Knicks Sign Ramon Sessions

Discuss New York Knicks news, current events, players, and history.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv

NewlyKnicked
Likes given: 162

I was rooting for DWill but Sessions is ok for the mentor role who will help groom Frank, won't hurt the tank, won't make Melo wanna stay.

It doesn't matter Frank will quickly be better than Ramon. I'm sure Sessions has plenty of tricks in his bag to teach. He will mentor Frank on the work/life ethics of a pro NBA player and theoretical aspects of the NBA game. A personally closer, more hands-on coach if you will. Btw, Wall refers to Andre Miller as his mentor, so...
2017 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
2020 Co-NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
2021 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
taowave
Likes given: 843

Naz can't be happy when we could have had Jennings for 1.5 mil..

That's how much he signed for to start......in China
Championship 16/17
Likes given: 0

NewlyKnicked wrote:I was rooting for DWill but Sessions is ok for the mentor role who will help groom Frank, won't hurt the tank, won't make Melo wanna stay.

It doesn't matter Frank will quickly be better than Ramon. I'm sure Sessions has plenty of tricks in his bag to teach. He will mentor Frank on the work/life ethics of a pro NBA player and theoretical aspects of the NBA game. A personally closer, more hands-on coach if you will. Btw, Wall refers to Andre Miller as his mentor, so...
Andre Miller is not a scrub, he was a good player and respected by his peers. Isn't he top 10 in assist of all time, he was a borderline all-star depending on what year you looked at throughout his career. Ramon Sessions is a borderline D League player, probably was in the D League and fought his way back in the league, like Matt Barnes.

To me this is the same as let's get Sasha to mentor THJ.

And if we do get Kyrie, I don't want Sessions backing up Kyrie, I want to see Frank backing him up. This isn't the Cavs 4 years ago.
Don Che
Likes given: 9

Perfect back up for Frank....kyrie comes....frank can be our Avery Bradley and Ramon backs up kyrie
cragganmor
Likes given: 93

While we made a pitch for kyrie, i think mills & perry are focused on developing our core players. They want to be successful growing talent instead of habitually buying. It doesn't feel like they are going all out to land kyrie the way we went for melo.
rebound
Likes given: 1141

cragganmor wrote:While we made a pitch for kyrie, i think mills & perry are focused on developing our core players. They want to be successful growing talent instead of habitually buying. It doesn't feel like they are going all out to land kyrie the way we went for melo.

I'd like to hope so.

Especially with next summer's draft being viewed so highly.
TOM THIBODEAU'S NEW YORK KNICKS PRESENT:
HEROBALL. A STORY OF THE MID RANGE FADEAWAY JUMPER.
STARRING JALEN BUMSON AND DUBIOUS HANDLES.
H20Knick
Likes given: 3

rebound wrote:
Especially with next summer's draft being viewed so highly.
It's really top heavy though. We need to be in the top 5
In Thibs we trust.

2018 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION
2015 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION
big_j_NY
Likes given: 1127

rebound wrote:Especially with next summer's draft being viewed so highly.
H20Knick wrote:It's really top heavy though. We need to be in the top 5
:hmm:
big_j_NY wrote:This is why we need to commit to the REBUILD

[youtube]uu_Ejkd8N8E[/youtube]
H20Knick

If we're not going to make a play for Kyrie, we really need to consider just buying out Melo. We can't rebuild if we keep getting mediocre picks and we can't get good picks until we lose 60+ games.

If we're not getting a pick for Melo, then just buy him out. A top 3 pick in this draft is a lot more valuable than Bledsoe or Harkless or anyone else we're going to get back for Melo besides Kyrie.
In Thibs we trust.

n8 the gr8
Likes given: 167

big_j_NY wrote: :hmm:
I'm on board he really seems like the real deal.
H20Knick wrote:If we're not going to make a play for Kyrie, we really need to consider just buying out Melo. We can't rebuild if we keep getting mediocre picks and we can't get good picks until we lose 60+ games.

