Article - "Why Carmelo Anthony must leave Knicks..."

Discuss New York Knicks news, current events, players, and history.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv, cru77jones

Re: Article - "Why Carmelo Anthony must leave Knicks..."

Postby Don Che » May 4, 2017, 5:17 pm

as i mention the off the ball play....just read on dailyknicks that Wally Z likes the best shooter in the draft in the triangle..malik monk

i like Monk...but his defense and playmaking leaves alot to be desired plus Will/kp/Monk can score but we would need 2 playmakers to make that all work because Lee/Melo arent those guys

I want to see the triangle played by players it benefits....thats it

and for Phil and Jeff to work things out btwn them and Jeff be the only guy the players respect...players wont run through a wall for you unless they know your boss.
Don Che

Postby Mr3037 » May 4, 2017, 6:37 pm

Honestly I dont think it matters TOO MUCH re who we take in the draft as at 6-8 you are getting about the same quality of player if you pick somewhat smartly. As long as Phil doesnt go too far outside the box it will be fine.

We'll add another young player to our roster that's hopefully capable of starting next season.

It would be good to get another pick in this draft through a Melo trade....doesnt have to be THAT high but a late 1st round to early 2nd rounder to go with our picks, KP, Willy etc would be good to watch.

I'd MUCH prefer to watch us play kids for the next couple of years, see them develop and THEN add big $ FA's around them to fill whatever gaps than us try to 'reload' with older players that will only regress by the time KP is in his prime.

I'm also looking long term in that when KP's rookie deal is up I dont want there to be any doubt in his mind about staying. Granted we'd get a lot in return if we traded him but he's the best thing that's happened to our Knicks in decades and I dont wanna lose that
NYK Fan since 92
NYKFP Fan since 04

23 years & counting...Bleeding Orange & Blue
Mr3037

Postby noypi » May 4, 2017, 11:05 pm

Don Che wrote:as i mention the off the ball play....just read on dailyknicks that Wally Z likes the best shooter in the draft in the triangle..malik monk

i like Monk...but his defense and playmaking leaves alot to be desired plus Will/kp/Monk can score but we would need 2 playmakers to make that all work because Lee/Melo arent those guys

I want to see the triangle played by players it benefits....thats it

and for Phil and Jeff to work things out btwn them and Jeff be the only guy the players respect...players wont run through a wall for you unless they know your boss.

Then let's hope Melo accepts a trade to the Blazers. Melo for Evan Turner, Festus Ezeli and one of their 2017 1st round pick works salary wise.

Turner is only 28, can play defense and is also a playmaker at sg/sf spot. Ezeli is a good center who won the chip with Golden State maybe he can impart his experience on our young guys. Portland also has the 15th and 20th pick in the 2017 draft, at least Melo is worth the 15th pick. Also, if we can get Aminu or Vonleh in the process then it's a huge win for us. I don't care who we trade to get them, they're better. Supposing we get a free agent pg, our lineup could look like this:

Jrue/Teague
Monk/Fox/DSJ/Ntilikina
Turner
KP
Willy

15th pick (Anunoby/Ferguson/Mitchell)
Lee
Noah
Ezeli
Baker
Randle
Holiday
Thomas
Kuz
Ndour
Plumlee

Package in a trade some of our young guys like Kuz, Ndour Plumlee and maybe Randle for future 1st round picks or 2017 2nd rounders. I don't see all of them making it in the lineup next year. The lineup is not good enough to make the playoffs but we're getting younger and could position ourselves in the lottery again next year. :LOL:
“I’m still chasing a championship, I’m just chasing it here in New York,’’ Anthony said. “I’ve come to peace with that. I’m doing it in my own way on my own time.”

http://nypost.com/2015/10/27/greatest-c ... -with-nyc/
noypi

Postby gradyandrew » May 5, 2017, 1:01 am

3037, I agree. I never make predictions on the draft. for all the incompetence that the front office shows they have done a great job drafting in the post Weiss world.
Championship or bust.
gradyandrew

Postby gradyandrew » May 5, 2017, 1:02 am

nyopi, Portland has a lot of pieces. i just don't think Melo would ever accept it.
Championship or bust.
gradyandrew

Postby Don Che » May 5, 2017, 8:00 am

Melo to Portland has been an option in my mind also

And it was for that exact trade also Lol and I think that's fair.

I don't see why teague or Jrue would come here but I'd do that trade regardless

I'd look to have Monk defend the 1 and get another guard like Eric snow to defend either spot and leave Monk alone to score since thats all he can do

Its really hard for me to sell myself on monk.... only way he's worth it is if he's going to be a 20 ppg scorer....secondary playmaker and an average defender. Can he do this? Yes...will he?....huge gamble because for every Stephen curry there's a million Lou Williams/Ben Gordons.... I'd also take prime monta Ellis if that's an option
Don Che

Postby Don Che » May 8, 2017, 9:09 pm

I'm curious to see al farouq aminu in this offense

He fits what the offense and defense require to work.

Melo for Aminu and the 16th pick is fair
Don Che

Postby noypi » May 8, 2017, 10:18 pm

Don Che wrote:Melo to Portland has been an option in my mind also

And it was for that exact trade also Lol and I think that's fair.

Great minds think alike lol.
“I’m still chasing a championship, I’m just chasing it here in New York,’’ Anthony said. “I’ve come to peace with that. I’m doing it in my own way on my own time.”

noypi

Postby noypi » May 8, 2017, 10:28 pm

Don Che wrote:I'm curious to see al farouq aminu in this offense

He fits what the offense and defense require to work.

