Countdown to the biggest day this season...

Discuss New York Knicks news, current events, players, and history.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv

Mr3037
Likes given: 0

That's so crazy! It doesnt make sense to me but with a 5.3% shot at the #1 pick.....

NYK Fan since 92
NYKFP Fan since 04

28 years & counting...Bleeding Orange & Blue
n8 the gr8
Likes given: 158

Mr3037 wrote:That's so crazy! It doesnt make sense to me
It's because the lottery is only for the first 3 spots. So either you win the lottery and get a top 3 pick, you stay in the same place, or the team(s) that were behind you win the lottery and get some of the first 3 picks.
"dam,we got a crier"
~tao

"Throw Payton out and get it over with. I'm getting hungry."
~Clyde
Mr3037

Ah ok well that does make sense actually!
NYK Fan since 92
NYKFP Fan since 04

Mr3037

Question - When can we actually trade Melo?
NYK Fan since 92
NYKFP Fan since 04

nbafreak724

As we get closer to the day, what's the general consensus on Frank? I know Fox seems to be everybody's top choice considering our position, but if he's not available at the time, is Frank a better fit than Smith?
"Come at the king, you best not miss."
Don Che
Likes given: 9

nbafreak724 wrote:As we get closer to the day, what's the general consensus on Frank? I know Fox seems to be everybody's top choice considering our position, but if he's not available at the time, is Frank a better fit than Smith?
that is the million dollar question

If Phil and co. think Frank can be a plus defender FROM DAY 1 in the NBA....i'll be fine with picking him and just wait to see if his offense will turn around.

otherwise...while Dennis isnt a plus defender consistently and has an injured past..you can't deny what the kid CAN do.
lxn_

^^ between those 2 ill go with Frank. Ive had a hard time though convincing myself to not go with Smith, the guy can score bigtime and has an nba ready body. In the end like what don said defense is what separates him from Frank and fox.

Im also curious, are there guys who came in to the league as good scorers, bad defenders but after a few seasons their defense became good?. Cuz I know a lot who came in as a good defender who aren't good scorers/shooters eventually evolve to be reliable to good scorers after a few seasons. Bottom line is we have to commit to that defensive culture we hope to establish going forward.
Don Che

lxn_ wrote:^^ between those 2 ill go with Frank. Ive had a hard time though convincing myself to not go with Smith, the guy can score bigtime and has an nba ready body. In the end like what don said defense is what separates him from Frank and fox.

Im also curious, are there guys who came in to the league as good scorers, bad defenders but after a few seasons their defense became good?. Cuz I know a lot who came in as a good defender who aren't good scorers/shooters eventually evolve to be reliable to good scorers after a few seasons. Bottom line is we have to commit to that defensive culture we hope to establish going forward.
thats the only reason I put Frank as an option.

Only the greats come in scoring 20 and defending average and build on that....otherwise defense is a mindset..offense is work ethic/opportunity/consistency.

But more often than not a player is able to play NBA minutes because he defends, the reason why he can play a lot of minutes is because he can do that and score.

Offensive players(unless your dropping 30) usually come in in pockets of time as a boost.

With where we are in our build....you go defense first and dont ask twice. Fultz is the only player that has a shaky defensive past that i still take because of how much he does on the floor. Otherwise...defense first
spree#8
Likes given: 540

Mr3037 wrote:Question - When can we actually trade Melo?
Whenever he wants. :P

On a more serious note: we could try to trade him right now to a team that also is already out of the playoffs or missed it, but only for players who are under contract for at least next season. So the team and player pool is smaller making it unlikely to happen this far in advance of the NBA draft. Most likely scenario is after July 1st, because then other teams could sign-and-trade players in a Melo deal.
#knickstape
spree#8

#knickstape
H20Knick
Likes given: 3

So the slowest, weakest pg in the lottery... The one who has never shared a court with a future NBA pg in his life... is the one you trust to be an elite defender?

I'm not saying that DSJ is a good defender. I'm not saying that Fultz is a bad one. I know that Fox is a good one. But no one can claim to know anything about whether or not Frank can be competitive defensively on an NBA level. He's never faced anywhere near the speed and strength of what he'll find in the NBA. Every pundit wants to talk about some awards he won in an UNDER 18 tournament. That's called high school basketball in america. I'm sure DSJ probably looked damn good in high school too.
In Thibs we trust.

2018 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION
2015 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION
Don Che

hence I said if Phil and Co. believe hes a good defender from day 1.