If we're not getting a pick for Melo, then just buy him out. A top 3 pick in this draft is a lot more valuable than Bledsoe or Harkless or anyone else we're going to get back for Melo besides Kyrie.
I hated this idea at first but I've come around to it. When you put it into the context of what's already happened it just seems absolutely ridiculous because it is but ultimately it's irrelevant (unless your name is Phil Jackson and you brought this upon yourself). Looking forward, I just don't see a return that's actually going to help the team.
"dam,we got a crier"
~tao

"Throw Payton out and get it over with. I'm getting hungry."
~Clyde
taowave
Likes given: 843

Totally agree..If our upside is taking on Eric Gordon or Harkles an filler,why bother..

Took 3 months to by Marbury out..

Ils tell his guys to have him opt out of next year and buy him out.

He will say no,but nothing ventured,nothing gained..
H20Knick wrote:If we're not going to make a play for Kyrie, we really need to consider just buying out Melo. We can't rebuild if we keep getting mediocre picks and we can't get good picks until we lose 60+ games.

NewlyKnicked

Championship 16/17 wrote:Andre Miller is not a scrub, he was a good player and respected by his peers. Isn't he top 10 in assist of all time, he was a borderline all-star depending on what year you looked at throughout his career. Ramon Sessions is a borderline D League player, probably was in the D League and fought his way back in the league, like Matt Barnes.

To me this is the same as let's get Sasha to mentor THJ.

And if we do get Kyrie, I don't want Sessions backing up Kyrie, I want to see Frank backing him up. This isn't the Cavs 4 years ago.
Never said Miller was a scrub (even tho he wasn't himself anymore when playing for the wizards with 3.7ppg, 3.1apg, 1.7rpg in 17min), just that Wall was better than him when he was drafted. Hopefully it's the same thing with Frank, but that doesn't mean he won't learn from Ramon.

The top-tier resume was one of the reasons I wanted Deron btw.
Rusty La Rue
Likes given: 814

big_j_NY wrote: I hated this idea at first but I've come around to it. When you put it into the context of what's already happened it just seems absolutely ridiculous because it is but ultimately it's irrelevant (unless your name is Phil Jackson and you brought this upon yourself). Looking forward, I just don't see a return that's actually going to help the team.
Draft picks :hammer: I do not even care how lousy they are... As long as we do not take on any bad contracts and receive a couple of draft picks I am fine. I do not care if you are the worst GM ever you should be able to do that... But do not buy him out...
2023 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
"Everybody gets excited about youth except the coach, because he knows youth means mistakes, mistakes mean losses, losses means you're fired."
maxinquaye11
Likes given: 6

Pg class in Sessions for Frank to be taught by Ramon.
 " Stat at 3 was code for Melo playing in the low post..." - n8 the gr8

"I don't ever wanna hear anyone bash max's 2 pg love again." - H20Knick

"Cant lie, he did play better off the bench." - nazrmohammed
H20Knick

Rusty La Rue wrote:
Draft picks :hammer: I do not even care how lousy they are... As long as we do not take on any bad contracts and receive a couple of draft picks I am fine. I do not care if you are the worst GM ever you should be able to do that... But do not buy him out...
That's the problem though. If you want picks in return, you still have to make the salaries match. If you want to make the salaries match, youre looking at bad contracts and/or players who aren't long term solutions to a rebuilding team but will likely get you make you too good to get a top 3 pick. The only way to not take on bad contracts + not ruin the chances at a top 3 pick is to just buy melo out. The eastern conference will be really bad and we're in the same division as the Nets. We can't be the worst with eric bledsoe.

I like Moe Harkless. He's a good defender, can shoot the 3, and doesn't demand too many touches. He'd slot in quite well at the 3 spot. But a Frank/THJ/Harkless perimeter lacks any sort of go-to scorer. No guy who can really reliably create his own offense. So I can't give up on MPJ or Doncic for that. We're past the point of just trying to acquire starter-level talent through the draft. We have Willy, KP, and Frank. We signed THJ to a ridiculous contract. Rebuilding doesn't mean build an elite team of role players and betas. If you don't want to trade picks to get a guy like Kyrie, sometimes you have to let a guy like Melo just walk away to do it. It's unfortunate, but if Butler and George go for pennies and the Knicks won't trade away 2 1st rounders or a 1st and Ntilikina for a 25 year old stud pg, I don't know why people think we're getting anything of quality back for 33 year old Melo with only 1 guaranteed year left on his deal and potentially only 1 team that he'll accept a trade to.
In Thibs we trust.

