KP says he's 238 (lbs) (September 2016)

Discuss New York Knicks news, current events, players, and history.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv, cru77jones

Re: KP says he's 238 (lbs) (September 2016)

Postby taowave » April 27, 2017, 1:42 pm

Its a start :happy:

H20Knick wrote:
Not sure how much skipping a meeting with a 71 year old translates to play 35 minutes bodying up the current crop of NBA bigs :LOL:
taowave

Postby Don Che » April 27, 2017, 1:45 pm

KP has heart...Will can be a player when he trains better.

Not sure wtf some of you guys are talkin about.
Don Che

Postby H20Knick » April 27, 2017, 2:00 pm

Don Che wrote:Not sure wtf some of you guys are talkin about.

yeah, dont worry don. Some of us feel the same way about your resounding optimism!
"Stay true. Orange and Blue" - Jeff Van Gundy

2015 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION

I'm down with K-PorZee
H20Knick

Postby Don Che » April 27, 2017, 4:16 pm

KP gets bodied but he tries..he goes to war out there...same with Will.

I have never..i repeat NEVER saw Tim Thomas or Eddy Curry play with that fight. If they did we would of been a playoff team those years.

Will was throwing bows...going at Dwight...he out played Hassan..went at Marc. I think you guys are jaded by all the bad that now EVERYTHING is bad. When thats just not the case.

Will is a good player and so is KP...on rookie deals. Its a f*kin positive thing! lol why take the 1 thing we done right away from us?

Ppl get at my optimism which...i dont even see as optimistic...We had years we had 23 wins and didnt have a pick..didnt have a player under 25 to build with and had long contracts with no cap flexibility. We saw that sh*t for years.....YEARS.

so now...we have our pick, have one of the more unique talents I have ever seen on my team, have 1 bad contract for 3 years...the rest is cap space. And you guys want me to be depressed?

Draft a stud on the perimeter, melo play the 4 or get value for him, have our young guys get better and we are set!! We have had much uglier situations than this fellas
Last edited by Don Che on April 27, 2017, 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don Che

Postby shakespeare » April 27, 2017, 4:16 pm

H20Knick wrote:
Not sure how much skipping a meeting with a 71 year old translates to play 35 minutes bodying up the current crop of NBA bigs

AGREED.

KP shies away from the physical contact. In that regard, I don't think a few added pounds and/or muscle will make a difference.
The Porzingis blessing is real.
shakespeare
Writer

Postby shakespeare » April 27, 2017, 4:34 pm

Don Che wrote: I think you guys are jaded by all the bad that now EVERYTHING is bad.

No, I've gone to war for KP on this forum every since he made me a believer after draft night. And I'll continue to go to war for him. That said, I'll be the first to admit that the only true weakness in Porzingis' game is he's still somewhat soft.

Like, he has to "want" it. Be willing to die for it.

Kristaps Porzingis is already showing he’s mentally soft for New York

When news broke that Kristaps Porzingis skipped his exit meeting with the New York Knicks‘ brass after the season ended, some were applauding the seven-footer for taking a stand against the lowly Knicks.

That line of thought makes absolutely no sense.

ESPN reported that Porzingis skipped the exit meeting with Knicks president Phil Jackson and general manager Steve Mills because he is unhappy with New York’s lack of direction and the constant dysfunction and drama surrounding the team.

The Carmelo Anthony trade rumors throughout the year obviously took a toll on Porzingis and the entire Knicks team. Porzingis wants no part of the Knicks this summer, so much so that he ran away to his home country of Latvia to decompress and enjoy the offseason.

Porzingis has yet to comment on why he skipped his exit meeting in the first place, taking no accountability for his actions. It’s fair to say that Porzingis is already becoming a diva in his own right, which is not surprising considering he’s learning from the best diva there is – Carmelo Anthony.

Porzingis appeared at a news conference in Latvia this past Monday and still declined to comment on why he skipped the meeting, asking his brother – who is also his agent – to answer instead.

“To be honest, I don’t want to comment on anything that happened at the season’s end,” Porzingis said. “Personally, I did not have any contact with anybody from the club since the season ended, so it’s better that Janis [brother, agent] comment on this.”

So the future star of the Knicks can’t talk for himself and explain why he skipped a meeting with his bosses? Just imagine if Anthony or Derrick Rose did something like this – skipping a meeting and then not addressing it. Sometimes the double standards with players is just ridiculous. How we can protect some guys in the league but bash others consistently will never make sense.