Also while your point is completely accurate...so far we have multiple scouts who focus on overseas prospects and have consistently said he can defend/good tools/pass first guy....if that translates thats a totally diff ball game but thats what Phil and his scouts are there to figure out.
Muzhik1

So I have been living under a rock since last December when I quit watching this team, but things look interesting now.

As far as I see it, this team needs a total rebuilding process. With a lottery pick and two second rounders, we are in a good spot. I think Dolan made the right decision to veto that Lowry trade. We need young talent to rebuild.

I would even trade Porzingis for a second high lottery pick. I am not high on the kid. If Phil can pull off a trade where he can get a package of vets and another first round pick this year for Carmelo, we could have a team that's really to roll next year.
Mr3037

Trading KP will re-up the Ewing curse, believe me
NYK Fan since 92
NYKFP Fan since 04

noypi
Likes given: 24

Muzhik1 wrote:So I have been living under a rock since last December when I quit watching this team, but things look interesting now.

As far as I see it, this team needs a total rebuilding process. With a lottery pick and two second rounders, we are in a good spot. I think Dolan made the right decision to veto that Lowry trade. We need young talent to rebuild.

I would even trade Porzingis for a second high lottery pick. I am not high on the kid. If Phil can pull off a trade where he can get a package of vets and another first round pick this year for Carmelo, we could have a team that's really to roll next year.
I'm not high on KP too but I would not trade him. He may have shown flashes of brilliance but he looks like a Robin to someone's Batman. He is still a very good building block. Somebody said it best that KP is who you want your lottery picks to become. Unless you trade him for a sure fire LeBron James, Dwyane Wade or Carmelo Anthony type rookie, you don't pull that trigger. The draft is still a crapshoot even if you get the first pick. Trade KP to a sure thing, like a KP and our 2017 1st rounder for KAT and their future first rd pick/2nd rd picks.
“I’m still chasing a championship, I’m just chasing it here in New York,’’ Anthony said. “I’ve come to peace with that. I’m doing it in my own way on my own time.”

http://nypost.com/2015/10/27/greatest-c ... -with-nyc/
lxn_

H20Knick wrote:So the slowest, weakest pg in the lottery... The one who has never shared a court with a future NBA pg in his life... is the one you trust to be an elite defender?

I'm not saying that DSJ is a good defender. I'm not saying that Fultz is a bad one. I know that Fox is a good one. But no one can claim to know anything about whether or not Frank can be competitive defensively on an NBA level. He's never faced anywhere near the speed and strength of what he'll find in the NBA. Every pundit wants to talk about some awards he won in an UNDER 18 tournament. That's called high school basketball in america. I'm sure DSJ probably looked damn good in high school too.
its not only Phil & Co who believes Frank has the potential to be a lockdown defender, but most scouts and mock draft sites project him to be a good defender on the next level as well. And of course the personal eye test, Ive seen a lot of vids on the top pgs on this draft and defensively I like him the most. He moves well, disrupts passing lanes and loves the challenge, he also seems fundamentally sound.
as far as strength and speed. Im with you I also think hes the slowest and weakest among the Pgs in this draft but hes also displayed to most progress within the last few months. In his latest workout vids he looked more muscular and faster, also shot above 40% from euro 3 this season. In my opinion he is addressing his weaknesses fast.
to me its
1.fox
2.Monk/frank
3.smith(also factoring injury history)
noypi
Likes given: 24

It's hard to pass on Fox if he's on board when we pick. Actually, I'd be exasperated if we pass on Fox if he's available, I think he's gone at 5th-6th pick. But Frank seems like a good consolation pg. Long arms, wide shoulders and he's the youngest player in this draft only 18yrs old.
“I’m still chasing a championship, I’m just chasing it here in New York,’’ Anthony said. “I’ve come to peace with that. I’m doing it in my own way on my own time.”

http://nypost.com/2015/10/27/greatest-c ... -with-nyc/
Don Che

Me being ok with us taking Frank is purely based on if Fox is on the board.

Fox reminds me of Dennis Schroeder and Elfrid Payton which isnt that big of a impact but...Fox is faster then both of them and he did play big in the tournament. Dennis didnt play here and Elfrid played for a smaller school

but I'd hate for us to go crazy for Elfrid payton taken 7th.

I want these guys to battle eachother in workouts. If Frank goes after Fox i'll view this all differently.

Only guys that i feel i know somewhat is Fultz/Jackson/Dennis and a lil bit of Lonzo.
spree#8

My daily pic:

#knickstape
spree#8

3 days:

#knickstape