Guys who you'd like to be the D coordinator

Discuss New York Knicks news, current events, players, and history.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv, cru77jones

Guys who you'd like to be the D coordinator

Postby lxn_ » November 13, 2016, 10:23 pm

In this thread id like to share a few names who I think would make a great defensive coordinator for this team. I know rambis has been assigned but damn it I think he cant cut it.
My top candidates.
1. Tony Bennett- Hes been regarded as one of the best defensive coaches in cbb for a while now. Has great defensive schemes and can develop players.
2. Mario Elie- NY native Mario Elie is a 3time champ as a player and played for a few of the greatest coaches ever. Hes been an assistant for pop. He played on a tough era and can actually demand the players respect.
3. Elston Turner- Turner has been an assistant coach for a while now, also regarded as a great defensive mind. Defense and player development seems to be his forte.
The long shots.
1. Ed Pinckney- Another NY native former player whos been an assistant to Thibs for a while now.
2. Ime Udoka- an assisnant to pop but still relatively young. Pop has high praises for this guy.
3. Chauncey Billups- Billups said on an interview that he is open to a career in coaching and I think he'd be a great one. It would be wise for him to start as an assistant. Also he strikes me as a guy who would love to take on a challenge thats why I assume hed be up for the task.

Share some guys who you think would be a great fit for the squad.
lxn_

Re: Guys who you'd like to be the D coordinator

Postby lxn_ » January 10, 2017, 9:33 am

Id like them to get a real defensive coordinator before blowing it up. Theres a lot of good candidates out there please get rid of rambis...
lxn_

Postby n8 the gr8 » January 10, 2017, 1:14 pm

I'd love to just give Patrick the head-coaching spot and get anyone off of Pop's tree to be the lead assistant. The more I see it not work that great the more I think "defensive coordinators" is lip service in the nba. It's not football where you have entire different units. There's a finite amount of time that coaches have to spend on with players, especially in training camp and preseason, to do whatever it is they emphasize. It's a zero-sum game, time spent working on offense is time not spent on defense, having one person to teach defense doesn't accomplish much other than give the head coach time to go drink lemonade while the defensive guy gets his afterthought time allotted.

The good defensive teams seem to have coaches that are capable of emphasizing and teaching defense (as well as players that buy in). You just don't make progress by adding another position, it's an oversimplification.
Trust Gaines
Doncic 2018
n8 the gr8

Postby Don Che » January 10, 2017, 1:41 pm

I think we've seen good defensive coaches not have good defensive teams but its rare you see a bunch of good defensive players with an offensive coach fail on defense.

As systematic it is, I still think its a lot on your leaders and who you depend to play big minutes along with how the coach holds them accountable.

Rambis was also the defensive coach for those laker teams who defended well...the common theme tho..is having able/willing/dedicated defenders and having your best player allowing himself to be coached and held accountable.

Moment Melo gets yanked out of a game for missing assignments and slow rotating the sooner we either 1. fix the problem with him 2. he leaves and KP allows himself to be coached and have him lead. either way it has to happen.
Don Che

Postby shakespeare » April 27, 2017, 8:25 am

I hadn't heard anything regarding Phil Jackson looking to hire a defensive coach, so that means Rambis will once again coach the Knicks' defense in 2018.

Hm.

LOTTERY.
The Porzingis blessing is real.
shakespeare
Writer

Postby taowave » April 27, 2017, 9:10 am

Phil will be Phil,and he's not changing.Rambis is his snake in the grass. Remember,Phil is the same guy who bounced Jerry West out of the locker room.

The Lakers were really struggling, not enjoying playing together," said Jackson. "The last five minutes of the game were arduous and painful — so I kicked everybody out of the locker room.

"Jerry and [then-assistant general manager] Mitch Kupchak would come into the locker room afterward ... but I wanted it to be just us," continued Jackson. "So I asked everybody to leave and then I addressed the team and asked them what happened out there on the floor."

The Lakers ultimately won the series in a memorable Game 7 comeback, leading to their first of three-straight titles.

"In the process, I know Jerry was hurt by me asking him to leave the room," Jackson said. "It has always been what I've done any time it got intimate or personal, to ask people that were outside, trainers and ball boys in particular."

West was no ball boy and certainly didn't view himself as an outsider. After leading the Lakers to the 1971-72 title as a player and guiding the franchise through the "Showtime" era, West brought both Shaquille O'Neal and Kobe Bryant to the Lakers.

West moved on after the team's title in 2000, eventually landing with the Memphis Grizzlies. He's currently an executive with the Golden State Warriors.

"It didn't feel very good when someone would walk right by me and not even acknowledge you're there. But that's Phil," wrote West in his autobiography, "West by West: My Charmed, Tormented Life. "Frankly you start to feel under-appreciated and undervalued. It was time for me to go, but it was best for the Lakers and best for me."
taowave

Postby gradyandrew » April 27, 2017, 8:24 pm

Yeah, I'm with n8. I think the defensive coordinator is more of a coach in waiting position, like when Woodson stepped in for dantonti.
It’s not the frustration of the fans of us losing, they want to see the dog, they want to see that fight, they want to see that hunger inside of you. - THJ
gradyandrew

Postby big_j_NY » April 27, 2017, 9:31 pm

gradyandrew wrote:Yeah, I'm with n8. I think the defensive coordinator is more of a coach in waiting position, like when Woodson stepped in for dantonti.

Technically that is how Phil became the head coach of the Chicago Bulls back in the late 80s, he started off as Doug Collins's assistant coach
#EmbraceTheTank2018

#InPorzingisWeTrust

Hassan Whiteside wrote:I'm just tryin...tryin 2 really get my NBA 2K rating up
big_j_NY

Postby lxn_ » April 28, 2017, 12:13 pm

gradyandrew wrote:Yeah, I'm with n8. I think the defensive coordinator is more of a coach in waiting position, like when Woodson stepped in for dantonti.

agree with this also.. among the guys I listed at the start of the season I still think Elie is the best guy to hire.
lxn_

Postby JoeD » May 1, 2017, 2:47 pm

The matter isn't getting a defensive coordinator. its a matter of players buying in, defense has always been about team. If your top players don't give the effort on defense then there will be a trickle down effect. This year Rose and Melo were awful defensively.
JoeD

Postby StevoStarks » May 2, 2017, 12:13 pm

JoeD wrote:The matter isn't getting a defensive coordinator. its a matter of players buying in, defense has always been about team. If your top players don't give the effort on defense then there will be a trickle down effect. This year Rose and Melo were awful defensively.

True, but, the players are never going to buy in to whatever Rambis is selling so it's a lose lose. We need to start with a coach that the players actually respect and start from there.
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
- Dr. Seuss

"Woody was the perfect coach for these mutts."
- taowave

"Is he REALLY injured?? A part of me doesnt believe that he is and I think he's just being a bitch. Bitch-nani."
- rynyk222
StevoStarks
Writer

Postby lxn_ » May 2, 2017, 12:47 pm

^^ yea.. and the nba is a players league. I dont believe for a sec that Rambis doesnt know basketball. Its quite the opposite in fact, I think he is very knowledgeable of the game but like what most people say, he cant demand the level of respect needed to succeed. We have 2 choices regarding this, either get rid of rambis and hire someone who the players respect or retain rambis and get a whole lot of guys who'll listen to him( which is way harder in my opinion which is why I brought this up at the start of the season).
lxn_

Return to New York Knicks