Knicks 2017 Free Agency: NYK starts overpaying busters instead

Discuss New York Knicks news, current events, players, and history.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv

H20Knick
Likes given: 3

11:30 AM - 28 Jun 2017
With Phil Jackson out and the triangle de-emphasized, the Knicks, under general manager Steve Mills, have interest in free agent point guard Jeff Teague, league sources told ESPN. League sources say the interest in Teague is mutual. The Knicks, under Mills, had talked to the Hawks about trading for Teague two years ago.

Ian Begley, ESPN Staff Writer

OP:
Cap projecting to be 102 million. http://www.sbnation.com/2016/7/7/121185 ... on-lockout

Knicks projecting to come in at 76 million with Rose, Jennings, Vujacic, Holiday, Amundson, Baker, Randle, Tokoto coming off the books.

Good news is Oak, Kuz, and Willy are all locked under contract. Bad news is that jennings, holiday, and rose could be gone. I imagine Jennings will show loyalty and give us a discount. Rose? Probably not. Holiday can and should chase the biggest payday he could find.

So what's the priority? Bringing our guys back or chasing free agents? Don't start with the Durant/Curry/insert superstar here. I do think there's a small chance we finally get CP3 here, but his age isn't ideal.

Not sure who I want to chase: Kyle Lowry is too old for us to give a big deal too. Ibaka may be a nice fit next to KP. Jeff Teague?
Last edited by H20Knick on July 7th, 2017, 9:33 am, edited 6 times in total.
In Thibs we trust.

2018 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION
2015 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION
Minkaveli
Likes given: 172

Call CP3 first. See what he wants. If he says no then you go back to Rose on a 3 year deal.
Jennings a 3 year deal too.
Holiday is worth an offer.
Sasha for another year on the vet min.
We have our first round pick so hopefully draft a stud guard or SG.
Let the rest of the season play out in terms of other guys available.
No longer sick and tired that Kurt wasn't hired.
n8 the gr8
Likes given: 159

Fortunately the draft comes before FA. I'd be interested in seeing if the Knicks can package some combination of Lee/O'Quinn/Kuz/Willy and the pick to move up in the draft to get a PG with a higher ceiling and maybe a project swing. Then maybe resign Holiday and Jennings and see what serviceable player will be around with the cap-space left over. If Noah can get amnestied then even better.

Unless a clear decision is made about blowing it up vs continuing to reload then the best of both worlds would be to get a young PG with a high ceiling to groom alongside KP (getting minutes behind Jennings) while still retaining a lot of win-now talent. Rose still has time to convince me but at this point I'm not convinced he's a good fit with Melo and KP.
"dam,we got a crier"
~tao

"Throw Payton out and get it over with. I'm getting hungry."
~Clyde
thewatcher
Likes given: 2626

Game theory would argue correctly that we should offer Rose a reasonable but low-ball extension. We get him at a big discount, and he gets security for life, and doesn't have to worry about an injury this year. he stays with a team that he apparently loves in a city he's embracing and we get him at a big discount, but with the risk of a career ending injury in a multi-year deal...the same theory goes for all the free-agents we want to keep (jennings and Holiday). .
n8 the gr8 wrote:
The first rule of NYKFP is you don't talk about NYKFP.
lxn_
Likes given: 0

n8 the gr8 wrote:Fortunately the draft comes before FA. I'd be interested in seeing if the Knicks can package some combination of Lee/O'Quinn/Kuz/Willy and the pick to move up in the draft to get a PG with a higher ceiling and maybe a project swing. Then maybe resign Holiday and Jennings and see what serviceable player will be around with the cap-space left over. If Noah can get amnestied then even better.

Unless a clear decision is made about blowing it up vs continuing to reload then the best of both worlds would be to get a young PG with a high ceiling to groom alongside KP (getting minutes behind Jennings) while still retaining a lot of win-now talent. Rose still has time to convince me but at this point I'm not convinced he's a good fit with Melo and KP.
This.. since this upcoming draft is loaded with a lot of talent, I hope we can move up in the draft. I wont want them to move Kuz or Willy though since both are still pretty young and close to KP age wise.
shakespeare

H20Knick wrote:
Not sure who I want to chase
Same here.

I don't see how Clippers can sign both Paul and Blake Griffin w/o each player taking a slight paycut. Then again, I also can't see why either player would leave the other nor greener pasture in LA.

