Knicks 2017 Free Agency

Discuss New York Knicks news, current events, players, and history.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv, cru77jones

Re: Knicks 2017 Free Agency

Postby gradyandrew » April 7, 2017, 1:24 pm

Here's another fun game I've been playing, what are the absolute shittiest contracts in the league we might be able to trade Noah for?
The top candidates I have are:
1. Luol Deng (little known fact, he's a nephew of the late and great Deng Xiaoping)
2. Timofey Mosgov (little known fact, not much of a reader, he was touched by the photo of himself as a young knick in his locker when L.A. came to New York, missed all the articles about the franchises actual treatment of former players)
3. Brandon Knight (once someone decided he had more talent than all nba Isaiah Thomas and Goran Dragic)
4. Bismarck Biyombo (if you don't immediately think of this guy and the fact that he compared defending LeBron with hunting lions, you need to spend more time on the NBA).
Championship or bust.
gradyandrew

Postby gradyandrew » April 7, 2017, 1:28 pm

I feel pretty safe throwing Chandler "20 games a season" Parsons up on that list too.
Championship or bust.
gradyandrew

Postby gradyandrew » April 11, 2017, 8:31 pm

Cleveland was on the verge of being swept last season and some how won it all. If they fall short this year, will love be the most likely scapegoat and can we trade Melo for him? That trade scenario is probably the best chance the Knicks have of getting equal value back from another team. I'm assuming that Melo uses the full power of his no trade clause.
I think Cleveland is also one of the few teams that could use Noah as well. He could back up Thompsonand also put some pressure on Tristan to play hard. On offense Noah could just concentrate on getting the other guys shots.
In addition to Love, Shumpert and Frye would make that swap work. The idea being that Cleveland will resign Korver and he will take on Shumpert s minutes and Fryes shots.
So Knicks trade Melo and Noah
Cleveland trades Love, Shumpert and Frye

I don't think Shumpert will be a happy camper coming back to New York and that roster would have 5 power forwards. So as either part of that deal or as a separate one, trade Shumpert and KOQ to Chicago for Rondo. Chicago gets to rotation players, a backup if Wade leaves and someone to replace Taj Gibson. Rondo has lost a lot of his athleticism but is still a great passer. With Love, Frye, and KP on the roster, the Knicks would have a clear identity (our bigs shoot 3s).
So deal 2:
Knicks trade Shumpert and Koq
Chicago trades Rondo.

The Knicks start:
Rondo, Lee, Thomas, Love, and KP
Championship or bust.
gradyandrew

Postby nazrmohamed » April 12, 2017, 1:34 pm

^^^^at the age of 38 I might just cry in front of people if any of that happened. Id sooner just waive Melo and take the L.
PHISHER
nazrmohamed

Postby H20Knick » April 12, 2017, 5:24 pm

nazrmohamed wrote:^^^^at the age of 38 I might just cry in front of people if any of that happened. Id sooner just waive Melo and take the L.

yeahhhh i'm with you on this one
"Stay true. Orange and Blue" - Jeff Van Gundy

2015 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION

I'm down with K-PorZee
H20Knick

Postby big_j_NY » April 12, 2017, 5:29 pm

What is it with grady's obsession of trading/signing washed-up All-Stars? Has he not payed attention to the last 17+ years of Knicks failure with those kind of players?
#KnicksTape
#InPorzingisWeTrust

Hassan Whiteside wrote:I'm just tryin...tryin 2 really get my NBA 2K rating up
big_j_NY

Postby taowave » April 12, 2017, 5:41 pm

I'm down with that lineup if it gets Phil fired and the number 1 pick..

I see what you are doing

gradyandrew wrote:Cleveland was on the verge of being swept last season and some how won it all. If they fall short this year, will love be the most likely scapegoat and can we trade Melo for him? That trade scenario is probably the best chance the Knicks have of getting equal value back from another team. I'm assuming that Melo uses the full power of his no trade clause.
I think Cleveland is also one of the few teams that could use Noah as well. He could back up Thompsonand also put some pressure on Tristan to play hard. On offense Noah could just concentrate on getting the other guys shots.
In addition to Love, Shumpert and Frye would make that swap work. The idea being that Cleveland will resign Korver and he will take on Shumpert s minutes and Fryes shots.
So Knicks trade Melo and Noah
Cleveland trades Love, Shumpert and Frye

I don't think Shumpert will be a happy camper coming back to New York and that roster would have 5 power forwards. So as either part of that deal or as a separate one, trade Shumpert and KOQ to Chicago for Rondo. Chicago gets to rotation players, a backup if Wade leaves and someone to replace Taj Gibson. Rondo has lost a lot of his athleticism but is still a great passer. With Love, Frye, and KP on the roster, the Knicks would have a clear identity (our bigs shoot 3s).
So deal 2:
Knicks trade Shumpert and Koq
Chicago trades Rondo.

