WE NEED RONDO

Discuss New York Knicks news, current events, players, and history.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv, cru77jones

Re: WE NEED RONDO

Postby n8 the gr8 » March 16, 2015, 11:49 am

Nononsense wrote:Fellas, this discussion of trading/not-trading our pick for Rondo is meaningless simply because--for the umpteenth time--we simply cannot trade our pick. Rules under the current CBA prevent teams from trading successive first round picks. We've traded all the first round picks that can be traded through 2017... or something like that. I think the next tradable pick is 2018... but don't quote me on the exactness of the year. Point being, any talk of trading this year's pick is a farce.

Draft night trades are different though, you can trade the rights to the player you pick. There aren't rules against it like there are with future first rounders.

IMO the Knicks could get much better value than Rondo for the pick but I would consider the Knicks signing him as a free agent depending on the contract. I think at this point he'd take a moderate 2 year deal. I'd be ok walking away from free agency with Rondo, Jordan and Matthews.
Trust Gaines
Doncic 2018
n8 the gr8

Postby Nononsense » March 16, 2015, 12:58 pm

n8 the gr8 wrote:Draft night trades are different though, you can trade the rights to the player you pick. There aren't rules against it like there are with future first rounders.

Hmm... not really aware of this. I know you can pick a player and trade the rights, but I'm not aware doing this in spite of the rule against trading successive pick over the span of consecutive years. Not saying you're wrong, but could you give me a link or point me in the right direction to verify this?
Nononsense

Postby thewatcher » March 16, 2015, 1:42 pm

n8's right Non. We can draft for another team, and the trade is announced after the draft.
n8 the gr8 wrote:
The first rule of NYKFP is you don't talk about NYKFP.
thewatcher

Postby StevoStarks » March 16, 2015, 2:49 pm

I don't see a situation where we trade our 1st round pick.
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
- Dr. Seuss

"Woody was the perfect coach for these mutts."
- taowave

"Is he REALLY injured?? A part of me doesnt believe that he is and I think he's just being a bitch. Bitch-nani."
- rynyk222
StevoStarks
Writer

Postby Don Che » March 16, 2015, 3:01 pm

No reason to...its just writers Talkin for the sake of it
Don Che

Postby DerekHarper » March 16, 2015, 3:22 pm

I think the trade won't happen but if we want to make the best of the pick having rondo would help
DerekHarper

Postby n8 the gr8 » March 16, 2015, 4:51 pm

Nononsense wrote:Hmm... not really aware of this. I know you can pick a player and trade the rights, but I'm not aware doing this in spite of the rule against trading successive pick over the span of consecutive years. Not saying you're wrong, but could you give me a link or point me in the right direction to verify this?

Sorry I couldn't find a link, I looked around and I couldn't find anything talking about the rule other than pretty generally. I might be interpreting it wrong but the rule only talks about future draft picks. I think it would have to mention it more specifically to prohibit teams from trading players rights.
Trust Gaines
Doncic 2018
n8 the gr8

Postby Nononsense » March 16, 2015, 6:01 pm

n8 the gr8 wrote:Sorry I couldn't find a link, I looked around and I couldn't find anything talking about the rule other than pretty generally. I might be interpreting it wrong but the rule only talks about future draft picks. I think it would have to mention it more specifically to prohibit teams from trading players rights.
thewatcher wrote:n8's right Non. We can draft for another team, and the trade is announced after the draft.

Okay, thanks fellas. :thumbsup:
Nononsense

Postby spree#8 » March 16, 2015, 6:03 pm

On draft night our pick is not a future pick anymore, that's why we could trade our first rounder then. But if Phil does that, I think I'm done with the Knicks. I don't see any likely trade that is worth such a high pick.
#knickstape
spree#8

Postby StevoStarks » March 16, 2015, 6:37 pm

spree#8 wrote:On draft night our pick is not a future pick anymore, that's why we could trade our first rounder then. But if Phil does that, I think I'm done with the Knicks. I don't see any likely trade that is worth such a high pick.

