Frank Ntilikina will be a perennial all-star

Discuss New York Knicks news, current events, players, and history.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv, cru77jones

Re: Frank Ntilikina will be a perennial all-star

Postby spree#8 » January 13, 2018, 4:10 am

He is 19, so I would wait at least two more years before making such claims.
#knickstape
spree#8

Postby taowave » January 13, 2018, 7:52 am

He's a good defender,good vision,but he doesn't seem to have the aggression or fire in his belly.
taowave

Postby NYGM » January 13, 2018, 9:07 am

taowave wrote:He's a good defender,good vision,but he doesn't seem to have the aggression or fire in his belly.

He needs to mature physically and improve his handle a lot..

His shooting form looks good IMO.. Also he started to drive a little bit more lately..

Also NBA experience, the NBA is a really faster paced game..

Strength, handles and experience.. The kid is only 19..
NYGM

Postby dcapodic » January 14, 2018, 11:12 am

I will say this....

People seem to play both sides of the table with Frank. One of the reasons that people liked him so much was that the played with much older players and showed well. Now, he needs to be cut slack because he is only 19?!?

Personally, I don't like to put labels on players of any age because anyone can change but there needs to be something there to feel good about...amazing athlete, great shooter, etc. Frank has some things...but he is also lacking in others.

Just because a guy gets older does not mean he gets better. Some people peak early and never improve, we have seen that many times. What I am starting to not like in Frank's performances lately is that a player with his experience (yea, I know he is 19 but you also liked that he had this great experience in the French league) is that he doesn't seem to be improving in any area. I don't expect leaps and bounds but I give him that he made a big jump coming to the NBA but he came with expectations based on his "experience". His play is pretty much what we could see from the French league. I guess that is good and this is not to rip him but I will say this....for those tha tare really high on Frank, what is it that you actually see in him now that makes you feel that way?

He has ability, yea and I think he can be a solid defensive player but that is an area that is becoming less important these days (like it or not) .

Yea, I will give Frank the 3-5 years that people say we "have" to give him but I don't know where it is that the is gonna start to really make a mark.
- Thanasis Antetokounmpo spelled backwards is Opmnuokotetna (which is Swahili for Hand Sanitizer). Mr. Glass, circa 2014
dcapodic

Postby nazrmohamed » January 14, 2018, 12:23 pm

At 19 yrs old I'm willing to give him the entire year. Not only young but new to American athlete culture. Sounds like allot of excuses but I'll give him those excuses now. I expect dramatic improvement by next training camp or unfortunately he is a bust
PHISHER
nazrmohamed

Postby Muzhik1 » January 14, 2018, 1:08 pm

He is also a euro, and most European players have turned out to be below average. For every KP and Dirk, there are Bargnani and Shved.

No one expects him to put up huge numbers now. He just does not have the same instinct that many top guard like DSJ and Donovan Mitchell have.
Muzhik1

Postby NYGM » January 14, 2018, 1:33 pm

The reason to be optimistic is his play against his peers at international level..
NYGM

Postby dcapodic » January 14, 2018, 2:28 pm

NYGM wrote:The reason to be optimistic is his play against his peers at international level..

You see....this is the kind of comment that is curious because he is not going to be playing against any of those Euro "peers" in the NBA.

Again, playing both sides....he will be good because he has this great experience playing at a high Euro level but we need to wait 3-5 years for him to develop?!?

I am not chopping on him and as i said, I am willing to give him the time he needs to develop but what is it in his play that makes up think he is going to "develop" something? From what I can tell so far, he is not a superior athlete, his shot is shaky (yes, that can get better), his handle is average (at best and yes, that also can get better).

Let me put it this way....when KP came into the league he had several very positive things going for him, his height (obviously), athletic ability for someone that height (jump, run), a very good 3 pt shot and really an all around good straight on jumper, etc. So, when we say we need to give him time to develop, I get it...he needed to grom into his body and see where his skills fit into the NBA game. You could see above average basketball skills, now it is a matter of whether he can handle the physical part of the game.

What skills does Frank have that you can say are now or could be above average? Not saying he doesn't have them just wondering what others see....
- Thanasis Antetokounmpo spelled backwards is Opmnuokotetna (which is Swahili for Hand Sanitizer). Mr. Glass, circa 2014
dcapodic

Postby taowave » January 15, 2018, 8:29 am

Frank has an over abundance of composure.

The real question is ,In what league will Frank be a perennial all star??
taowave

Postby Koopa Troopa » January 15, 2018, 11:32 am

taowave wrote:Frank has an over abundance of composure.

