Euro Basketball 2017 thread

Discuss New York Knicks news, current events, players, and history.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv

spree#8
Likes given: 540

Marc Gasol sitting with four fouls. Spain misses Rudy Fernandez badly. Nothing goes from the outside. Slovenia with great team basketball: 13 points up. Doncic's favorite pass BTW is the one into the weakside corner. Good court vision.
#knickstape
spree#8

Very interesting to see how every Slovenian player seems to "want it more". Five guys playing well.
#knickstape
spree#8

One negative on Doncic: he might have a bit of a flopper in him.
#knickstape
spree#8

Spain needs a hell of a finish not to get dethroned as Euro champion today. Down 16 points after three and M. Gasol one foul away from elimination. Doncic/Dragic together with just 2 points in the third quarter (without looking it up), but the team still went on a big run. Great defense, great teamplay.
#knickstape
spree#8

Gasol gets thrown out (5 fouls) for not letting a guy cut through the zone without getting bumped. Bad call.
#knickstape
spree#8

The official boxscore shows M. Gasol with 4 fouls instead of the five shown on TV, but it might not matter at all: Dragic with another three with the backboard. 21 point lead.
#knickstape
spree#8

Rubio demonstrating the good and the bad a few minutes back: great dribble skills, great passing, but when you need quick points, have an open lay-up and pass out to the three point line - it's a fail...
#knickstape
spree#8

20 point victory for Slovenia. Spain disappointing, but well, well done by Slovenia. Spain wasn't 20 points worse (Slovenia hit four lucky threes), but Slovenia was clearly the better team today. What a surprise! Looking forward to watch Doncic again in the final on Sunday (I think). Serbia or Russia the opponent. Should get extremely heated, especially if Serbia makes the final.
#knickstape
ISIAH_THOMAS
Likes given: 52

DONIC IS A STUD. He is worth tanking for . The new tank rule doesn't start until next season
Fxck Adam Silver
spree#8

ISIAH_THOMAS wrote:DONIC IS A STUD. He is worth tanking for . The new tank rule doesn't start until next season
He is definitely putting the bar for the college players next season higher with his EuroBasket play.
#knickstape
cragganmor
Likes given: 93

Doncic answered a lot of doubts. He still needs to improve his body, but no question about talent, skill, smarts, desire, length and effectiveness.
lxn_
Likes given: 0

I think Doncic would be a perfect fit next to KP and Frank. Also among the youngest in next years draft. Hows his defense though? havent watched complete games so far. But I really like his offensive game and playmaking skills.
lxn_

Ill start to google this kid bigtime lol. As much as Id like to get either bamba or ayton, we already have KP for that bigman role. Seems to me that Doncic is the dream pick in next years draft for us. Good relationship with KP, Frank and WHG already. His playmaking is really on another level, and he did it against nba caliber guys.
H20Knick
Likes given: 3

lxn_ wrote:I think Doncic would be a perfect fit next to KP and Frank. Also among the youngest in next years draft. Hows his defense though? havent watched complete games so far. But I really like his offensive game and playmaking skills.
he's pretty mediocre defensively. Not great instincts and he's slow. He's not disinterested in it, but I don't think he'll ever be a plus defender.

i think that's my biggest knock with the THJ signing and the idea of a Frank/THJ/KP/Willy core. There are already 2 mediocre defenders in that lineup. I don't think THJ is good enough to force you into build around his deficiencies. I'd say "okay, I need a lockdown 3 and D wing and a good rim protector to cover up Donkic's weaknesses because he brings so many advantages to the table" (the same way we should've done for Melo). I can't say "okay, I need a lockdown 3 and D wing and a good rim protector to cover up THJ's weaknesses".
In Thibs we trust.

2018 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION
2015 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION
cragganmor

agree, the right guy to compliment doncic is a lockdown d + efficient 3 ball shooter. maximize strengths on both sides of the ball. i think luka can get better on offense and defense, he's still a teenager, succeeding against grown nba-level talent.
lxn_

do you guys think Frank can be that lockdown D(I hope he becomes an efficient 3 shooter) guy?
they compliment each others game and address their weaknesses.
Doncic
pros- playmaking ability, bbiq, shooting
con-defense
Frank
pros- defense, physical gifts/maturity, his shooting touch from 3 looks really good so far
con- not that good of a playmaker yet,
cragganmor

frank is going to make life difficult for pg's with his 7 foot length and quickness, he's pretty silky with his j, needs to work on his slashing game/playmaking, but that is rawness could be mitigated by doncic. i think luka will be best as a point forward 3, as his quickness will top out quickly against sg's. put kp at the 5. get a pair of lockdown d + efficient 3ball shooters at 2 and 4 and that's a pretty damn good lineup in today's positionless game. at least, it's a lineup worth investing and letting them grow together, will never be boring.

thj isn't a great longterm fit given that sort of lineup, but he could be flipped for a better fitting player; i kinda view him as a good short term fit for someone that can score in the absence of melo.

ya know if thansis polished his game in europe, then he could be a pretty good fit for us a couple of years down the road.
spree#8

So it's Slovenia vs. Serbia tomorrow. Look out for Bogdan Bogdanovic on Serbia's side, who joins the Sacramento Kings this season after being one of the best shooting guards in Europe the last few years.
#knickstape
lxn_

ye. hope theres a livestream for that game. Want to see a whole game of Luka Doncic and not just highlights.
H20Knick
Likes given: 3

H20Knick wrote:just watched the 4th quarter...

luka fucking doncic. THIS KID IS 18 YEARS OLD.

We HAVE to tank.
i fucking hate this franchise
In Thibs we trust.

2018 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION
2015 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION