8th pick.. (Welcome Knickilina to NY)

Discuss New York Knicks news, current events, players, and history.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv

Who do you want at pick 8?

Frank
41%
Monk
24%
Smith
32%
Isaac
3%
Somebody Else
No votes

Total votes: 37
shakespeare
Likes given: 0

H20Knick wrote:This is depressing.
AGREED.

Knicks had the opportunity to position themselves in the Draft Lottery and possibly walk away with Fox or Josh Jackson or maybe even Jayson Tatum, but no. Phil and Hornacek rather walk away with some meaningless wins. To devise and execute a plan would've been too much like acting like a franchise with a vision. Instead of selecting a player with lesser odds of being a bust, we're left with taking a role player that needs years to develop his role.

I understand you're not sitting in the Malik Monk section of the crowd, but he's the only player that might be available at 8 that will immediately improve our team/bench production. I don't understand the Dennis Smith hype (although I'd welcome him) and Ntilikina (I'd welcome him, too) is still trying to figure how to play the game with passion.

Monk is a gunner. You can never have enough gunners on your team.
#TeamTank
NYGM
Likes given: 490

This league is too much guard oriented right now.. We need a guy who can put some pressure on the other guards who often kill the team..

I'm not looking at some lockdown defender at the PG (there's none IMO), is just nearly impossible to stop elite guards nowadays...

A guy who can impact the game and is more well rounded right now is DSJ..

18.1, 50.9% (2pt), 35.9%(3pt), 71.5% (ft), 4.6rb, 6.2ast..

Can finish, shoot, rebound and pass.. Plays like a powerful PG already and would be an impact player from day 1.. His ability to score from all three levels will translate to the next level IMO...

That's my choice..
nazrmohamed
Likes given: 251

Im still thinking of trades. For example let's say the Kings grab Tatum with the 6th pick then they'll need a PG with thier second pick. We need a pg too however it looks like DSJ is ranked higher yet we like Frank.

The Knicks then select DSJ, hope Frank gets picked up later by the Kings. So then what we do is trade DSJ at pick 7 for Frank at pick 10 and require they add in a player like Buddy Hield.

The kings essentially get picks 6&8 and we land the player we really wanted plus a SG who was literally just in the lottery last year.

Backcourt of the future on one night. These are obviously scenarios that don't happen until after players are drafted but still options Id like to see considered
Championship 16/17

nbafreak724 wrote:I've still got some research to do but I might be okay with any of these four picks. My order of preference (as of now) is probably:

1. Smith
2. Frank
3. Monk
4. Issac
1.Frank
2. Isaac
3. Smith
4. Monk

Based off what I think Phil will choose
JoeD

To me it's a no brainer at 8. The Knicks need to get an absolute beast a player that puts pressure on the opposing team. Nitty is nice I like him especially his height, Monk small shooting guard will have to be converted over to guard kind of like Eric Gordon. Fox is nice but his shooting is a bit scary. Issac would be ideal good height for a sf. But to me the x-factor in this draft is Diallo. This guy screams talent and his potential is off the charts. I'm talking possibly next material. With that said with the 8th pick in the 2017 draft the Knicks select Hamidou Diallo.
NewlyKnicked
Likes given: 162

that'd be pretty ballzy even for Phil
2017 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
2020 Co-NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
2021 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
taowave
Likes given: 844

Thats the pick you make when you really really dont give a shit if you are fired..Not saying he doesnt have big upside,but hes going to have to show it at some point.

He practiced from January to March with the Wildcats, but NBA scouts who watched him then weren’t overly impressed. Diallo, who graduated from high school last spring but opted to stay in prep school to start the 2016-17 season, attracted NBA scouts to some of his games with Putnam Science Academy (Conn.) in the fall, but they weren’t blown away by those performances either.

Outside shooting has long been the biggest knock on Diallo’s game. He shot at about 20 percent from three-point range on the Nike circuit last summer and wasn’t much better for his high school team. His coaches and teammates at UK this winter have said Diallo greatly improved his outside stroke in his short time as a practice player with the Cats, but scouts have other questions about his game.

Givony mentioned ball handling, defensive awareness and “motor” as areas of concern for some who have watched him play, especially at the beginning of this past season.

Its one thing to draft a One and Done,but drafting a None and Done takes a huge set of balls...

JoeD wrote:To me it's a no brainer at 8. The Knicks need to get an absolute beast a player that puts pressure on the opposing team. Nitty is nice I like him especially his height, Monk small shooting guard will have to be converted over to guard kind of like Eric Gordon. Fox is nice but his shooting is a bit scary. Issac would be ideal good height for a sf. But to me the x-factor in this draft is Diallo. This guy screams talent and his potential is off the charts. I'm talking possibly next material. With that said with the 8th pick in the 2017 draft the Knicks select Hamidou Diallo.
Rusty La Rue
Likes given: 814

n8 the gr8 wrote:
That said Monk could be the exact same story as Curry. Best shooter in the draft, not hyped because of size, just gets buckets and will probably go one pick before the Knicks. Edit- Rusty just made the same comparison in the other thread. The similarities are worrisome.
I just have this feeling that we should take Monk if he is available when we draft :hmm:
2023 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
2020 Co-NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
"Everybody gets excited about youth except the coach, because he knows youth means mistakes, mistakes mean losses, losses means you're fired."
H20Knick
Likes given: 3

While Monk isn't my first choice, I'd probably be most relieved if we took him... He has the least "bust potential" I guess.
In Thibs we trust.

