8th pick.. (Welcome Knickilina to NY)

Discuss New York Knicks news, current events, players, and history.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv

Who do you want at pick 8?

Frank
41%
Monk
24%
Smith
32%
Isaac
3%
Somebody Else
No votes

Total votes: 37
shakespeare
Likes given: 0

The 7th overall pick will go on to become an All-NBAer.

Book it.
#TeamTank
shakespeare

thewatcher wrote:Monk
#TeamTank
H20Knick
Likes given: 3

This is depressing.

DSJ is the athlete I've always wanted here at PG, but he's just such a headcase. You never see that kind of stuff at the college level, so, even though i really don't believe in team cancers AT ALL, I'm wary. I do think NY might be the best place for him though, with a fanbase and media that will hold him accountable every minute and a coach that has experience with dynamic small guards (eric bledsoe).

Isaac... much like DSJ, Isaac playing in the ACC gave me a chance to watch him more closely than the other guys on the draft list (outside of Kentucky, who is always on tv). My worries with Isaac are that he's not aggressive and he's not a very dynamic athlete either. In fact, maybe he reminds me a bit of Otto Porter. Takes/makes shots that are given to him, doesn't do stupid things with the ball, but not a guy you just give the ball to and say "go score". That's an easier thing to live with on a team that already has other pieces, but it's obviously not what I wanted out of this draft. I think DSJ has a much higher potential impact factor, but Isaac is a safe pick.

Frank... I don't know anything about him outside of highlight clips against children. The guy shoots well when defended by children and he's a lockdown defender against children. The optimists will look at the 3 choices and pick Frank because they dont have any evidence that he can't do this against grown men once he matures. The pessimists will pick anyone but Frank because they dont have any evidence that he CAN do this against grown men once he matures, nor do they want to wait an extra 2 years for him to be NBA ready when the learning curve for NBA PGs is already extraordinarily long. I'm pretty sure i've sealed my reputation as one of the most pessimistic people on nykfp, so i'll just leave it at this.

I need some time to mull it over before I can pick. I wanted to pick DSJ, because I can understand why youd get bored and not play 100% when your team is absolute trash and your school is a joke... but that's going to be the same case on the Knicks. I lean Isaac today. He also wont fuck up the tank for next season.

Oh, I forgot Monk. I think he's the most talented player on that list for sure. He's just undersized and can't guard anyone. So... pass.
In Thibs we trust.

2018 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION
2015 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION
NewlyKnicked
Likes given: 166

H20Knick wrote:This is depressing.

DSJ is the athlete I've always wanted here at PG, but he's just such a headcase. You never see that kind of stuff at the college level, so, even though i really don't believe in team cancers AT ALL, I'm wary. I do think NY might be the best place for him though, with a fanbase and media that will hold him accountable every minute and a coach that has experience with dynamic small guards (eric bledsoe).

Isaac... much like DSJ, Isaac playing in the ACC gave me a chance to watch him more closely than the other guys on the draft list (outside of Kentucky, who is always on tv). My worries with Isaac are that he's not aggressive and he's not a very dynamic athlete either. In fact, maybe he reminds me a bit of Otto Porter. Takes/makes shots that are given to him, doesn't do stupid things with the ball, but not a guy you just give the ball to and say "go score". That's an easier thing to live with on a team that already has other pieces, but it's obviously not what I wanted out of this draft. I think DSJ has a much higher potential impact factor, but Isaac is a safe pick.

Frank... I don't know anything about him outside of highlight clips against children. The guy shoots well when defended by children and he's a lockdown defender against children. The optimists will look at the 3 choices and pick Frank because they dont have any evidence that he can't do this against grown men once he matures. The pessimists will pick anyone but Frank because they dont have any evidence that he CAN do this against grown men once he matures, nor do they want to wait an extra 2 years for him to be NBA ready when the learning curve for NBA PGs is already extraordinarily long. I'm pretty sure i've sealed my reputation as one of the most pessimistic people on nykfp, so i'll just leave it at this.

