[Merged] Kristaps Porzingis is Going to Become a Perennial All-Star

Discuss New York Knicks news, current events, players, and history.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv

big_j_NY
Likes given: 1127

StevoStarks wrote:I saw that. He does understand what is happening, right?
Son is prolly salty that Knicks fans (and prolly NY sports media) thinks that the only way to get Anthony Davis to the Knicks in a trade is most likely by getting rid of him in the process...........so he's prolly all like "FUCK IT, JUST DO IT......I CAN'T GET ANY1 HERE ANYWAY BY MYSELF"

:LOL:
shakespeare
Likes given: 0

Lol, Big J.
#TeamTank
Irv
Administrator
Likes given: 184

Games Played: 186/296 (62.8%)
All-Star Game Starts: 0
All-Star Game Appearances: 0
All-NBA First Team Selections: 0
All-NBA Second Team Selections: 0
All-NBA Third Team Selections: 0
All-Defensive First Team Selections: 0
All-Defensive Second Team Selections: 0
MVP Award Shares: 0
Playoff Appearances: 0
Trade Demands: 1
big_j_NY
Likes given: 1127

Irv wrote:Games Played: 186/296 (62.8%)
Michael "Irv" Rapaport has entered the thread, ladies and gentlemen :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
Irv
Administrator

I'm not an incoherent fool who can't locate Latvia on a map and switches allegiances to the Nets because of who the fuck even remembers why?

But you'd be hard-pressed to find another player with as many zeros in all those rows making trade demands.
H20Knick
Likes given: 3

Irv wrote:Games Played: 186/296 (62.8%)
greatest. post. ever.
In Thibs we trust.

2018 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION
2015 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION
rebound
Likes given: 1156

Irv's activity on the forum using a KD avatar has me really hyped about this summer haha.
TOM THIBODEAU'S NEW YORK KNICKS PRESENT:
HEROBALL. A STORY OF THE MID RANGE FADEAWAY JUMPER.
STARRING JALEN BUMSON AND DUBIOUS HANDLES.
DrJ6

Change the thread title to "Kristaps Porzingis is Going to Become a Diva" and then close the thread.

The only, but huge, argument supporting KP's behavior is that he has really seen a lot of management circus during his short stint with the franchise.
"Tom Thibodeau had a great saying about our teams in New York: 'Maybe beaten, never out-competed.'"
Irv
Administrator

rebound wrote:Irv's activity on the forum using a KD avatar has me really hyped about this summer haha.
The funny thing is, I'm not completely convinced that KD is coming to New York, but even he has expressed more appreciation for what the Knicks are trying to do than KP, and KD has seen way more shit than KP.

Who cares if KP was drafted by this team? Amar'e had a more accomplished career in a Knicks uniform. Players look to play in the right situation for themselves and the Knicks have more going for them now to prospective free agents without having a malcontent oft-injured second-tier borderline star with a shitty crew of enablers consisting of never-was Euro players trying to cash in on their younger brother's glory. If Knicks fans fall back on past history and self-loathing as an excuse as to why the Knicks will never be successful, that's on them.
Red

December 30, 2017 (Injured February 6, 2018)

spree#8 wrote:Durability, rebounding, efficiency are the things KP has to show improvements. Durability not only in the sense of playing near 80 games in the future, but also on a daily basis. The best player on your team playing just 32 minutes a night won't cut it long-term. Rebounding is obvious and I mention efficiency, because KP has slowed down remarkably in this area.
spree#8 wrote:Still worried about KP's durability. He still is averaging just over 32 minutes per, but whining about being tired and other teams focusing on him.
https://nypost.com/2018/01/04/kristaps- ... -so-tired/
“I’m tired, I’m tired, I’m so tired right now,’’ Porzingis said in the visitors’ locker room at Capital One Arena. “I have one day to rest my legs and get back and play better and have more energy and try to bring the team’s energy up. We’re in a tough stretch. The mental part doesn’t help at all. When it’s mentally tough, you don’t have it in you.’’

Porzingis finished with 16 points — an afterthought after a 14-point first half when he got calls and got to the free-throw line. He didn’t seem to be scrapping and battling as the Wizards blew out the Knicks in the second half. Even Knicks coach Jeff Hornacek admitted the slender 22-year-old wasn’t running the floor as much as he would like.

Tuesday’s physical San Antonio loss took its toll.

“They were all focused [on] what I was doing,’’ Porzingis said of the Spurs defeat. “Wherever I went, there was contact, boom, boom, bumping me.”
8-)
taowave wrote:Dam,that is one soft mother pucker...
:?
taowave wrote:He's not a soft mother pucker because he tells the truth..

Guy can't post up Patty Mills,gets manhandled by G Nob and hits the deck when the wind blows his way...