2018 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION
2015 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION
big_j_NY
Likes given: 1127

H20Knick wrote:While Monk isn't my first choice, I'd probably be most relieved if we took him... He has the least "bust potential" I guess.
We were projected to be 7th............WE WERE PROJECTED TO BE 7TH.

The fact we now have to settle for Monk because we ended up 1 DRAFT SLOT LOWER THAN OUR PROJECTION................FUCK THE NBA
H20Knick

big_j_NY wrote: We were projected to be 7th............WE WERE PROJECTED TO BE 7TH.

The fact we now have to settle for Monk because we ended up 1 DRAFT SLOT LOWER THAN OUR PROJECTION................FUCK THE NBA
who were you expecting at 7th that wont be there at 8? There were probably 5 guys I could've gotten really excited about. Fultz, Jackson, Ball, Fox, Tatum in that order. At 6, one of them probably goes to us. But I dont really feel any worse about 8 than I did 7. If anything, it helps because at least now I dont have to become exasperated with Phil taking Frank over guys ahead of him on every single expert's draft ranking. We won't have a choice.

Maybe this is the moment where the Knicks are forced to take Monk and he ends up being the next Steph/AI/Isaiah? You know i'm always raving about players that have "that dog" in them. That killer instinct. That "big time players do big time things in big time games" switch that I think KP lacks.
In Thibs we trust.

Don Che
Likes given: 9

Monk can also be Lou Williams...hes a scary pick in my book.
nbafreak724

Frank just seems like a Phil pick at this point.

Been checking out some highlights of him and stuff. Seems like he has all the tools, but obviously the big issue is that there isnt a whole lot of evidence of him versus actual competition.
"Come at the king, you best not miss."
H20Knick

Don Che wrote:Monk can also be Lou Williams...hes a scary pick in my book.
Ive seen this comparison show up elsewhere, but... Lou Williams came straight out of high school and was a second round pick who barely played as a rookie and got sent to the D League as a sophmore.

Malik Monk was SEC Player of the year, shot 45% from the floor 40% from deep, averaged 20 ppg, and scored 47 when his team needed it the most. THIS is why they stopped letting players come straight out of high school and this why i have Frankophobia
In Thibs we trust.

spree#8
Likes given: 547

H20Knick wrote:
who were you expecting at 7th that wont be there at 8? There were probably 5 guys I could've gotten really excited about. Fultz, Jackson, Ball, Fox, Tatum in that order. At 6, one of them probably goes to us. But I dont really feel any worse about 8 than I did 7. If anything, it helps because at least now I dont have to become exasperated with Phil taking Frank over guys ahead of him on every single expert's draft ranking. We won't have a choice.

Maybe this is the moment where the Knicks are forced to take Monk and he ends up being the next Steph/AI/Isaiah? You know i'm always raving about players that have "that dog" in them. That killer instinct. That "big time players do big time things in big time games" switch that I think KP lacks.
Agreed. Picking at 8 instead of 7 just means that you have one less player to choose of, but the quality of the player we pick should basically be at the same level.
#knickstape
Don Che
Likes given: 9

Lou Williams could of went to college for 1 year and dropped 20 and did the same thing.

Really wouldnt surprise me....Monk is a far better athlete..Lou is quicker and can create offense on his own.

Ben Gordon is another guy Monk is similar to...and Gordon impressed me a ton as a collegian player from what i remember

Curry is the apex but if i judged them all at the same age...they all looked similar...Curry is just the smartest/also having a dad in the league doesnt hurt either.
Mr. Glass
Likes given: 63

shakespeare wrote:The 7th overall pick will go on to become an All-NBAer.

Book it.
Bro so right. Shades of your avatar for sure! I think we'll miss on Smith Jr. by one pick and...you know the rest of the story.
"I used to think drinking was bad for me, so I stopped thinking."

- Unknown
spree#8
Likes given: 547

Interesting take on some players that could be in play at 8:
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/1940 ... aft-steals
The odds worked in favor of the Boston Celtics at Tuesday night's NBA draft lottery, as the top seed in the Eastern Conference will also have the No. 1 pick in the 2017 NBA draft courtesy of a previous trade for the Nets' first-round pick. The Los Angeles Lakers, meanwhile, avoided losing their first-round pick via a conditional trade component and will select No. 2 overall.

Using ESPN Analytics' NBA draft model, we looked at the top five players who currently rank higher by our evaluation than in Chad Ford's latest version of the Big Board, and identified the teams that should think about selecting those players. The five players below could be potential steals in a league that is increasingly relying on analytics in its evaluation of talent. For more detail on how ESPN Analytics' draft model works, see this explainer.

