Phil Admits the Melo Era Should End

Discuss New York Knicks news, current events, players, and history.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv, cru77jones

Re: Phil Admits the Melo Era Should End

Postby taowave » April 17, 2017, 1:32 pm

I dont think Dolan guaranteeing Phil 24 mil has anything to do with Phil surviving...

Ild take H20 in a heartbeat..

Phil is lost.The guy is averaging 1 coach per year.

The fact that Rambis is still here is mind boggling.From all accounts,he is universally despised by the players..
taowave

Postby Don Che » April 17, 2017, 3:40 pm

If Phil just stopped talking/tweeting it wouldnt be that bad

I dont think he understands that this position of his is all about relationships within his organization and others.

First thing he should do...is get a meeting with Jeff and iron out their vision from top to bottom. From there...you articulate that to KP and Melo and execute that that plan 100% from here on out..."No half Measures" - Mike

In new york and today's media you can only survive here if the President/GM/Coach are all ride or die for eachother becacuse theres too many cameras all over the place trying to start gossip...too many ppl eat on clicks in this market. Jeff and Phil have to articulate where they stand and not in a boss to employee thing but a man to man thing.
Don Che

Postby taowave » April 17, 2017, 4:35 pm

Totally agree Don.Slot of Phil's problems are needlessly self inflicted.He needs to keep private matters private.

The Phil ,Rambis Jeff triangle needs to be straightened out.Personally I think Rambis should go.
taowave

Postby dcapodic » April 17, 2017, 4:53 pm

H20Knick wrote:this cumguzzing sack of shit had the audacity to sit there and say he wanted to put a team around Melo KP and LANCE THOMAS?! And then in regards to melo he says "We need players who are active on every play on Offense and Defense. That's our direction we have to go" but then 5 minutes later says "I like who Derrick represents as himself - a warrior taking on a big challenge." Our turnstile of a PG who only cares about defense if its in the courtroom. This guy is a warrior. GTFOH.

my hatred of phil is trumped only by my hatred for d'antoni

my hatred of phil is trumped only by my hatred for d'antoni

Is that Mike D'Antoni....the favorite for coach of the year honors and leading the 3rd seed in the west to the playoffs? He should be an example for you....it is amazing what a coach can do if you let him run his system and give him the players he needs.

But i digress from the thread topic....
- Thanasis Antetokounmpo spelled backwards is Opmnuokotetna (which is Swahili for Hand Sanitizer). Mr. Glass, circa 2014
dcapodic

Postby Koopa Troopa » April 17, 2017, 4:58 pm

I dont really want to forgive Dantoni. But he is an example of a guy that MAY have learned from his mistakes. Giving Harden the absolute green light is the complete opposite of what he did with Steph. Harden is not a Steve Nash type and is not playing anything like Nash... So I dont know, I'd want to imagine he regrets what he did to Steph. But that is unknown cause I dont know him and nobody asks him these things.

And no, Phil is too far gone. Even if he shuts up now, hes already built up a reputation and players will not forget what hes said about Lebron and his current players. They wont forget him backseat coaching etc. Its too late for him. Kristaps not doing the exit interview should have been the final nail in the coffin.

Think Dolan is just getting "Isiah'ed" again. Hes probably intimidated or too swayed by Phil's presence to have the balls to remove him. Either that or he has a guaranteed deal for x amount of years.
Koopa Troopa

Postby H20Knick » April 17, 2017, 11:20 pm

dcapodic wrote:
Is that Mike D'Antoni....the favorite for coach of the year honors and leading the 3rd seed in the west to the playoffs? He should be an example for you....it is amazing what a coach can do if you let him run his system and give him the players he needs.

But i digress from the thread topic....

yeah, it's amazing what a coach can do when he learns to play the hand he's dealt, keep his mouth shut, give his best player absolute free reign instead of telling him to stand in the corner and shoot 3s, and not start his tenure by benching the one guy capable of running his offense in favor of a bench product out of duke.

A year or two in the commentary booth will teach you some humility I guess.

Wake me up if they beat the Spurs in the 2nd round. Otherwise I'm just going to do what all the Woodson haters do and say D'antoni just got lucky this year.
"Stay true. Orange and Blue" - Jeff Van Gundy

2015 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION

I'm down with K-PorZee
H20Knick

Postby Don Che » April 18, 2017, 7:34 am

Marburg was already toxic at that point... he tried to make Melo a passer but Melo didn't pass...and neither of them are Harden.

Mike was "eh" in my book but don't sit and front like we gave him the guys he needs to win.

We didnt.

Same way we aren't now. Only coach that ever got what he wanted here was woodson because him and grunnie were best of pals.

Fix the Jackson and Jeff relationship and you'll see a change here
Don Che

Postby taowave » April 18, 2017, 9:39 am

Don,Phil wants Rambis. That's his comfort level.In fairness to Phil,he should live by the Triangle sword or die by the Triangle sword..

Jeff is not part of team triangle..

Look how well the Heat have done despite losing Wade and Bosh.Polestra is Riley's guy.Its obvious.