That said, the '17 free agent class is hella unimpressive, although I'd love to see Celtics' Kelly Olynyk in a Knicks uniform, but he's RFA.
#TeamTank
shakespeare

I read somewhere that Porzingis and Hernangomez were like brothers.

Can't trade Hernangomez.
#TeamTank
Ingus

Packaging Willy for a draft pick? He is cheaper than Amundson, 11 years younger, and... better. I think his contract is one of our best when it comes to risk/cost/potential. He IS a young player, can play 4 and 5, and has some potential.
Willy's salary by season.
16/17 $1,375,000
17/18 $1,435,750
18/19 $1,496,500
19/20 $1,557,250

To me, Willy is not for trade. Lee? Fine. Quinn? I think him being from NY will allow us to resign him on a good deal, if he keeps being primal on the field, why not? Kuz? I could part with him. Thomas? Sure
nazrmohamed
Likes given: 246

Id rather just resign everyone and have continuity for once in our existence. Id even resign Rose of the money is right. If we could resign everyone and then basically just add a draft pick and midlevel player Id be happy
Ingus

nazrmohamed wrote:Id rather just resign everyone and have continuity for once in our existence. Id even resign Rose of the money is right. If we could resign everyone and then basically just add a draft pick and midlevel player Id be happy
This.
Keeping (mostly) the same players will show benefits over time. Continuity is one thing this team has lacked for a long time.
Mr. Glass
Likes given: 62

nazrmohamed wrote:Id rather just resign everyone and have continuity for once in our existence. Id even resign Rose of the money is right. If we could resign everyone and then basically just add a draft pick and midlevel player Id be happy
Yup.
"I used to think drinking was bad for me, so I stopped thinking."

- Unknown
rebound
Likes given: 1104

phil has crippled the knicks cap space with lance and noah.
barring injury rose will demand a near max contract.

sadly this might be the knicks best chance at a title this year.
it's downhill for melo(and noah) after this year. while pretty much every rotation player outside of kp is in their prime.
an early pick in the 20s wont be enough to improve this team any next season.
TOM THIBODEAU'S NEW YORK KNICKS PRESENT:
HEROBALL. A STORY OF THE MID RANGE FADEAWAY JUMPER.
STARRING JALEN BUMSON AND DUBIOUS HANDLES.
H20Knick
Likes given: 3

I'm not against it. It'd be nice to go into FA and not look thirsty for once, but I do think we need to do smart moves that help us stay young. 3 of our 5 starters are in their 30s. Noah is past his prime and has a lot of years left on his deal. Melo is going to be really tough to replace and we don't know how he's going to act as he gets old. I don't know how good of a defender Lee will be as he gets older, so we need to keep that in mind as well. Outside of KP, I don't think there's a single Knick on the roster that will be starter worthy on a contender 4 years from now. Maybe Melo if he adapts his game to a complimentary role and Porzingis builds himself into playing the center position. We will have a ton of depth and lots of guys who can play, but we need to keep working on building that young nucleus....
In Thibs we trust.

2018 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION
2015 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION
taowave
Likes given: 817

I'm with you..

I'm not sure how bright our future is.Melos not getting younger, Noah is massively overpaid and Rose is a slippery slope.

Willy is an interesting player,and I do like Holiday,perhaps a bit better than Lee.

25 mil between Thomas and Noah is going to hurt.

rebound wrote:phil has crippled the knicks cap space with lance and noah.
barring injury rose will demand a near max contract.

sadly this might be the knicks best chance at a title this year.
it's downhill for melo(and noah) after this year. while pretty much every rotation player outside of kp is in their prime.
an early pick in the 20s wont be enough to improve this team any next season.
Mr. Glass

Bring in Nerlens Noels and book flights for the ECF!

- Unknown
Mr. Glass

Would anyone do this S&T:

Noel for Jennings straight up?

We could dangle our pick or draft Jennings' replacement.
Last edited by Mr. Glass on December 5th, 2016, 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

- Unknown
lxn_

would really love to see Noel next to KP.. But a lot of other teams are going for him too.
Mr. Glass

lxn_ wrote:would really love to see Noel next to KP.. But a lot of other teams are going for him too.
True. I doubt if he goes to another team that sucks though. Would be nice.

- Unknown
lxn_

hope this happens.. noah to wolves, rubio to philly, noel to ny looolll
Don Che
Likes given: 9

in theory noel and kp work but in the playoffs you need a 250+ athlete out there.

Noel would struggle in those gruesome 7 game battles