1. Jonathan Isaac, SF, 6-foot-11, 205, Florida State (age on draft day: 20)

Chad Ford Big Board rank: 6
ESPN Analytics draft model rank: 1

Isaac has the top projected statistical plus-minus (SPM) for his first five years in the NBA, according to our model, which gives him a 64 percent chance to play at the level of a bona fide NBA starter or better. Isaac has the third-best adjusted defensive rebounding percentage in this draft class and a 55 percent adjusted effective field goal percentage, which is as good as any other small forward in this draft class. His college stats are most similar to those of Otto Porter, who was selected No. 3 by the Washington Wizards in 2013 and was a key piece for a team that finished a win away from the Eastern Conference finals this season.

It is unlikely that Isaac will work his way into the top three, but at No. 4, the Phoenix Suns could get a top-quality player if Isaac is available.

2. Malik Monk, SG, 6-3, 185, Kentucky (age on draft day: 19)

Chad Ford Big Board rank: 7
ESPN Analytics draft model rank: 3

Our data has shown guards to be more difficult to project than big men at the next level, as some guards are able to transfer their shooting to the NBA while others possess shooting flaws that aren't exposed until they play against bigger and faster defenses in the NBA. That said, the model gives Monk just a 25 percent chance of being a bust, which is the second-smallest figure in this draft for a guard after Lonzo Ball. Compared to the other top-60 players on Ford's Big Board, Monk is unique because he lacks any glaring weaknesses statistically, but the only statistic in which he really stands out is his having a low turnover percentage.

Ford has the Philadelphia 76ers taking Monk at No. 3 in his latest mock draft, and our model agrees that he is one of the three best players in the draft.

3. Lauri Markkanen, PF, 7-0, 230, Arizona (age on draft day: 19)

Chad Ford Big Board rank: 10
ESPN Analytics draft model rank: 4

Markkanen is a 7-footer who has the highest adjusted percentage on 3-point and free throw attempts of any forward in this draft class. He doesn't have the best rebounding percentages compared to other big men in the class, but he has the outside game that is sought from bigs in the modern NBA. Markkanen may not have the upside of other talent but is the second-least likely to be a bust, according to our model -- his college stats compare favorably to those of 11-time all-star Chris Bosh.

Markkanen may not be a splashy pick at No. 5, but he could be a good fit there for a Sacramento Kings team that is trying to fill the void left by DeMarcus Cousins.

4. Harry Giles, PF, 6-11, 232, Duke (age on draft day: 19)

Chad Ford Big Board rank: 12
ESPN Analytics draft model rank: 6

Although his minutes were limited at Duke as he recovered from a series of knee injuries, Giles was very efficient when he was on the court. He had an eFG percentage of 58 from the floor when adjusted for opponents' defensive strength, and he possesses the third-best adjusted offensive rebounding percentage in this draft class.

Injuries are the main concern for teams considering Giles, as his health brings added uncertainty that our model can't directly account for. But if the medical personnel of the teams drafting in the 6-10 range feel comfortable, Giles could be a steal.

5. Tony Bradley, C, 6-11, 250, North Carolina (age on draft day: 19)

Chad Ford Big Board rank: 20
ESPN Analytics draft model rank: 8

North Carolina was well-known for relying on the offensive glass to create scoring opportunities -- more than their opponents did -- during the Tar Heels' run to the NCAA title. Bradley was the one most responsible for that dominance on the boards, as he had an adjusted offensive rebounding percentage of 19 -- by far the best of anyone in this draft class. The model gives Bradley only a 31 percent chance of playing as a starter or better in the NBA, but gives him a 78 percent chance of playing at least as well as a solid rotation player in the league.

While he may not have the upside of other players available in the top half of the draft, for teams such as the Detroit Pistons, Denver Nuggets and Miami Heat, Bradley could solidify the bench and help them get over the hump and reach the playoffs next year.

For more from ESPN Analytics, visit the ESPN Analytics Index.
#knickstape
shakespeare

spree#8 wrote:
2. Malik Monk, SG, 6-3, 185, Kentucky (age on draft day: 19)

Chad Ford Big Board rank: 7
ESPN Analytics draft model rank: 3

Our data has shown guards to be more difficult to project than big men at the next level, as some guards are able to transfer their shooting to the NBA while others possess shooting flaws that aren't exposed until they play against bigger and faster defenses in the NBA. That said, the model gives Monk just a 25 percent chance of being a bust, which is the second-smallest figure in this draft for a guard after Lonzo Ball. Compared to the other top-60 players on Ford's Big Board, Monk is unique because he lacks any glaring weaknesses statistically, but the only statistic in which he really stands out is his having a low turnover percentage.

Ford has the Philadelphia 76ers taking Monk at No. 3 in his latest mock draft, and our model agrees that he is one of the three best players in the draft.
Ugh.

For some reason, I believe 6ers will go with Fox at 3.

Monk would be a better choice with Simmons and Embiid and Saric on board, but I see Fox in their future unless he completely blows his pre-draft workouts.
#TeamTank
shakespeare

Don Che wrote:Monk can also be Lou Williams
What's wrong with Lou Williams?
#TeamTank