2017-2018 Tank

Discuss New York Knicks news, current events, players, and history.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv

NewlyKnicked
Likes given: 158

taowave wrote:Team Tank never said to tank on purpose.In theory,we disagree with your assertion that a top 5 pick is not the best possible scenario.

Here is the tricky part..Team Tank would like to see Jack out and Burke/Frank in...Truth be told,that could actually hurt the tank..

As for a firesale,we have nothing to offer...What are we realistically going to get for Willie?? Second rounder?? Lee,Quinn?? We can firesale all we want,we arent getting anything of value in return...

Unless you bench KP,it would be really hard to sabotage a mediocre group..
Even though there are exceptions as mentioned by spree, the best players are obviously gonna be selected at the top. You can have the best scouts in the world, if the other teams do a good job before your pick is up, then you're screwed nonetheless. You can't count on teams SamBowie-ing all the time.

Team Tank should be all about benching KP, Kanter and THJ as JJ is lately working for them and starting Frank/Burke wouldn't move the needle that much imo

For the firesale, if it's to get 25 2nd rounders, I also don't see the point. Sell a C and be done with it if there's no 1st rounder/young talents on the table.
2017 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
2020 Co-NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
2021 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
taowave
Likes given: 817

Fully agree with you

The Tank discussion is hypothetical. I'm not advocating it,but I am saying it's imperative to get a top pick,or somehow a top talent.

The assets Spree brings up have little value in my eyes..Multiple Second round picks equals 7 more Baker/Dotson's.
nazrmohamed
Likes given: 246

Well I'm advocating it and I'm not apologetic about it either. There are guys in this draft that if KP wanted to walk, not saying you'd want it to Halen but they could just pick up where he left off as face of the franchise, next year the same.

I'd love KP to be part of that and I think he will but there's good talent there. As far as second rounders you could do way better than baker/ Dotson and with time I don't think Dotson is such a bad pick either, just needs reps. But to me the strategy for the second round is

-euros that might be future first rounders but aren't ready to come over yet (draft and stash)

-high talent knuckleheads. Yep, your Lance Stephenson types.
taowave

Naz,the only way we "insure" tanking is by sitting KP.
As luck would have it, the addition of Burke along with Beasly probably puts 32 wins as our floor..

After watching us get hammered by an Irving less Celts, it's clear that our core of KP,Kanter, Hardaway is not that good.
nazrmohamed wrote:Well I'm advocating it and I'm not apologetic about it either. There are guys in this draft that if KP wanted to walk, not saying you'd want it to Halen but they could just pick up where he left off as face of the franchise, next year the same.

I'd love KP to be part of that and I think he will but there's good talent there. As far as second rounders you could do way better than baker/ Dotson and with time I don't think Dotson is such a bad pick either, just needs reps. But to me the strategy for the second round is

-euros that might be future first rounders but aren't ready to come over yet (draft and stash)

-high talent knuckleheads. Yep, your Lance Stephenson types.
Don Che
Likes given: 9

We need to draft someone better than Tim hardaway and we need Frank to elevate and be better than Tim hardaway Lol

Fact that we have Tim in the "core" situation it proves how bad we are.....Tim is good but he's a solid rotation player on a good team...ATL when they were good didn't see him as a core guy but a solid piece

We need athletes and talent in the worst way
taowave

I agree Don...

We are deluding ourselves if we think we have much more than KP and role players....

I am really hoping Frank develops,but his lack of aggressiveness bordering on timid concerns me...

Like Dennis Smith or not,the guy is fearless.Same with Donovan Mitchell....

I dont get Frank

Don Che wrote:We need to draft someone better than Tim hardaway and we need Frank to elevate and be better than Tim hardaway Lol

Fact that we have Tim in the "core" situation it proves how bad we are.....Tim is good but he's a solid rotation player on a good team...ATL when they were good didn't see him as a core guy but a solid piece

We need athletes and talent in the worst way
Don Che

Donovan Mitchell would be welcomed here but with Lee/Tim...he MIGHT be buried here

as for Frank...the flashes of good i've seen has me believing who he can be. all great teams need 2 or 3 guys who drop 20 plus on a regular...and one guy whos a triple double threat

I think Frank is our triple double threat once he matures and takes strides in his game. KP is one scorer...Tim is right outside that cusp..can go either way. We need this draft to get us either elite on defense or a potential 20+ scorer and some playmaking ability.

We need a guy that raises the question on who's the better player "this guy" or KP...thats basically what we need. To be fair that question will not happen his rookie year but i mean by year 2 or 3 the y have to project to being that guy.

