8th pick.. (Welcome Knickilina to NY)

Discuss New York Knicks news, current events, players, and history.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv, cru77jones

Who do you want at pick 8?

Frank
41%
Monk
24%
Smith
32%
Isaac
3%
Somebody Else
No votes

Total votes : 37

Re: 8th pick.. (Welcome Knickilina to NY)

Postby StevoStarks » July 19, 2017, 10:32 pm

Who was the PG that came through here recently that Clyde said he would talk to and help him transition to the ways of NY? It escapes me. Maybe it wasn't a PG, but I remember him reaching out and I'm not sure it was reciprocated.

This is going to be a bit of an over generalization, but I feel like young kids these days aren't students of the game and don't respect the history of what came before them. Whether it be athletes, or whatever industry. The generational divide is bigger than ever.
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
- Dr. Seuss

"Woody was the perfect coach for these mutts."
- taowave

"Is he REALLY injured?? A part of me doesnt believe that he is and I think he's just being a bitch. Bitch-nani."
- rynyk222
StevoStarks
Writer

Postby Irv » July 19, 2017, 11:58 pm

This article is now close to seven years old, but Clyde once said only three Knicks have ever approached him with questions.

http://nymag.com/daily/sports/2010/12/i ... x_a_f.html

Do you communicate much with current players, particularly with the guards?
People are flabbergasted when I tell them that only three Knick players have ever asked me anything.

Really?
Yeah.

Who are the three?
Greg Anthony, Larry Johnson, and now, Toney Douglas, I've had sort of a rapport with him. Today's players see an old player like me, and they say, "That was then and this is now." To me, basketball a hundred years from now will still be about teamwork, defense, playing with savvy. But today's players, I don't know. They've kinda lost it that way. I remember when I was young, anytime I could be around Oscar Robertson or Jerry West, I was sitting there like a little kid, in awe. Especially my first All-Star game, I remember sitting in the locker room. I didn't say a word. I was just mesmerized that Wilt Chamberlain was sitting there, Bill Russell, all of those guys. I just sat in the background, man. I couldn't believe it. It was like a dream come true for me. So I was trying to learn anything I could from those particular players. But I think today's players, that's one of the benefits they do not capitalize on. A lot of players are not even privy to the history of the game. They don't really know the former players, they only know Dr. J and they go forward from there. I mean, some of them know me vaguely, but they're not that familiar — one time, David Lee came up to me and said, "Man, I can't believe in one game you had 36 points and 19 rebounds ..." And that's the greatest game in Knick history! There's a guy that's on the Knicks that wasn't even familiar with that. I think it's hurt the game, that a lot of the players are not students of the game. I can go all the way back to George Mikan, I know the history, when basketball first started. That was something I was really into, the history of the game. And I think the NBA should embellish the former players more. There's no tie with the former guys, you rarely see them talking about the Knick championship or players two decades ago who helped make the game what it is today.
Irv
Administrator

Postby NewlyKnicked » July 20, 2017, 3:00 am

We have an expensive French mentor already on the squad even though most people would like to forget about that...
2017 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
NewlyKnicked

Postby NewlyKnicked » July 20, 2017, 3:00 am

pls sign Dwill for the min
NewlyKnicked

Postby Don Che » July 20, 2017, 7:04 am

NewlyKnicked wrote:pls sign Dwill for the min

Ew
Don Che

Postby NewlyKnicked » July 21, 2017, 2:27 am

why not? we want a solid, cheap, veteran pg mentor for Frank to show him the ropes, not a starter who takes his minutes and compromises our 2018 lottery pick. Dwill checks all of that and more

you'd prefer sessions? why?
NewlyKnicked

Postby gradyandrew » July 21, 2017, 6:37 am

NewlyKnicked wrote:We have an expensive French mentor already on the squad even though most people would like to forget about that...