The Knicks start:
Rondo, Lee, Thomas, Love, and KP
taowave

Postby gradyandrew » April 12, 2017, 6:45 pm

:?
Championship or bust.
gradyandrew

Postby n8 the gr8 » April 13, 2017, 3:27 pm

I said this before but today I saw an estimate for the salary floor that's 85 million. I think offering Manu 1-year $20 million would be a good move. He doesn't play enough to fuck up the tank but he brings good habits and playmaking for the off-guard position. Who better to help KP and our lottery pick develop in another tanking season?
KnicksFanInSouthFL wrote:So stop lookin' at the guy through Rose colored glasses because this current version of Putback-P could just as well likely be his final form.
n8 the gr8

Postby shakespeare » April 13, 2017, 4:57 pm

Hm.

1) I'd throw a mini max-like contract at Otto Porter to see if Wiz match
2) I might throw a decent contract at Andre Roberson to see if OKC match
3) I might throw a halfway decent contract at the likes of Iguodala and Sefolosa
4) Then again, scratch number 3. New York might as well keep Justin Holiday
5) Free agency wishes: Sign Porter or sign Roberson and re-sign Holiday
The Porzingis blessing is real.
shakespeare
Writer

Postby lxn_ » April 13, 2017, 6:18 pm

n8 the gr8 wrote:I said this before but today I saw an estimate for the salary floor that's 85 million. I think offering Manu 1-year $20 million would be a good move. He doesn't play enough to fuck up the tank but he brings good habits and playmaking for the off-guard position. Who better to help KP and our lottery pick develop in another tanking season?

agree with the fact that we need to provide a mentor for the young guys, its vital to their success. But if phil is willing to spend that kind of money on a rental Ive mentioned this before id rather go for Tony Allen, hes like a draymond green type of guy whos vocal and even kobe said hes the toughest defender he ever faced. Would be huge if for example we draft Frank and he develops to a defensive stopper, with his physical tools it would be scary.
lxn_

Postby nazrmohamed » April 13, 2017, 7:49 pm

Isn't Tony Allen in his 30s by now? What's this obsession. Twenty Six and under. That's the rule. Camelos getting traded, I don't care if you wanna say it's KPs team or not, but I do feel this team should be made up of KPs peers. PEERS, as in guys within 3 yrs of his age with a couple 24-26 yr old for some semblance of experience.
PHISHER
nazrmohamed

Postby big_j_NY » April 13, 2017, 7:55 pm

nazrmohamed wrote:Isn't Tony Allen in his 30s by now? What's this obsession. Twenty Six and under. That's the rule. Camelos getting traded, I don't care if you wanna say it's KPs team or not, but I do feel this team should be made up of KPs peers. PEERS, as in guys within 3 yrs of his age with a couple 24-26 yr old for some semblance of experience.

TBH nazr, I can see why some of these guys want "old guys" since they figure that a young team with no veteran mentors is a bad recipe.

That being said, I don't want a large portion of the cap space being thrown to old guys.......which is where I agree with you.

"Old guys" should be getting the vet's minimum contracts at this point, we should pointing our cap space money at the "26 and under" crowd. None of this "seduce 39+ yr old Manu with $20M plus" OR "seduce broken-knees Tony Allen with $17M plus." Use that $20M or $17M on forcing a team to give up their RFA young guy, not overpaying another washed-up old person.

Enough of this shit..........if you want Tony Allen, he has to come here CHEAP.

Take it or leave it, no more big money in washed-up, old people.
#KnicksTape
#InPorzingisWeTrust

big_j_NY

Postby lxn_ » April 13, 2017, 8:07 pm

nazrmohamed wrote:Isn't Tony Allen in his 30s by now? What's this obsession. Twenty Six and under. That's the rule. Camelos getting traded, I don't care if you wanna say it's KPs team or not, but I do feel this team should be made up of KPs peers. PEERS, as in guys within 3 yrs of his age with a couple 24-26 yr old for some semblance of experience.