Melo for Aminu and the 16th pick is fair

I like that Melo for Aminu and 15th pick better but shouldn't salaries match? I'm willing to take in Evan Turner's longer contract if we're gonna get Aminu. Imagine a frontcourt of KP, Willy and Aminu. Willy's defensive deficiencies will be covered by KP's length and rim protection and Aminu's length at the wings. Throw in Lance and any youngins not named KP we got if we get Aminu. If Melo is not traded to Cleveland, Washington or Boston, he might as well move West to an up and coming team because those three teams and maybe Milwaukee will rule the East in the next 3-5 years.

noypi

Postby Mr3037 » May 9, 2017, 12:32 am

Hmmmm I like the 15th pick and the fact Aminu is only 26......but will Melo really agree to go there?
NYK Fan since 92
NYKFP Fan since 04

Mr3037

Postby Don Che » May 9, 2017, 12:35 pm

its logical...he has a PG thats a franchise player....a Center thats a monster when healthy.

Its a spot where he can never be doubled.

Harkless can start at the 3 for them...Melo is protected on all fronts while letting him iso on offense....It really does make sense for both sides.

We take Aminu/15th pick/Turner or Crabbe maybe? not sure but a focus of Aminu and 15th is great for us.
Don Che

Postby Mr3037 » May 9, 2017, 9:18 pm

I'd ask Portland for Picks 15 & 26 + we take Turner/Aminu for Melo. See how serious they are about competing.
NYK Fan since 92
NYKFP Fan since 04

Mr3037

Postby Don Che » May 9, 2017, 9:29 pm

again...to me thats fair.

Monk or Frank/Ike/Josh Hart

lets get risky

I think if we trade Melo...we need a rookie that can score. I get how rookies arent asked to do that..but lets be honest...KP can only take so many shots.

I wouldnt be surprised if we keep Rose if we draft Frank. But..if we go str8 up wacky and take Monk whos the best gun slinger in this draft outside of Fultz(Tatum is 3rd)

itll be great to see Turner/Baker/Hart all around Monk to take playmaking duties.
Don Che

Postby Mr3037 » May 9, 2017, 10:21 pm

Yeah if we trade Melo I agree with whatever picks we have we need to get a scorer in with 1 of the higher picks, doesnt have to be our top pick though as regardless I'd like to see our draftees get plenty of PT in a tank-happy 2017-18 season
NYK Fan since 92
NYKFP Fan since 04

Mr3037

Postby Don Che » May 9, 2017, 10:36 pm

watching the playoffs just makes me think...you get 2 players that have potential on both ends of the floor in their prime....get some passed their prime players to come off the bench or play a role..the rest..high IQ athletes and/or shooters

Turner at 28 ...is a great guy to have...no matter what PG we get he will help being a playmaker and defending at a good rate.

straight up...between Frank/Monk/Fox even the top 3....who can be great on BOTH ENDS of the floor at any given time?

KP isnt great now..he may never be..but on any given night he can drop 25 on you...can get 5 blocks in a game...even had some huge rebound games as a rookie...we need things like that..flashes of greatness in all aspects of the game at any given time.

Monk can drop 30....what else can he do any given night?

Fox can lock a PG down...can get you 15 assists one night...may even get buckets actually...as im writing this i cant think of something he will suck at outside of shooting

Frank...he can lock down a 1-3...but can he do anything else?

get my point?
Don Che

Postby Mr3037 » May 9, 2017, 11:01 pm

I've got 0 knowledge on this draft class......Fox & Monk sound alright though.......if only we could get both!
NYK Fan since 92
NYKFP Fan since 04

Mr3037

Postby lxn_ » May 10, 2017, 12:11 am

Melo to portland scenario didnt cross my mind.. But I like it. That 15th pick and Aminu is pretty much whats enticing to me. TBH though I dont know much about him besides his physical profile and age(26) 6'9 decent length. Can someone enlighten me about his game, what are his pros and cons?
and if we get OG(probably the best wing defender in this class) or Justin with 15th we have that defensive players to build the foundation on. Then tank next season and do either scenario.
1. KP commits to playing center and has actually added some weight and got stronger.- draft the best playmaker in the 2018 draft in Luka Doncic. OR
2. KP prefers the 4 for his career and get either Bamba or Ayton. Im ok with both but leaning a bit towards bamba, he has that Gobert game in him and actually has a reliable jumpshot and a ton of room to improve.
This portland deal could speed up the rebuild about a year or 2. I hope Melo is a fan of Dame and their big guy who can pass too in Nurkic.
lxn_

Postby Mr3037 » May 10, 2017, 12:47 am

Yeah Portland never crossed my mind either so nice thinking Don!

It's just a matter of how close they will be WITH Melo for Melo to consider joining......especially if we take Aminu or a few picks off them.
NYK Fan since 92
NYKFP Fan since 04

Mr3037

Postby Rusty La Rue » May 10, 2017, 1:24 am

Melo is not going to Portland... He knows his ship is sailed with Golden State being so strong the next three or four years... so if he accepts a trade it is probably to LA or somewhere he wants to live and that is not Portland >:( So we probably need a three team trade if we do not want to deal straigt up with the Clippers or we can try to send him to Brooklyn but what do they have that we want?
"Everybody gets excited about youth except the coach, because he knows youth means mistakes, mistakes mean losses, losses means you're fired."
Rusty La Rue

Postby lxn_ » May 10, 2017, 7:58 am

^^^^sadly I agree with that. Melo really wants LA. I just dont want Austin frekin Rivers and JJ redick in return. Lets hope melo loves NY to the point that he sees to it we get something good in return.
Here are the deals i would like Phil to avoid.
1. Melo to CLE for love straight up if Cle loses to warriors.
2. Melo for griffin straight up with no picks.
3. Melo for Rivers and redick.
lxn_

PreviousNext

Return to New York Knicks