And FWIW,I never heard any superstar tell the world how dam tired his legs are.
:hammer:
H20Knick wrote:Enough is enough. A whopping whole week into the season, certain people were already ready to call me out. "Still think KP isn't the best player on a championship team" "Kristaps Porzingis is an ALPHA"... and AGAIN, 2 months into the season, KP is already "tired" and "mentally drained". Now he's supposed to the man and he's complaining that Tim Hardaway Jr isn't around to help him. Kristaps Porzingis is a good player. Worth keeping and a find second fiddle. The Bradley Beal to your John Wall if you will. But the dude isn't the best player on a championship team. He rebounds like shit. He doesn't pass. He shies away from contact and/or just flops.

So to make this easier for you, I decided to go ahead and pull together some year 3 stats, now that KP has nearly half a season under his belt. I took minutes per game, usage %, effective FG%, PPG, rebounds per game, assists per game, player efficiency rating, defensive win shares, defensive box plus minus, and value over replacement player for KP as well as 6 other guys who were the best player on a championship team (highlighted in bold). These guys span different eras and different positions but they were all THAT guy who brought a title home. To add to this, I threw in some guys that shared KP's position who were studs. Amare, Bosh, Love. I threw in some of his best contemporaries as well. Davis. Towns. Giannis. And I also threw in the guy who he learned from. The guy who i've always said he plays just like. The guy you all said was never good enough to lead a championship because he didnt shoot as good of a percentage as his peers (see KP's percentage compared to his peers...), who didn't pass like his peers (see KP's usage% compared to his assists per game), who didn't defend like his peers (blocking shots aint defense ya know), who didn't lead like his peers (who blames a loss on fatigue and not having his inferior sidekick around?).

Next, I performed a simple principal component analysis. For those of you who don't regularly work with stats, basically you analyze the variance between samples. In this case our samples are players. Each statistical category is analyzed against each other statistical category to determine covariance (which stats trend together or trend oppositely in a reproducible fashion). The output is a list of uncorrelated variables. Not the individual stats you started with, but vectoral representations of the variance within the data set. We describe this variance in terms of principal component. Principal component 1 describes the majority of the variance. In many cases, people exclude principal component 1 because it usually carries most of the "noise" within a dataset. In this case, PC1 is going to bear the brunt of using players from different positions and different eras. We can plot the principal components against each other. Simply. Points that are nearby are similar. Points that are far apart are the same . I highlighted KP in blue. The champions in green. The nonchampions in black. I immediately noticed that the champions lined up quite nicely along principal component 2. If principal component 1 is noise, we can call principal component 2: The Champions Component. Guys who are champions cluster together on this axis. No matter what position you play, what era you played in, what the pace was, how good the competition was, you are very similar along pc2, whereas the guys who didn't win it all or haven't won it all yet are not near you. It's amazing how the data works out. Note: ALL i fed this analysis was the data you see above.

As you can see here, Kristaps Porzingis deviates from the champions component more than anyone else on this entire fucking plot. The closest person to him is MELO. (Shocker.). And Melo on year 3 was on the right trajectory, which is why we gave up the damn farm for him in the first place.

We can look at a 3D PCA to get a feel how the 3rd principal component contributes to the variance

So yes. Kristaps Porzingis is a fucking unicorn. He's unlike anyone on the list. He segregates from the dataset like a mythical creature never seen before. But that doesn't mean he's carrying us to a championship. It doesn't mean he's an alpha. And it indicates that he isn't like the best player on recent championship teams at the same point in their careers. So i'm not going to sit here and act like the knicks are even 30% of the way through a rebuild. It's going to take multiple big time draft picks and/or free agency moves (which historically have NEVER gone in the knicks favor) in order to win a title. If youd rather worship the unicorn than try to build a contender, so be it. But i'm not building my damn team around Kristaps Porzingis. If the BPA available is a 4, KP will learn to play the 5 or he can bring me back talent and picks.
Classic.
The Mecca of Mess
Irv
Administrator

I had to revisit that 2017-18 season and what stood out to me was how hard his shooting fell off after November. His TS% goes from excellent to complete trash in the course of a month. I do remember that being a major topic of concern in December and January that the quality of his shots went way down.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/pl ... plits/2018

The same thing happened in 2016-17 as well.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/pl ... plits/2017

He starts the season strong and breaks down before the new year. Since his conditioning will be an issue returning from a torn ACL, I don't see how that changes for the better next season either.

I'm sure this all looks like piling on at this point, but the bottom line is that a guy who can't even get through two full months of an NBA season without getting gassed was in no position to be making any kind of demands to the team. I don't think the Knicks would have been able to write up Embiid-style injury protections in a contract for KP either because he's had all sorts of different injuries already prior to the ACL. Of course, such clauses would have offended that prick Janis anyway.
Swiss-GrandMa

I can live with porzingis leaving new york. His durability is a big question mark and the knicks should not allow any player to dominate the franchise. So a trade was inevitable.