#1 pick for Steph Curry.
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
- Dr. Seuss

"Woody was the perfect coach for these mutts."
- taowave

"Is he REALLY injured?? A part of me doesnt believe that he is and I think he's just being a bitch. Bitch-nani."
- rynyk222
StevoStarks
Writer

Postby washingtonparkjones » March 16, 2015, 8:40 pm

I hate this thread. Hated it two years ago. Lousy vintage turned vinegar.
washingtonparkjones

Postby bobhait » March 17, 2015, 12:53 am

I don't want Rondo anywhere near this team. too much cash, too big a headcase, not enough veteran leadership to keep him in check
Hornacek Era prelude
bobhait

Postby Stressin » March 17, 2015, 2:10 am

StevoStarks wrote:I don't see a situation where we trade our 1st round pick.

There are several situation why Phil has to trade our 1st round pick .... Im not happy about it either
1) Have u seen the price for a Knicks game tickets! LOL
2) The Knicks organization dont want to be denied national tv coverage for two seasons in a row ..
Phil has to put a winning team on the court next season.
3) The 2015 top FA are feelin the same about joining the Knicks as Marc Gasol ..
Phil Jackson offseason job will be long & hard trying to sign 6 to 8 winning-veteran FA ..
Trading the pick for "Cousins" (not happening) would have FA interested in winning with Melo & Cousins on July 1st.
4) The first 4 picks in the 2015 draft are 19 and 20 years old .. rookie-project
In the past decade 70% of the top-10 players were 19 or 20 years old ..
Lately the NBA been water-down by rookie-projects it takes 3 to 4 seasons to become a decent role-player ..
We all know Cousins should have stayed 2 more years at Kentuky university ..
Its March Madness, Okafor & Towns performance look like they should'nt leave after their freshmen year.
Stressin

Postby noypi » March 24, 2015, 8:17 pm

Balkman's nose > Rondo's head.
“I’m still chasing a championship, I’m just chasing it here in New York,’’ Anthony said. “I’ve come to peace with that. I’m doing it in my own way on my own time.”

http://nypost.com/2015/10/27/greatest-c ... -with-nyc/
noypi

Postby DerekHarper » December 14, 2015, 8:50 pm

Please. Oh Please lets have RONDO, KP, and MELO. That would take me back to 99.
DerekHarper

Postby Don Che » December 14, 2015, 10:18 pm

We had our chance this offseason...no way Kings trade him now to us..we have nothing to offer.
Don Che

Postby noypi » December 15, 2015, 12:23 am

I knew Derek Harper would bring this old thread up lol. Rondo is having a great comeback. It only means that he will want max or near max money next year after his one-year deal is done in Sacto. If (or WHEN for jaded Knicks fans) we strike out on the Durant sweepstakes, I think Rondo is worth a look. It was rumored Rondo wanted to go to the Knicks when KG and Pierce left the Celts.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1698 ... -ny-knicks

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/melo- ... in-knicks/

Hopefully we could dump some salary (Calderon) and go after some realistic targets like Rondo and Batum next year.
“I’m still chasing a championship, I’m just chasing it here in New York,’’ Anthony said. “I’ve come to peace with that. I’m doing it in my own way on my own time.”

http://nypost.com/2015/10/27/greatest-c ... -with-nyc/
noypi

Postby DerekHarper » December 15, 2015, 1:08 am

I would sell the cow to get this dude. 2 1st round picks and KRU mom.
DerekHarper

Postby Red » December 15, 2015, 11:27 am

Red wrote:Rondo is exactly what we need imo. He plays D and distributes. He'll even get you a few boards not to mention he can control the rock and drive.

Only thing he's missing is the consistent jumper and like Kidd he can work on that. I'll take him. He's been there before and may want to stick it to his old team.

“We want to try to establish an identity. The identity has to become defense first,” Hornacek said. ...which means Melo off the bench.
Red

Postby washingtonparkjones » December 15, 2015, 1:12 pm

Fish better be ready to Steve Kerr up the triangle b/c a guard that can't shoot can't play in the current system.
washingtonparkjones

PreviousNext

Return to New York Knicks