2017-2018 Tank

Discuss New York Knicks news, current events, players, and history.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv, cru77jones

Re: 2017-2018 Tank

Postby Don Che » February 19, 2018, 11:59 am

I like Miles I'm just not crazy about getting him after being sobad this year Lol

I also am not sure who he defends well in the NBA.... I'd like to be wrong because I like the kid.... on offense he will be fine...hit the 3 create and get to the rim...I just wonder who he defends? The 2 or 4 and can he lock up either one?
Don Che

Postby Don Che » February 19, 2018, 12:03 pm

Also.....outside of the projected top 3. Luka/Ayton/Bagley

Who do you think will be rookie of the year?
Don Che

Postby spree#8 » February 19, 2018, 3:48 pm

A thought I had lately: It'll be interesting to see what we do if Young or Sexton is the best player available at our spot.
#knickstape
spree#8

Postby Don Che » February 20, 2018, 1:47 am

I sure hope we take Young if that's the case or neither

You don't take young unless your gonna give him the keys and let him do what he wants. Similar to what his coach now has done
Don Che

Postby Don Che » February 20, 2018, 1:49 am

The more I see Mikal the more I think he has an advantage at the 2 spot....and before u guys get sensitive on positions here I just want a 6'8-6'9 SF like a Covington type guy
Don Che

Postby nazrmohamed » February 20, 2018, 7:41 am

I hate to draft for need but seeing as Mikal fits both bpa and fit it's worth talking about. The way I see it one of Frank/Mudaiy is a backup PG, Hardaway is not a SF.

And then you've just drafted Mikal. What do you do? Here's what I'd do

Pg-Frank
SG-Hardaway
SF-Bridges
Multiple position 6th man-Mudaiy

Now this isn't based on merit. I'm just gonna for the sake of this lineup assume that Frank stops acting like a deer in headlights at which point hes our truest PG. My assumption is also that Mudaiy breaks out, but more as a slasher/scorer.

So what I have is a true passing/defensive pg flanked by two potential splash brothers and a guy who can come off the bench and change the pace at any perimeter position. Lee's somewhere in the mix too but coming off the bench like Mudaiy. If Mudaiy is my combo guards, then Lee is my combo wing.
PHISHER
nazrmohamed

Postby Don Che » February 20, 2018, 8:33 am

Bridges for us is the bigger wing

Bridges for what's best for him should be the smaller wing

I know it seems like a minor change but that effects his impact as a player his first year or 2.

He has an advantage defending 6'4-6'7 guys......the good 3's today are 6'8 that either have 30 pounds on him or the same wingspan as he has aka he's an average player tools wise.

On a pinch he can defend 1-4 but I mean his bread n butter I see is a 2 defensively
Don Che

Postby Don Che » February 20, 2018, 8:41 am

And in regards to the line up that's def a safe possibility but I'm open to Mudiay and frank starting....I'm open to frank being the bench guy

Basically they all have reasons they suck....hard away hasn't proven to me he's a starter... Mudiay and frank hasn't proven anything

For the sake of frank I HOPE he takes another couple levels and I think he will but...hardaway is who he is...and that's not a starteer to me

When we take bridges I'm gonna put him where he is most successful.....we won't be good anyway so I'd make sure my future assets are in the best spots to succeed.
Don Che

Postby nazrmohamed » February 20, 2018, 10:21 am

I feel like Hardaway is the only garauntee starter on this team. He's literally the only player who fits into a position without fail. He's a SG, that's what he is. No combo anything. And I get he's had his ups and downs lately but I just can't forget that until his injury he was our most reliable scorer. Dude was puting up points, spreading the floor for us, he finished in transition, even added this floater in the paint. Offensively Tim was legit one of the better guards in the nba. The intangeables were airways an issue with Tim but he came into this year working hard.

Put it this way, for every second that you thought we should be a playoff team, and I fight with you on this so I know. For every second of that time Hardaway was legit awesome.

