Knicks 2017 Free Agency: NYK starts overpaying busters instead

Discuss New York Knicks news, current events, players, and history.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv

cragganmor
Likes given: 93

i like the value fa market more than the star players. we're not there yet, but we do have needs. a backup pf that can defend and grab defensive rebounds is a need; would be excellent if ndour adds strength this summer, polishes his perimeter shot. aside from that, the only really specific player that i'd be interested in is jrue. he's a legit 2-way player and can play both guard spots. he does however, come with health risks, has been dogged by the injury bug most of his career but healthy this season. but overall, i'd be happy to keep the core of the team together, just add a couple of new rookies, let them grow together. phil has been far more successful in the draft than trades and free agency.
H20Knick
Likes given: 3

Wouldn't be a bad idea to be risky and throw a max deal at a young guy who will assuredly contribute. Max deals for guys with 4 years experience aren't really that much money. Kentavious Caldwell-Pope and Otto Porter would be surefire starters 3 years from now and entering their primes. I'd even give a big contract to Nerlens Noel. Maybe offer a small deal to Shabazz Muhammad?
In Thibs we trust.

2018 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION
2015 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION
big_j_NY
Likes given: 1127

H20Knick wrote:Wouldn't be a bad idea to be risky and throw a max deal at a young guy who will assuredly contribute. Max deals for guys with 4 years experience aren't really that much money. Kentavious Caldwell-Pope and Otto Porter would be surefire starters 3 years from now and entering their primes. I'd even give a big contract to Nerlens Noel. Maybe offer a small deal to Shabazz Muhammad?
This...........this is a far better investment than throwing 4-years and $25M/per at some 28-yr old former All-Star that basically screwed up on their previous team. With Carmelo considering his departure, these are the deals we should attempt WHILE maintaining our commitment to drafting our core players.

At the very least if these younger players FAIL half-way into their 3-4 yr contract, they will still have some trade value based on their youth alone.
NYGM
Likes given: 490

H20Knick wrote:Wouldn't be a bad idea to be risky and throw a max deal at a young guy who will assuredly contribute. Max deals for guys with 4 years experience aren't really that much money. Kentavious Caldwell-Pope and Otto Porter would be surefire starters 3 years from now and entering their primes. I'd even give a big contract to Nerlens Noel. Maybe offer a small deal to Shabazz Muhammad?
Depends on who we draft..

Noel seems intersting, but you got to trade KOQ at least..

I'm not sure about KCP or Otto Porter.. I'm sure we need some playmaking and passing ability to round the team..

Considering KP and WHG as our frontcourt i guess a good WING must be a priority.
taowave
Likes given: 844

We need some D and some athleticism.
Willy and KP are a giant question mark.
cragganmor

first off, we need to retain ron and justin. they are good, solid rotation players. beyond that, i think a wing with athleticism, toughness and slash are a real need. if phil can find a reserve pf that can bring some toughness and defensive rebounding, that would help a lot, too; we defended efficiently but gave up too many 2nd chances.

if you have perimeter defenders that can stay organized, whg and kp are not bad defenders. trying to have them erase so many perimeter mistakes is asking too much of young players, gotta help them out.

just by having 5 guys that play with effort and fight over screens from the beginning of camp, i think our defense will go from bottom of the league to around the middle. but to become a strong defensive squad, we need better defensive schemes (esp. covering p&r), a legit defensive coordinator.
NYGM
Likes given: 490

taowave wrote:We need some D and some athleticism.
Willy and KP are a giant question mark.
Why?

Both are further in their development.. I think both have great work ethic and love for the game..

There is a lot of improvement to be made for sure, but those guys actually like each other and want to get better..
shakespeare
Likes given: 0

According to this NBA Free Agency article, Jrue Holiday will be the most sought after target of multiple teams, including New York:

1. Jrue Holiday

2. Joe Ingles (restricted)

3. George Hill

Would the Holiday brothers consider holding their family get-together in New York? Who knows, but the odds of a Big Apple bro-out exponentially increase if Jrue turned a blind eye to the James Dolan-Charles Oakley and Carmelo Anthony-Phil Jackson soap operas.

League sources told ESPN.com's Ian Begley that "some in the Knicks organization view Holiday as a target in free agency this summer." This is an encouraging sign, if only because it suggests team president Phil Jackson won't blow the team's $20 million-plus in cap space on Derrick Rose.

Holiday is a borderline All-Star when healthy. He's best when given the freedom to drive, but he fits the triangle offense insofar as he can play off the ball.

Joe Ingles is a great Plan B with the potential to segue into Plan A. Not one of the Knicks' wings is a plus-contributor on defense, and he leads all of the Jazz's perimeter pests in points saved, according to NBA Math.

George Hill will command close to max money and, at 31, could be fool's gold by the end of his next deal. But the Knicks need a keen passer with three-point range and a defensive conscience. Hill is all those things—so, everything Rose is not.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2696 ... al-targets

1) Holiday, no. Too injury-prone for a max contract player
2) Word? Ingles is a gunner and a defensive player?
3) Hill, no. But signing him would be better than resigning Derrick Rose. Hill should only be signed if everyone else is gone

Note: The article also stated that Justin Holiday is a target of the Pelicans, so if New Orleans resigns Jrue there's a good chance they'll sign his brother as well.
#TeamTank
Mr3037

All I want is for us to spend $ on YOUNG players with no major injuries in their past.....