I honestly assume that he will never again finish a season with more than 60 games played.
But if porzingis stays healthy he will post crazy stats in Dallas next to doncic...so the posts above with porzingis doesnt have it or he is an overrated player is b***s***!
nazrmohamed
Likes given: 258

I started reading from the bottom up and of course, on my phone so I don't see the poster until after I read the post. Tell me how I knew once I saw the stats analysis and charts that it was H20? Dude always brings the goods.

Sometimes I do think stats can cloud situational understanding or a holistic view but I guess I must admit 2 things
-3 yrs is a pretty decent sample size that any situational excuse can be averaged out
-If you're a star you create your situation which he could've been if he stayed.

So in english alot of these stats dont take into account certain things when comparing players to thier piers. So if one were to say for instance

-"the last 3 years our Pg play has been trash"
-KP stinks in efficiency amongst his peers
-KP by position is a big, a position that creates less and relies on a pg more
-all of his peers (other star bigs) are on teams with great PGs

I dont know, maybe the answer is either hes not that bad considering we just admitted we don't have good play yet everyone we're choosing him to has one. Even so much as to admit that Luka is gonna be great for him. Why can we admit that? Why wasnt that a priority here?

Idk, but my point is maybe those are good questions for one season. Over the sample size of 3 seasons he shouldve figured it out OR instead of using his stature to bully the team into a trade, he used it to enact real internal change. Ex-I need a fucking stud PG like everyone else this way I can get easier buckets and play more efficiently.

However we can learn right? If you want your best player to be a big, you're very next priority should be ensuring you've solidified your PG position. I'm just saying. Have fun analyzing KP but let's not do that twice. You want Zion? Ok whose getting him the ball. It has to be the very next question. (I actually feel good about our pg situation now but that's another conversation)
nazrmohamed

DrJ6 wrote:Change the thread title to "Kristaps Porzingis is Going to Become a Diva" and then close the thread.

The only, but huge, argument supporting KP's behavior is that he has really seen a lot of management circus during his short stint with the franchise.
Not just that. Hes seen alot pof player turnover. We never shoulda signed Melo to that extension. And I'm not one of those Melo rubbed off on KP guys but just to say, we shoulda been at rock bottom when we signed KP and went up from there but instead it was more like Melos team with a high potential rookie. And not to say that KP came into winning but we were still talking that playoff nonsense and from that point went backwards. We shouldve been in the midst of a hard tank then and only could go up.

So KP got to watch all his friends traded, all his coaches fired. It's just too much, especially on a team with our reputation. I don't think we spend enough time talking with objective critics. Nobody trusts us. And in your heart you don't trust us. Why should KP
nazrmohamed

Always remember this too. Two weeks ago if you td me you lost KP I'd have told you the world had ended. Now on day two the world hasnt ended and I'm already making plans

Same goes for KP. Somebodies probably told him...."they'll bash you for a week, maybe NYers will never forgive you. But it's one fanbase in one city and time moves on."

It's better you find happiness and it's better the Knicks get some assets...... which we did so I don't hold a grudge. I got a team to rebuild.

H20, I hate to give you homework but I'd be curious to see how some of these draft picks do in your models, especially Zion.
Ari_Ingus

Kristaps Porzingis on Instagram: 'My Suggestion for Knicks Fans Is to STAY WOKE'. What could it mean ? Will he return after next season and join 2 all-stars we sign this offseason? :)
Irv
Administrator

My suggestion for KP is to stop being Enes Kanter lite on social media and learn to communicate like an adult.

Now back to your regularly scheduled Instagram thot-chasing exercises.
NewlyKnicked
Likes given: 165

Irv wrote:My suggestion for KP is to stop being Enes Kanter lite on social media and learn to communicate like an adult.

Now back to your regularly scheduled Instagram thot-chasing exercises.
:LOL:
Funny the skills KP picked up from the vets he played along: Melo's divaness, Kanter's social media diarrhea... Too bad he didn't play next to JR or Marbury he would have learned how to untie shoes and eat vaseline
2017 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
2020 Co-NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
2021 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
taowave
Likes given: 848

NewlyKnicked wrote: :LOL:
Funny the skills KP picked up from the vets he played along: Melo's divaness, Kanter's social media diarrhea... Too bad he didn't play next to JR or Marbury he would have learned how to untie shoes and eat vaseline
And lets not forget Phils masterpiece on Twitter; "Hows it Goink". ....
H20Knick
Likes given: 3

nazrmohamed wrote:

H20, I hate to give you homework but I'd be curious to see how some of these draft picks do in your models, especially Zion.

oooo, i like this

it might be a little misleading because strength of schedule is widely variable in college, but i'll put it on my to-do list
In Thibs we trust.

2018 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION
2015 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION