Why does Melo never put any blame on himself?

Discuss New York Knicks news, current events, players, and history.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv

ISIAH_THOMAS
Likes given: 52

basically blames the team for his failures here

In the end:

1) He pushed to come to NY
2) He made them give up everything
3) He didn't have to , team would of been much stronger if he came in Free Agency
4) He did it for money
5) That's fine, but its on him
Fxck Adam Silver
nazrmohamed
Likes given: 246

1-he did push to come here and there will be more that will. If you run that narrative then just be prepared to hate every single one of them for that exact reason. It would only be fair. Apparently fans should only support players signed in free agency or drafted but they don't even do that right as you'll see next.

2-In reality, the team you love hasn't been contenders in 2 decades, seemingly always make bad moves, never wins trades and overpay everyone we sign in free agency.....and 8/10 times will draft the wrong player. If I'm lying someone tell me. So no, Melo didn't make the Knicks give up anybody. We just did what we normally do and probably would've done the same for any of the targets we went after that year, Deron Williams included (although that might've made more sense at least from a Dantoni perspective)

3- any scenario could've happened. It's ok to play Monday morning quarterback, we're fans. It's actually fun to play what if. But what if for Melo was a possible leaguewide reduction in all salary. People ignore how much that was being discussed. Any one of us would-be rather trade and extend than the unknown of free agency. Besides me having this discussion would involve me talking for another thread about the other pieces who came back in the trade and how we gave up the same amount of bodies....... and we've been there. I don't mind, but I know how much y'all hate it so let's just skip that whole farm for Memo argument. It's a farce. Chauncey Billups alone would've cost the Knicks one of Gallinary or Chandler and if it's Chandler it would've warranted a pic.....damn I'm doing it already.

4- Every player does it for money. For some reason Memo is the poster boy for money meanwhile about 20 players make more money at this time. At the time he was traded he made 15mil dollars, with the extension he made 18 and wasn't even the highest paid player on this team. You know who was? Oh yeah, Amare Stoudemire who cheesed his way into having the Knicks give him 20mil per season when doctors knew he'd only play 2 of 5 years. Somehow I've never heard anyone have a problem with Amares entrepreneurship, only the guy who actually attempted to earn it. Lost in all these conspiracy theories about Neil being evil, greedy and sabotaging is that Amare is the reason Melo wanted to play here. THATS WHAT MATTERED FOLKS. It was that pairing that any expectation you had for the Knicks was based on. And it should've died the day you realized Amare wasn't gonna live up to his end, dt injury of course. I do have a heart and understand it must've sucked for Amare. But fact remains all this talk of guys barely abetting 12pts on a rebuilding team is petty. The Knicks with Melo got as far as they ever would with a max player spending 70% of his time in a fine suit.

Lastly teams do this all the time. They have one max player and a bunch of young gems and trade those gems for a max player. Many times for the rest of that season they get by on the strength of those two players and don't see immediate success. The following year they backfill and replace thier depth. Nobody harps on the trade because everything falls into place. Difference is the Knicks lost the first max player and didn't do the best job with the backfilling. And Idk if I'd even say that cuz again, we lost Amare folks.

IT NEEDS TO BE EMPHASIZED MORE

Westbrook lost Durant and for all of Westbrooks triple doubles last year his success was just about as good as Melos first 3 years. Difference is the Thunder identified it, made wine out of water and the Knicks just did what they always do. Bottle up all thier problems in the last max player standing.
nazrmohamed
Likes given: 246

It'll be KPs fault someday that the Knicks can't build a good team.