LOL! I totally forgot about that, he's also the best passer on the team.
This is a FAN page that relies on its members for content and commentary. So don't be a lurker, be a POSTER, even if it's just a picture of a fat guy eating a hamburger.
gradyandrew

Postby NewlyKnicked » July 21, 2017, 7:08 am

and he can give him medical advice !!
NewlyKnicked

Postby Don Che » July 21, 2017, 11:29 am

one of you guys mentioned Derek Harper as a comparison...i remember his knicks days but i was too young to remember before that.

looked his stats up....he came into the league at 22...and wasnt really a stud until he was 25....but after that he gave his team legit 7 years of a 18/7 with around 2 steals to boot.

Frank is 18...if he can reach that level by year 2 or 3.....He may be that guy for legit 10-11 years....would be amazing to have.

I hope he will be our Mike Conley in regards to high defense and no matter who you are you know your gonna have to work to get yours day in day out.

Conley/Harper/Avery Bradley/Michael Ray/Penny are the guys I want Frank to mold his game after
Don Che

Postby gradyandrew » July 21, 2017, 11:36 am

Did Frank start for his team in France? Is he going to start here?

My feeling is Frank's game is kind of like Mudiay, but not really sure. Is he going to be able to start right away?
Last edited by gradyandrew on July 21, 2017, 12:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
This is a FAN page that relies on its members for content and commentary. So don't be a lurker, be a POSTER, even if it's just a picture of a fat guy eating a hamburger.
gradyandrew

Postby gradyandrew » July 21, 2017, 11:42 am

:popcorn:
Last edited by gradyandrew on July 21, 2017, 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
gradyandrew

Postby Don Che » July 21, 2017, 11:45 am

lol and this is about Frank?
Don Che

Postby gradyandrew » July 21, 2017, 12:11 pm

Don Che wrote:lol and this is about Frank?

That will be our secret. (wink)
gradyandrew

Postby StevoStarks » July 21, 2017, 12:37 pm

Don Che wrote:one of you guys mentioned Derek Harper as a comparison...i remember his knicks days but i was too young to remember before that.

looked his stats up....he came into the league at 22...and wasnt really a stud until he was 25....but after that he gave his team legit 7 years of a 18/7 with around 2 steals to boot.

Frank is 18...if he can reach that level by year 2 or 3.....He may be that guy for legit 10-11 years....would be amazing to have.

I hope he will be our Mike Conley in regards to high defense and no matter who you are you know your gonna have to work to get yours day in day out.

Conley/Harper/Avery Bradley/Michael Ray/Penny are the guys I want Frank to mold his game after

It's too bad he could never really be like Derek Harper because of the handcheck rule. Frank the Tank would destroy the NBA if they brought back the handcheck.
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
- Dr. Seuss

"Woody was the perfect coach for these mutts."
- taowave

"Is he REALLY injured?? A part of me doesnt believe that he is and I think he's just being a bitch. Bitch-nani."
- rynyk222
StevoStarks
Writer

Postby Don Che » July 26, 2017, 8:31 am

pfff give Frank a handcheck he would be all defense by year 3 lol

question tho: is Frank playing for France in the world cup?

KP/Will are playing for their countries..is Frank too young?
Don Che

Postby H20Knick » July 26, 2017, 5:23 pm

He's old enough to play, but France takes this too seriously to add him to the roster. They're going with more experience.
Fort Knox. Hard Knox. Knock Knox. It doesn't matter. Hall of Fame in 20.

2018 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION
2015 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION
H20Knick

Postby Don Che » July 26, 2017, 8:48 pm

Hahaha that's good....won't lie
Don Che

Postby NewlyKnicked » July 27, 2017, 10:08 am

H20Knick wrote:He's old enough to play, but France takes this too seriously to add him to the roster. They're going with more experience.

that plus the fact he got injured and it's his rookie season. looking at the roster, i'm fairly sure we would have taken him with us otherwise (kevin seraphin sees us going all the way :LOL: )

btw it's the european cup not world cup (pretty similar except for the winner at the end)
NewlyKnicked

Previous

Return to New York Knicks