I dont think Twenty six and under should be the rule. You need that guy, that vet as a vocal leader or mentor to the young guys. I dont wanna have a situation close to the sixers under sam hinkie when the oldest dude on the roster was like 26-27 no vets on the team. And look at what happened, their guys got in trouble multiple times throughout the season. And when the colangelos took over the first thing they did was sign a vet. We dont need them for their current skill but for their knowledge/wisdom to help the young guys get there faster. I dont mean Tony allen necessarily, just someone whos been there and is vocal would do. The wolves signed KG even though he was washed up. The wizards also signed pierce whos like 37-38 at the tail end of his career to help their young guys in Porter,wall,beal. Look how much porters improved. And ofcourse another prime example would be Charles Barkley, who attributed most of his success to the old guys on the philly roster after Doc J and Moses retired. He basically listened to the stories of these old washed up guys.
lxn_

Postby big_j_NY » April 13, 2017, 8:15 pm

But not for 7 figure dollar per year contracts. You want vets, go get your vets.............don't pay them $10M or more though. The vets that want that big ass money, they ain't gonna "mentor" shit.........they're just gonna be the same fucking bums that you saw screw up our team for the last 17+ years.

Vet's minimum ONLY for old washed up guys...........no more. If you can't get your "desired vet" for the vet's minimum, MOVE THE FUCK ON.......there are A LOT OF 10+ year NBA vets that are willing to play for fucking cheap. No need to pay for washed-up All-Stars that want to turn the NY Knicks into a "retirement package," instead of mentoring players for real.
#KnicksTape
#InPorzingisWeTrust

big_j_NY

Postby lxn_ » April 13, 2017, 8:21 pm

^^ yeah dont overpay. Just for cheap contracts.
lxn_

Postby nazrmohamed » April 13, 2017, 8:40 pm

Yeah but we already got Noah and Lee on the team. Kuz and Oquinn are over 26 as well. That's vet leadership right there. Why then go add Tony Allen? You get rid of Melo to move on, not get guys we shouldve paired with him instead of Bargnani
PHISHER
nazrmohamed

Postby Don Che » April 13, 2017, 9:05 pm

Noah/Lee/Thomas/Sasha are solid vets

Hit a home run with the pick.

The telling part of all this is.....what do we get for Melo

The East is still easy to compete in .500 ball is the goal.

Worry about defense and be consistent with the offense should get us there

I saw Baker/Will give us better TEAM basketball than Rose/Noah this year.

Playoff series are won off coaching/best player....regular season is more team concept and hard work esp in the Eastern Conference.
Don Che

Postby lxn_ » April 13, 2017, 9:34 pm

nazrmohamed wrote:Yeah but we already got Noah and Lee on the team. Kuz and Oquinn are over 26 as well. That's vet leadership right there. Why then go add Tony Allen? You get rid of Melo to move on, not get guys we shouldve paired with him instead of Bargnani

His contract at 5m which expires aint bad in my opinion. If melo gets moved and rose is gone were gonna need to hit the league minimum salary and 2-5m per year on a vet isnt the worst. I dont think you can consider kuz and oquin vets yet, Lee on the other hand isnt a vocal type of guy. Noah's the only one who can be. There are others as well if you dont like TA, Sefolosha(32) is at 3.8M or Pj tucker(31) at 5M in todays NBA thats really cheap. Lets imagine we do get Frank, among the guys I mentioned TA is the suitable guy to teach him on perimeter defense. These are just examples, TA leaving memphis is still a longshot I just think they are in a tough spot cap wise considering they just gave gasol and conley max and paid parsons 95M and he cant even play. Ennis and Jamychal green are playing great and will demand a ton of money. They might be forced to let go of some other guys to keep them.
lxn_

Postby n8 the gr8 » April 13, 2017, 9:52 pm

I just think you're going to be sorely disappointed by who you can get that's under 26 for the money you're willing to spend nazr. Look what Chandler Parsons and Evan Fournier types were getting last year, now we've got a cap spike and a salary floor. You sign someone that's 26 that's a borderline starter and they'll be in their 30s by the time KP and the draft pick hit their prime and in the meantime you weren't grooming someone else for that position. Like what guys that fit your criteria are UFAs (targetting RFAs is always a losing proposition and it will be again this year) and how many other teams are going to be coveting the same guys? Every other team that's rebuilding.
Getting Manu or Parker here to take pressure off of the backcourt, give guys a chance to develop and maybe even groom those guys into being coaches here would be a better way to spend the money IMO, while you spend the minutes developing younger guys.
KnicksFanInSouthFL wrote:So stop lookin' at the guy through Rose colored glasses because this current version of Putback-P could just as well likely be his final form.
n8 the gr8

PreviousNext

Return to New York Knicks