NewlyKnicked

H20, do you think we're better than the nets, the bulls, the pacers, the hawks, and magic even without melo? I think it's going to be real hard to be top 3 in the draft next year
nazrmohamed
Likes given: 251

Im ok waiving Melo at this point. Not my first choice but Im of the belief that he should never wear a Knicks uniform again and its not cuz I hate him but he's damaged goods.....at least from our standpoint.
H20Knick

NewlyKnicked wrote:H20, do you think we're better than the nets, the bulls, the pacers, the hawks, and magic even without melo? I think it's going to be real hard to be top 3 in the draft next year
i'd say we're not as good as the bulls... but on par with the others (though probably above the magic). I feel like teams with good point guards are rarely awful. It's hard to look at a Dennis Schroeder team or a Darren Collison team and predict they'll lose 60+ games.

On the flip side, starting a rookie is usually excellent tank material. Not only do we have a rookie pg, but he's barely 19 years old, he's never played against american guards, and his backups are Ramon Sessions and Ron Baker :laugh: Factor in that his handle can be a little shaky at times and combine that with the commonly employed methods NBA teams use to stifle opposing offenses and you have a recipe for a total shit show. Then on top of that, half the team has never really played much without Melo. To fans, it looks like ball hogging, but it's pretty nice to have a guy you just give the ball to when the going gets rough. There's going to be a lot of growing pains when KP goes from 3rd option to 1st option and THJ goes from 5th option to 2nd option.

CAN'T WAIT.
In Thibs we trust.

nazrmohamed
Likes given: 251

I can't wait either. Trial by fire. I don't necessarily care about great individual performance or wins in the sense of expectations. I only expect great team basketball regardless of result, a bit of excitement watching a youngin develop before my eyes and done defensive effort.
Rusty La Rue
Likes given: 814

H20Knick wrote:That's the problem though. If you want picks in return, you still have to make the salaries match. If you want to make the salaries match, youre looking at bad contracts and/or players who aren't long term solutions to a rebuilding team but will likely get you make you too good to get a top 3 pick. The only way to not take on bad contracts + not ruin the chances at a top 3 pick is to just buy melo out. The eastern conference will be really bad and we're in the same division as the Nets. We can't be the worst with eric bledsoe.

I like Moe Harkless. He's a good defender, can shoot the 3, and doesn't demand too many touches. He'd slot in quite well at the 3 spot. But a Frank/THJ/Harkless perimeter lacks any sort of go-to scorer. No guy who can really reliably create his own offense. So I can't give up on MPJ or Doncic for that. We're past the point of just trying to acquire starter-level talent through the draft. We have Willy, KP, and Frank. We signed THJ to a ridiculous contract. Rebuilding doesn't mean build an elite team of role players and betas. If you don't want to trade picks to get a guy like Kyrie, sometimes you have to let a guy like Melo just walk away to do it. It's unfortunate, but if Butler and George go for pennies and the Knicks won't trade away 2 1st rounders or a 1st and Ntilikina for a 25 year old stud pg, I don't know why people think we're getting anything of quality back for 33 year old Melo with only 1 guaranteed year left on his deal and potentially only 1 team that he'll accept a trade to.
You should be able to do a deal where you add a couple of players who will not improve the Knicks and you get a couple of draft picks... if that is what you want :?

I do not like this hole idea of tanking :blink: This is one of the hardest things about US sports for me to accept... You get rewarded for sucking? If you are the worst team in the Premier League you get relegated you are not rewarded with the best young player... It is not that I do not understand the concept behind the draft (evening out the playing field). It is just hard for me to accept.

So you should always try to win as many games as you can... because even if you suck you can always get screwed in the lottery.

Well back to my original point... We need to get something for Melo preferably draft picks and short contracts (or Kyrie without trading our young playes which is why that probably will not happen). The real issue here is the NTC which limits our possibilities and is probably why the Rockets (and Ryan Anderson) has to be involved which means we need to add a 3rd team...
2023 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
"Everybody gets excited about youth except the coach, because he knows youth means mistakes, mistakes mean losses, losses means you're fired."