Then he got hurt
And then he got hurt
And then he got hur-urt

Nah but he came back and was hot trash. What's scary to me is him proving he's the guy we saw early could result in wins. So I don't really want him proving me right until the summer. But he's a starter.
PHISHER
nazrmohamed

Postby Don Che » February 20, 2018, 10:51 am

that is 100% true....when this team faked being a playoff team...he was the reason.

due to his streakiness along with other things prior to KP's injury is the reason why his spot isnt safe in my eyes.

no ones spot is safe to me.

we are so bad right now that Tim(being a veteran on this team) he should be getting his buckets while we lose. Tim should be able to get 17-23 points a game and lose and then I'll agree.

things can easily change in the second half...to me the next couple months is tryouts for Frank/Mudiay/Tim for next year because we will most likely draft a guy that plays the wing at either 2 or 3 if we are stuck at 8 or 9

the higher we go in the tank....the more chances we take a big ...but at 8 or 9....your looking at Miles/Mikal/Knox/Young ...and all those guys can replace or compliment the 3 guys above.
Don Che

Postby Don Che » February 20, 2018, 3:49 pm

you know Nazr.....u know what hit me earlier today?

that the same reasons I liked Donovan in the NBA is somewhat the same things I can argue for Miles. I felt Donovan's game suited the nba more than college and figured he'd get a good jump stat wise(not this good tho)

the nba is a open court/space league...Donovan has perfect form on his jumper and with work can be a knock down shooter and his raw athletic ability would create space for him.

Miles is in the same boat minus the defensive standpoint DM has....DM is small but he has a wide wingspan/frame. both of them are strong even in NBA standards.

I've been against Miles for us because I want someone thats gonna either match KP or surpass KP by the time he's back and I didnt see Miles in that light...but if he's droppin 17 a game in a league that isnt really feeding into his strengths ...maybe his ceiling is a bit higher than i thought...I just wonder how he'd defend the wing position where the elite players are taller/longer than he is...even tho he's stronger/more athletic than they are.

if he sharpens his handle and hits mid range going down hill....the rest of his game can fall into place.
Don Che

Postby taowave » February 20, 2018, 5:52 pm

speaking of tanks..Gotta love Cuban..Hope Perry is listening so we can stop this Winning Culture nonsence

Mark Cuban admitted to telling players on the Mavericks that losing games at this point in the season represents the best course for the franchise.

I’m probably not supposed to say this, but, like, I just had dinner with a bunch of our guys the other night and here we are, you know, we weren’t competing for the playoffs I was like, ‘Look, losing is our best option,” Cuban said on Dr. J's show. “Adam [Silver] would hate hearing that, but I at least sat down and I explained it to them. And I explained what our plans were going to be this summer, that we’re not going to tank again, this was, like, a year-and-a-half tanking and that was too brutal for me. But being transparent, I think that’s the key to being kind of a players owner and having stability."

Earlier in the season, Cuban spoke of a vastly different strategy after the Mavericks started the season 2-12.

"And until we're eliminated, we ain't tanking here, either," he said.

"I still think we can turn this around."
taowave

Postby nazrmohamed » February 20, 2018, 6:13 pm

Don Che wrote:you know Nazr.....u know what hit me earlier today?

that the same reasons I liked Donovan in the NBA is somewhat the same things I can argue for Miles. I felt Donovan's game suited the nba more than college and figured he'd get a good jump stat wise(not this good tho)

the nba is a open court/space league...Donovan has perfect form on his jumper and with work can be a knock down shooter and his raw athletic ability would create space for him.

Miles is in the same boat minus the defensive standpoint DM has....DM is small but he has a wide wingspan/frame. both of them are strong even in NBA standards.

I've been against Miles for us because I want someone thats gonna either match KP or surpass KP by the time he's back and I didnt see Miles in that light...but if he's droppin 17 a game in a league that isnt really feeding into his strengths ...maybe his ceiling is a bit higher than i thought...I just wonder how he'd defend the wing position where the elite players are taller/longer than he is...even tho he's stronger/more athletic than they are.

if he sharpens his handle and hits mid range going down hill....the rest of his game can fall into place.

Well if we stay at 9 no matter who we pick, they won't rival KP. I think selling that is a pipedream. But out of the players there Miles most resembles a solid number 2 option. Maybe next year we tank right and then we're talking about that level player but most people at pick 9 would be happy to get

- a player who on day one has the size and athleticism to make whatever impact his skillset allows.
- the best statistical producer on a top 2 team, coached by Izzo too. MSU has mixed results in generating superstars but they don't produce guys you consider nbas bums either.
-he plays hard. I can't say he's a "defender" but he puts in defensive effort, scraps for loose balls, he moves off the ball and he passes out of bad situations. He's a good teammate.

