Hornacek - 4 Years As A Head Coach, 1 Winning Season...

Discuss New York Knicks news, current events, players, and history.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv, cru77jones

Hornacek - 4 Years As A Head Coach, 1 Winning Season...

Postby KnicksFanInSouthFL » January 16, 2017, 7:58 pm

It's lookin' like the veteran players have lost all confidence in coach Hornacek.

Courtney Lee posted 'Dumb & Dumber' pictures on Instagram after the Knicks benched him and lost

Link...

First it was Jennings who called out Hornacek for his lack of coaching. Then it was Rose. And now its Lee who's second guessing him.

Here's a gif of Melo after Hornacek set up the final play for Putback-P in the loss to the 76ers.

Are the players gripes legitimate? What are your opinions on Hornacek? Is he the right coach for us going forward?
Last edited by KnicksFanInSouthFL on March 15, 2017, 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Is Melo-God Zen-o-phobic?
KnicksFanInSouthFL

Re: Hornacek vs the Vets...

Postby JoeD » January 16, 2017, 8:06 pm

If I'm not mistaken didn't KP have an open look on that play? so it was a good play call by Hornacek. Also didn't Melo get the last second shot today vs Atlanta and did he not miss a 5 foot jumper. See this reminded me of Pippen vs the Knicks when Phil sat his ass down for pouting because he called a play for Toni Kukoc.

all he did was compound the situation and take it to the defensive side where he didn't even challenge the shot.
JoeD

Postby KnicksFanInSouthFL » January 16, 2017, 8:14 pm

^^^
I think it was a busted play but the way I remember it Rose drew at least 4 defenders to him and then kicked it back out to the open man who then passed it to a wide open Putback-P...

You're obviously #teamHornacek... 8-)
KnicksFanInSouthFL

Postby taowave » January 16, 2017, 8:47 pm

Caught an interview with Phil. Not looking good.

Reporter: What do you think is happening to the team?

Phil; The ship be sinking.

Reporter: How far can it sink?

Phil; Sky's the limit.

P. S... Who can guess which knick actually said this?
taowave

Postby big_j_NY » January 16, 2017, 9:18 pm

Reporter: What do you think is happening to the team?

Phil; The ship be sinking.

Reporter: How far can it sink?

Phil; Sky's the limit.

taowave wrote:
P. S... Who can guess which knick actually said this?

And I'll be playing NBA 2K17 tonight yet again after another disappointing (but tank worthy) L from earlier today
#EmbraceTheTank2018

#InPorzingisWeTrust

Hassan Whiteside wrote:I'm just tryin...tryin 2 really get my NBA 2K rating up
big_j_NY

Postby taowave » January 16, 2017, 9:40 pm

Big J, you are good. nothing gets past you!
taowave

Postby cragganmor » January 16, 2017, 11:59 pm

the vets need to back up their pleasant soundbites with better team play. melo, rose, jennings and lee have not impressed on d during our skid; they gotta show up and play harder.

i excluded noah since it appears that he's picked up his game and looks like he's trying on the court, actually pulled his per-rating to a respectable 15.6, moving his per 100 defense to 107, both good trends.
cragganmor

Postby taowave » January 17, 2017, 1:58 am

Melo, Rose and Jennings need to play smarter. It's painful to watch those guys. On another note, Jeff is not done toying with Phil's vets.

Don't be shocked to see a starting 5 of

Rose
baker
Kp
Melo
Kuz/holiday

It may hint, however, at a larger philosophical shift by the coach. Hornacek mused that if Porzingis were healthy, he might have started at center and Anthony at power forward. Anthony did end up playing at power forward for large swaths of the game on Monday and finished with 30 points, shooting 10 of 16.

“In the long run, we’ve got to look at, hey, when K.P. comes back, do we change everything altogether?” Hornacek asked, referring to Porzingis. “What it will do? Sometimes it’s a chance you have to take. But we need to look at where we’re at. We just need to mix it up a little bit more.”
taowave

Postby nbafreak724 » January 17, 2017, 9:49 am

I hate when players do this. Sure the coach can be partly to blame for the team's failures. But as veteran players, you also have to step up instead of putting the blame on the coach through the press, social media, etc.

I still support Coach Horny. It's just unfortunate that we don't have any damn veteran leadership on this team.
"Come at the king, you best not miss."
nbafreak724

Postby thewatcher » January 17, 2017, 10:39 am

I'm with horny! fck these guys, BJ and Rose are losing their minds as they see job offers this summer for next year shrinking away. Rose is seeing his value drop a million dollars every ten games. Horny 's job is secure, these guys are all gone, melo too if thats what he wants. When is the trading deadline, should be a fire sale!! only keepers are KP, Kuz, Holiday and Bakes.
n8 the gr8 wrote:
The first rule of NYKFP is you don't talk about NYKFP.
thewatcher

Postby taowave » January 17, 2017, 10:48 am

Before I waive the white flag I want to see KP at the 5,Melo at the 4 and either Kuz or Holiday in the lineup. Rose starts.