The Knicks are an absolute mess from top to bottom.KP said it back in February.Its only gotten worse.

I am so disgusted that I'm ready to let Phil coach the home games and Rambis the away games. At this point,another lottery pick is probably the best thing for us..
taowave

Postby Don Che » April 18, 2017, 9:52 am

Rambis and Phil are boys...the only issue is and something we have to consider is...the only other guys who were ever his guys are now

1. coaching for the 2 teams obv going to the finals

2. LA

Rambis is all thats left(if he had more personality than a gym bag ppl wouldnt mind him) unless there was another guy Phil had as an assistant that I forgot about but Lue/Kerr(not an assistant but a Phil guy)/Walton were our only chances...heck watch the Warriors and Cavs play theres triangle action all over their sets.

I'm good with living and dying by it..we played better team ball later in the season...the happy medium is....Jeff is forced to run the triangle and Phil is forced to fire Rambis and let Jeff pick his assistant coach.

both sides are a lil happy and a lil sad and both save face..Jeff handles all the grunt work with players..Phil stays in a castle and players shouldnt go to a seminar..JEFF SHOULD. Phil and Jeff should watch every game possible together and break down each prinicple 1 by 1....so when training camp starts..Jeff will know how to teach it and articulate it to his guys and hes the boss...all in game stuff is on him..If Phil has a problem..he DOESNT tweet..he doesnt wait stay silent and crap on players at the end...he gets up and talks to Jeff..ONLY. And Jeff....handles the players.

its so simple..it may actually work.
Don Che

Postby Don Che » April 18, 2017, 10:56 am

Via dailyKnicks.com

Anthony finished the 2016-17 regular season at No. 418 in the NBA in Defensive Real Plus-Minus. It’s also worth noting that the Knicks allowed 111.1 points per 100 possessions with the 10-time All-Star on the floor.

Of the players who were on the court for at least 1,000 minutes in 2016-17, no player on the Knicks had a worse defensive rating than Anthony.

By comparison, the Knicks had a team-best defensive rating of 104.7 points per 100 possessions with Anthony on the bench. That’s a difference of 6.4 points per 100 possessions, as well as a telling sign of his influence on the defensive end of the floor.

This is all we have been saying for a while

Can't win without defense...Phil may have been wrong on how he did it....doesn't mean he's actually wrong tho
Don Che

Postby taowave » April 18, 2017, 11:54 am

But Don, everyone knew this coming in.Some knew it before the ink was dry when Anthony was resigned and actually had value.

Back then, Anthony was already showing wear and tear.His only real success came at the 4. All that is on Phil.The scary part is Phil did the exact same thing with Noah. He doesn't learn.Think about it. He throws caution to the wind and Locks up a guy who has been broken down for 4 years and is on the wrong side of 30.

Everyone knows Anthony can't play D.
Everyone knows Rose can't play D.
Everyone knows Noah is a shell of his former self.

At least with Rose,it was hopefully a one and done.

A trade kicker and a NTC with Melo?
A 4 year deal for Noah?
Do you love the Courtney Lee contract?

Don,Phil is dead wrong.
taowave

Postby Don Che » April 18, 2017, 1:48 pm

I dont see how your point negates mine lol

Phil resigned him 3 years ago...Melo doesnt play defense and its Phil's fault..i really wish we all had that same leash at our jobs. Melo was hired to do a job...Phil signed him and said passing and defense needs to improve..he said it privately years ago via Melo and Phil..said it publically every time hes had a chance.

how does Melo not receive any responsibility for this? and Phil's vision of what he wants to build..makes complete sense to me..he wants young guys who defend/move the ball/move off the ball and play system ball, I watch the Spurs and Utah Jazz..thats what I want us to look like... those are things that aren't "wrong" in theory.

I do feel Phil should leave because of how he manages ppl not because of lack of knowledge or w/e. Only way he redeems himself this offseason is if:

1. draft the best 3/2/1 that can defend from day 1
2. let rose walk
3. either get 1 starting caliber player or solid 1st rounder and not much added cap space for Melo if we get both...cheers
4. get on the same page as Jeff

if he does this....I'm good with the outcome.

He can easily compound our issues messing any of those 4 things up.

So yeh...Phil has made mistakes but I dont see it as nonredeemable mistakes. Hes not giving out Jerome James/Jared Jeffries contracts with Eddy Curry trades just yet.

I wanted to be in the lottery 2015 and 2017....for the sake of sustained success down the line. I've been hoping this was the case since 2012
Don Che

Postby Koopa Troopa » April 18, 2017, 3:53 pm

Don Che wrote:I dont see how your point negates mine lol

Phil resigned him 3 years ago...Melo doesnt play defense and its Phil's fault..i really wish we all had that same leash at our jobs. Melo was hired to do a job...Phil signed him and said passing and defense needs to improve..he said it privately years ago via Melo and Phil..said it publically every time hes had a chance.

how does Melo not receive any responsibility for this?

Just saying though, Phils boy Rambis is the defense coach no?

