Knicks 2017 Free Agency: NYK starts overpaying busters instead

Discuss New York Knicks news, current events, players, and history.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv, cru77jones

Re: Knicks 2017 Free Agency

Postby lxn_ » April 22, 2017, 7:58 pm

anyone else watching sas vs mem?? this jamychal green(FA) from memphis can ball.
lxn_

Postby taowave » April 23, 2017, 2:13 pm

Of course he can..We passed on him
taowave

Postby maxmet » April 25, 2017, 5:09 pm

how could we make a Meo deal to Boston work for cap purposes?

Horford, Bradley and Thomas wont be in the deal

How do they send enough $ back to us for any deal to work?
maxmet

Postby gradyandrew » April 27, 2017, 10:47 am

maxmet wrote:how could we make a Meo deal to Boston work for cap purposes?

Horford, Bradley and Thomas wont be in the deal

How do they send enough $ back to us for any deal to work?

I think Boston and New York will both be under the cap so pretty much anything works. We would not have to match salaries, at least at the start of free agency. A lot depends on if both teams renounce their free agents bird rights and therefore don't have big cap holds.
It’s not the frustration of the fans of us losing, they want to see the dog, they want to see that fight, they want to see that hunger inside of you. - THJ
gradyandrew

Postby gradyandrew » April 27, 2017, 10:56 am

The whole cba is designed to let teams go over the cap but then punish them for doing so and one of the biggest restrictions on over the cap teams is for trades. That's why Griffin has done a great job in Cleveland. He's been able to finagle impact trades, frye last season, Korver this one out of nothing.

Unless Dolan has a change of opinion over the next month and decides to oust phil instead of melo, I think Melo has to go, and if that's the case we should try to move lee and Noah as well. Our focus should be on amassing a bunch of draft picks over the next four years and free agents the next two summers.
It’s not the frustration of the fans of us losing, they want to see the dog, they want to see that fight, they want to see that hunger inside of you. - THJ
gradyandrew

Postby gradyandrew » April 27, 2017, 10:59 am

And Lance Thomas.
gradyandrew

Postby Don Che » April 27, 2017, 4:14 pm

You need some vets on the roster..I'm good with keeping Lance/Lee/Noah for next season. good teammates/hard work defense first guys are useful for young teams.

I still think getting a young squad with them may shock some ppl.

Noah with Lance and/or Lee off the bench is pretty solid. Those guys dont "win" you games but they "dont lose" you games and off the bench thats all you need.

If we are up 10 and bring in those 3..that lead will stand pat just off defense and effort alone.

KP/Will/ and our draft pick will have to "win" us games...the bench's job is not losing them.

Looking at the playoffs those 3 guys would get minutes on most benches in the playoffs right now..esp Noah.
Don Che

Postby gradyandrew » April 27, 2017, 8:19 pm

Don, I just want to burn this 2016-17 team down. Let's get everyone off the roster and just rebuild it with first language Spanish players (Calderon Vasquez scola splitter, maybe Manu).
gradyandrew

Postby JoeD » May 1, 2017, 1:40 pm

Free Agency has never really been good for the Knicks. I say just keep the space and add any young player not drafted. If your looking for vets then most likely the Knicks will be taking them back in Melo trade along with some picks.
JoeD

Postby cragganmor » May 1, 2017, 2:06 pm

gradyandrew wrote:Don, I just want to burn this 2016-17 team down. Let's get everyone off the roster and just rebuild it with first language Spanish players (Calderon Vasquez scola splitter, maybe Manu).

then just be patient. we own all our first round picks and phil has done a decent job on udfa's. plus, we have 3 picks this summer. phil just needs to resist temptation offering long contracts; we probably won't have enough for a max deal this year, so that's a good thing.
cragganmor

Postby Don Che » May 2, 2017, 9:27 am

outside of the melo trade

i want no major signings...at all
Don Che

Postby lxn_ » May 18, 2017, 9:13 am

http://www.netsdaily.com/2017/5/17/1565 ... j-j-redick please dont go for this guy phil....
lxn_

Postby n8 the gr8 » May 18, 2017, 12:10 pm

lxn_ wrote:http://www.netsdaily.com/2017/5/17/15654512/woj-nets-knicks-76ers-all-interested-in-j-j-redick please dont go for this guy phil....

Going after Reddick just screams indefinite mediocrity to me. Plus I like what Courtney Lee brings to the table better.
Trust Gaines
Doncic 2018
n8 the gr8

Postby Mr3037 » May 18, 2017, 6:07 pm

Don Che wrote:outside of the melo trade

i want no major signings...at all

Infinitely agree with Don.

IF we have to take a contract back in the Melo trade I'll give it a pass as long as the deal isnt too long AND we're also getting some good picks in the trade.