I need some time to mull it over before I can pick. I wanted to pick DSJ, because I can understand why youd get bored and not play 100% when your team is absolute trash and your school is a joke... but that's going to be the same case on the Knicks. I lean Isaac today. He also wont fuck up the tank for next season.
Frank's been playing against adults way more than any NCAA guys. He's played 31 games in the French top league with 18.2 mpg. I agree it's still just his 1st season there, the level does not compare to NBA and he didn't get sky high mpg which still makes it unclear on how well he'll do in the states, but that part of your statement on how he's never competed against adults is plain wrong.
2017 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
2020 Co-NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
2021 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
Rusty La Rue
Likes given: 819

NewlyKnicked wrote:
Frank's been playing against adults way more than any NCAA guys. He's played 31 games in the French top league with 18.2 mpg. I agree it's still just his 1st season there, the level does not compare to NBA and he didn't get sky high mpg which still makes it unclear on how well he'll do in the states, but that part of your statement on how he's never competed against adults is plain wrong.
Hey NewlyKnicked you are French right? What is the French medias take on Frank, do they believe he is something special?
2023 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
"Everybody gets excited about youth except the coach, because he knows youth means mistakes, mistakes mean losses, losses means you're fired."
Nononsense

I don't know hardly anything about Ntilikina. Can somebody help me understand the hype? His numbers don't suggest anything much considering his playing time is very limited. He seems to be a decent shooter from long range but has pedestrian free throw percentages. Nothing else stands out even if you expand his numbers to per 36 minutes. I'm sure there are things to glean from workouts and scouting reports, but those numbers for a #8 pick in an otherwise talented draft class is troublesome for me.
NewlyKnicked

As always for a PG in France, he's been compared to Parker... even though they're nothing alike

He's won a couple of awards as most promising youth in the league, he's on the short list to be in the national team, and his role has been steadily getting bigger in his club (Strasbourg which is usually one of the best here) starting the last few games. His coach (who is also our national coach, Vincent Collet) said he took a huge step forward this season. The French media are very high on the kid both for his raw talent and his level of maturity on and off the court. He seems pretty smart too with good results in school and he can talk english which is not a given in France.

However he doesn't have a franchise player role yet in his club. His stats are still pretty modest (5.2 ppg, 2.2 rpg, 1.4 apg). The expert opinion is that he needs work to be consistent and to get to his full potential.

Btw, correction to my previous post: he's been playing for 2 seasons in our top league with a huge increase in all his stats and playing time from 1st to 2nd
NewlyKnicked

Nononsense wrote:I don't know hardly anything about Ntilikina. Can somebody help me understand the hype? His numbers don't suggest anything much considering his playing time is very limited. He seems to be a decent shooter from long range but has pedestrian free throw percentages. Nothing else stands out even if you expand his numbers to per 36 minutes. I'm sure there are things to glean from workouts and scouting reports, but those numbers for a #8 pick in an otherwise talented draft class is troublesome for me.
I'd say his most intriguing aspect is his progression over the season, but I agree that he isn't eye-popping on paper
ISIAH_THOMAS
Likes given: 52

The last all star to be drafted at pick 8 was Vin Baker in 1993 :blink:
Fxck Adam Silver
H20Knick

NewlyKnicked wrote:
I didn't say he's never played against adults. I just said all of his highlights come in a U18 league. What did he do against "adults"? 5 points and 1.4 assists (AT ratio not even 2:1) in 18 minutes. Greaaaaaat.
In Thibs we trust.

2018 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION
2015 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION
NewlyKnicked

H20Knick wrote:I didn't say he's never played against adults. I just said all of his highlights come in a U18 league. What did he do against "adults"? 5 points and 1.4 assists (AT ratio not even 2:1) in 18 minutes. Greaaaaaat.
fair point.

I looked at KP stats in sevilla to make an argument about young guys having a diminished role in Europe, but KP filled it and Spanish league is better than its French counterpart... damn you, KP

So at the end of the day, when you see Frank on the floor you see he has potential as a versatile player, but I admit he still has to show what he's made of.

For my part, I'll go with my gut feeling and French bias: go Frank :drool: !!!
n8 the gr8
Likes given: 167

Good scoop NewlyKnicked.

Someone from France emailed me an article about him last fall and I've been keeping an eye on him a little before he started to creep up mock drafts but I haven't had a chance to watch any full games. Here's a somewhat longer clip

Everything I liked about Mudiay I like about Frank. I remain optimistic because he seems to have better guard skills, especially shooting.