We single out Melo, but the whole team was horrid on defense. Down the line, the starting five all the way to the bench warmers. Name anyone....anyone, and we know they were
1. not being taught properly (Porzingis leading the league in fouls)
2. werent showing the proper effort (even a guy like Lee, who is a proven good defender showed he didnt care on many games), or
3. tricked Phil into thinking they can defend anything (lance thomas signed for 5 years :o )

Sure we can blame Melo for not leading the way, but I really think its an organization thing. Everything is bad. Phil in Hornaceks ass with the triangle, Rambis' existence, Phil disgracing the franchise on a regular basis.

When we see Kristaps not do exit interviews and then publicly state he wants melo to stay for years to come....who are you backing? KP wants Melo. If you want KP, you better be supporting Carmelo and not Phil, cause your future will walk away when his contract ends.
Koopa Troopa

Postby taowave » April 18, 2017, 4:07 pm

Don,we wouldn't be having the finger pointing game if Phil didn't hand out the NTC.

Melo is definitely a big part of the problem, but the NTC is really the issue.

Its time for Melo to move on,and I have accepted pennies on the Dollar.

Phil got another pass,but he must show some sign of improvement on some level.

We have regressed in every facet of the game,from top to bottom.

The fact that Rambis is still here is all telling.

I don't think Phil is in it to win it..Not with Jeff..

Don Che wrote:I dont see how your point negates mine lol

how does Melo not receive any responsibility for this? and Phil's vision of what he wants to build..makes complete sense to me..he wants young guys who defend/move the ball/move off the ball and play system ball, I watch the Spurs and Utah Jazz..thats what I want us to look like... those are things that aren't "wrong" in theory.

I do feel Phil should leave because of how he manages ppl not because of lack of knowledge or w/e. Only way he redeems himself this offseason is if:

1. draft the best 3/2/1 that can defend from day 1
2. let rose walk
3. either get 1 starting caliber player or solid 1st rounder and not much added cap space for Melo if we get both...cheers
4. get on the same page as Jeff

if he does this....I'm good with the outcome.

He can easily compound our issues messing any of those 4 things up.

So yeh...Phil has made mistakes but I dont see it as nonredeemable mistakes. Hes not giving out Jerome James/Jared Jeffries contracts with Eddy Curry trades just yet.

I wanted to be in the lottery 2015 and 2017....for the sake of sustained success down the line. I've been hoping this was the case since 2012
taowave

Postby Don Che » April 18, 2017, 5:21 pm

i dunno man we were pretty bad before he came here also lol

but yeh this offseason will say a lot

If Phil is not willing to work with Jeff...then Phil should just leave

but I just dont think hes here to fail purposely idt none of us understand what it takes to make it where they are....Phil doesnt come to work trying to mess it up...neither did Zeke and i hate him more than anyone i know in real life.

I just hope...Phil commits to the plan that he says
Don Che

Postby cragganmor » April 18, 2017, 6:49 pm

get a defensive minded roster, update our defensive schemes, bring them into camp and give them time to grow; i can live with that plan.
cragganmor

Postby maxmet » April 21, 2017, 4:25 pm

maxmet

Postby H20Knick » April 21, 2017, 4:36 pm

maxmet wrote:http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2704996-carmelo-anthony-celtics-trade-reportedly-becoming-more-likely

to the Celtics?

Good find.

Why Jae Crowder though? A pick is more important and Jaylen Brown makes more sense than Crowder
"Stay true. Orange and Blue" - Jeff Van Gundy

2015 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION

I'm down with K-PorZee
H20Knick

Postby thewatcher » April 21, 2017, 4:38 pm

I love seeing the Celtics panicking. Yeah I'd rather jalen Brown too, we won't get the NJ picks for Melo, however.
n8 the gr8 wrote:
The first rule of NYKFP is you don't talk about NYKFP.
thewatcher

Postby Koopa Troopa » April 21, 2017, 5:07 pm

maxmet wrote:http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2704996-carmelo-anthony-celtics-trade-reportedly-becoming-more-likely

to the Celtics?

This article is just pure speculation.

According to Marc Berman of the New York Post, a source indicated the Celtics' coaching staff signed off on acquiring Melo at the deadline, but general manager Danny Ainge had reservations, which may now be lessening.

The writer is telling us he knows what Danny Ainge is thinking. :arrow:

From what we know of the Celtics....Their management arent dumb as rocks. They took their time to build this franchise, there is no need for them to panic. They are still young, have a top 3 pick on the way, and cap space. Why not use the cap room to sign a star player....without giving any assets to the Knicks? Furthermore, why would they want Melo who is aging and hurt? They see Melo play regularly, they know he isnt who he used to be. Ainge wont get duped.

And again on that 'panic' stuff. Who thought the Celtics were contenders? Absolutely nobody. I dont think the Celtics thought themselves to be contenders. So they took years to build up their squad the right way through the draft....and now because they are losing to the bulls they are gonna panic and think about Carmelo during their first round playoff series? Riiiiight :drunk:
Koopa Troopa

PreviousNext

Return to New York Knicks