Knicks meet with De'Aaron Fox, also scheduled meeting with Fultz

Discuss New York Knicks news, current events, players, and history.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv, cru77jones

Re: Knicks meet with De'Aaron Fox, also scheduled meeting with Fultz

Postby H20Knick » May 16, 2017, 1:21 pm

We can ill-afford to make our draft decision based on the presence or absence of a 33 year old.

I DO think there is a chance that Boston considers a swap though. 1 for 7 and Melo. They dont have a glaring need at PG. Their starters are solid with Thomas and Bradley, with Marcus Smart as the first off the bench. So there's no obvious need for Fultz or Ball. They JUST drafted Jaylen Brown 3rd last year, so they don't need Josh Jackson either. Assuming Melo will play 3 and 4, they could use a better C and a nice backup 2. Monk makes a nice candidate for backup 2, as does Ntilinka when you consider his skillset. Maybe Lauri Markannen as a 4 now who will be a 5 when he gets older/stronger. These guys should be gettable at 7. Moving up and ditching Melo at the same time certainly works for what the Knicks want to do. It could really work for both teams.

With Amir Johnson coming off the books, the celtics dont need to do much cap shedding to take Melo on. I worry that the Cs will desperately need a center though. It might help if we give them O'Quinn. I'd prefer not to give up Willy. We can probably arrange a 3 team trade where some team hands over a serviceable big to get Jae Crowder from them.

I have zero problem giving up anyone on the roster outside of KP and Willy G if it gets us from 7 to Fultz.
"Stay true. Orange and Blue" - Jeff Van Gundy

2015 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION

I'm down with K-PorZee
H20Knick

Postby Don Che » May 16, 2017, 1:30 pm

Tao, Melo has no bearing on my selection at all....if Josh Jackson is there where we pick..we pick em. IDC where Melo is at this point.

The main goal at this point is to get a crew that grows with KP...period

Will it depends on his progress.

H20 i agree completely if we get the 7th pick and can swap with Boston and give Melo..i do that a million times. for 2 reasons 1. franchise changer AND 2. cap space.

Issue is tho....that wont happen...if your Danny Ainge you dont wanna give a franchise cornerstone to a division team no matter what. If the Kings were in this scenerio than yeh but you never...NEVER wanna give the next Lebron/Duncan/Kyrie/Wall or whoever to a team in your division even if it makes you better at that set time.
Don Che

Postby spree#8 » May 16, 2017, 1:34 pm

H20Knick wrote:We can ill-afford to make our draft decision based on the presence or absence of a 33 year old.

I DO think there is a chance that Boston considers a swap though. 1 for 7 and Melo. They dont have a glaring need at PG. Their starters are solid with Thomas and Bradley, with Marcus Smart as the first off the bench. So there's no obvious need for Fultz or Ball. They JUST drafted Jaylen Brown 3rd last year, so they don't need Josh Jackson either. Assuming Melo will play 3 and 4, they could use a better C and a nice backup 2. Monk makes a nice candidate for backup 2, as does Ntilinka when you consider his skillset. Maybe Lauri Markannen as a 4 now who will be a 5 when he gets older/stronger. These guys should be gettable at 7. Moving up and ditching Melo at the same time certainly works for what the Knicks want to do. It could really work for both teams.

With Amir Johnson coming off the books, the celtics dont need to do much cap shedding to take Melo on. I worry that the Cs will desperately need a center though. It might help if we give them O'Quinn. I'd prefer not to give up Willy. We can probably arrange a 3 team trade where some team hands over a serviceable big to get Jae Crowder from them.

I have zero problem giving up anyone on the roster outside of KP and Willy G if it gets us from 7 to Fultz.

I also thought of a swap, though I see them take advantage of the first pick (if they luck out today) and trading it down to number 2. They probably get Ball (who fits better with Thomas) and get something/-one additional. Of course the number 2 team has to be high on Fultz, but I can see that as being likely.
#knickstape
spree#8

Postby Geolink » May 16, 2017, 4:50 pm

In a draft pool full of point guards... The position where we've had the most void in for damn near 20 years, we have a chance to finally draft a promising one... and we draft a damn forward. That would hurt.
Not changing until the Knicks win round 1 of the Eastern Conference playoffs. 12/10/2012

Geolink wrote:Must be nice to sit out for months from your job, still earn millions in guaranteed money, and fucking a nice model girlfriend at a tropical beach...
Geolink

Postby shakespeare » May 16, 2017, 5:22 pm

Geolink wrote:In a draft pool full of point guards. The position where we've had the most void in for damn near 20 years

I don't believe New York will draft their point guard of the future in this draft, not with the projected 7th pick, but I do believe we'll add talent to the roster that will improve the team, moving forward.

My fingers are crossed for one of those Kentucky Wildcat backcourt players.
The Porzingis blessing is real.
shakespeare
Writer

Postby n8 the gr8 » May 16, 2017, 6:10 pm

shakespeare wrote:I don't believe New York will draft their point guard of the future in this draft, not with the projected 7th pick, but I do believe we'll add talent to the roster that will improve the team, moving forward.

My fingers are crossed for one of those Kentucky Wildcat backcourt players.

That's a pessimistic way to look at it, but with the Knicks that's usually the right way to look at things.

I was curious so I decided to look at PGs taken in the top 8:

2016:
Kris Dunn (5)- I thought he was NBA ready, I was really high on him but he did not look great.
Jamal Murry (7)- Looked alright but not overly impressive.