Kristaps Porzingis has shown plenty of flashes of being a star in the NBA. He finished the season averaging 18.1 points, 7.2 rebounds and 2.0 blocks per game on 45 percent shooting from the field, 35.7 percent beyond the arc.

But Porzingis’ putrid post game is why he has to be considered a project still. There were too many times this season where Porzingis would get pushed around in the paint by smaller players and not be able to score when he had a clear mismatch.

Porzingis finished the season shooting 33.5 percent on shots between three and nine feet of the basket. For someone who is 7-foot-3, that is a terrible percentage.

At his end of the year press conference, Phil Jackson said Porzingis was cheating the game by venturing out to the three-point line instead of playing in the post more. Jackson is 100 percent correct in his assessment.

It’s clear that Porzingis stayed away from the post because he’s not strong or good enough yet. That doesn’t mean he can’t become a force down there, but he has a long way to go. People label Porzingis as a star already because they got too giddy over a few crossovers and putback dunks. He’s got the potential. Now we need to see the results.

While in Latvia, Kristaps Porzingis better be in the gym building up his frame, as well as doing shooting and defensive drills multiple times a day over the summer.

http://www.thesportsblaze.com/kristaps- ... cies/23096

Some say he's currently not strong enough for the paint, but I believe he's gotta go harder.

Even at a beanpole stature, KG had heart...

And it was the heart that developed him. He wanted it.

(BTW, the muscles don't give you heart. There are some soft dudes with muscles ala Dwight Howard.)
shakespeare
Writer

Postby nazrmohamed » April 27, 2017, 4:41 pm

So he's soft because he wouldn't answer questions from a media that we as fans acknowledge as decisive. Ok now I understand. You guys do realize that there are many things that can turn you into a villian in NY. Number one..... don't play along.

What if he went to the meeting and said "I don't talk about internal conversations". You think the result would be different? Nope, cuz he refused to give them fodder now they're turning against him.
PHISHER
nazrmohamed

Postby Don Che » April 27, 2017, 4:49 pm

Yeh I really dont see it...KP gets bodied but he fights out there. no article about questions is gonna change that.

guys go to the rim..KP goes up with him..for better or worse he goes after it. Eddy Curry who is the epitome of soft didnt apply half the fight KP does. Same with Bargs and many others.

KG is one of the most intense players in the sports history....KP isnt him but he isn't soft either. If KG is the boremeter only Russ/Kobe/AI are tough..the rest of the league are a bunch of pansies
Don Che

Postby taowave » April 27, 2017, 5:06 pm

KP isn't soft,he's physically weak.
Jackson himself was aware from day one that KP could be cut out of a similar mold as Sean Bradley.

Don't know how many of you guys have ever seen the Steve Nash training video,but that's the path KP should take.Nash knee that no matter how much he lifted,he would never get strong or super explosive.So he did strength train,buy he would do it while on unstable surfaces like an indo board balance trainer.Hos belief is he wanted to have super balance, skill and enough strength to absorb hits and still get off shots with sound mechanics.
KP should do basic compound lifts i.e. Clean and press,deadlift and squat,but that's all he really needs as far as strength.
The rest should be similar to Nash with some preventive yoga thrown in.
taowave

Postby Don Che » April 27, 2017, 5:18 pm

why he hasnt tried to do the sky hook is beyond me...Kareem used to be pushed off to 12-15 feet and give ppl the business with it.

SMH
Don Che

Postby taowave » April 27, 2017, 5:42 pm

Other than Magic,I don't think I have seen anyone with a hook shot since Kareem
taowave

Postby big_j_NY » April 27, 2017, 5:57 pm

Oh fellas, there is an article that says why neither KP nor any other big men has attempted to utilize the sky hook in a NBA game since Kareem/Magic

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/why-the-s ... 20557.html
#EmbraceTheTank2018

#InPorzingisWeTrust

Hassan Whiteside wrote:I'm just tryin...tryin 2 really get my NBA 2K rating up
big_j_NY

Postby Don Che » April 27, 2017, 7:34 pm

Retarded...forward kareems stats to this kid
Don Che

Postby NYGM » April 27, 2017, 8:30 pm

shakespeare wrote:
AGREED.