That is all
NYK Fan since 92
NYKFP Fan since 04

28 years & counting...Bleeding Orange & Blue
gradyandrew

Best thing to do is draft a PG, let Rose walk and wait. I don't think the Knicks will even be playing for the playoffs next year so no reason to sign any marquee free agents before we change the culture here. ThekKnicks have more options under the cap in terms of trades. I guess that the writing is on the wall and Melo will be traded. He has a huge amount of leverage at least until next seasons trade deadline and the Knicks have to at least be marginally prepared to hold him out for part of next season. Nothing would make this sad sack franchise more deplorable than having to hold Melo out of training camp for "conduct detrimental to the team" but the Knicks need to be prepared to accept that if they don't want to accept other people's dirty laundry.
The second thing that the Knicks need to do is clear out Lee, Thomas and Noahs salaries. If we're rebuilding around willy and K P then everyone else should be available to clear up our cap.
Randle in the Rafters
cragganmor

no problem with drafting aaron holiday using the #58 pick we have. we need youth, the ability to play with a high motor, a defensive mindset, excellent rebounder and passer, high efficiency shooter; aaron fits the bill. while his height is subpar, only 6', his 6'6" wingspan more than compensates. just make sure to give him time to develop, both his bros needed time to adjust, so will he. but will that be enough to lure justin to re-sign and ultimately land jrue? i can only hope that we put aaron, jrue and justin at the 1 - 3, would be incredible to have team holiday in the knick blue and orange.
gradyandrew

Yeah, I've given up on trying to predict the knicks draft picks. For all the shitty moves the front office makes, they usually seem to nail the draft (post Mike sweetney at least).

Last time the knicks signed a brother it was Chris Smith. I still think that the front office decision to sign him rather than a hungry ike diogu was the biggest reason for our decline. seriously, how can you give a fuck after that?
Randle in the Rafters
Mr3037

gradyandrew wrote:Best thing to do is draft a PG, let Rose walk and wait. I don't think the Knicks will even be playing for the playoffs next year so no reason to sign any marquee free agents before we change the culture here. ThekKnicks have more options under the cap in terms of trades. I guess that the writing is on the wall and Melo will be traded. He has a huge amount of leverage at least until next seasons trade deadline and the Knicks have to at least be marginally prepared to hold him out for part of next season. Nothing would make this sad sack franchise more deplorable than having to hold Melo out of training camp for "conduct detrimental to the team" but the Knicks need to be prepared to accept that if they don't want to accept other people's dirty laundry.
The second thing that the Knicks need to do is clear out Lee, Thomas and Noahs salaries. If we're rebuilding around willy and K P then everyone else should be available to clear up our cap.
Agree with this 100000000000000000000000%

No point spending $ on mediocre FA's that are going to help us fight for another draft pick next season.
IF a young player with an upside is available then spend the $ but the focus must be solely on building a YOUNG, hungry team around KP & Willy.

Draft a PG with our 1st pick and trade KOQ for 2 more 2nd rounders, even if 1 is from next years draft.

I would much rather watch us lose playing a bunch of kids than us lose while pretending to be a playoff team clinging to miracles just to make the 8th seed, only to get knocked out in Round 1 and have a shitty pick the following year.
NYK Fan since 92
NYKFP Fan since 04

28 years & counting...Bleeding Orange & Blue
Rusty La Rue
Likes given: 814

We should keep O'Quinn as he is on a very reasonable contract... and like I wrote in another tread we should try to sign Otto Porter. He is young and exactly what we need to make this team better for the future...
2023 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
2020 Co-NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
"Everybody gets excited about youth except the coach, because he knows youth means mistakes, mistakes mean losses, losses means you're fired."
gradyandrew

Was that you who said we should offer porter a max contract? cuz that is some crazy talk.
Randle in the Rafters
Rusty La Rue

Yeah I am willing to go max for Porter (of course to do that we probably need to get rid of Melo which is the only way forward anyways). What is not to like about Porter? He is young, plays D, can hit the 3... He has improved each year and can still get better. It might be a gamble but I would rather gamble on a young player with upside than a old injured former star as we usually do... And of course if we can get him for less than his max then by all means do that (that is up to Mills and Jackson to sort that out) but if that seems to be the only way to get him away from Washington I am willing to gamble a max on Porter...
"Everybody gets excited about youth except the coach, because he knows youth means mistakes, mistakes mean losses, losses means you're fired."
Rusty La Rue

You need to look at what players like Harrison Barnes, Chandler Parsons, Batum, Ryan Anderson, Allan Crabbe, Luol Deng, Biyombo and Evan Turner are earning. I would want Porter over all those players.

Deng's contract almost makes Noah's contract look reasonable... My god Lakers signed some crappy playes to big money... Maybe we can do a Noah for Mozgov trade... at least Mozgov isn't injured;-)
Don Che
Likes given: 9

I dont want any major Free Agent this year

Otto id consider..the rest like Jrue/Hill....id rather draft that spot with this draft or stay pat its just a waste
gradyandrew

Won't guys like kuz and holiday provide 80% of porters production at 20% of the price?
Randle in the Rafters
Rusty La Rue

I want Porter to replace Melo in the starting 5 I do not think either Kuz or Holiday are ready for that... I like Holiday of the bench so I am all in on keeping him...