I would not resign Rose for more than 14 mil, and I would let Jennings walk.

thewatcher wrote:I'm with horny! fck these guys, BJ and Rose are losing their minds as they see job offers this summer for next year shrinking away. Rose is seeing his value drop a million dollars every ten games. Horny 's job is secure, these guys are all gone, melo too if thats what he wants. When is the trading deadline, should be a fire sale!! only keepers are KP, Kuz, Holiday and Bakes.
taowave

Postby thewatcher » January 17, 2017, 10:51 am

I agree Tao, we will win more games with that line-up. But Noah instead of KP works too (KP is going to be out a while I think)

I really dont want rose here next year for more than 5 million, which means he's walking. Offer Jrue Holiday the max, he's a very good defensive player and very unselfish and careful with the basketball. Not a super-star, but solid.
n8 the gr8 wrote:
thewatcher

Postby taowave » January 17, 2017, 11:04 am

I don't have a problem with Noah, but we can't seem to win with him even when playing well.

Our skid is kind of shocking.
taowave

Postby Don Che » January 17, 2017, 12:02 pm

Jeff has done a decent job even though Fisher(who u all hated) had a better record with less talent.

The issue is not the coach, its the players not having a true leader and Rose/Melo not being adaptable.

Only thing I'd get at Jeff for is Melo not playing the 4 but Kyle/Noah/KP/Willy need to get minutes...but idt Phil anticipated Kyle's progress and Willy's immediate impact.

Same way Phil didnt anticipate KP's impact last year.

I wish we were more proactive and left options open for our players to succeed and dont feel obligated to sign someone for the heck of it.

no matter what..i dont want any major FA signings this year unless its to offset what we did with Lance.

Tucker and Tony Allen are the only guys I'd look to sign.........the rest should be covered by the draft and trades.

Plus I want Jeff to have freedom with Phil to create a team they both would like.
Don Che

Postby n8 the gr8 » January 17, 2017, 12:09 pm

JoeD wrote:If I'm not mistaken didn't KP have an open look on that play? so it was a good play call by Hornacek. Also didn't Melo get the last second shot today vs Atlanta and did he not miss a 5 foot jumper. See this reminded me of Pippen vs the Knicks when Phil sat his ass down for pouting because he called a play for Toni Kukoc.

all he did was compound the situation and take it to the defensive side where he didn't even challenge the shot.

I don't think the 76ers play was drawn up for KP. And having him on the floor after sitting for so long was questionable anyway. In the Atlanta game it was a broken play and an awkward shot. Both got good looks, neither worked.
Trust Gaines
Doncic 2018
n8 the gr8

Postby KnicksFanInSouthFL » January 17, 2017, 1:17 pm

nbafreak724 wrote:I hate when players do this. Sure the coach can be partly to blame for the team's failures. But as veteran players, you also have to step up instead of putting the blame on the coach through the press, social media, etc.

I still support Coach Horny. It's just unfortunate that we don't have any damn veteran leadership on this team.

Here's a thought, what if the Vets are onto sumthin? Keep it real, Hornacek does resemble Lloyd Christmas from the movie Dumb and Dumber (hair style, chipped tooth and all)...

But what if Hornacek is actually over his head? We've all witnessed the questionable lineups and rotations. Poor substitution patterns, taking out the hot hand... And let's not ignore the fact that it took half of a season and an injury to Lance Thomas for Kooz to finally get the minutes he rightfully deserves... Point is I'm not overly confident in anything Hornacek has done thusfar and I'm just a fan. Melo, Lee, and Jennings have been coached by Jim Boeheim, Coach K, John Calipari, Doc Rivers, Stan Van Gundy, Tom Thibodeau, etc so I'm inclined to give 'em the benefit of the doubt when they voice their concerns about the guy coaching our team with 1 winning season in 4 years as a head coach.
KnicksFanInSouthFL

Postby big_j_NY » January 17, 2017, 2:02 pm

thewatcher wrote:Offer Jrue Holiday the max, he's a very good defensive player and very unselfish and careful with the basketball. Not a super-star, but solid.

Watcher, I get what you're saying AND I agree with you on your analysis on Jrue.

However this type of comment, especially after the season we're going through, that is the reason why.............we need to stop defaulting to "X free agent" will fix the problems of our team whenever we start shitting the bricks.

KP is our only home grown established talent so far that will have All-NBA potential at the moment, with Kuz, Willy, Justin Holiday, and Ronny Baker being our possible home grown established role playing guys.

When are we gonna stop ourselves and say, "You know, why we don't just try drafting someone to fix these problems INSTEAD of expecting X free agent to come in here and perform at his pre-Knicks level to fix our problems?

And watcher, that is why I made this thread viewtopic.php?f=1&t=39615

We Knicks fans seriously need to have this discussion about our constant "free agents will fix everything" mindset
#EmbraceTheTank2018

#InPorzingisWeTrust

Hassan Whiteside wrote:I'm just tryin...tryin 2 really get my NBA 2K rating up
big_j_NY

Postby thewatcher » January 17, 2017, 2:52 pm

No question we need plan a (jrue doesn't come here). I think Justin being here would help. But nothing is given.
n8 the gr8 wrote:
thewatcher

Postby StevoStarks » January 17, 2017, 3:36 pm

I'm having a hard time blaming Jeff for this as well. It feels like the inmates want to run the asylum.
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
- Dr. Seuss

"Woody was the perfect coach for these mutts."
- taowave

"Is he REALLY injured?? A part of me doesnt believe that he is and I think he's just being a bitch. Bitch-nani."
- rynyk222
StevoStarks
Writer

Postby KnicksFanInSouthFL » January 17, 2017, 5:07 pm

^^^
Interesting analogy...
KnicksFanInSouthFL

Next

Return to New York Knicks