That said Monk could be the exact same story as Curry. Best shooter in the draft, not hyped because of size, just gets buckets and will probably go one pick before the Knicks. Edit- Rusty just made the same comparison in the other thread. The similarities are worrisome.
"dam,we got a crier"
~tao

"Throw Payton out and get it over with. I'm getting hungry."
~Clyde
spree#8
Likes given: 548

I wouldn't be surprised if Nikitina would work his way above our pick.
#knickstape
Don Che
Likes given: 9

I still try to get the Melo trade done..ask for 2 of their first rounders...they have 3 btw last i checked

7th Pick: Frank
15th Pick: Semi Ojeleye or Ike
27th Pick: Mathias Lessert or Semi Ojeleye or Wesley Iwundu

Frank has been discussed a ton....SO is basically Jae Crowder....6'7 241 pound beast...oh yeh he has a 41 inch vertical..Crowder isnt a vertical guy...and most importantly...SO shot 40% from 3 last year.

Mathias and Ike give us a physical presence we've lacked...we usually have strong players but not athletic..these guys are both.

and im a big Wesley fan in our offense and has tools to be good on defense and defend multiple spots...with Frank..could be interesting down the line.
cheftom

I say Frank. I hear he is the perfect point guard for the Triangle. :P
Overly optimistic about the Knicks since 1974
Don Che

I remember when we were evaluating Mudiay and Watcher said something that stood out to me "he moves like a hall of famer"

and Dennis Smith has flaws but out of all the guards...well along with Lonzo...Dennis moves like a lead guard...an all star

he is dribble happy but if he can adjust ...he could be just as good as anyone in this draft.

-Monk is def the Curry syndrome but Curry had a very high IQ for a rookie and those 3 years in Davidson really prepared him for the NBA...Monk while he is a better athlete...he lacks in that department.

- Frank is a wild card...i think if his jumper goes to another level...it would open up his game a ton..along with posting up. Frank doesnt need to be the fastest/quickest guard at his size...if he can learn to post up/triple threat and rip to the rim..he'd be a beast esp if he can shoot it well. Our offense would do wonders for him because i dont see a "pick and roll" kinda guy with him.
nazrmohamed
Likes given: 258

nbafreak724 wrote:I've still got some research to do but I might be okay with any of these four picks. My order of preference (as of now) is probably:

1. Smith
2. Frank
3. Monk
4. Issac
Despite allot of my justifications for how phil might use him, after hearing Friscella describe him, Idk about taking that chance on Monk. My ideas were that Phil might see him like Baker on steroids and hey, that might be the case. But if Im wrong we could be drafting a bench player. I just can't pull the trigger on that.
Don Che

i HIGHLY doubt Isaac is even there to pick for us.

remember seeing an advanced on his defense was AD like...someone will take him
nazrmohamed
Likes given: 258

n8 the gr8 wrote:Good scoop NewlyKnicked.

Someone from France emailed me an article about him last fall and I've been keeping an eye on him a little before he started to creep up mock drafts but I haven't had a chance to watch any full games. Here's a somewhat longer clip

Everything I liked about Mudiay I like about Frank. I remain optimistic because he seems to have better guard skills, especially shooting.

That said Monk could be the exact same story as Curry. Best shooter in the draft, not hyped because of size, just gets buckets and will probably go one pick before the Knicks. Edit- Rusty just made the same comparison in the other thread. The similarities are worrisome.
Franks never been my number on be choice but as we get closer he's before my more diplomatic choice in that he checks off alot of boxes. Hes a kid that could be the pg of the future or he could end up not being that and instead being a play making SG. Ill never compare anyone's star power to Kobe just based on Kobes will to dominate but when I watch this kid play its like Im watching a mirror image of a young Kobe. Right down to the form on his jump shot. He's long, athletic, can pass, shoot. Can't tell if he's a defender just yet but the physical tools are there. When so many things are similar though there's boom or bust potential. I wouldn't be pissed if we took the chance on him. I think Smith is more nba ready and looks the part of a feature PG but long term potential I like Frank.

As usual my consistent second choice is Isaac. Always was. I just see allot of potential in a guy 6'10 that can shoot and defend 4 positions. Again, I know everybody got this playmaker tunnel vision but if you're just liking at best overall talent and not drafting on need alone he one hell of a prospect.
rebound
Likes given: 1156

cant see isaac lasting past orlando or minny.
TOM THIBODEAU'S NEW YORK KNICKS PRESENT:
HEROBALL. A STORY OF THE MID RANGE FADEAWAY JUMPER.
STARRING JALEN BUMSON AND DUBIOUS HANDLES.