I can't say what he's gonna be but I am very confident he'll be considered a good nba talent rather early.
PHISHER
nazrmohamed

Postby big_j_NY » February 20, 2018, 6:20 pm

taowave wrote:speaking of tanks..Gotta love Cuban..Hope Perry is listening so we can stop this Winning Culture nonsence

I wonder if the NBA fines him for this.......considering Adam Silver gave the OK to put "anti-tanking" lottery rules in-place starting at the beginning of the 2019 Draft lottery.
#EmbraceTheTank2018

#InPorzingisWeTrust

Hassan Whiteside wrote:I'm just tryin...tryin 2 really get my NBA 2K rating up
big_j_NY

Postby H20Knick » February 20, 2018, 6:23 pm

they need to just make the top 14 picks an even draw of teams that didn't make the playoffs. Give everyone equal odds. Then you either make the playoffs or youre in the lottery and there's nothing in between. This whole process is so stupid. It puts teams in perpetual mediocrity. We're getting punished for never being bad enough so we're always a bridesmaid when it comes to getting superstars and never a bride. We have one playoff series win in 18 years and one franchise player drafted in 33. That's just stupid.
Fort Knox. Hard Knox. Knock Knox. It doesn't matter. Hall of Fame in 20.

2018 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION
2015 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION
H20Knick

Postby big_j_NY » February 20, 2018, 6:25 pm

H20Knick wrote:they need to just make the top 14 picks an even draw of teams that didn't make the playoffs. Give everyone equal odds. Then you either make the playoffs or youre in the lottery and there's nothing in between. This whole process is so stupid. It puts teams in perpetual mediocrity. We're getting punished for never being bad enough so we're always a bridesmaid when it comes to getting superstars and never a bride. We have one playoff series win in 18 years and one franchise player drafted in 33. That's just stupid.

Wait a minute, isn't the "anti-tanking" rules that will be implemented next year suppose to do what you're described?

Considering one of the anti-tanking rules involves decreasing the chances of the Top 3 worst NBA records getting the #1 pick AND increasing the chances of the rest of the lottery teams in comparison to previous drafts

Edit: Actually I just read on these new rules after I made the initial post, it is still shit. They barely made any changes........teams that end up as a 9th seed in either the West or East still get fucking shafted as usual.

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/913480042352693250
Last edited by big_j_NY on February 20, 2018, 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#EmbraceTheTank2018

#InPorzingisWeTrust

big_j_NY

Postby taowave » February 20, 2018, 6:30 pm

J,Im too lazy to look,but next year the tanking rules will change...

That was part of my belief,that if you were ever going to tank NOW is the time...

Somehow,we managed to screw that up,though there is hope
taowave

Postby big_j_NY » February 20, 2018, 6:31 pm

taowave wrote:J,Im too lazy to look,but next year the tanking rules will change...

That was part of my belief,that if you were ever going to tank NOW is the time...

Somehow,we managed to screw that up,though there is hope

Actually Tao, that new chart for the anti-tanking rules..................We can actually still tank.

It is that we have a better chance as one of the Top 5 worst teams to win the #1 pick INSTEAD of being the Top 3 worst team.

That's why I made that last minute edit after I replied to H20..........because it basically shitted on my response to H20's proposal of giving all 14 lottery teams "equal chances" at the #1 pick.

So in essence, both me and you (who has been anti-tank anyway) agree with H20's overall stance that the draft lottery should give equal chances to all 14 lottery teams INSTEAD of punishing teams that are stuck in "mediocrity" during their rebuild.
Last edited by big_j_NY on February 20, 2018, 6:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
#EmbraceTheTank2018

#InPorzingisWeTrust

big_j_NY

Postby H20Knick » February 20, 2018, 6:33 pm

exactly. its still a heaping pile of shit.
Fort Knox. Hard Knox. Knock Knox. It doesn't matter. Hall of Fame in 20.

2018 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION
2015 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION
H20Knick

Postby big_j_NY » February 20, 2018, 6:36 pm

H20Knick wrote:exactly. its still a heaping pile of shit.

People want to talk about how the NBA lacks parity because of how the winning teams in the league are so top-loading, but judging by the lottery chances of the worst records in the NBA..........these guys probably can continue to have the parity argument about how the NBA lacks parity in allocating draft talent as well just based on how "middle-of-the-pack" rebuild squads are punished by being NOT SHIT ENOUGH to get a top young draft prospect and NOT GOOD ENOUGH to be a playoff squad.
#EmbraceTheTank2018

#InPorzingisWeTrust

big_j_NY

PreviousNext

Return to New York Knicks