We seriously MUST STOP spending $ to only be MEDIOCRE!!!
NYK Fan since 92
NYKFP Fan since 04

23 years & counting...Bleeding Orange & Blue
Mr3037

Postby nazrmohamed » May 18, 2017, 6:59 pm

I don't fully agree with that, I just believe that when we choose to sign someone it should be with the mindset that that player be young. Also I got no problem spending money on a pg. There are lots of good young pgs in this league and if we are going for the youth movement a 24 yr old would be considered a veteran.
I think of how Chris Paul was a young vet while the Clippers drafted Griffen and the C whose name escapes me. Two high potential juveniles basically which fit the model of rebuilding, led by a vet pg who was truly instrumental in helping them develop into a dominant force. Or then I think of Steve Nash. He was on the older side and not really what Im looking for but still, a vet pg leading a team of high potential youngsters.

And that's really where Id turn should we choose a player like Isaac rather than a PG. Im looking at he and KP as high potential non playmakers, and I might look toward free agency or trade for a veteran pg who is experienced in getting them the ball in the right spots and being a leader, helping them develop. And again, Im not looking for the next Nash who hit his prime at 30 but maybe you pay a guy like Jeff Teague whose got a whole lotta prime still ahead of him.
PHISHER
nazrmohamed

Postby Mr3037 » May 18, 2017, 7:13 pm

Yeah I have to admit nazr IF we had the chance to sign a YOUNG up & coming / star in the making player and it costs us a bit of $ then that's fine.

I just dont wanna dump a ton of $ into a JJ Reddick that isnt gonna take us to the next level or get substantially better.

I just cant stand to see us spend heaps of cash to be mediocre.....spend the 1st half of the season hoping, spending the 3rd qtr of the season tossing up whether to tank or go for the 8th seed & then spending the 4th qtr of the season saying 'TANK!' & looking at who we might pick at #7-9
NYK Fan since 92
NYKFP Fan since 04

Mr3037

Postby nazrmohamed » May 18, 2017, 7:58 pm

I have no ducking idea why Redick is anywhere near or radar. Maybe Phil sees the next Steve Kerr but it all honesty I don't know that Phil doesnt have the beginnings of dimentia. The guy wants to rebuild the team away from the Melo era and at the end of the season tried winning games knowing we were a lottery team. I have no idea what Phil is ever thinking.
PHISHER
nazrmohamed

Postby Mr3037 » May 18, 2017, 8:23 pm

Yeh but what did Steve Kerr cost as opposed to what JJ will cost us!

I agree, I dont want no parts of Reddick or anyone else over 25-26 that we are investing TIME & MONEY in.
NYK Fan since 92
NYKFP Fan since 04

Mr3037

Postby marcuscamby23 » May 18, 2017, 8:43 pm

I would be happy if we were mediocre.
This franchise has beaten me down to the point that 42 wins would feel like a successful season.
marcuscamby23

Postby n8 the gr8 » May 18, 2017, 9:54 pm

nazrmohamed wrote:I don't fully agree with that, I just believe that when we choose to sign someone it should be with the mindset that that player be young. Also I got no problem spending money on a pg. There are lots of good young pgs in this league and if we are going for the youth movement a 24 yr old would be considered a veteran.
I think of how Chris Paul was a young vet while the Clippers drafted Griffen and the C whose name escapes me. Two high potential juveniles basically which fit the model of rebuilding, led by a vet pg who was truly instrumental in helping them develop into a dominant force. Or then I think of Steve Nash. He was on the older side and not really what Im looking for but still, a vet pg leading a team of high potential youngsters.

And that's really where Id turn should we choose a player like Isaac rather than a PG. Im looking at he and KP as high potential non playmakers, and I might look toward free agency or trade for a veteran pg who is experienced in getting them the ball in the right spots and being a leader, helping them develop. And again, Im not looking for the next Nash who hit his prime at 30 but maybe you pay a guy like Jeff Teague whose got a whole lotta prime still ahead of him.

You're like the little devil on the shoulder of all of the fans that want to have a proper rebuild. Kind of like H20 pointing out how trading for Dwight Howard makes so much sense if things fall into place right.

JRue does make more sense if Isaac falls I can't lie. I still doubt we'll have a chance at signing JRue. And if we do, do we really want to try rebuilding like that? Noah, Lee, Thomas, Jrue and Melo doesn't really look like a rebuilding team. If we put off a blowup then miss the playoffs with that team then things start to fall apart then we'll be terrible at the end of KP's contract extension. To me the clock is ticking to have a team built the right way, if KP signs a 3 year extension then we have 5 more years to have a team that looks like it's going places. We have time to do it right, but doing it right to me means having a high lottery pick next year. I don't know if Jrue is worth the difference in pingpong balls and pick positions we'll have the next few years. If you're looking at 5 years from now at best it's a wash.
Trust Gaines
Doncic 2018
n8 the gr8

PreviousNext

Return to New York Knicks