Knicks 2017 cap position

Discuss New York Knicks news, current events, players, and history.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv

spree#8
Likes given: 540

shakespeare wrote:
No, not really saying the contracts are bad. I'm saying neither of these players own any trade value, which is scary, considering they're our 4 highest paid players.

Trade value, meaning, nothing received (if tradeable, at all) will shake the Richter Scale.
:? And I said that these players have trade value. We will get something we want in return for two of them and aren't even in the business of trading a third. So nothing scary to see here for me. One bad contract.
#knickstape
spree#8

OP updated with the Baker signing. Case closed for now, because we only have minimum contracts left to offer unless we open up fresh cap space via trade. Because we have already 12 players under contract, probably will sign Dotson to a minimum rookie contract, have Kornet on a two-way contract, Artis on a training camp invite, want to go young (maybe even tank) and still look to trade Melo, this should be fine from a cap stand point.
#knickstape
Don Che
Likes given: 9

it all depends on the Melo trade...just too much money going out to not have it effect things after wards....Hope Mills doesnt get screwed
cragganmor
Likes given: 93

Seems to me that mills intentionally locked in the salary slots so that we had a mostly young core. We can only sign min deals and to get any flexibility, we need to move melo, noah, koq, lance or lee. Basically, we must play the hand dealt, not kick the can down the road.
big_j_NY
Likes given: 1123

cragganmor wrote:Seems to me that mills intentionally locked in the salary slots so that we had a mostly young core. We can only sign min deals and to get any flexibility, we need to move melo, noah, koq, lance or lee. Basically, we must play the hand dealt, not kick the can down the road.
If that was the case, then Mills should've just pushed for a Carmelo trade more aggressively to accomplish that feat.

I mean, Melo's trade value is already pretty damn low in terms of attracting expiring contracts. The best we can get for Carmelo is just draft picks at this point, so a Melo trade would've gotten us a bunch of assets that would've forced the salary cap to be restricted for further moves beyond an "exception signing" and/or vet min. deals.
spree#8

Just FYI: there are some reports out, that the Knicks haven't signed Baker yet and still look to sign one player over the minimum with the remaining cap space. My last estimation was 1.69m, ESPN says 1.4. So if something like that happens, it means that we found a player to sign for that amount, signed him first and then Baker with the room exception. Won't change the OP back to before the Baker signing, will just additional information once it comes in.
#knickstape
Don Che
Likes given: 9

Knicks always feel we gotta use every penny ...every offseason...thats the dumbest thing you can do.

Trade Melo 26 mill and Lee 12 mill

if we can cut those contracts via trade and make it that

Noah
Tim

are the highest paid guys on this team....thats a great start

let Noah serve his suspension ...have him be our 6th man build his value and trade him when you can.

We gotta shed long contracts but dont rush the process. Be patient.