The real question is ,In what league will Frank be a perennial all star??

People will keep moving the goal posts. "X didnt become a star until he was 29! So just be patient!"

Were hearing the same song with KP. Dirk, KP's direct comparison, eliminated Stockton and Malone from the playoffs in 2001 at age 23. KP is turning 23 this year no?

"Well UHHHH but but Kawhi Leonard wasnt an all star until his 5th or 6th season (ignoring his finals MVP in his third season as a pro)"

Im sure theres a Maciej Lampe will be a perennial all star topic somewhere in these forums :drunk:
Koopa Troopa

Postby Muzhik1 » January 15, 2018, 11:44 am

Frank should be sent to the G-league to get some experience and confidence. No pressure, no fear.

He can develop his skills and hopefully come back in a better shape next season.

I doubt that he will be sent there, but it would benefit Frank.
Muzhik1

Postby shakespeare » January 15, 2018, 12:16 pm

Koopa Troopa wrote:Im sure theres a Maciej Lampe will be a perennial all star topic somewhere in these forums

Hilarious.

I was about to argue against it, but then I thought about it: The Scott Layden Years were some of the darkest times in New York Knicks basketball history.

No one should be held accountable for ANYTHING they posted during that era.
The Porzingis blessing is real.
shakespeare
Writer

Postby dcapodic » January 15, 2018, 1:48 pm

Koopa Troopa wrote:
People will keep moving the goal posts. "X didnt become a star until he was 29! So just be patient!"

Were hearing the same song with KP. Dirk, KP's direct comparison, eliminated Stockton and Malone from the playoffs in 2001 at age 23. KP is turning 23 this year no?

"Well UHHHH but but Kawhi Leonard wasnt an all star until his 5th or 6th season (ignoring his finals MVP in his third season as a pro)"

Im sure theres a Maciej Lampe will be a perennial all star topic somewhere in these forums :drunk:

People will keep moving the goal posts.

This is what i have been saying also except in a different manner :) It's like playing both sides of the street.

I keep saying, I am willing to give him time but what is it in his current play that makes you feel good about him developing into a "star" player? There are usually things you can see that get you excited....for young players, it may be that occasional big game that makes you think wow if he could just have more of those but I don't remember Frank having those. There are skills you get excited about but what are they if people are excited?!?

Again, not dogging him just wondering what people see. Time only matters if there is something positive to happen.
dcapodic

Postby NewlyKnicked » January 16, 2018, 5:53 am

Goal posts have been solidly fixed at "Frank is a project who will take more years than others to reach his potential, he is a project with high upside". That's been his description from the very start which corresponds to rebuilding team. I don't know what mislead you guys.

Yes, he played in the French league against adults which helped develop his bb iq and maturity, but he wasn't the MVP either, barely a starter. So yeah, he has aspects of his game which are more refined than other rooks, but it'll take some time to adapt to the NBA and develop into the beautiful triple-double machine he is surely gonna be.

Have faith, don't empty the baby out with the bath
2017 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
NewlyKnicked

Postby taowave » January 16, 2018, 7:09 am

He dogged it ,thats why he was questioned...

“It’s time,” the rookie said. “I know it’s about time especially I have to go out there and be confident and be aggressive. I won’t relax now. I’m just motivated to do more in the future.
taowave

Postby NYGM » January 16, 2018, 7:31 am

Dcap.. His play against his peers tells you he's talented enough at that level..

Obviously he'll be playing against the best in the NBA.. An adjusting period is expected, no need to pannic for a rough strech of games, he could be hitting the rookie wall early.

What he got going for him? What about DEFENSE? We supposed to value defense here but can't appreciate it from our own rookie?..

I'm not saying he's raw, I think he needs to adjust and find his place on the team.. He has that international experience so you can see him composed to a fault..

Hopefully he will learn and adapt sooner, but for me is all about learning experience this year and hard work over the summer to get a really improved player next season..
NYGM

Postby StevoStarks » January 16, 2018, 2:47 pm

It's the 3 year plan, always the 3 year plan with young kids. If it ain't happening in the 3rd year, he's either in the wrong environment or it's not going to happen.

Of course guys hit their stride after 3 years, but it's hard to hold a rookie longer expecting different results.
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
- Dr. Seuss

"Woody was the perfect coach for these mutts."
- taowave

"Is he REALLY injured?? A part of me doesnt believe that he is and I think he's just being a bitch. Bitch-nani."
- rynyk222
StevoStarks
Writer

Previous

Return to New York Knicks