling. EK has gotten much better at defense already, so I think there's hope that they can become better passers too.
Randle in the Rafters
gradyandrew

The 72-year-old also admitted he was against trading Carmelo Anthony, but admitted he should have adapted his style of play to benefit the rest of the players around him.

"I thought they should've kept him, but I also thought he should've tried to be more of a team player," Frazier said. "I always told him he should have been a 20/10/5 guy. But he wanted the 28, 29 points, not the rebounds, not getting guys involved."
https://www.sny.tv/knicks/news/walt-cly ... /262371890

Coming from Walt that actually means a lot. I always thought Melo did what he had to, but Walt saying that makes me feel better about what went down.
Randle in the Rafters
taowave
Likes given: 817

The real question is how Badly is OKC losing the Melo trade..they look awful...
cragganmor
Likes given: 93

taowave wrote:The real question is how Badly is OKC losing the Melo trade..they look awful...
will look even worse as he ages, unless he figures out how to reinvent his game
Don Che

OKC is 8-12 ...i wonder if/when they feel a need of concern. Most superteams take time but if this is happening into the new year its alarming

Knicks are running through a rough patch also but i havent gotten the idea that we have maxed out this roster just yet.

Lee, Jack and Kanter are the only guys that i think is playing out of their minds.

Tim isnt scoring a ton but hes doing all the little things which im good with. He can score 13 one day 20 another and 32 on another but hes consistently been int he 5 rebounds/4assists range with solid defense.

Frank hasnt hit his groove yet

Doug seems like he can hit another level

Dotson hasnt played but shows a lot of promise when he does

Kyle is what he is

KP started hot but hasnt hit 3's...then he cooled down and started hitting 3's....we still havent seen him get hot mid range and long range yet...dude will look like a cheat code

we also have won games playing defense in spurts as a team we havent committed for 48 minutes...hell barely 24.

what im saying is....no one had us playing .500 ball but i can easily see this squad get better as a unit.

Frank/Dotson can easily match or surpass Jack/lee

I can see Noah bring a lot of energy to the bench and bring more than what Kyle has brought so far.

KP can hit another stride.

team isnt talented but we've beat some solid teams working together.
Nononsense

Melo is a loser who plays loser basketball. His apologists mask this truth with excuses of him not get respect from the refs, not having the right coach/system, not having the right talent around him, etc. But the bottom line is he's a loser. Plain & simple. There, I said it.
Don Che

i didnt see the game but Aaron Gordon went pure warfare on OKC last night.....hope we can neutralize him on Sunday
taowave
Likes given: 817

Not sure what he does over the summer,but it's working.went from a 29 percent 3 pt shooter to 44 percent...

Guys a beast
Don Che wrote:i didnt see the game but Aaron Gordon went pure warfare on OKC last night.....hope we can neutralize him on Sunday
gradyandrew

taowave wrote:The real question is how Badly is OKC losing the Melo trade..they look awful...
:LOL:
Third time I read this and it's still hilarious. Subtraction by addition.
Randle in the Rafters
DrJ6

I was a Carmelo supporter. I still wish him well as he seems to be a likeable guy. Blaming him alone for OKC's struggles is probably not fair. But guys who were advocating his departure from the Knicks just for the sake of it were right. Are we winning the Melo trade? No doubt. We gave them Cancer for Kanter and they still added McBuckets as a throw-in (who I thought was 1-dimensional 3-pt bomber but he is much more than that).
"Tom Thibodeau had a great saying about our teams in New York: 'Maybe beaten, never out-competed.'"
NewlyKnicked
Likes given: 160

The Pacers fans must have the exact same thread with the exact same conclusions :LOL:
2017 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
2020 Co-NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
2021 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
dcapodic

Nononsense wrote: The butterfly effect can indeed be a messy, bottomless rabbit hole, so let's just keep it simple and stick strictly with the immediacy of the thread question. Yes, we're winning the Melo trade simply because we're better now with Kanter & McDermott than we were with Melo, AND the Thunder are worse now with Melo than they were with Kanter & McDermott. PLUS, we have a second round draft pick out of the deal too. It's really that simple.
Non, I think i get the point you were initially trying to make but it is just time to stop trying to, in any way, rationalize the "original" Melo trade. It took the organization off a path similar to what it is on today and sent it into a stinkhole that it is still trying to dig out from. That people still defend that trade in any way, shape or form is just beyond me. If anything, this recent trade of Melo to OKC and the resulting play of both he squads involved just furthers the proof.

Butterfly effect :) It's more like the Mothra effect to try and piece together any semblance of defense for the original Melo trade.
- Me being the resident optimist around this cesspool of doom and gloom, StevoStarks, circa 2019
dcapodic

Don Che wrote:^^^^^ post of the year Non

ppl that dont see that fact..just dont know team structure.

even if we end up with the 10th pick this year aka good enough to not be the bottom 5 but not good enough to be in the playoffs kinda like the worst of all worlds.

we are still 100% better moving forward than the prior situations this century in this organization
Seriously? This is what you choose as the post of the year?!? I have great respect for Non as a poster but for this line of logic, I think he swung and missed badly. You have no idea, repeat NO IDEA what would have happened had the original Melo trade not been made. They had a young core of players that were playing just as well at the time as this squad....a "Coach of the year" Coach....were VERY exciting to watch and to your point about today's team, had their picks moving froward. They gave all of that up for the stinkhole that has been this team for many years now. Want to further the point, look what trading Melo off the knicks has meant to the overall feel of this franchise. There is an excitement, there is hope, there is chemistry, there is hustle and at least the attempt at defense, etc.

Melo is gone, let's just drop the Melo talk and move on. If anyone wants to keep defending him or the trade, knock yourselves out and have fun with that.
- Me being the resident optimist around this cesspool of doom and gloom, StevoStarks, circa 2019