Out the box only 2 guys that MIGHT be those guys from day one are Doncic and Ayton. Esp Doncic, hes a triple double guy and a possible 20 point scorer in this league if everything goes right for him.
cragganmor
Likes given: 93

Luka could be a bigger, more physical Harden. Can hurt you so many ways, insanely efficient scorer.
Don Che

ceiling is Harden/Bird/Roy floor is Evan Turner/Gallinari kind of wild to think about
big_j_NY
Likes given: 1117

Don Che wrote:ceiling is Harden/Bird/Roy floor is Evan Turner/Gallinari kind of wild to think about
Ginobili is actually Doncic's floor more than Gallinari..........which is a pretty damn good floor if you remember how Ginobili was in his prime in San Antonio.
Don Che

I was about to say that but thought....its crazy to say that someones floor is in the hall of fame...Manu was going at Kobe and Wade in his best years.

I was eh on the idea of doncic but i think it was mroe because i knew we werent bad enough to get him lol so i just dialed it down in my mind
nazrmohamed

Don Che wrote:Donovan Mitchell would be welcomed here but with Lee/Tim...he MIGHT be buried here

as for Frank...the flashes of good i've seen has me believing who he can be. all great teams need 2 or 3 guys who drop 20 plus on a regular...and one guy whos a triple double threat

I think Frank is our triple double threat once he matures and takes strides in his game. KP is one scorer...Tim is right outside that cusp..can go either way. We need this draft to get us either elite on defense or a potential 20+ scorer and some playmaking ability.

We need a guy that raises the question on who's the better player "this guy" or KP...thats basically what we need. To be fair that question will not happen his rookie year but i mean by year 2 or 3 the y have to project to being that guy.

Out the box only 2 guys that MIGHT be those guys from day one are Doncic and Ayton. Esp Doncic, hes a triple double guy and a possible 20 point scorer in this league if everything goes right for him.
Jesus Christ, you just now seeing this? Well, welcome to the party
Don Che

I pointed those guys out months ago but I personally think we can find that guy anywhere in the first round if your scouting and coaching is done right.

The exact guy that were are all clamoring for in DM was taken 12th....Greek freak was what 16th?

Earlier in the year we were closer to 16th than we were 1st so discussing the top 3 picks was irrelevant

Either way I think we can get a potential 20 point scorer/playmaker or rebounder on the wing in this draft if we organize the roster accordingly.... because DM is doing great but with all the veteran 2's we have...he wouldn't be doing those numbers here.
nazrmohamed

I hear ya. My thing is a draft can be considered good based on two things. Top heavy true stars and it's depth. I think that this is one loaded with top heavy players. A very solid 1-8 but not very deep.

That's not to say that in any year you can't find gems though. That's always the case and sometimes it's the system and A lot of things going right all at once. Also the players gotta have that good ignorance as to his abilities against competition. A good example even though he fell off hard was Landry Fields. Dude came in like he didn't know shit about the top prospects and just balled out. I loved it. First day trying to dunk on everyone.
shakespeare
Likes given: 0

Don Che wrote:So you’re saying team tank doesnt know how to tank
Don Che, you’re making too much sense.

As far as progress, I still believe New York is stuck in No Man’s Land.
#TeamTank
Don Che

I think we are one minor trade away from being in a good situation.

Willy for Rondae/Stanley/Winslow and I'm good

Let the pick fall where it falls...I've scouted enough to get a good player anywhere in the lottery
Don Che

nazrmohamed wrote:I hear ya. My thing is a draft can be considered good based on two things. Top heavy true stars and it's depth. I think that this is one loaded with top heavy players. A very solid 1-8 but not very deep.

That's not to say that in any year you can't find gems though. That's always the case and sometimes it's the system and A lot of things going right all at once. Also the players gotta have that good ignorance as to his abilities against competition. A good example even though he fell off hard was Landry Fields. Dude came in like he didn't know shit about the top prospects and just balled out. I loved it. First day trying to dunk on everyone.

Agreed... Landry was a great system player for us and in hindsight I genuinely think we would of gotten more playoff wins if we were loyal to basketball over ticket sales and brand names.

But right now we are in a spot that a good athlete and passer would look like an all star here. Hence I'd give the wing players above a chance because for what we lack and what our system needs....they'd look better than what they've shown so far in the NBA

And in the draft you just take the best player possible. The only player that starts for us that would start on most NBA teams is KP......everyone else are rotation bench guys....Enes is in the middle but even he can be upgraded
cragganmor
Likes given: 93

i think sj can be had pretty easily. svg has given up on him. the kid can defend but is an offensive liability, streaky at best and needs to break down his game, get to the fundamentals, get honest with himself.
big_j_NY
Likes given: 1117

cragganmor wrote:i think sj can be had pretty easily. svg has given up on him. the kid can defend but is an offensive liability, streaky at best and needs to break down his game, get to the fundamentals, get honest with himself.
Stanley is an athletic, something this team lacks currently outside of 2-3 players. If Detroit is really willing to give him up for cheap, you go for it and see if you can land it.
NYGM
Likes given: 470

I'm not sure about SJ being able to play SF full time..

We need a wing playmaker at that position, someone who should be able to rebound and make plays.. At least a valuable 2 way player..

Not sure we can get that right now.. Players like Kelly Oubre who just improve should be a must..

If you can't get that type of wing then go for a Julius Randle type to play KP at C more..