KP shies away from the physical contact. In that regard, I don't think a few added pounds and/or muscle will make a difference.

Not true.. WTF..

The Kid is already dunking on Dwight Howard and blocking shots right and left..
NYGM

Postby noypi » April 27, 2017, 8:51 pm

Guys, let them kids develop. KP and Willy are 21 and 22, respectively. They got 3-4 years to develop their defense, body and toughness. As Don said, they are on rookie deals and that's great. We got 2 big building blocks, a lottery pick and cap space. This draft we need to draft pg with good defensive potential like Fox or Ntilikina who is said to be one of the best perimeter defenders in the draft at only 18yrs old.

We need to cover up our two bigs' defensive deficiencies by getting really good and long 3&D defenders in the wings and guard spots. That's why I also want the Knicks go after Otto Porter or KCP and draft OG Anunoby, which I said early in the season when we were winning.
“I’m still chasing a championship, I’m just chasing it here in New York,’’ Anthony said. “I’ve come to peace with that. I’m doing it in my own way on my own time.”

http://nypost.com/2015/10/27/greatest-c ... -with-nyc/
noypi

Postby nazrmohamed » April 27, 2017, 9:57 pm

KP shies away from the physical contact. In that regard, I don't think a few added pounds and/or muscle will make a difference

First of all thats very much untrue. You guys are basing his softness on his platform. Platform in my definition is where you operate and start your offensive move. So based on that no, his platform is not the post. But I don't see how one doesn't view that as more a level of self awareness. He's a good shooter, can hit shots over people and otherwise drives to the basket when set up by any point guard who can get a ball to a big while in motion. He cleans up misses with monstrous put back dunks, he runs from out of camera to block shots. Dude met Russell Westbrook at a rim and pinned him. This isn't a WILL issue. For a mobile big he plays as tough as they come.

What he lacks is SKILL in the post and some strength to absorb contact. You guys are way overstating this narrative that he's a soft player. If you guys who watch sports, play sports cant see value in a player getting stronger then WTF have you been watching. Strength alone and he'd look tougher not even trying, let alone the confidence boost it gives you. He ain't gonna get better simply trying to act tough, he's gotta build it. Literally build it.....and study Kevin McHale religiously. Dude was bulimic and dominated.

But in the meantime hes doing this. Soft, please.

What do you guys want, Greg Monroe? He's a mobile big. Let him get some muscle, some strength and maybe a PG who dribbles with his eyes somewhere besides the rim and he'll be fine, yall stressin for no reason. If anything he's not soft, he's just not mature. Jumping around trying to block and jam everything, along with being thin got him hurt and now he's forced to learn how to operate in less space space. It'll be like developing a different skillset but seriously, i hope he looks up guys like Dirk, Smits, Mchale. Tall guys who move well in compact spaces.
PHISHER
nazrmohamed

Postby shakespeare » April 27, 2017, 10:40 pm

Phil Jackson, Derek Fisher and Kurt Rambis all said that KP shies away from physical contact.

That is what the men who drafted and coached him said.

And you're saying it's untrue?
shakespeare
Writer

Postby shakespeare » April 27, 2017, 10:44 pm

taowave wrote:KP isn't soft,he's physically weak.

Yeah, I know.

Now, name a NBA player that was "physically weak" but wasn't "soft."
shakespeare
Writer

Postby shakespeare » April 27, 2017, 10:47 pm

nazrmohamed wrote:So he's soft because he wouldn't answer questions from a media that we as fans acknowledge as decisive.

I didn't bold anything in the article regarding him not answering questions.

Not answering questions can be smart, in my humble opinion.
shakespeare
Writer

Postby shakespeare » April 27, 2017, 11:09 pm

nazrmohamed wrote: If you guys who watch sports, play sports cant see value in a player getting stronger then WTF have you been watching.

Soft is defined by more than stronger. Again, Greg Monroe and Dwight Howard are muscular AND soft. It's about one's heart. Porzingis has to want it.

There's nothing wrong with being soft. Dirk was soft. Durant is soft. And they reached ALL-NBA status. My words are not a dis; I'm all in on Porzingis.

It's a soft league, to be straight up. But I keep reading NYKFP members talk about KP needing to do this and do that to his body in the gym ala KG and AD...but he's never gonna build his body.

And why not? Cause that's not who he is. Let him be who he is.
shakespeare
Writer

PreviousNext

Return to New York Knicks