2015:
Russel (2)- Not impressive.
Mudiay (7)- Also not impressive, I was really high on him as well. So I guess I'm not the greatest scout. :drunk:

2014:
Dante Exum (5)- Has shown nothing.
Marcus Smart (6)- He's come along quite a bit. He's solid but not a starter, he could be on some teams.

2012:
Damian Lillard (6)- Turned out well.

2011:
Kyrie Irving (1)- Could be a HOFer, really really good anyway.
Brandon Knight (8)- Very solid.
Bonus- Kemba Walker (9)- All-star, very good.

2010:
John Wall (1)- Arguably the 2nd or 3rd best player in the east these playoffs.

So other than Kyrie and Wall (that were surefire #1 picks) there aren't a lot of PGs drafted anywhere in the lottery that turn out to be real game-changers. But you also have to develop them to give them a shot. But 2009 is the other year that this class gets compared with: in terms of depth at the PG position and I won't remind you who was drafted 7th that year.
IMO it's kind of a crapshoot but so is every year. Definitely crossing fingers for the lottery but there's also a solid chance of getting a good starter with the 7th.
Trust Gaines
Doncic 2018
n8 the gr8

Postby H20Knick » May 16, 2017, 6:12 pm

[quote="shakespeare"]

Very true. I'm reminded a lot of the Jordan Hill draft that was loaded with PGs. I was so mad we didn't get a PG.
Rubio, Flynn, Curry, Jennings, Holiday, Lawson, Teague, Maynor, Collison.

If you were in the lottery, you only got a franchise player if you got Curry. Rubio is good, but he's not a franchise PG. Flynn is out of the league, Jennings is a backup. Holiday and Teague are the only other all-stars from that list and they went 17 and 19. Maynor's out of the league. Lawson is a backup. Collison is just slightly better than average.

The moral of my story is that of Fultz, Ball, Fox, Smith, Ntilinka... 2-3 of those guys will probably be a bust and some guys drafted later in the round will end up being really good. We certainly arent guaranteed a stud at 7.

I'm down with K-PorZee
H20Knick

Postby n8 the gr8 » May 16, 2017, 6:18 pm

Since we only have a couple more hours to fantasize about scenarios where the Knicks are picking in the top 3; what would you want to see the Knicks do with the #3 pick assuming Fultz and Ball are off the board? I'd be tempted to take Fox but I'd also be ok with taking Jackson and saying goodbye to Melo if he's that much better than everyone else remaining.
Trust Gaines
Doncic 2018
n8 the gr8

Postby thewatcher » May 16, 2017, 6:45 pm

I'm getting ready for the 8th pick :( Image
n8 the gr8 wrote:
The first rule of NYKFP is you don't talk about NYKFP.
thewatcher

Postby H20Knick » May 16, 2017, 7:10 pm

n8 the gr8 wrote:Since we only have a couple more hours to fantasize about scenarios where the Knicks are picking in the top 3; what would you want to see the Knicks do with the #3 pick assuming Fultz and Ball are off the board? I'd be tempted to take Fox but I'd also be ok with taking Jackson and saying goodbye to Melo if he's that much better than everyone else remaining.

Im taking Jackson. If we're 2, id see what i could get to trade down to 4

I'm down with K-PorZee
H20Knick

Postby Mr. Glass » May 16, 2017, 8:35 pm

Let's get some 1985 mojo going up in this bitch!!!
"Mother said render you unconscious. I'm going to render you unconscious." LL Cool J
Mr. Glass

Postby thewatcher » May 16, 2017, 8:36 pm

Monk sounds like he enjoys the pick and roll.
n8 the gr8 wrote:
thewatcher

Postby thewatcher » May 16, 2017, 8:40 pm

Wow so much at stake for Lakers.
n8 the gr8 wrote:
thewatcher

Postby Mr3037 » May 16, 2017, 9:19 pm

thewatcher wrote:I'm getting ready for the 8th pick :( Image
NYK Fan since 92
NYKFP Fan since 04

23 years & counting...Bleeding Orange & Blue
Mr3037

Postby shakespeare » May 17, 2017, 9:14 am

Meeting with Fox and Fultz...

Hilarious.

That's like meeting with Curry and Durant during free agency signings -- Knicks don't own a chance in the world at signings any of these players.
Last edited by shakespeare on May 17, 2017, 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Porzingis blessing is real.
shakespeare
Writer

Postby Rusty La Rue » May 17, 2017, 9:19 am

T'Wolves will probably pick Monk at 7 and then he turns out to be the next Steph Curry:-(
"Everybody gets excited about youth except the coach, because he knows youth means mistakes, mistakes mean losses, losses means you're fired."
Rusty La Rue

Postby H20Knick » May 18, 2017, 10:24 am

I wish we could just erase all traces of this thread

I'm down with K-PorZee
H20Knick

Postby nazrmohamed » May 18, 2017, 1:22 pm

Geolink wrote:In a draft pool full of point guards... The position where we've had the most void in for damn near 20 years, we have a chance to finally draft a promising one... and we draft a damn forward. That would hurt.

In a draft full of guards
In a league full of guardd

Think for a sec. With this many guards, some team with guards is still gonna pick a guard. So therefore an established pg might be available via trade. Not saying you havr to do this. I just have issues when peoples thinking are linear.

We need a pg, there are pgs in this draft =we must get pg in this draft. Some forward might be a better player than a pg drafted at pick 8.
PHISHER
nazrmohamed

Postby taowave » May 18, 2017, 1:42 pm

You guys have nothing to worry about

On Phil we Bust..I mean trust

Knicks president Phil Jackson also issued an odd remark last month, saying the Knicks weren’t looking for players in the draft who “can jump out of the gym and do a triple-double game.’’
taowave

Previous

Return to New York Knicks